Unit of the Week: Intercessor Squad

Jolemai

Totally agree with Remtek, I run this style of “core” to my army, and it works extremely well. With the FNP banner they are extremely hard to shift, and enable you to play the objective game very well. They are in fact one of the better value troops choices in the game with this setup.

That’s going to be especially true in the new CA missions that focus on a single, central VP.

I don't plan to run more than 20 Intercessors for now because I like my toys over boys but yeah mass Intercessors sounds like it would work. Especially with more objective focussed missions like the new Eternal War ones from the CA18.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

So with all the new things coming out of the space marine camp, I’m finally considering the primaris plunge.

All the above posts are great, but does the new rules change which weapon is best for intercessors? Are the new Phobos troops comparatively better or worse?

I still think the Rapid fire version is best, especially for us who want/don't mind to get close.

The sniper Stratagem would make the heavy version quite interesting now that they have D2 and the Combat Doctrines if we hadn't also Eliminators with S5 now, however the Stratagems and Combat Doctrines are a Codex: Space Marines thing we don't have access to.

Assault 3 is great too but I honestly rather have 2 shots at AP-1 than 3 shots at AP0. Combat Doctrines make them even more interesting, but again we don't have access to those.

my standard go to is a 2x battalion with 3x intercessors. People underestimate them, even if they're just zoning out deepstrike and shooting 10 shots. I think they'll only get better as we get more support in the form of an updated dex/ vigilus style campaign. 16 CC attacks is no small potatoes either.

All the above posts are great, but does the new rules change which weapon is best for intercessors? Are the new Phobos troops comparatively better or worse?

Has there been any word on whether Infiltrators are getting any cheaper in the new Codex. If they have, I can see a possible role for a squad or two of Infiltrators. Otherwise, I think I will stick to my RF Intercessors. The RF version get full mileage out of both Bolter Discipline and Shock Assault which really is strong. Pop a power sword on the Serg for just 4 points and you get 4 attacks at Ap-3 with Red Thirst in the first round of every combat. Tasty!

Edited by Karhedron

How are the points looking on the new hover-Rhino?

Does that make Intercessors into good candidates for the old school "throw your dudes up the middle of the table in metal boxes first turn and establish dominance" tactics? Probably still going to be on the expensive side, I'd wager.

Still. There's also the possibility of sergeants getting thunder hammers.

Has there been any word on whether Infiltrators are getting any cheaper in the new Codex. If they have, I can see a possible role for a squad or two of Infiltrators. Otherwise, I think I will stick to my RF Intercessors. The RF version get full mileage out of both Bolter Discipline and Shock Assault which really is strong. Pop a power sword on the Serg for just 4 points and you get 4 attacks at Ap-3 with Red Thirst in the first round of every combat. Tasty!

They did not drop in points :(

I think with Shock Assault they gained a lot of value as infiltrating unit since they can properly bully most weaker infantry units, especially as BA. I'd rather take Incursors though, I think.

Anyway, this is the Intercessor thread, not the Infiltrator thread or general Troops option thread. ;)

Assault 3 is great too but I honestly rather have 2 shots at AP-1 than 3 shots at AP0. Combat Doctrines make them even more interesting, but again we don't have access to those.

I thought I'd run the numbers on the new bolt rifle variant stats, i.e. stalker bolt rifle with D2, auto bolt rifle with 3 shots and bolt rifle assumed to get 2 shots.

Assuming 5 man squad to hit at 3+ the mean average of wounds is:

auto bolt rifle / bolt rifle / stalker bolt rifle

Against GEQ: 4.44 / 3.70 / 2.22
Against MEQ: 1.67 / 1.67 / 1.11
Against Primaris: 1.67 / 1.67 / 2.22
Against Redemptor: 1.11 / 1.11 / 1.48
Against Repulsor: 0.56 / 0.56 / 0.74

When you look at the detailed wound probabilities distribution, auto bolt rifles are consistently very slightly higher than bolt rifles, but the mean smooths it out.

So interestingly auto bolt rifles are significantly better than bolt rifles against GEQ and very marginally better against MEQ and better, while Stalkers do better than both with their D2 against targets with 2+ wounds i.e. primaris and vehicles, which isn't terribly surprising.

This also assumes 3 shots vs 2 per marine for auto vs bolt rifle; bolt rifles of course only get 2 shots at half range or while stationary, but do have the extra range, while auto bolt rifles can move up or try to stay distant without penalty. I'm happy, as it means those DI intercessors I converted to have autobolt rifles aren't worthless after all!

(edit: mixed up redemptor and repulsor to-wound, now fixed. Not like either is a good target for bolt rifles!)

Edited by Arkhanist

And for completeness, I've done the mean averages for moving, i.e. auto bolt rifles advancing (-1 to hit) / bolt rifles moved outside 15" (1 shot) / stalker bolt rifle moved (-1 to hit) :

Against GEQ: 3.33 / 1.85 / 1.66
Against MEQ: 1.25 / 0.83 / 0.83
Against Primaris: 1.25 / 0.83 / 1.66
Against Redemptor: 0.83 / 0.56 / 1.11
Against Repulsor: 0.42 / 0.28 / 0.56

Definitely a case of pick your gun depending upon intended positioning of the squad I think, which is nice - I think all 3 have at least one viable role with the new changes.
Edited by Arkhanist