To publish here or not to...?

Nostromo

I have written a SciFi story as a background for my Imperial Guard (auxiliary) regiment(s) that might better fit in here than where I wrote it.

But of course there is always a problem.

The story is long (but still hardly more than merely a plot outline).

The story does not have anything to do with 30k or 40k for about 90% of the story. Actually, that is intentional and all I can do is to assure: yes, it is a 40k related story and the thought „how may that have a direct effect on things happening in the 40th millennium?!“ is the most important thing in the whole plot. And I confess- the idea is stolen to a certain degree.

You will need to move a bit out of the 40k-concrete-head-comfort-zone.

so, copy it here or not?

Well, I can speak for none other than myself here, but I personally would love to read your story. I am still somewhat new(ish) to the site so I could be wrong, but as long as the story is 40k related it ought to have a home here...

Anyways, the final call is yours, of course!

If the story focuses on a time apart from 30k and 40k, I seriously doubt it should be posted. We are a board for the Heresy and for the current timeline in the 41st Millennium. For clarity, it might be best to contact an Admin for a decision. @Kurgan the Lurker, @Brother Tyler are two.

and here we have the one major issue i have :happy.:

Of course, i could spoiler the end to explain why and in which way it ends as a 40k story and why it actually does not interfere with anything one knows about the universe. 

But that's a bit like saying "The sixth sense is a story about a dead detective who does not realize he is a ghost". That ruins the whole film...

What makes things worse... i think one needs to have a faible for that certain kind of SciFi to make it all the way to the end. It is more "David Weber" than "Dan Abnett"...

The first half has a not that obvious problem - i needed to restore a few passages that had been deleted by ...3rd party intervention :censored:  (i had no backup then...)

The second half suffers from a decline of motivation. From a certain point, the fun was gone and i only wanted to come to an end.

edit: this is no longer the case, the second part has been rewritten... and is now three times as long as before

If at least some of you like it, i will improve the layout and copy it here... where it would actually should have been written in the first place.

• 8 months later...

Now that i have rewritten half the story - especially the part that takes place in the 40k-setting - i posted it here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/355200-a-matter-of-perspective/

Still, it is not finished yet.

At the moment the story extends to a point where my faction had its first experiences with the empire of man and reseized control of their lives.

So far, it is 70% non-40k and 30% 40k. Whatever comes from now on can only be more 40k :cool.:

How far that control really goes, which deals with one devils or another they need to seal to survive comes next - i already have an outline in my head, but i am still missing ideas on the "ok, i know what needs to happen. But how and why can that happen?".

I COULD use a few constructive comments - which do not try to change the overall concept, that is. If you do not like the concept - nobody expects you to do so. But if you find actual flaws and help evening out those, that would be highly welcome.

Archived