Mathorne's Projects - The Birth of Argel Tal

I go a little too blood crazy on Khorne models

Angron: "What you speak of is nonsense! How can a devout worshiper of Khorne be 'too blood crazy,' when the Blood God has an unquenchable thirst for blood? Say it, my son!"

Khârn: "Maim! Kill! Burn! Maim! Kill! Burn! Maim...!"

Angron: "See? In Khorne's name, I demand you BATHE our models in blood! The green and blue ichor of xenos will do, but do not dare spare the lifeblood of any model!"

Great collection of Word Bearers mate! Quite a bright red you re using, works nicely.

The World Eater terminators look also very good, nice job with the white. I find painting wihte a very hard job but your´s looks on point! Also to me it appears like these Terminators work very cleanly with their weapons (at least for World Eaters), they could use some more gore in my opinion but then the white would maybe be too stained and not so good anymore, either ways like I aleady said they look good as they are :wink:

@Bjorn Well if the Primarch demands it then I shall make it so :wink:

@Kor Dairon Thanks for the kind words! That's been my struggle so far. I love a clean white, but I find it hard to keep that crispness once enough blood covers it up. Luckily the buddy I'm painting them for isn't too picky, so I can experiment a bit with more blood deeper in. I plan on his red butchers just being soaked in it. 

Speaking of which its time for an update of what I've been painting this weekend:

Apothecary and Sgt 1/21/19

Part of the work I've been doing is repairing the fallen battle brothers from an ill fated battle with his dog. Ironic the World Eaters fell to a Warhound but I've chosen not to remind him of that... yet :teehee: Luckily it was mostly unpainted and the painted stuff was a breee to fix. Here's a sergeant and the named apothecary for 30k (can't recall his name at the time). Lucked out and found a deathwing narthecium and managed to get a pretty good trim job in. 

Whirlwind Scorpius 1/21/19

Repaired his Whirlwind Scorpius to have a plasticard cover over a hole in the back and put in top hatches and a gunner. This thing is so backweighted from the metal launcher its not even funny how much it topples over. 

Tac Marines 1/21/19

Two random marines. One has been restored a bolter and the other a powerpack.

Rampagers 1/21/19

Last out of the weekend repairs are the Rampagers. Less of a repair I suppose as he decided he didn't like the FW heads, so I swapped them out for some Mk3 heads, and I think they look the part.

Spartan Taped 1/21/19

Now for the interesting work. He had a Spartan to do up for Angron and his Butchers. It was already primed black, but it actually worked fine to prime under it. Nice thing was it gave a little undershade too, which I've never tried before. I then put on tape to start the red where he wanted it. 

Spartan 1 1/21/19

Spartan 2 1/21/19

Spartan 3 1/21/19

Here it is as it sits tonight. Was excited to put on the FW WE transfers I got him for Xmas finally. I've loved every transfer set I've gotten from them, but these just look so right on a Spartan chassis. 

Praetor 1 1/21/19

Praetor 2 1/21/19

Whipped up a quick Praetor for him. Wasn't my cleanest job, but I'm still please with it. Got a little bloodier on him, so Im workin my way up :wink:

Angron 1 1/21/19

Angron 2 1/21/19

Last for my progress on the WE's is I finally finished the big man himself. I need to paint up the marines falling away, but I just had to get him done after being to close to finished. 

Haarken 1 1/21/19

Last, I still managed to find a little time for my projects. Picked up a Haarken for my store's Vigilus campaign and decided to Word Bearer him up a bit. Plan on running him with combi-melta and powerfist. May have to pick up some proper Raptors, so he's not too blinged nect to my 30k Assault Marines. Can't wait to see what else comes out for Chaos in 40k!

Thankya :) Should be seeing some Rampagers and the tactical marines (and dare I say maybe even the spartan) done up this week once the resupply of blood paint and lahmian medium comes in. Hoping to get this army done by the beginning of February to focus back on my Word Bearers - plan is to convert up my own Argel Tal for it too if time allows!

Little Update for the Week:

Spartan One 1/29/19

Spartan Two 1/29/19

Spartan Three 1/29/19

Here's all the completed shots of the spartan for now. All it had left was de-glossing the decals and weathering up a little bit. Pretty pleased with the result. Makes me want one for my Word Bearers!

Rampagers One 1/29/19

Rampagers Two 1/29/19

Rampagers Three 1/29/19

Rampagers Four 1/29/19

And here are the Rampagers. Had a real blast painting these. Was able to add a little more blood to suit their bloodlust :wink: Buddy wanted them all unique so I ended up trying to emulate Angron's tattoo patterns to give each a marking on the helm. Next on the table are the dreadclaw and whirlwind. I've also begun to create my Argel Tal, which I am quite eager to share progress on!

Also how do you guys manage to get the pics to show so large on your threads? Love how they show compared to the smaller images on mine.

Good job on the models.

Little Update for the Week:

Here's all the completed shots of the spartan for now. All it had left was de-glossing the decals and weathering up a little bit. Pretty pleased with the result. Makes me want one for my Word Bearers!

The quad lascannon's barrels aren't aligned with one another. Angron should make an example of the Techmarines responsible for the Spartan's maintenance and operation.

Small photo dump of what I've been up to. Finished up the Dreadclaw, Primus Medicae, and the Red Butchers for the World Eaters project. Really jazzed with the Butchers, think I was able to take what I liked on the Rampagers and grow on it for them. Now all I have left is a small handful of support characters, two tac squads, and a whirlwind. Plan is to knock em out this week and take a family pic to celebrate them being done.

In terms of my own projects I've been assembling my Argel Tal I'll use for the shadow crusade. My HH group came up with some custom rules for him so that'll be really exciting to try out. Could be really busted or really weak but we all agree its worth the fun of taking him. As such I need a proper model to use.

Idea i had was to make him Daemon Prince sized (and coincidentally use him as one in 40k games). Lots of bits collecting has gone on for this as I wanted a true kitbash and not just a few arms and legs swapped on a existing character model. Decided to include my build progress to show my thought process.

Few intentional bit choices were the head (open "dog like" maw on a mk.4 helm, never cared for true dog/wolf head), slaughterpriest legs (upscaled and warped mk.4), and of course the spear and sword of the custodes. I did use a Primaris chaplain torso but I reckon it doesn't show its mark at all so I'm in the clear. As always let me know what you think :) 

Dreadclaw One 2/4

Dreadclaw Two 2/4

Dreadclaw Three 2/4

Dreadclaw Four 2/4

Primus Medicae One 2/4

Red Butchers One 2/4

Red Butchers Two 2/4

Red Butchers Three 2/4

Red Butchers Four 2/4

Red Butchers Five 2/4

Red Butchers Six 2/4

Argel Tal Build One 2/4

Argel Tal Build One 2/4

Argel Tal Build Two 2/4

Argel Tal Build Three 2/4

Argel Tal Build Four 2/4

Argel Tal Build Four 2/4

Argel Tal Build Five 2/4

Argel Tal Build Six 2/4

• 2 weeks later...
Starting to make progress on Argel Tal! Got most the model based colored and shaded. Not sure how I want to do the wings - was looking to hear you guys' ideas :happy.:

Also finished up the last of the world eaters. Got a terminator praetor to accompany his red butchers, a jump praetor, a jump centurion, and an apothecary/primus medicae for the characters. I also included a pic of the old Khârn I painted for him a few years ago - rebasing him really helps the paintjob, but I'm glad I've improved the WE's since then!

Also wrapped up the whirlwind scorpius by repairing an old whirlwind piece and slapping it on the rhino + finished up the tactical marines. That was a fun opportunity to play with blood splattering and how it moves directionally on them!

Now it's just two more weeks until we get some shadow crusade games in. Ive got Argel, a librarian, erebus, a navigator, a dreadnought drop pod, and 20 tactical marines to finish next to assorted to terrain. Lucky thing they're all half done projects at least :sweat:

Argel Tal 2/14

Terminator Praetor 2/14

Jump Praetor One 2/14

Jump Praetor Two 2/14

Jump Centurion One 2/14

Jump Centurion Two 2/14

Apothecary 2/14

Old Kharn 2/14

Whirlwind One 2/14

Whirlwind Two 2/14

Tactical Squad 2/14

Marine 2/14