Moments of Awesomeness for our Space Wolves

Kasper_Hawser

I have to necro this for possibly one of the best games ever. I'll do my best to describe it appropriately.

Game 3 of the Renegade open, facing down an army of:

~4 squads of 10 Bloodletters

1 squad of 30 Bloodletters

3 Sqauds of ~8 Fleshhounds

3 DPs with wings, one is the warlord with decapitator (or whatever that axe is)

2 Bloodthirsters

To my:

Bjorn w/ Las

Jump RP with armor of Russ

2 GH packs of 5 plus a WG leader w/ SS/combi (one melta, one plas)

1 BC packs of 5 plus a WG leader w/ SS/

Shield Venerable Dread w/ Axe

5 Wulfen - 3 SS/TH, 1 Axe, 1 claw

Long Fangs - 2 Las, 3 Plas, TDA WG with cyclone

Relic Leviathan with twin SCA

Stormwolf

So the whole game im trying to shenanigan my way around to score what little obj i can because his board control is really effective, having the bodies AND deadly fast movers. Top of the last turn I find myself pinned into the corner with my surviving forces (LFs, RP, Bjorn).

His Axe DP (warlord), a second DP, and 10 bloodletter charge Bjorn. He gets too close and doesnt realize what hunters unleashed does and the RP Intervenes exactly 6" straight down. He also forgot that I had gotten Fury of the Wolf Spirits off last turn but failed the charge to clear the hounds.

So RP slows the bloodletters with the Armor of Russ.

Warlord deals unsavable wounds to Bjorn resulting in 12 damage.

I need to pass 5 5+ FNP.

Make 4, command reroll one, keeping him alive

Burn 2 for Counter offensive for Bjorn to give the claw to the second DP

Makes crazy saves and stays alive with 2 wounds, damn

Second DP finishes Bjorn

Only in death does duty end for the Bjorn the GOAT though and my last CPs are gone

Deals 25 wounds to his Warlord DP, flippin' vaporized

RP kills 6 bloodletters with his unleashed wolfy fury

(Incorrectly) Bloodletters strike back at the RP rolling 7 6's to wound

Pass all 7 Armor of Russ 4+'s where any fails meant death, being 4 damage.

1 demon dies to moral.

My Turn now, bottom of 4

RP jumps back

Living lightnings the DP

3 mortal wounds JUMPS

Hits the 3 surviving bloodletters, 3 mortal wounds JUMPS

Hits another squad of 3 bloodletters, 3 mortal wounds JUMPS

Deals another 2 to a larger squad.

The empyric ash washes over Rangvald and the wreckage of the legendary Fell-handed. He says a prayer to the All-father as he draws the ward against malificarum on the shattered plate of his brother and mentor. With a howl of pain and victory the X is drawn through it. The threat had been destroyed, for now.

Best game ever.

That is truly epic.  Worthy of the greatest of sagas!

Great work, Brother! Such a last minute stand-off and then turning the tables sounds really thematic. Both players' rolls sound insane for such a tense Moment! I hope your chaotic opponent enjoyed it just as much.

I am so pleased to hear of your victory, especially when I just lost a game yesterday against the darn golden bananas led by two dickbike captains. Looks like you made all the saving rolls you needed to make, or at least before you die as Bjorn did. Hope you didnt make him your warlord. 

Unfortunately, yesterday's game didn't go too well, though not due to any tactical mistake on my part. When you fight an entire army of super super super emperor's geneseed (???) elite soldiers who all have minimum 4++ and 3 wounds...... well, let's just say I didn't have enough dakka to take them down despite having 3 Assault Cannon Razorbacks. He just kept making his 3++ and 4++s, and I didn't have enough mortal wound generators (only one RP in that list) and 2 Long Fangs squads which i forgot to put a heavy bolter, although I did put a couple of missiles which helped against his jetbikes.

Nevertheless, a refreshing game against something other than marines.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Let's take a break from the Chapter Approved ..... drama for the moment. For now, I'm happy to report my first game of 2019 and it was awesome! It was a simple matchup with a fairly new Necron player, he just played what he had, and I adjusted my points accordingly. Played a simple "kill everything" game on a small 4 X 4 table.

My list:

Bjorn with Assault cannon

RP with JP plasma pistol (Living Lightning and Tempest Wrath)

2 X 6 man Grey hunters with plasma and combi plasma, one with axe and one with power fist, both wolf guard sergeants just had chainswords

1 X 6 man Intercessors with Stalkers

Razorback with Twin Heavy Bolter

Razorback with Twin assault cannon

His list:

Necron Overlord with Voidscythe and Rez Orb

Cryptek with Canoptek cloak I think, he could fly.

12 man Warriors

5 man Immortal with heavy Gauss

3 Canoptek Wraiths

6 man Lychguard

Triarch Stalker with Heat Ray

We were both aiming to tear each other apart either in close combat or mid range firing. His main mistake I think was that he split his army in two, with the Lord, warriors and immortals on one side, the Triarch, Wraiths and Lychguard on another. So I had a bit of time to focus on the weaker flank which was warriors and immortals, before the Wraiths and Lychguard reached me, which I countered/tarpitted with Bjorn. The Razorbacks didn't last long against the Stalker, but still diverted the shots away from Bjorn and protected my troops against the immortals long range guns.

So what was the moment of awesome? Well, I wasn't responsible for it, but basically on Turn 3/4, he finally managed to angle his triarch stalker closer to Bjorn and fired two devastating hits on Bjorn.....

....  and rolled snake eyes to wound. :rofl: :biggrin.:

Oh God, my heart bled for him, I kinda felt bad for taking Bjorn on such a small game but in my defence, i had virtually no anti-tank as I had to reduce my list to accomodate his, otherwise Bjorn would have his Plasma Cannon pot shots at the Stalker.

So my year started well with a nice fluffy game, no need to worry too much on competitiveness, just played what I had versus what he had, I probably exceeded the points a bit because I thought he would bring Scarabs, but I also limited myself to just 3 CP instead of 5+3+1=9 since it was a small game and he only had a patrol detachment.

In the end, he took out my 2 Razorbacks, 1 squad of Grey Hunters and 1 Squad of Intercessors for total 4 kills. My last GH squad had a lone servivor, the sergeant, but since his only gear was a combi plasma and chainsword, I didn't make him into a lone wolf, although it would have been fluffy. :) Besides, as long as he is a troop, he can still cover for the characters whereas if he had been turned into a character via Lone Wolf Strategem, Bjorn and my Rune Priest would have been exposed. For my part, by Turn 5, I managed to kill his Overlord, Warrior Squad, Gauss squad, Wraiths and Cryptek, so had 5 kills. 

So refreshing not to worry about competitiveness. Just play what you have, don't think so much.

Hope rest of you had a good start for your Wolves in 2019.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just had a game yesterday against a pure Nurgle Daemon army at 2000 points. Fairly standard, lots of plaguebearers, lots of those giant fly cavalry, what was unusual was the presense of the AOS nurgle character which rides on a giant slug, Horti-something, as well as a huge LOW Nurgle Great Unclean One ("GUO") whose name I can't pronounce, it had something like 20 or more wounds on T8, and a natural -1 to hit aura around him, making almost everything around him hard to hit. Not to mention casting 3 spells.

Anyway I won, but the Moment of Awesome came when, in a moment of desperation, I had to charge my Long Fang Squad and a Razorback at the Unclean One in order to delay its approach. Unfortunately, the Razorback failed the charge, leaving my poor Long Fang squad to eat a 2d6 flamer overwatch, reducing it to a Lascannon Long Fang.

Guess what? The Long Fang smashed his Lascannon into the GUO, and actually wounded it, going through invulnerable save and disgusting resilience. Was extremely satisfying even as he got smashed in return (the GUO's sword was like a reaper chainsword with 6 damage and AP-4). And in the following turn, I made sure the wound stayed there by denying his healing spell.

Phew, one of the toughest game I ever had. You think nurgle daemons are ONLY hard to kill, but what I now learn is that they are also HARD TO HIT. plaguebearers in 20 or more get a -1 to hit. combined with moving heavy weapons, the GUO -1 to hit aura, and the spell Miasma of pestillence, can go up to -3 to hit.  The Fly cavalry also had -1 to hit natural ability.

All in all, was a close game, my mistake was outflanking my 4 heavy bolter Long fang squad instead of deploying and pumping shots from Turn 1. Wouldn't have affected much, you can only use Keen Senses once per turn to remove all the penalties to hit, but at least I wouldn't feel too threatened by the mass plaguebearers, and they may even chip wounds off the fly cavalry and the GUO.

First true victory of 2019. Not that the earlier game against Necrons doesn't count, but this victory was against a vicious list although probably not competitive.

True but when you have TWO horde of 30+ plaguebearers and TWO squads of fly cavalry, even with a full squad of 5 Heavy Bolters, or two Twin Assault Cannon Razorbacks, there's no guarantee we can get them down to manageable size, even if we camp in the furthest corner and kite for 3 turns. And Keen Senses only works on one unit a turn.

True but when you have TWO horde of 30+ plaguebearers and TWO squads of fly cavalry, even with a full squad of 5 Heavy Bolters, or two Twin Assault Cannon Razorbacks, there's no guarantee we can get them down to manageable size, even if we camp in the furthest corner and kite for 3 turns. And Keen Senses only works on one unit a turn.

I'm considering a leviathan and house mortan crusader for your exact scenario (and flyers too)

1 CP each unit and they can ignore penalties

even vect can only stop 1

20+ shots for leviathan

14+2d6+3 and more shots from support weapons if crusader is close

I'm considering a leviathan and house mortan crusader for your exact scenario (and flyers too)

20+ shots for leviathan

What is the most shooty loadout for a leviathan? I've seen them with 2 massive arm canons, but I'm not sure whether they are stormcannon array or something else? Maybe one day I'll borrow my friend's leviathan and still call it a wolf.

As for House Mortan, well, you know how I feel about going Knights. Still, relatively simple and cool color scheme, and its household trait actually favors CC.

20+ shots for leviathan

What is the most shooty loadout for a leviathan? I've seen them with 2 massive arm canons, but I'm not sure whether they are stormcannon array or something else? Maybe one day I'll borrow my friend's leviathan and still call it a wolf.

As for House Mortan, well, you know how I feel about going Knights. Still, relatively simple and cool color scheme, and its household trait actually favors CC.

Shootiest leviathan has 2 storm cannon arms (20 shots) and 3 HK missiles

Deploy out of LOS.  Step out use keen senses and SURPRISE

*And if Bjorn or a WL are nearby you are hitting on 2's rerolling against EVERYTHING (including flyers)

Also...keep a RP nearby and anyone coming out of reserves gets shot at BS3 with those 20 guns

Mortan is basically the SW knight chapter.  Their trait is the basically the same as hunters unleashed (+1 to hit in first round of melee).  So the shooty crusader has 12 stomp attacks hitting on 2s

The problem is those units cost 800 points alone haha.  I have a theory craft list I might use at league that relies on a barebones Rusty 17 for CP but it is severely lacking in subtlety.  I basically shove Bjorn the Leviathan and the Crusader down your throat with a RP and armor of russ as insurance.  I'll post it in the army section for you to mull over.

• 2 weeks later...

I played in a five round tournament this weekend. I had one game, where my venerable dreadnought killed a morkanought and a battlewagon in two turns with his fenrisian great axe! It was pretty great.

In another game, my rune priest killed a lord of change with living lightning.

Fun stuff!

I played in a five round tournament this weekend. I had one game, where my venerable dreadnought killed a morkanought and a battlewagon in two turns with his fenrisian great axe! It was pretty great.

In another game, my rune priest killed a lord of change with living lightning.

Fun stuff!

Very please to hear that killersquid, always a pleasure when you kill something big in GLORIOUS CLOSE COMBAT! Or zap something to death with the power of the elements. thank you for keeping this thread alive too, I didn't always want to be the one posting my awesome moment.

Sadly I got my behind kicked last week by the sons of Dorn, which started me thinking on whether to use alternatives to Long Fangs as heavy support. Only good thing in the game was Bjorn got charged by a Redemptor, but miraculously survived with one wound remaining and then sent the Redemptor to the scrap heap. I'll spare the details but it was almost a pure primaris army except instead of Hellblasters, he used Centurions and Contemptor Mortis Dreadnoughts with lascannons as his heavy support. My poor razorbacks didn't stand a chance.

The only real awe-inspiring moment I had with my wolves was in the tailed end of 6th edition. We were playing in a 1000 pt escalation league, and my first game was against a Black Legion list. He had the big nasty Daemon Prince with Black Mace charge into Bjorn turn 2. He rolled 4 successful wounds, any of which were more than capable of triggering an explosion.

Bjorn proceeded to make 4 5++s, all on 5s, then wound with all of his attacks, killing the Daemon Prince outright. The rest of the game saw the rest of his army blindly focusing their hate on Bjorn for killing their warlord, allowing for the rest of my army to encircle and destroy them.

The only real awe-inspiring moment I had with my wolves was in the tailed end of 6th edition. We were playing in a 1000 pt escalation league, and my first game was against a Black Legion list. He had the big nasty Daemon Prince with Black Mace charge into Bjorn turn 2. He rolled 4 successful wounds, any of which were more than capable of triggering an explosion.

Bjorn proceeded to make 4 5++s, all on 5s, then wound with all of his attacks, killing the Daemon Prince outright. The rest of the game saw the rest of his army blindly focusing their hate on Bjorn for killing their warlord, allowing for the rest of my army to encircle and destroy them.

well done. Sigh, I wonder what possessed GW to take away his Invulnerable save. I know he got a Feel No Pain in return, but that isn't enough to save Bjorn from Lascannon fire or big punches from Knights.

well done. Sigh, I wonder what possessed GW to take away his Invulnerable save. I know he got a Feel No Pain in return, but that isn't enough to save Bjorn from Lascannon fire or big punches from Knights.

If Bjorn is tanking lascannons you have bigger problems.

Yeah, you don't really need an invulnerable save when they can't target you!

Considering how tough he is, otherwise, I think he's pretty reasonable. Vulnerable to other, powerful melee units, but he can be a bit of a bully sometimes if used well!

Yeah, you don't really need an invulnerable save when they can't target you!

Considering how tough he is, otherwise, I think he's pretty reasonable. Vulnerable to other, powerful melee units, but he can be a bit of a bully sometimes if used well!

He's a beast and the best thing about our codex. The GOAT.

So Played my first game tonight.

1250 Points against Orks.

His warboss in Mega Armour and a all Close Combat Deff Dred charged my Murderfang. My Rune Priest with the Armour of Russ Intervened into the Dred and caused him to Fight last. Murderfang tanked the warboss losing 5 wounds then turned around and tore the Dred apart before it could attack.

On my turn my Rune Priest cast Smite on a 11 into the clostest Unit; the Warboss and did 5 MW. Then cast Living Lightning again on the closest unit doing, 2 more MW and killing the Warboss. Which then jumped into his squad of mega nobz (who had deep struck on his turn and failed their charge) killing one with a further 2 MW.

The Warboss dying then freed up Murderfang to charge the Mega Nobz and wipe them.

More a shenanigansy tag team effort but wiping 400 points at the cost of 5 wounds, picking up Slay The Warlord without ever swinging at him plus the VP for destroyed units was worth sharing!

I agree I have found a Character dread backed up by a buddy with Armour of Russ to be a very effective combo. I normally use Bjorn and a Iron priest as it maximises the value of the 4++ and brings a handy hammer to the proceedings.

So Played my first game tonight.

1250 Points against Orks.

His warboss in Mega Armour and a all Close Combat Deff Dred charged my Murderfang. My Rune Priest with the Armour of Russ Intervened into the Dred and caused him to Fight last. Murderfang tanked the warboss losing 5 wounds then turned around and tore the Dred apart before it could attack.

On my turn my Rune Priest cast Smite on a 11 into the clostest Unit; the Warboss and did 5 MW. Then cast Living Lightning again on the closest unit doing, 2 more MW and killing the Warboss. Which then jumped into his squad of mega nobz (who had deep struck on his turn and failed their charge) killing one with a further 2 MW.

The Warboss dying then freed up Murderfang to charge the Mega Nobz and wipe them.

More a shenanigansy tag team effort but wiping 400 points at the cost of 5 wounds, picking up Slay The Warlord without ever swinging at him plus the VP for destroyed units was worth sharing!

Sorry for late reply Witty, but Very well done! Glad you picked up the ability to tag team your characters right in your first game! For my part, I've never done this effectively before, most of the time my opponent charges both whenever the two characters are nearby.

Awesome sauce stopping the heads of the Waaagh just like that. I salute you, and you may have inspired me to try Murderfang again.

For me Bjon is a beast whom I bring every time, he usually has something screening him, preferably something as fast as he is and most time as tough. Lats battle he had a razorback as his screen. And to be fair it was the Razorback who was the hero of the game, the amount of firepower it had to take was insane. 5-6 units of shooty Ad-mech poured fire on to it, and it would not go down. Bjorn took almost the same amount of firepower the next turn, but he did not loose one wound, and was totally unharmed when he charged the Ad-mech line.   

I have always had a soft spot for dreadnoughts but this edition has ben very kind to them. I still have not managed to execute my plan with Bjorn and two wulven shield dreads.

Cpt Danjou

Archived