Moments of Awesomeness for our Space Wolves

Kasper_Hawser

Would like to share a few moments of reverse awesome that nevertheless was hilarious and worth remembering rather than being a shameful memory.

I once tried to charge my Rune Priest on bike at a bunch of vanilla terminators, one of which had a cyclone missile launchers, mostly SM and power fists.

He died to overwatch from the CYCLONE. Cyclone rolled a 5 damage. :jawdrop:

Guess what? I played the same chap again later. He died exactly the same way. Via the damn cyclone missile launcher :wallbash:

Oh well, can't beat em all, got to have others have their moments of awesome too.

The two moments of awesomeness that I can currently recall involve my only axe/shield dread.

1) Playing against Chaos space marines, more or less my first game with the dread. Open war cards had my army deployed in the center surrounded by my opponent. At some point a Helldrake exposed itself enough for the dread to get just within charging distance. The Helldrake's overwatch bathed my dread in fire, but the shield took the brunt of the damage. Dread then makes the 11" charge and cuts down the Helldrake in one round of combat.

2) Playing against Chaos again, my opponent has a Greater Brass Scorpion at the center of his army. My dread is lined up directly opposite. The scorpion stomps forward and claims a hill in the middle of the table. It lobs a couple of shots at the dread that apparently had the potential to melt it into a pile of molten scrap metal were it not for the blizzard shield holding strong. In my turn the dread marches forward defiantly, once again just within charge range and once again rolls hot to make the charge. He then proceeds to chop away over the next 2 battle rounds, single handedly bringing down the monstrous demon engine. The resulting explosion destroys a rhino full of berserkers, a hellbrute, and damages several other enemy units & characters, with the victorious dread taking minimal damage. He continued to leave a trail of carnage in his wake until he was finally brought down by a lone berserker's krak grenade to the backside.

I haven't thought about a name for him before, but now I'm thinking Longstride Chaosbane would be appropriate.

Longstride Wyrdbane

The two moments of awesomeness that I can currently recall involve my only axe/shield dread.

1) Playing against Chaos space marines, more or less my first game with the dread. Open war cards had my army deployed in the center surrounded by my opponent. At some point a Helldrake exposed itself enough for the dread to get just within charging distance. The Helldrake's overwatch bathed my dread in fire, but the shield took the brunt of the damage. Dread then makes the 11" charge and cuts down the Helldrake in one round of combat.

2) Playing against Chaos again, my opponent has a Greater Brass Scorpion at the center of his army. My dread is lined up directly opposite. The scorpion stomps forward and claims a hill in the middle of the table. It lobs a couple of shots at the dread that apparently had the potential to melt it into a pile of molten scrap metal were it not for the blizzard shield holding strong. In my turn the dread marches forward defiantly, once again just within charge range and once again rolls hot to make the charge. He then proceeds to chop away over the next 2 battle rounds, single handedly bringing down the monstrous demon engine. The resulting explosion destroys a rhino full of berserkers, a hellbrute, and damages several other enemy units & characters, with the victorious dread taking minimal damage. He continued to leave a trail of carnage in his wake until he was finally brought down by a lone berserker's krak grenade to the backside.

I haven't thought about a name for him before, but now I'm thinking Longstride Chaosbane would be appropriate.

Longstride Wyrdbane

Maybe Longstride Daemonbane? So far he has cut the thread of two massive Daemon engines.

Longstride Wyrdbane, Slayer/Saga of _____________

Longstride Wyrdbane, Saga of the Erklings Blade

Longstride Wyrdbane, Axe of the Erkiling

Slayer of Deamons

Slayer of Wights

or would you want it more condensed?

just to preface this my boys earn names from deeds unless its a character from the book or something big like a titan.

I have a wolf guard who leads a blood claw pack beovulf  equipped with a power sword back in 7th he took on a carnifex and slew him over three rounds,

a grey hunter squad Einar bolters and 2 flamers podded into the heart of a eldar force whipped out 2 squads of guardians ,one to the first round of shooting as they deployed the second on the charge the round after, then they charged the farseer and his warlocks and nobbled them.

one very tough game Abaddon was reaving through my force when grey hunter pack Sigurd won there name gunning the despoiler down.

a few I can remember

this was way back in 3rd edition, i was playing against Chaos.  I thought I would take a huge gamble, there was a squad of terminators that looked like a good target.  I had a ten man blood claw pack jump pack into them.  Amazingly for me,  The blood claws wiped out the entire squad of terminators for a loss of only three of the claws.

this was way back in 3rd edition, i was playing against Chaos.  I thought I would take a huge gamble, there was a squad of terminators that looked like a good target.  I had a ten man blood claw pack jump pack into them.  Amazingly for me,  The blood claws wiped out the entire squad of terminators for a loss of only three of the claws.

wow that is amazing. Hard to think of it being done unless the squad of terminators rolled 5 ones in their armour saves. (assuming they were a 5 man squad). How did termie armour work in the past? did Blood Claws still have a lot of attacks on the charge back then? Was there any power weapons in your pack?

two editions later the same squad of blood claws was charged by a twenty fig squad of orc boys with a pain boy in charge.  After a bloody close combat the only thing left was the pain boy who ran.  those claws were made grey hunters on the spot.

again amazing. the boyz must have whiffed big time, or your Claws managed to get enough attacks and wounds on counter attack (this was when Orkz were initiaive 2), before the Orkz got to swing. And even then, he must have failed most of his FNP.

- 5th edition  logan grimnar and a squad of grey hunters charged a full squad of meganobz + ghazghul + painboy. Killed em to an ork over 2 combat phases without taking a single wound. Grimnar made something like 56 armour saves in the first turn (using the ol' grey hunter reroll 1s banner. Zing)

- 5th ed Thunderwolf lord murdering 4 squads of deathwing terminators in one game.

- 5th Ed fenrisian wolves killing a squad of deathwing terminators

- My main opponent plays dark angels. In the last several years of playing him, without fail, every time I've taken arjac and he takes belial, arjac has managed to kill him in close combat. If you include when we used to do the 'wolf vs lion' thing after each game...the tally is something like arjac 12 - belial 0.

- 7th ed Rune priest with 1 wound left was charged by a full wound azrael,  made all his inv saves, and then 1 shotted/stabbed him with his force weapon. ACTIVATE!

8th edition 

- After 4 years of running him, in my last game, murderfang actually made a charge.

8th edition

- After 4 years of running him, in my last game, murderfang actually made a charge.

In 7e, he had always gotten immobilized just prior to charging. I so wanted to paint "tin man" on the chassis somewhere...and find an oil can mini to mount for a head.

I've had much better luck in 8e...took out a dreadknight and actually live for another turn afterwards.

Recently, after softening up 3 imperial knights with shooting, Bjorn killed them all over the course of 3 turns. 

Nothing else got a kill.

Turns out 5 - 6 re rolled hit and wounds at str 14 with -4 ap and d6 damage is good against big stuff without any invuns. This was before the codex so I dare say there's some sort of melee invun now.

Bjorn has S12, not 14. His claw is S+5, not x2.

Gherrick is correct.  I literally just had Bjorn shred his way through 2 knights 2 days ago and needed to be 100% sure what I had.

S7+5 for S12 true claw (*edit* this is for current rules in 8th edition.  Greysquig mentioned before codex so maybe rule was different when it happened for him)

Although to be fair, S14 or S12 have the same wound roll against T8 (3+) so no harm no foul this time

No cheating fellow wolves :biggrin.:

Bjorn has S12, not 14. His claw is S+5, not x2.

Gherrick is correct.  I literally just had Bjorn shred his way through 2 knights 2 days ago and needed to be 100% sure what I had.

S7+5 for S12 true claw (*edit* this is for current rules in 8th edition.  Greysquig mentioned before codex so maybe rule was different when it happened for him)

Although to be fair, S14 or S12 have the same wound roll against T8 (3+) so no harm no foul this time

No cheating fellow wolves :biggrin.:

He's a beast in combat especially with the -4. But yeah was from memory hence me getting muddled up... Also I'm old so I get muddled up about a lot of things :)

8th edition

In 7e, he had always gotten immobilized just prior to charging. I so wanted to paint "tin man" on the chassis somewhere...and find an oil can mini to mount for a head.

I've had much better luck in 8e...took out a dreadknight and actually live for another turn afterwards.

For me, Murderfang finally killed a hell  turkey about 2 months ago, again after trying to run him for four years and not even making a single charge.

- fenrisian wolves killing a squad of deathwing terminators

Very well done,.

Well come to think of it, my fen wolves managed to tie up a Custodes squad for 2 rounds before my Wulfen smashed into the Custodes. Was quite memorable as I normally am very averse to using Fen wolves and TWC. This time it worked as a meatshield soak, morale held due to my fearless wolf priest on bike joining them.

i like this threat!

I´ve got another tale:

a unit of wolfguard terminators wir ss and Hammer were charging  a unit of MIGHTY gretchin.

The Wolfguard charged fearlessly but the first of three died in overwatch. Due to the Hammers they were supposed to attack at ini but they we never got to ini 1...

i like this threat!

I´ve got another tale:

a unit of wolfguard terminators wir ss and Hammer were charging  a unit of MIGHTY gretchin.

The Wolfguard charged fearlessly but the first of three died in overwatch. Due to the Hammers they were supposed to attack at ini but they we never got to ini 1...

LOL, looks like a tale of reverse awesome for terminators. Sadly an oft repeated tale. For myself, they almost always failed their charge.

I think by the time we get to page 3, I'll try summarise for everyone.

My friend who got me into the hobby reminded me of another excellent moment. It was during my first game with my own 1850 point army back in 5th. I was playing against orks and not doing well. A squad of 30 boys charged a grey hunter squad in the top of the second turn and the squad just crumbled. By my turn that round I had 2 guys left, one of which was a mark of the wulfen grey hunter (I miss this particular piece of wargear). The other greyhunter died,however the MotW greyhunter proceeded to shred the 30ma squad and a group of Nobs before falling to the warbles. Lost the game but that dude came to every other game in the 5th edition codex.

8th edition

For me, Murderfang finally killed a hell  turkey about 2 months ago, again after trying to run him for four years and not even making a single charge.

- fenrisian wolves killing a squad of deathwing terminators

Very well done,.

Well come to think of it, my fen wolves managed to tie up a Custodes squad for 2 rounds before my Wulfen smashed into the Custodes. Was quite memorable as I normally am very averse to using Fen wolves and TWC. This time it worked as a meatshield soak, morale held due to my fearless wolf priest on bike joining them.

The character keyword (and 8th ed rules) on Murderfang makes such a HUGE difference. Id stopped running him entirely until it became able to screen him in 8th.

I never use wolves/twc anymore, but the fenrisian wolves one was back in 5th (not 6th as i put before, my bad!) when you could give em iniative 5 so they hit as fast as eldar :D

#

My friend who got me into the hobby reminded me of another excellent moment. It was during my first game with my own 1850 point army back in 5th. I was playing against orks and not doing well. A squad of 30 boys charged a grey hunter squad in the top of the second turn and the squad just crumbled. By my turn that round I had 2 guys left, one of which was a mark of the wulfen grey hunter (I miss this particular piece of wargear). The other greyhunter died,however the MotW greyhunter proceeded to shred the 30ma squad and a group of Nobs before falling to the warbles. Lost the game but that dude came to every other game in the 5th edition codex.

Ahh the 5th edition MotW was amazing.

Especially combined with the banner rerolls (multiple times i turned a 1 for their extra attacks into a 6 with that).

Grey Hunters were pretty much one of (if not the) best all round troop choice in the game that edition as far as i recall.

The one moment that comes to mind was back in 3rd or 4th Edition. I had a 5 man Wolf Scout pack come up behind a orc battlewagon and meltabomb it on Turn 2.He ad kustom forcefield on it so he had 30 boys wrapped around the sides and front, like a U within range to get the forcefield save. I rolled an explodes roll for a distance of 6". The result was a lot of dead greenskins and 4 out of 5 of my scouts (squad jihad). Well worth it. I'm sure the last scout became a lone wolf after that game.

Ahh the 5th edition MotW was amazing.

Especially combined with the banner rerolls (multiple times i turned a 1 for their extra attacks into a 6 with that).

Grey Hunters were pretty much one of (if not the) best all round troop choice in the game that edition as far as i recall.

I do miss our old mark of the wilden and banner. Those were some of the unique rules that got me excited to play space wolves. That and the beards lol.

Pulled off a charge against Trajann Valoris (close combat monster) with Herald Deathwolf, hoping only to lock him in place for a turn. I ended up rolling hot, with the opposite for my friends save rolls. Ended up putting enough damage through so that the thunderwolf attacks at the end finished him off. 1 shot.

Both of us were surprised.

Archived