Hello there,

I’m looking to start a regiment to represent the Tanith First and Only, I’m thinking of using a commissar and a few company/ platoon commanders, lots of infantry squads and possibly command squads with sniper Riffles.

Which models would be best to use?

Which heavy and special weapons would be best to put in the infantry squads (fluffy and competitive)?

I would also like them to be supported by a small tank regiment but can’t remember any names of these regiments that fought along side them.

Thanks for your help and sorry if I’ve duplicated a thread

:(

Hello there,

I’m looking to start a regiment to represent the Tanith First and Only, I’m thinking of using a commissar and a few company/ platoon commanders, lots of infantry squads and possibly command squads with sniper Riffles.

Which models would be best to use?

Which heavy and special weapons would be best to put in the infantry squads (fluffy and competitive)?

I would also like them to be supported by a small tank regiment but can’t remember any names of these regiments that fought along side them.

Thanks for your help and sorry if I’ve duplicated a thread

:(

As far as minis go, you can get GWs version of gaunt, mkoll, rawne, and dorden on ebay as per the old command squad. For troops though, victoria miniatures has these border world rangers which are an almost perfect fit. Tank regiment they fought with would be the pardus armored, on hagia, and i think also in vervunhive if my memory is right. They are mentioned as having leman russ conquerors and at least one laser destroyer. For heavy and special weapons, the tanith have a lot of regular missile launchers and flamers. And yeah, snipers would be great for the theme.

To echo Panzers' thoughts above - Victoria Miniatures would be a good starting point for minis - adding in the official GW minis for some variation and flavour.

If you're handy with greenstuff, check out Dave Taylor's Tanith for inspiration here: https://davetaylorminiatures.blogspot.com/search?q=tanith

-Ran

Thirded VM should see you put together a nice lil regiment! :tu:

Looking forward to seeing how this gurns out :)

Which Regimental Doctrine do you think you'll use to represent them?

And heavy bolters and Autocannons. I think they have also used grenade launchers and mortars, although less sure on the mortar front.

Basically references to them using lascannons, meltaguns or plasmaguns are non existent from what I can remember but all the others have been mentioned.

I’ve not had chance to get the codex yet :( so been looking at the index for them.

I was hoping to try and only use Games Workshop parts as some stores can be fussy about you playin in store with non GW models :( so would caravan models with green stuff capes be best or Chadians with capes?

Thinking heavy weapons teams with missile launchers would be a very fluffy as well as command squads full of sniper Riffles.

The camo-cloaks are the most identifiable part of the Tanith regiment, Cadians with bare-heads or Catachan minis with cloaks would work.

Anvil Industries does a good resin cloak: http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments/cloaks-banners-officers/camouflage-cloaks-28mm. If any GW staffers raised an eyebrow, you could just state that they're made of Greenstuff. 

-Ran

The camo-cloaks are the most identifiable part of the Tanith regiment, Cadians with bare-heads or Catachan minis with cloaks would work.

Anvil Industries does a good resin cloak: http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments/cloaks-banners-officers/camouflage-cloaks-28mm. If any GW staffers raised an eyebrow, you could just state that they're made of Greenstuff. 

-Ran

I do like the look of these cloaks, if the Tainth ones are very similar I could make these out of green stuff to save a few pounds. 

If you want to stick to GW, Id probably go with catachans... possibly with a headwap and shaved down shoulders, and a GS cape. Doesnt have to be clean either, its camo, its supposed to be tattered. :P
I feel like the shoulders and heads on the catachans are the worst parts, adding a cape to them would allow you to fix that. Head swaps would be optional too, you could just use the heads they come with if you dont mind the look. And hoods are always an option, ofc. (just make a triangle from green stuff, drape it over the head so the widest part is at about eyebrow level on the fron of the head, and tuck in the rest.)

Could be cool. :)

I made my Tanith from Catachans, green-stuff cloaks and a mixture of WHFB Empire and Mordheim heads (including the famous Middenheim “hairy head” sprue). Small caveat: The Catachans look huge compared to the old metal Tanith models.

Special weapons: flamers, sniper rifles and “tread-fethers” (missile launchers) are iconic; a couple of crew-served support weapons are also described, which sound like reasonable matches for heavy bolters and autocannons. I can’t remember grenade launchers or mortars being mentioned, but they seem to fit with the rest of their equipment, so would be plausible additions. Lascannons, meltas and plasma guns are conspicuous by their absence.

For associated armoured regiments, the Pardus (from Honour Guard) and Narmenians (Necropolis) are the two which come to mind.

I assume it wil lwork with cloaks, but one chap years back on the no non gw parts at a store I used to play at, ordered loads of 3rd party heads for his...fantasy army I think, then greenstuff press moulded a fw to have as 'spares' that if a staffer asked about them he showed to 'prove' they were all green stuff not 3rd party. since when painted on the model no-one could say otherwise, he got away with it.

On second thought I believe we have failed to use all our resources. I believe that, a fellow frater has an answer to this question. Coffee grunt,had an interesting take on the ,Savlar chemdogs,that might be workable for the ,Tanith 1st,and only. Using the kits from Empire Archers,and Cadian heads,and arms with archer bodies you would have the look. Using cloaks and using camo,paint ,with solid greens,or browns for the bodies with add on's from the Cadians, such as knives grenades,belts pouches provide the look you want.If they are still available look at ,Hades Hive Hyenas.

I'been toying with the idea of doing tanith outa catachan, the berets and cloaks would cover those bandanas ant the characters are fitting too: mkoll marbo, bragg harker, rawne straken. Plus great narmenian conquerors

About the equipment used by ghosts:For building them, unfortunably GW only does catachans and cadians currently. One could try sculpting camo cloaks on either. Or mix & match parts with bitz from other vendors.

1002 - Using Tallarn doctrine 

[HQ 

Company Commander - Corbec

Boltgun, Chainsword

Lord Commissar - Warlord Colonel commissar Gaunt

Boltgun, Master of Command, Power sword, Warlord

Troops

Infantry Squad

. 8x Guardsman

. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Grenade Launcher

. Heavy Weapon Team: Mortar

. Sergeant: Boltgun

Infantry Squad

. 8x Guardsman

Infantry Squad

. 8x Guardsman

Infantry Squad 

. 8x Guardsman

. Heavy Weapon Team: Missile launcher

Infantry Squad 

. 8x Guardsman

Infantry Squad 

. 8x Guardsman

Heavy Support 

Leman Russ Battle Tanks

. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters

Leman Russ Battle Tanks 

. Leman Russ Demolisher: Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolters, Turret-mounted Demolisher Siege Cannon

Dedicated Transport

Chimera

Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter

Chimera

Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter

How does that look like for a list to build to then???

I know that Gaunt would have a bolt Pistol but would be a shame to waste his 2+ BS on. pistol.

To make it bob on 1000 points I can remove 2 blowguns from the Infantry Sgts. 

Archived