Music for WH40K

Dracos

Lately been sticking on a lot more Au Revoir Simone and Isobel Campbell, twee pop and shoegaze, if anything else apart from being sparkly and Majestic as F*** it combats the horrid manbro wanna be swole cliché that our hobby has going with the necro-thrash-rustysheets or whatever that genre is called

Lately been sticking on a lot more Au Revoir Simone and Isobel Campbell, twee pop and shoegaze, if anything else apart from being sparkly and Majestic as F*** it combats the horrid manbro wanna be swole cliché that our hobby has going with the necro-thrash-rustysheets or whatever that genre is called

:facepalm:

Gloryhammer reminds me of Dragonforce. That was a solid song... and wouldn't you know they're in concert next weekend about an hour from me... hrm...

And now I'll need to look up Dragonforce.

Man, I'd never heard of Gloryhammer, but it struck me as a very close mix between Dragonforce and Rhapsody of Fire.  Man, brings back memories of bombing through my farm town in a pickup truck with 'da crew' which was like a third of the hockey team on our way to D&D night.  It's EXACTLY as it sounds. 

Looking back at what I put before, my preferences haven't changed: I just added Powerwolf and a bunch of nightcore to the line up. 

Still my go to inspiration for Sons of Horus. 

Edited by Vykes

Gloryhammer reminds me of Dragonforce. That was a solid song... and wouldn't you know they're in concert next weekend about an hour from me... hrm...

Worth going, they are solid live as well.

The best thing about them IMO is the self-awareness. The entire concept of the band is a parody of the Power Metal genre, and yet they still manage to be an actual good example of power metal while doing it.

To vaguely link it back to 40k, this was shared by the band on their Facebook page:

gallery_84244_11417_1620.jpg

Presumably it's a fan-made reference to the fact that the first album and second have very similar features and share many of the same characters, despite being set a millennium apart in fantasy and sci-fi settings respectively. The man behind the music, Chris Bowes, is (or at least was) a D&D and Warhammer Fantasy player, and there's a little allusion to 40k at the beginning of the second album ("In the distant future of 1992, war has returned to the galaxy"). For those interested, he's also responsible for the similarly ridiculous Pirate-Metal band Alestorm, and "the greatest electropunk synth-beancore band the world neither asked for nor needed!", Christopher Bowes and His Plate of Beans.

Also relevant to the overall theme of music with a lean into the tropes dealt with by Warhammer, the band Wind Rose are supporting Gloryhammer on the upcoming tour (at least in Europe) and could be safely described as "Dwarven Metal"