Chaos-corrupted Sons of Horus

Deadass

A few of the topics I've recently browsed through started to get me thinking.
I know of many gorgeous SoH armies, representing the nature of the 16th legion very well.
I'm also aware of a ton of amazing Chaos Space Marine forces, this forum is jam-packed with amazing conversions and enviable paintjobs - but I've never seen the two properly combined.
There are precious few pictures of Sons of Horus armies out there representing late Heresy- or Scouring-era armies, showing strong chaos corruption and the use of daemonic weaponry. I'm consdering to building marines befitting of that description myself, maybe for a couple of games of HH, or as another warband. I always prefer looking at what has been done already before beginning a new project, and so I was surprised when I found out that next to none of those armies exist.
Maybe you guys have had better luck searching for such an army in the past, or perhaps you own one yourself? In either case, I'd appreciate any links, pictures or recommendations where I might find some chaosified Sons of Horus.

Thanks for reading!

-Horrible

You may be among the first to do so! I cannot recall browsing around the internet seeing post heresy/scouring era Sons of Horus. I think most AoD SoH armies will be set amongst those glorious, imperium burning days while Horus himself still lived. When the HH books comes to their end and the FW ones catch up to the siege and its aftermath maybe we could see more folks produce the XVI on their downward spiral as they retreat to the eye.

Personally, I would love to see more fluff revolving the scouring. I would even love more fluff regarding the Legion Wars in the Eye. I set my Black Legion army's timeframe as the first Black Crusade. Later on I had thought it would have been a lot cooler to set it after Abaddon and his new legions rise as they started expanding their borders in the Eye.

I considered building my Sons of Horus force to be Scouring era and use the Chaos codex rules to proxy units but I've decided to go for a Heresy era army. The Scouring era Sons of Horus will become a Kill Team now, I think. 

You may be among the first to do so! I cannot recall browsing around the internet seeing post heresy/scouring era Sons of Horus. I think most AoD SoH armies will be set amongst those glorious, imperium burning days while Horus himself still lived. When the HH books comes to their end and the FW ones catch up to the siege and its aftermath maybe we could see more folks produce the XVI on their downward spiral as they retreat to the eye.

Personally, I would love to see more fluff revolving the scouring. I would even love more fluff regarding the Legion Wars in the Eye. I set my Black Legion army's timeframe as the first Black Crusade. Later on I had thought it would have been a lot cooler to set it after Abaddon and his new legions rise as they started expanding their borders in the Eye.

I feel the same way. The best depiction of full-on heretic Sons of Horus originates from Vengeful Spirit, where we also saw the creation of the Luperci. I really enjoyed the direction they were developing into. The Sons have this certain theme around them - very no-nonsense, very unscrupulous. They are brutal in a way that was different from the World Eaters or the Night Lords - they just feel evil in a very calculated manner, if that makes any sense. When the influence of chaos seeped into the legion both at the end of and after the HH, these attributes only became more pronounced, but I believe that that aspect got kinda lost when the Black Legion came into existence.

That's why I'm trying to center my own Black Legion warband around cthonian culture, as I believe that a lot of the SoH ruthlessness and ferocity came from their roots on that exploited mining world. I want them to feel as much as a legion's figting force as possible, which is why I want to use as little "true" CSM equipment as possible. On the flipside, I'm thinking about looking into those who continued to wear the green, as that might feel a bit more natural.

I considered building my Sons of Horus force to be Scouring era and use the Chaos codex rules to proxy units but I've decided to go for a Heresy era army. The Scouring era Sons of Horus will become a Kill Team now, I think. 

That's a really solid idea. I imagine them to look like the "newer" chaos space marines we've got, like the DV chosen or the raptors. I hope you don't mind me stealing that idea to have my own go at it sooner or later... :sweat:

I'm liking the sound of this, I remember a while ago someone made a corrupted Mournival with each member showing the influence of a different God, might be in the Hall of Honour somewhere?

As you say, I think the brutal nature of the true-bred Cthonians would lend itself very well to accepting Chaos as another weapon with which to destroy the Warmaster's foes. The Sons have their preferences, but they aren't fussy, they'll kill you any which way.

Vengeful Spirit, there's another novel I need to go pick up. And I never heard of the Luperci until I googled it just now. That seriously sounds awesome. I love the Gal Vorbak minis and sounds like a cool way to use them for something other than the Word Bearers. I even have two blade slaves that may be joining a Luperci remnant for my warband. *Fluff ideas grow...

The SoH have that predatory nature of a beast that simply kills at the precise moment. These guys would go for the throat or decapitate their foes right as a battle began. They'd go in and kill the command elements of their foe and then just slaughter the rest. I like to imagine the professionalism of the legion went WAAAAAYYY down following the death of Horus. My own summary is every time that guy falls his legion breaks out in a murderous panic it feels like. Without him wielding the legion they lost their edge. It's ironic too that without their leader they became easy pickings.

As for the Black Legion, reading the two latest novels. They aren't related at all to the XVI. Remnants of that legion can be found in the BL but it is a new animal altogether.

I also think you will find quite a gripping and possibly tragic timeframe to center the Sons of Horus starting with their Retreat from Terra to the near conclusion of the Legion Wars. They have fled from Terra, their Primarch is dead, and they are masters of nothing. They were once first among equals and they've begun their freefall into despair and disgrace. Retribution is on their heels and their former brothers in arms loathe them. Nothing gets better when they escape into the Eye and into Hell. They are raided by their once allied legions, they are being targeted for vengeance for their retreat, and they are trying everything & anything to survive. Around this time they probably fracture. Sure they have holdings in the Eye and Lupercalios but there is no real figure truly uniting them. Abaddon leaves them. Their holdings are raided, their ships are split open, their brothers murdered, and a blade hangs over them all once Lupercalios falls.

In there you have you Sons of Horus fighting tooth and nail to survive. They beseech their new Dark Gods for power and providence. Weapons are spent with resupply becoming more of a fantasy. They turn to possession in desperation for power. All the while they are hunted. They are struggling, murdered, and dying.

It's really exciting imagining them going through all of this. If Kill Team CSM has possessed I think I know the next team I want to build.

*EDIT*  I'd also love to check out this mournival you are all talking about. Wouldn't that be the Chosen of Abaddon though? His four mightiest warlords or something like that?

I'd also love to check out this mournival you are all talking about. Wouldn't that be the Chosen of Abaddon though? His four mightiest warlords or something like that?

Yeah, that makes sense. I'll have another look!

As for the Black Legion, reading the two latest novels. They aren't related at all to the XVI. Remnants of that legion can be found in the BL but it is a new animal altogether.

Indeed. The SoH and BL have vast differences, but I wanted my Dreadreavers to be reminiscent of the times Khayon tells the inquisition about: when the Black Legion was young and united, before the degeneration began. They live by Cthonian culture due to that particular warband's origins - all of them merciless fighters, and very proud to still call themselves the warmaster's portion.

I also think you will find quite a gripping and possibly tragic timeframe to center the Sons of Horus starting with their Retreat from Terra to the near conclusion of the Legion Wars. They have fled from Terra, their Primarch is dead, and they are masters of nothing. They were once first among equals and they've begun their freefall into despair and disgrace. Retribution is on their heels and their former brothers in arms loathe them. Nothing gets better when they escape into the Eye and into Hell. They are raided by their once allied legions, they are being targeted for vengeance for their retreat, and they are trying everything & anything to survive. Around this time they probably fracture. Sure they have holdings in the Eye and Lupercalios but there is no real figure truly uniting them. Abaddon leaves them. Their holdings are raided, their ships are split open, their brothers murdered, and a blade hangs over them all once Lupercalios falls.

In there you have you Sons of Horus fighting tooth and nail to survive. They beseech their new Dark Gods for power and providence. Weapons are spent with resupply becoming more of a fantasy. They turn to possession in desperation for power. All the while they are hunted. They are struggling, murdered, and dying.

It's really exciting imagining them going through all of this. If Kill Team CSM has possessed I think I know the next team I want to build.

Same! A kill team of Sons of Horus sounds more and more intriguing. I imagine they'd have become pirates by now, not unlike the Red Corsairs. Raiding others for supplies, their enemies massively outnumber their allies. Set in the 42nd millenium, they'd be considered part of the thrice-cursed traitors - some of the Black Legion's most hated foes. An army could be made up of not only space marines and possessed, but perhaps even cultist miltia, recruited to bolster their comparatively low numbers. Perhaps one of two contemptor dreads to invoke a bit of that legion feeling... yeah, that sounds like one hell of a collection to work on. :happy.:

That's a really solid idea. I imagine them to look like the "newer" chaos space marines we've got, like the DV chosen or the raptors. I hope you don't mind me stealing that idea to have my own go at it sooner or later... :sweat:

Imitation is the highest form of flattery, after all. :wink:

It isn't an original concept by any means, so go ahead! I look forward to see what you're going to come up with. Speaking about DV chosen, I do have a few lying around that my Night Lords don't need....

There's actually scattered remnants of the Sons of Horus in 40K still. They bear the original scheme and everything. They were hunted down by Abaddon and Co. when he destroyed Horus' corpse, but many escaped. I can't remember what they're called, though...

Check out Kizzdoug's stuff!

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/236305-the-sekhmethh-emperors-children-ec-centurion-13718/page-121

There's actually scattered remnants of the Sons of Horus in 40K still. They bear the original scheme and everything. They were hunted down by Abaddon and Co. when he destroyed Horus' corpse, but many escaped. I can't remember what they're called, though...

They're called the True Sons.

Not that it will help your search right now, but this has been rolling around in the back of my brain and it's exactly what I want to do once I get back to my Chaos projects; return and update and expand my Black Legion, but I also want to do a late Heresy Sons of Horus army as well, if I ever get to find the time. Exactly as you've said, there are great examples of the beginning and the ultimate destination, but not much showing that transitional period. I've also been tempted to do an early pre-Black Legion warband of an overt mix of Legions who are just starting to turn to the Black. So, what I guess I'm getting at is, great idea, I hope to see you take it forward, and hopefully, I can offer some future inspiration... someday.

I think it would make for a great looking army.

For cultists maybe try those new cawdor (spelling?) gangers and mark them up with chaos runes. They look like the dregs that would have been born and raised in a decrepit legion warship (any warship really). They aren't uniformed and organized armsmen that the navy had nor are they legion serfs. Their could be a few surviving trained crewmen leading them but their numbers are far to few and their authority may mea little to the scum they lead. These guys & gals are whatever scum that could be scrounged up, given near useless weapons in all manners of disrepair, and forced to fight. They know they can fight their masters enemies and have chance of survival or disobey and surely die in the most agonizing manner as a warning to others.

Marines with a healthy amount of damage to their armor and maybe even bits that do not match the old legion scheme. Maybe they took the gauntlet off a dead foe since theirs just got ruined in battle. Maybe they had parts mended with what little supplies are left but paint had long gone ran out. Squads could even be mixed up a bit. Maybe a former catulan reaver is leading a marine squad, with one of his former squadmates toting a heavy weapon, as their original unit were gravely reduced and survivors found their own way into new units. They also could be brandishing fetishes and charms of their new gods along with some flesh changes.

Tanks and walkers also show heavy damage to their frames as they carry most of the weight in a fight. Signs of damage and hasty repairs are rampant. Parts of other vehicles are attached to make up for short comings.  Perhaps the heavy bolter on a sponson of a predator is repleace with a marine heavy bolter attached and hard wired to make up for the loss. The power fist of a contemptor has been so damaged they fused a plate of tank armor onto the broken limb for battering. And that other dread over there is bleeding from its joints...where flesh has been goring between the moving gears and pistons.

The more I think about this though I find myself a bit inspired by ADB's Night Lords. Those guys were at the bottom of the barrel and a SoH Warband in the scouring and the legion wars could find themselves in such a predicament. I think great notes could be jotted down for such a SoH warband. These former Sons are fighting for survival so they will attack weak prey hoping to garner resources for their troops (maybe they even fight over the spoils) and maybe even supplies for their ships with minimal loss. They are always on edge as all former traitor allies are now aggressive and hostile to their broken legion. Maybe rivaling elements from the Sons of Horus legion seek their demise. It's not surprising that brother turns on brother nowadays. Heck, maybe another warband had taken over their ship and enslaved them and only recently they broke away...but they will be hunted again in retribution.

I think it's a classic case of the IP starting with Black Legion, then prequeling in Luna Wolves, then introducing Sons of Horus as an interim step. Nice, neat, orderly, yet the border regions between each are room for so much flavor.

I think the Scouring-era Sons of Horus are an extremely fascinating area to explore since not only is it the first real "oh crap, daddy's dead!" moment for a traitor legion (Curze's relationship with the VIII is different enough that I dont think that counts), but it was the Primarch and the leader of the heresy as well. What would have been a triumph that could never be surmounted instead becomes an uequalled failure.

I haven't read any of the Black Legion novels, but it's easy to see how Abaddon and co would strive so hard to forge an entirely new identity.

The new Black Legion novels are great reads. More top shelf offerings from ADB so definitely pick it up when you can.

Years ago I thought of doing Black Legion since it was like the culmination of everything Chaos under one banner. Yet after I read Talon of Horus and Black Legion I was enamored with their genesis and that's really why I started building them up as my army late last year.

And like I said before, I do hope we get more on the scouring and the legion wars. It would be a living nightmare for the SoH as you said Indefragable since it was their Primarch who died and they turned tail and ran.

The Black Legion novels are awesome, yeah. A quick read I can recommend if you're interested in the death of the Sons of Horus as a legion is Extinction, which was written by ADB as well. It covers multiple scenes of the other legions attacking the Sons, and you get a relatively good idea of what the warriors of the sixteenth are feeling while what remains of their former lives crumbles around them. It's only a couple of bucks, definetely worth it in my opinion.

Also, today we get to see which kind of units us CSM players get to use in Kill Team. Hopefully, possessed are available...

I am currently reading through Vengeful Spirit during my lunch breaks and enjoying it. There is just a ton going on though.

Extinction will be next on my list. It sounds pretty interesting. Is it one of those short stories they put together for a whole book?

And yes, fingers crossed we get some goodies. I can see why they did it but Drukhari only getting Wyches & Warriors and the Halrequins with their Players make me worry. I've probably posted this a hundred times but I seriously hope we get Cultists, Marines, Possessed and a way to get Berzerkers & Noise Marines.

It's advertised as a pequel to Talon of Horus, which makes sense considering the plot of the story. I believe the limited edition of Talon incorporated the short, but I don't know for sure.

Cultists and Marines should be available, considering they're troops choices. Not sure wether 'Zerkers or Noise Marines will be around, though they're pretty important for WEs and EC respectively. I'm also uncertain about the possessed, though I'd say that we've got good chances of getting them with the inclusion of primaris marines for loyalists.

There is a french unboxing video up on youtube and he flicks through the kill team rulebook including the faction section. Unfortunately it's only CSM and cultist troops available to us, nothing else. There is a thing about putting chaos marks on certain troopers though.

That was your first post Midnight Brotherhood and it wounded me deep haha. Good to know though. This feeling of disappointment feels really familiar from those 5th & 6th edition days so I feel at home. I really was hoping for more since loyalist got their big marines. Then again why not, more chance for GW to sell them too (heck I want some for conversions and MAYYYBE for throne loyal dogs). Well, I hope we get some sweet stuff and I will figure out how to make it all work. And at least there is still Heralds of Ruin to fall back onto. They have a lot going on but I just haven't played it with the new 8th edition update.

I'm wondering if buy the Gal Vorbak how well will they stand on a 32mm base and I may be getting Escher gangers for my cultists. That's going to be for my Black Legion. Going to have to see about this mark business and what weapons we get so I can sort out my World Eaters.

As for Extinction I will search for it once I finish the current book I'm on. Sounds like an interesting read but I just did not know of it. Reminds me of those comics they put out before movies that flesh out the story a bit more (I think the star trek reboot did that and it explained Nero and his ship more among other details. The predator movie with Adrian Brody had a comic set before the events of film as well). I bought Talon of Horus and Black Legion on my phone but I would love to buy a physical copy for my shelf. They were that great.

No harm. This is the Heretic's Realm so it should be expected :wink:

Well, glad you joined up and started posting. Definitely share your Night Lords when you can. The more warbands the more merrier!

Need to wait on the rules but I am interested in what I can do to make this team work. I may finally cave and get gangers and arm them up as cultists. For marines I hope I can give them a gun and melee weapon. I still want to get Gal Vorbak to use as corrupted marines but I want them to be a threat in any range. I am also thinking I may try to add details to show that they were Reavers once upon a time.

Archived