New member, old player, would you like to know more?

Exilyth

Hello.

I've started playing 40k back in 3rd edition, took a break just before 5th edition and returned during the midst of 7th edition.

While I initially started playing Space Marines (some homebrew ultramarines successor chapter) back in the day, I decided to start a new army when I returned to the game in 7th - so now I'm playing Imperial Guard Astra Militarum.

I'm slowly countering the 'gray horde syndrome' my AM are suffering from, but I've got to admit that I'm more of a builder/converter person than a painter. My painting skills are slowly improving, but I doubt I'll ever reach GD/display model levels. If university just didn't eat up so much of my shedule. And reading books. And drawing. And building models. And converting models. And ...

Anyway, with my guard army nearly finished (haha, as if! :wink: ), I'm looking into reviving my Space Marines. Coming from an era when the Space Marine Codex had only about 1/3rd the units, I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options available in the Codex right now - which is (one of) the reason(s) I registered at the Bolter and Chainsword. So far, this place seems very knowledgeable and a lot more mature than other 40k related communities.

I'm looking forward to learn from the combined experience gathered round here and hope to become a constructive part of the community soon.

Sincerely,

Exilyth

Do note: English is not my mother tongue. While I am somewhat fluent in the language, I might make some mistakes or show a tendency to use slighly more archaic/formal forms of grammar than necessary. Please feel free to correct me when I do.

Hello brother! Welcome to the community. I started at 5th edition, right around where you left off. I think you'll really like the space marines in this edition, I have had a ton of fun.

I look forward to seeing you around Exilyth, and may the God Emperor be with you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

With regards to Marines, what Chapter do you like the look of?

Oh my - it's been a while since I last looked at this thread. Somehow I missed that there was a new post here - sorry about that.

Well, better late than never, so here goes:

Most of them.

Well, actually, there's something to like and something to hate about most chapters, e.g. ultramarines are the typical good guy heroes, but a bit too flawless.

A very hard question.

• Back in 3rd edition, my ~12yo self started with ultramarines, but I later created my own chapter for ... reasons.
  • I had a phase when I was all over space wolves, but not enough to make them my army. Viking/norse themed space marines are great. Nowadays, I'm a bit relieved that I didn't go for all the wolfy wolf wolves of wolfness. I mean, space wolves are still space wolves, just some of their units are rather silly.
  • Salamanders paint scheme is interesting (I like the green), but I know almost nothing about the chapter.
  • Dark Angels best embody the 'gothic warrior monk' aestetics, but termies & bikes (was their main thing back in 3rd) is not my preferred army composition. Also too much dirt under the carpet.
  • Painted Imperial Fists & White Scars armies are always impressive, since painting white/yellow is very tedious.
  • If I preferred meelee, I would have considered blood angels. Even though they do succumb to black rage, they seem the least distanced from human emotions (excluding rage) compared to other chapters.
  • A honorable mention goes to the mentors resp. mentor legion, but more due to fluff than aestetics.
  • I eventually settled on my chapter being a Raven Guard successor, since being sneaky gits striking from the shadows fits my playstyle the best. Also justifies having a higher number of beaky marines.

edit: Ok, I went back and re-read http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/285424-salamanders-a-comprehensive-history/ and now I remember why I didn't go with Salamanders - mostly 'no successor chapters' and the preferrance for flamers and melters.

Edited by Exilyth