Moments of Awesomeness for our Space Wolves

Kasper_Hawser

AND how you HAD to basically suicide Lone Wolves as they counted AGAINST you in Kill Point games if they were still alive at the end. COOL RULES back then.

Ah I loved this rule although I don't remember it winning me or losing a game before. But it did remind me of one time my Lone Wolf in terminator armour tanked about 2 squads of Grey Knight terminators, a Grandmaster with halberd and a Grey Knight librarian for about 3 turns of combat before losing his final wound. I think this was the only game I rolled my 2+ like a boss. this was when swords and halberds were AP3 and thus pinged off 2+ armour. He had only two terminators armed with hammers, and they continually whiffed.

But yesterday brothers, I have not a moment of awesome but a game of awesome against a shamelessly competitive list:

My list:

Bjorn with plasma cannon

Battle leader with jump pack, TH/SS

Battle leader with jump pack, chainsword and storm bolter

Rune Priest on Bike with axe and runic shield wielding tempest storm.

3 squads of combi-plasma and plasma gun Grey Hunters

2 Twin assault Cannon Razorbacks

2 Twin heavy bolter razorbacks

3 long fangs with my usual schizo loadout (1 las, one missle and one plasma cannon each)

Stormwolf with twin heavy bolters

And what was I facing?

2 Hellhammer Baneblades

1 Shadowsword Baneblade

1 Primaris Psyker with Nightsthroud

1 enginseer

2 mortar teams.

1 Basilisk.

Oh God, I thought I was going to die horribly. But against my expectation, I kept calm, played the game and I won! Granted it was an objective game (Dominate and Control, six objectives, can destroy enemy deployment objective for D3 points), and for the first time, I'm glad of ITC mission rules which says ground floor cannot be seen or targetted unless can go around and see through opening in ruin. So I kept my head, camped in objectives, but made the most of my 1st turn by killing ONE Hellhammer baneblade. It was almost NOT enough. the other 2 baneblades put so much shots they virtually killed anything they targetted without a thought. Bjorn unfortunately didn't manage to kill the shadowsword compeltely despite leaving it with only 3 wounds left. By turn 3, I had almost no more heavy support and Bjorn was destroyed, so I had to fall back to objectives and pray I don't get tabled by Turn 5. I accumulated objective points every turn while my opponent was doing his level best to table me. I even managed to assassinate his warlord the psyker via my Wolf Guard battle leader introducing her (he used a Dark eldar sorceress from fantasy as a primaris psyker, the gall) to his thunderhammer.

In retrospect, maybe the game favored me better than him, and it pained me to sit through the last 2 turns  just camping on objectives but in the end, it was satisfying to win not by just killing, but by outplaying. I played as aggressively as I could then wisely pulled back my units to get the objectives instead of prolonging a fist fight with baneblades. WS6+ is still scary when you have about 8 attacks and each one AP-3. 

Not really a moment of awesome, but just thought I share that I beat such a shamelessly superheavy heavy list.

Probably my MVP from the last London GT.

Many options but this is my favourite shield dread story.

I deployed him up front on a pretty open board against a decent necron list. He was stopping bjorn being targeted. Necrons go first and shoot everything at sheild dread and takes off 3 wounds. He teleports in his Ctan. Shield dread looses 1 wound but kills the ctan in one turn in his phase. Shield dread goes on to wipe out half a unit of wraiths, kills a necron Lord in barge for slay the warlord and survives until the final turn. I get extra points if I table the opponent. Only way I can get this is by the sheild dread rolling an 11 for assault. Nothing else has line of sight. I have no command points. He gets an 11, wipes the cryptek out. Happy days.

Sigh, so many good stories about the Axe Shield Dreadnought, makes me real envious. 

@ Anarnii - I wonder how your Shield nought withstood the C'Tan though. Even if he didn't make the charge, I thought the C'Tan have all sorts of nasty mortal wound "spells" which should have heavily damaged your dread, unless you were really lucky with the 6++ FNP. Well however it happened, I'm happy for you. Sadly my Axe Shield Dread hasn't killed much, or maybe I should say, hasn't survived long enough to work with my army past Turn 2. I just can't make my 3++.

@ Kasper_Hawser maybe just take 2 shield dreads? I’m certainly tempted at 2k (only have 1k currently) but waiting on codex.

I think the ctan used a teleport spell one turn and then the mortal spell turn 2 against my las contemptor who lost a few wounds. I think because I ran bjorn a few players were struggling to know which of my 3 dreads to target so at least 2 survived to really influence the game. I think the contemptor was the main priority for many as it was taking out units turn 1. Certainly worked out better for the points than long fangs or las predator.

• 3 weeks later...

Brothers! I am very please to announce a moment of AWESOME, POST CODEX 2018! Right after release date! For the first time in my gaming experience, I faced a 3 Knight list and not only survived the game till Turn 6, I brought down the 3 Knights and won the game via Resupply objectives!

gallery_74211_14755_6554.jpg

This looks nice for a dead pile isn't it? :P In case you can't see, it's a Knight Errant and 2 Gallants with Reaper Sword and Fist setup, one of the Gallant being the Warlord with the +1 invuln. All of them were Terryn house (as per the blue scheme).

I won't go much into the game, as i didn't really use many of the new tools and strategems beyong Wolf's Eye for my Long Fangs, which was helpful but not game breaking. But the moment of awesome was how I took down his lead warlord during my turn. The sequence of event was something like this:

1) Bjorn, a squad of Long Fangs and a nearby plasma hunters just managed to damage the Knight to just shy of its second wound tier.

2) Bjorn and a Wolf Guard battle leader with TH/SS charged

3) I chose to attack with Bjorn first in case he counter attacks me if I activate the Battle leader first. Bjorn did well but my damage rolls were horrible, I think total only 10 damage, after which he still had about 5 wounds.

4) WGBL swung, only one hit got through, so knight down to 2 wounds.

5) Knight swings back at Bjorn, luckily for me, only one hit and wound, after some good FNP saves, Bjorn still had 5 wounds.

6) And then he decides to try Squeeze Bjorn to death with his magic fist. (Death grip strategem). Manages to deal another 2 wounds to Bjorn, down to 3 wounds. Thankfully, in the arm wrestling contest, Bjorn breaks free of the Knight's grip (both player rolls off, if enemy strength+ dice roll is equal or higher, no more mortal wounds)

7) And then? HE ATTACKS AGAIN! Glory in Honor. This time I can't avoid the hits and he deals an unholy amount of damage on me.

8) He wants to do this? Fine. I activate "Only in death does duty End". Finally took off his last wounds. If I'm going to go down, he is going to go down with me.

9) Sigh, sadly he had one last middle finger. He activated Noble Sacrifice and EXPLODED! And what did he take down with him in addition to Bjorn? My nearby Battle Leader and the 6 man Grey hunter squad! My God, he rolled sixes for both when dealing mortal wound explosions.

Oh my God, that was one of the best moments of play I had in 40K. We were both so determined to take each other down. Of course he could afford to burn CP after CP as he had some damn guardsmen with Kurov's aquila. And to my credit, despite my limited CP, I decided that I had to take down the Gallant warlord before he reached my Long Fang lines. And so by the end of this drama, I was left with about 2 CP left out of my original 10 CP (1 battalion, 1 Spearhead, and Bjorn's +1) On the other hand, the other guy still had more than 10.

Was it worth it? In the end yes. Thankfully my 3 Longs Fangs and the newly cheaper Stormfang managed to take down the remaining 2 Knights over the course of 3 turns.

Strangely enough, one of the reasons I won was a single squad of grey hunters using Cunning of the Wolf to go after his back objective, and also assassinate that damn guardsmen with Kurov Aquila. And oh by the way? Hunters unleashed was awesome, this time I MOWED down the guardsman on the charge and who charged me.

What did I learn? I am awesome not because of the new Codex, I'm awesome because I am awesome even if I don't think I'm awesome. :) Not sure if that makes sense.

HAve fun with the codex guys. Try ignore the toxic judgements around until you try yourselves.

All in all

I had a razorback with the old lascannon, twin plasma gun turret take down a tyranid heradan as it swooped around the battle field.

Even the anti air weapons failed to touch it but the razorback was 'don't worry lads, I got this'

A couple of FZAPS later and one dead tyranid bird

Congratulation! Nice to hear all of that.

My friend has got a lots of Knights, and I was hoping that with the new Dex I will be able to kill them :smile.:

I got good news for you: you don't actually need the new Dex to beat them. Just good old Long Fangs, Rune Priests and Bjorn, the old men of the chapter.

the overall impact is that I'm thinking of increasing the power of my Long Fangs instead of my usual schizo loadout  of 1 Lascannon, 1 Plasma Cannon and 1 Missile Launcher/Heavy bolter per squad X 3. Maybe add one more Missile or Lascannon in them. 

The most useful if not necessarily sexy strategems I used this game:

1) Hellfire Rounds

2) Only in Death does duty end

3) Cunning of the wolf

4) Wolf's eye (choose reroll hits or reroll wounds for Long Fangs)

My next plan? Try Outflank my Long Fangs next time, and use Keen Senses to remove the Hit penalties entirely. At least i think I can. Preferably with multi meltas. Nah, even with my schizo loadout should be enough to increase my hits and damage.

congrats on the win. and yes people with the AM battery tend not to protect him very well

send in your preferred unit and shut the bugger down

Yeah thank God his loyal 32 weren't very well armed or spread out otherwise I couldn't penetrate his backline. His backline was basically the Kurov guy, a couple of guardsmen squad and 2 Hyrda tanks. Only in Turn 3 I saw a gap and aimed for the annoying guy and killed him by Turn 4. By Turn 5, one lonely sergeant survived to capture his objective. Wish I could turn him to lone wolf but i was absolutely dry on CP by Turn 3.

I had a razorback with the old lascannon, twin plasma gun turret take down a tyranid heradan as it swooped around the battle field.

Even the anti air weapons failed to touch it but the razorback was 'don't worry lads, I got this'

Very well done. Must have been two hits with double six damage to take down its final wounds. I remember Haridan is about 30 wounds though. Oh wait, which edition was this though?

I'm not surprised, Harald is king

What in the world are you talking about? nobody is talking about Harald Deathwolf.
Don't be snippy - I thought i was posting immediately after Psilence but I was actually just at the bottom of page 2.

;)

His +1A stat bump and WL trait have turned him into something a little nastier than before.

Secs co has been doing well.

First game with the new book saw my ven blizzard dread take 15 wounds off of an enemy knight in 1 go. Pretty epic.

His Twc backup + Herald finished it off.

The sicarian tank (3 heavy bolters + turrret) has been putting in some work as well. Will pretty much chew the face off of whatever you point it at.

Good hunting brothers.

Very well done. Must have been two hits with double six damage to take down its final wounds. I remember Haridan is about 30 wounds though. Oh wait, which edition was this though?

I think it was last edition (7th) or possibly the one before it.

Basically the razorback was the only one who put any real hurt on the beasty and by all rights it shouldn't have been able to.

2 turns tho. Possibly hitting on 6s

One squad of Wulfen killed 2 knights a few days ago for me.

I charged with 5 wulfen (4 TH/SS), 1 Smashlord, 1 battle leader. Lord had saga of wolfkin and had completed the deed by wiping some BA scouts the turn before.

After I charge he heroically intervenes a gallant into the wulfen. Note I did declare both knights as charge targets. Hitting on 3s...rerolling 1s and wounding on 3s rerolling 1s leads to 36 wounds on knight A. Second knight swings into the Wulfen (characters couldn't reach knight on pile in) I botch saves and he wipes the squad. Death Frenzy deals 39 wounds and kills this one as well.

And yes I had enough wounds caused that I could have killed a 3rd knight had one been there.

Back in 7th edition, just after the release of the books that added the Great Company formation, I went up against Eldar.

Everyone hated the Wraithknight. No-one had killed it.

But that day, the Wolves were invincible. The Eldar army was comprehensively defeated, and the Wraithknight itself brought low by a beserk charge from the Bloodclaws.

Back in 7th edition, just after the release of the books that added the Great Company formation, I went up against Eldar.

But that day, the Wolves were invincible. The Eldar army was comprehensively defeated, and the Wraithknight itself brought low by a beserk charge from the Bloodclaws.

Not to disbelieve you, but care to elaborate how the Wraithknight was brought down? I find it hard to believe unless the WK was on its last 3 wounds, and the Blood Claw somehow hit and wound with all his 3 power fists attacks on the charge. the WK would also have to fail all its Feel No Pain rolls which Gargatuan Creatures had. Also bear in mind back then the WK was T8 and could not be hurt by S6 and below I think, so the rest of the BC chainswords wouldn't be able to wound unless they had furious charge or something.

Not to disbelieve you, but care to elaborate how the Wraithknight was brought down? I find it hard to believe unless the WK was on its last 3 wounds, and the Blood Claw somehow hit and wound with all his 3 power fists attacks on the charge. the WK would also have to fail all its Feel No Pain rolls which Gargatuan Creatures had. Also bear in mind back then the WK was T8 and could not be hurt by S6 and below I think, so the rest of the BC chainswords wouldn't be able to wound unless they had furious charge or something.

I cant remember off hand how many Blood Claws there were - 10-15 total, and they had 4 attacks on the charge (1 base, +1 for 2CCW, +1 Charge, +1 Berserk charge).

Also, I did specify Great Company (might have been one specific GC, its a few years since the game!) which did grant Furious Charge or some equivalent - and S5 was sufficient to wound a T8 model on a 6.

Nor was it all that low on Wounds - about 50%. It was just one of those games where the rolls are almost perfect - hence my comment about the Wolves being invincible. I get a hell of a lot of bad luck to compensate mind you (we still can't explain the loss of 5 terminators to a 10 man lasgun squad...without FRFSRF!)

I cant remember off hand how many Blood Claws there were - 10-15 total, and they had 4 attacks on the charge (1 base, +1 for 2CCW, +1 Charge, +1 Berserk charge).

Also, I did specify Great Company (might have been one specific GC, its a few years since the game!) which did grant Furious Charge or some equivalent - and S5 was sufficient to wound a T8 model on a 6.

Nor was it all that low on Wounds - about 50%. It was just one of those games where the rolls are almost perfect - hence my comment about the Wolves being invincible. I get a hell of a lot of bad luck to compensate mind you (we still can't explain the loss of 5 terminators to a 10 man lasgun squad...without FRFSRF!)

OK, I guess the story is awesomely believable now.

I think my two favorite moments in the history of playing wolves are as follows:

1: During an Apoc game my Terminator Rune Priest stormed a skyshield landing pad and secured an objective on the far left side of the double table, where he promptly took position on the elevated terrain feature and spent the rest of the game casting living lightning at targets waaaaay on the other end of the two tables, some ten feet away. The unlimited range of the old Living Lightning allowed for some hilarious shenanigans like mulching heavy weapons teams and putting some hurt on a Greater Daemon. He didn't do all that much but the image of this Rune Priest standing on a platform across the battlefield sending bolts of lightning all over the place was just awesome.

2: During a game against another Space Wolf player I had Arjac and his squad of Wolf Guard receive a charge by Thunderwolf Cavalry and beat them and then turn around and in my next shooting phase Arjac shot down a Stormwolf Gunship with a hurl of his hammer... that was cool.

I think my two favorite moments in the history of playing wolves are as follows:

1: During an Apoc game my Terminator Rune Priest stormed a skyshield landing pad and secured an objective on the far left side of the double table, where he promptly took position on the elevated terrain feature and spent the rest of the game casting living lightning at targets waaaaay on the other end of the two tables, some ten feet away. The unlimited range of the old Living Lightning allowed for some hilarious shenanigans like mulching heavy weapons teams and putting some hurt on a Greater Daemon. He didn't do all that much but the image of this Rune Priest standing on a platform across the battlefield sending bolts of lightning all over the place was just awesome.

2: During a game against another Space Wolf player I had Arjac and his squad of Wolf Guard receive a charge by Thunderwolf Cavalry and beat them and then turn around and in my next shooting phase Arjac shot down a Stormwolf Gunship with a hurl of his hammer... that was cool.

Oh wow, Arjac threw a hammer in the air and it hit, penetrated and exploded?!?!?!?! Awesome!

Sigh, Arjac, TWC, why do you hate me so much? I never have any luck regarding these 2.

I had a wolf guard with storm shield tank about 13 hits from a caestus assault rams magna melta once

Not quite sure how we got so many hits but I think I'd just teleported in a large squad and characters and they hadn't spread out.

As luck would have it it closest model used to take the hit first and it was the storm shield bearer (I only have one storm shield) I rolled each save individually

The wolf guard howled in effort as he held the shield firm. The beam of ravinous energies parting either side of him melting the ground to glass.

With roar of jet turbines the flier flew on pasts and the energies abated leaving Roaweth panting with effort but unbowed as his shield hissed and popped as it cooled

I had a wolf guard with storm shield tank about 13 hits from a caestus assault rams magna melta once

Not quite sure how we got so many hits but I think I'd just teleported in a large squad and characters and they hadn't spread out.

As luck would have it it closest model used to take the hit first and it was the storm shield bearer (I only have one storm shield) I rolled each save individually

The wolf guard howled in effort as he held the shield firm. The beam of ravinous energies parting either side of him melting the ground to glass.

With roar of jet turbines the flier flew on pasts and the energies abated leaving Roaweth panting with effort but unbowed as his shield hissed and popped as it cooled

somehow this reminds me of the movie Passengers where Chris Pratt (aka Peter Quill aka Star Lord), had to hold open a reactor vent manually, and could only protect himself with a blast shield as the reactor vented hot radiation fire out over him. silly movie but I can just imagine your wolf guard roaring desperately as he shielded his brothers behind him all by his lonesome while the fire bathed over him.

Great moment Loki.

Hmm, speaking of your namesake Loki, I wonder if anyone here actually pulled off the Lukas Last Laugh back in 5th edition, when it could potentially remove a Titan off the table, or take a whole squad of Deathwing terminators surrounding him with Lukas as he dies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have to necro this for possibly one of the best games ever. I'll do my best to describe it appropriately.

Game 3 of the Renegade open, facing down an army of:

~4 squads of 10 Bloodletters

1 squad of 30 Bloodletters

3 Sqauds of ~8 Fleshhounds

3 DPs with wings, one is the warlord with decapitator (or whatever that axe is)

2 Bloodthirsters

To my:

Bjorn w/ Las

Jump RP with armor of Russ

2 GH packs of 5 plus a WG leader w/ SS/combi (one melta, one plas)

1 BC packs of 5 plus a WG leader w/ SS/

Shield Venerable Dread w/ Axe

5 Wulfen - 3 SS/TH, 1 Axe, 1 claw

Long Fangs - 2 Las, 3 Plas, TDA WG with cyclone

Relic Leviathan with twin SCA

Stormwolf

So the whole game im trying to shenanigan my way around to score what little obj i can because his board control is really effective, having the bodies AND deadly fast movers. Top of the last turn I find myself pinned into the corner with my surviving forces (LFs, RP, Bjorn).

His Axe DP (warlord), a second DP, and 10 bloodletter charge Bjorn. He gets too close and doesnt realize what hunters unleashed does and the RP Intervenes exactly 6" straight down. He also forgot that I had gotten Fury of the Wolf Spirits off last turn but failed the charge to clear the hounds.

So RP slows the bloodletters with the Armor of Russ.

Warlord deals unsavable wounds to Bjorn resulting in 12 damage.

I need to pass 5 5+ FNP.

Make 4, command reroll one, keeping him alive

Burn 2 for Counter offensive for Bjorn to give the claw to the second DP

Makes crazy saves and stays alive with 2 wounds, damn

Second DP finishes Bjorn

Only in death does duty end for the Bjorn the GOAT though and my last CPs are gone

Deals 25 wounds to his Warlord DP, flippin' vaporized

RP kills 6 bloodletters with his unleashed wolfy fury

(Incorrectly) Bloodletters strike back at the RP rolling 7 6's to wound

Pass all 7 Armor of Russ 4+'s where any fails meant death, being 4 damage.

1 demon dies to moral.

My Turn now, bottom of 4

RP jumps back

Living lightnings the DP

3 mortal wounds JUMPS

Hits the 3 surviving bloodletters, 3 mortal wounds JUMPS

Hits another squad of 3 bloodletters, 3 mortal wounds JUMPS

Deals another 2 to a larger squad.

The empyric ash washes over Rangvald and the wreckage of the legendary Fell-handed. He says a prayer to the All-father as he draws the ward against malificarum on the shattered plate of his brother and mentor. With a howl of pain and victory the X is drawn through it. The threat had been destroyed, for now.

Best game ever.

Archived