Music for WH40K

Dracos

I like to listen to Johnny Cash because Cash is great and I love him. If I want something atmospheric, Wardruna and Danheim don't disappoint. 

I listen to Five Finger Death Punch when painting. I find it soothes me.

Truly, you are a gentleman of fine taste. 

I like to listen to Johnny Cash because Cash is great and I love him. If I want something atmospheric, Wardruna and Danheim don't disappoint.

Wardruna is the only thing I listen to when working on my Space Wolves.

An Autumn for Crippled Children is my usual background noise when painting Chaos, and Alcest for Eldar.

I believe Warhammer World actually sell a CD of tracks compiled from various 40k video games.

Somewhat related, the song "Sword of Retribution" on the Tad Morose album Matters of the Dark has more than enough references in the lyrics to suggest it takes it's name from the Overlord Class Battle Cruiser from the Battlefleet Gothic book.

Hmm, I guess I go a bit eclectic but usually low on lyrics when I'm painting.  That is, when I'm not churning through a 30K audiobook.  

Wardruna is one I only just got into, but it's pretty good.  A fair number of John William scores, Gustav Holst, lot of Jeremy Soule's soundtrack stuff (the Elder Scrolls, Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege, Baldurs Gate, Dawn of War ), Video game soundtracks in general (I've ended up listening to way too many of my older childhood ones with Mario RPG, Kirby, Sonic, Megaman, Zelda, Tie Fighter, then some newer ones like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Gears of War, etc.weirdly the fan made Star Fox animated series OST has a lot of good lonely grungy style music), Two Steps from Hell, and then there's... -winces- anime soundtracks.  Lots of those, an embarrassing number of those.  But they're still good mood music and kind of mindless lyric-less stuff keeps my mind focused (Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann, Paranoia Agent, Sword Art Online, Fairy Tale, etc)  

And ska... because ska.  

There's a lot of music I use for planning or just when I'm mulling over ideas, and they're by groups like Sonata Arctica, Sabaton, Battle Beast, Blind Guardian, I just find I don't paint well when I'm listening to them.  

I usually listen to podcasts or put episodes of shows on in the background (currently going through x-files), but if I do listen to music I tend towards complex post-hardcore/alt-metal stuff like Norma Jean, Devil Sold His Soul, He Is Legend etc. Heavy and atmospheric.

Sound tracks,Conan,the first not this latest version. Aaron Copeland,Star Wars ,Battlestar Gallactica. Patton ,and In Harms Way, John Wayne. Weirdly the captain of my ship would blare the opening theme from ,Patton as we came alongside the tanker as we began underway refueling. I love the music ,but always wondered why he chose a movie about the Army.

I listen to a lot of music but Kreator: Enemy of God just drips of the 40k grimdark atmosphere.

Edit: something slightly different but still fitting for 40k: Next Chapter from the Fullmetal Alchemist soundtrack. Epic, would fit as a theme for Custodes or some Marines.

Edited by Spiritual Liege

I like a wide variety of music when I model, ranging from classical, to Johnny Cash, to Iron Maiden, to heavier stuff too. I wouldn't mind seeing if I can legally download some movie and gaming soundtracks, I really like to he DoW soundtrack from when I played the game years ago, and my FLGS owner back in the day used to play the T2 and Stargate movie sound tracks on the store CD system, and some of my favourite memories looking back on my life were when I'd pull a Sicky from school, catch the train into city and look through all of the old White Dwarfs fr the late 80'e and early 90's.

• 8 months later...

Just about anything by "Bolt Thrower"

I mean... Look at their early album cover art provided by GW.

http://www.deathmetal.org/wp-content/uploads/bolt-thrower-realm-of-chaos-cover-700x682.jpg

The entire track list for their second album is straight out of 40k

"Eternal War"

"Through the Eye of Terror"

"Dark Millennium"

"All that Remains"

"Lost Souls Domain"

"Plague Bearer"

"World Eater"

"Drowned in Torment"

"Realm of Chaos"

"Prophet of Hatred"

Edited by Canadian_F_H

http://www.deathmetal.org/wp-content/uploads/bolt-thrower-realm-of-chaos-cover-700x682.jpg

"Eternal War"

"Dark Millennium"

"All that Remains"

"Lost Souls Domain"

"Plague Bearer"

"World Eater"

"Drowned in Torment"

"Realm of Chaos"

"Prophet of Hatred"

Thanks will look it up!!

I'll just throw in anything Debauchery with classics like:

Enemy of Mankind

Blood for the Blood God

Murdermaker

Let there be blood

For the Emperor

Heavy Metal Monsternaut

Blood is my trademark

Demonslayer

(try to guess their favourite chaos god :teehee: )

Imo worlds better than Bolt Thrower.

Edited by sfPanzer

There's an aussie Prog/Death band called Be'lakor (obviously named after the Daemon), but I've no idea whether or not they have any actual Warhammer lyrical content.

If you prefer your metal vocalists a bit more melodic, there's also Sword of Retribution by Tad Morose.

"Eternal War"

"Dark Millennium"

"All that Remains"

"Lost Souls Domain"

"Plague Bearer"

"World Eater"

"Drowned in Torment"

"Realm of Chaos"

"Prophet of Hatred"

Well, they were produced by the Warhammer Records label, which was a subsidiary of Games Workshop!

Which also produced them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Rok

Bolt thrower, especial those early albums were very blast beat heavy. And definitly death metal. I'm not saying its the greatest thing out there. And it's not from my favorite generas and styles of music. But that album is very literally 40k themed and the vintage of it probably means it's the 1st directly 40k themed music out there.

I just like some of the old classics about warfare, especially when playing imperial guard.

Specifically.

"one" - metallica

"for whome the bell tolls" - metallica

"disposable heroes" - metallica

"territory" - sepultura

A lot of 80s thrash had war themes so they are good for 40k imo. And Cmon... Legio Metallica anyone?

Personally I was listening to the albums "back in black" and "razors edge" by ACDC a lot when I had just gotten the codex armageddon. So they are permanently associated with that war in my mind.

For music that generally fit some 40k themes then I'd also have:

(Considering how the narrative usually is Marine focussed and the Guardsmen, or rather Conscripts, are just there to die)

(should be obvious :tongue.: )

Edited by sfPanzer