Music for WH40K

Dracos

I'm looking for some music to listen to while attempting to get my models painted. I listen to battle reports and podcast but looking to add music that moves me also.

I realized recently when I listen to the Long War podcast on Youtube, I replay the start two or three times before moving on. It's the music intro that I enjoy.

Does anyone know the origin for their intro music? or music very similar to it?

Thanks for any information

Dracos

Does anyone know the origin for their intro music? or music very similar to it?

It's probably some kind of royalty-free music that they can use without owing anybody money. There are various websites dedicated to this sort of thing but I suspect that finding the particular track will be like looking for a needle in a stack of other needles.

I'm not sure what the long war pod cast's intro music is from.

I listen to Joe Rogan, a comedy channel on Pandora (George Carlin, Sam Kineson Chris rock, etc)

I also have a play list that is mostly video game background music and video game music remixes. There is this one remixer that goes by goat who does excellent metal takes on Castlevania and Contra (and other games) themes.

https://youtu.be/xZKsnmOdJfo

I also listen to game sound tracks. The Sword's Warp Riders alblum reminds me of if not Legion Chaos marines then definitely Red Corsairs renegades.

Night City is pretty much describing a day in Commaghora(sp).

I'm not sure what the long war pod cast's intro music is from.

I listen to Joe Rogan, a comedy channel on Pandora (George Carlin, Sam Kineson Chris rock, etc)

I also have a play list that is mostly video game background music and video game music remixes. There is this one remixer that goes by goat who does excellent metal takes on Castlevania and Contra (and other games) themes.

https://youtu.be/xZKsnmOdJfo

I also listen to game sound tracks. The Sword's Warp Riders alblum reminds me of if not Legion Chaos marines then definitely Red Corsairs renegades.

Night City is pretty much describing a day in Commaghora(sp).

Warp Riders is such a great album.  Although I really like pretty much everything they have done.  The Sword is one of my go to bands to listen to at work or when building models.

There is some fantastic instrumental rock (often called post-rock or post-metal) out there. Pelican, Talons, Aesthesys, Reformat (Mechanicus vibes all over the place there) and Russian Circles are particular favourites. Also Isis (really unfortunate name) and Cult of Luna's vocals are near enough unintelligible, and the latter's Vertikal conjures images of Titans for me every time.

Also Mick Gordon's Doom OST is many levels of savage.

Edited by bluntblade

• 2 weeks later...
The soundtrack of Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate. That game just nailed it. The intro, the voices of the Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines... The banter between the two... And the music... My gosh, it sounded moody, gothic and epic all at once. This game single handedly brought me into 40k, and the music alone played a huge role in it's impact on a 12 year old Boldthreat. Now I'm 33 and the music still puts me in the mood to keep painting.

I have a few songs for you mate, no lyrics. They are, at least for me, very feel good and heroic music. Suitable for the glorious astartes of the Emperor!

Pandemic by Really Slow Motion

Something to Believe in by Epic Score

Time Will Remember Us by Epic Score

There are plenty more songs by Epic Score that are really amazing, and fit really well into the 40k universe. My personal favorite!

I have another song, although I have only been able to find it on Youtube. Mars Colony Theta, I got it from watching a bat rep by Strikingscorpion. Lol.

Hope you like them brother!

Edited by Ultramarine vet

Mastodon's more progressive albums make for some great listening. Their albums usually follow a concept or overarching story, lyric-wise, and the music features 3 different vocal styles, spacey guitars and wild time signatures.

My personal fave, Crack the Skye (while inspired by the drummer's sister's suicide) has a number of themes including astral travel, outer body experiences and Tsarist Russia. The opening track, Oblivion, is amazing and gives you a good feel for whats to come. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcvdkw6v3fE

For sheer brutality and grimdark, I can't think of anything more 40k than Converge's You Fail Me, especially the titular song: 

:cussing brutal. I can imagine Iron Warriors slowly, grindingly advancing onto unflinching Death Korps trenches to that song on a 10 hr repeat. My first tattoo is from the cover art of one of their albums.

Edited by kronapaints

Something like Iron Maiden would be my 1st choice.   Good 80s metal and 40k are like peanut butter and jelly.  Classical music works great as well.  For either a game or painting.  

I listen to what ever I am in the mood for which can include audio books and shows. I spend most of the time I am watching a show just listening mostly.  
I've spent plenty of painting sessions listening to Carl Sagan's cosmos. Imaging that. painting Orks to stories of Robert Goddard. 

Movie soundtracks are good too. 

Give classical music a try too. Not the overly classical, but somewhere along the lines of 19th and early 20th century composers, who inspired many film score composers too. Symphonies and ballets are best for they don't contain singing that can disturb some.

Just as other instrumental pieces it allows one to be carried away in imagination while focusing on painting.

Dvorak (his new world symphony will ring a bell), Grieg (his Peer Gynt will also be familiar), Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Kussevitsky, Mussorgsky, will have pieces that are modern enough to many people while not being wild and mad :)

Ravel, Debussy (mostly very calm and refreshing) , Rachmaninoff (or Rachmaninov, most Russian composers in -ov are also transcribed -off), Stravinsky (quite unique, a bit crazy sometimes but that's what I like with him) are more modern, sometimes bordering on early jazz for Debussy for example, but very enjoyable as well.

John Williams, while mostly writing movie scores, is also a prominent orchestral composer. There is also a classical guitar player called that so if it's a single guitar playing you've got the other guy :)

The best for discovering the vast world of classical music is perhaps to select a few pieces that you tried, put them in a playlist on your favorite app, and use the Like /Dislike keys when the playlist starts to veer into automated suggestions to adjust the auto-selection. I use Spotify for that and it learns quite well.

I really only listed a few that I often suggest for they are not the overplayed old guard of Strauss yet they sound familiar because they often pop up in movies, so the listener doesn't feel too lost :) this world is vast and surprising, give it a shot =)

Edited by Isolia

I listen to everything depending on the mood, but if I am in a particularly grimdark mood the choice is always Black Label Society's 1919 Eternal.

I can't listen to music all the time however and I add in podcasts as well as lore videos or documentarys.

• 2 weeks later...

I love to listen to GW audio dramas and audiobooks when I paint. Heart Of Rage, Helion Rain, Devastation Of Baal for example. I'm also a big fan of movie soundtracks like Gladiator or LOTR. Classical music works too, not light happy stuff, but Wagner or Holst.