Deathwatch Primaris Shoulders

Black Knight

I am just putting the finishing touches to my first Primaris. They were from the Dark Imperium set so I do not fancy removing the second shoulder as well to put on the Chapter specific pads on.

I know that there are many Primaris that were gifted to the Deathwatch with no heraldry, something with gray in the name but I do not have the Dark Imperium book at hand to find the exact name.

Has anyone painted there Primaris in this way and how did you paint the pads? Just a grey shoulder pad seems a little boring.

The primaris that were sent to the deathwatch with out going to a chapter did have at least the legion heraldry of their gene-seed with some in the colours of the chapter were spare from upping that chapters numbers.

I suspect that the Deathwatch gift may have been the large contingent of Primaris Cawl had cooked up with the Traitor Legion gene-seed.  The ones Row-Booty told Cawl to keep on ice.

So Grey(or even Black) could very well be there.  Also, during the crusade unassigned Primaris often had Grey pauldrons, if they were waiting on a chapter to be created for them to fill.

I suspect that the Deathwatch gift may have been the large contingent of Primaris Cawl had cooked up with the Traitor Legion gene-seed. The ones Row-Booty told Cawl to keep on ice.

So Grey(or even Black) could very well be there. Also, during the crusade unassigned Primaris often had Grey pauldrons, if they were waiting on a chapter to be created for them to fill.

Unnumbered sons aka Greyshields their armour the colour of their founding legion with a grey chevron on the left pauldron till they were put in an existing or new chapter so in theory primaris sent directly would have the deathwatch insignia with black background for the right pauldron if they did not keep the legion colour with grey chevron.

That's gotta be hard to be a Primaris. I mean, you were a kid a few months ago and were Captain Imperium'd to be a hulking monster among hulking monsters.

And they just want to prove themselves and everybody is either suspicious or distrustful of them (not without good reason). I bet being in the desthwatch is almost a relief than being with "brothers" who don't like you. Like coming home and finding out you got new step sibbling.

That's gotta be hard to be a Primaris. I mean, you were a kid a few months ago and were Captain Imperium'd to be a hulking monster among hulking monsters.

And they just want to prove themselves and everybody is either suspicious or distrustful of them (not without good reason). I bet being in the deathwatch is almost a relief than being with "brothers" who don't like you. Like coming home and finding out you got new step sibbling.

If I'm right about where Row-Booty got the large number of Primaris to give to the Deathwatch, they also have to deal with doubts about their origin and Primarchs.

Lots of chapters welcome Primaris with open arms.

More chapters than fraters it seems. ;)

I would say there aren't very many chapters that begrudge the added new manpower, and of the ones that do I think I've only read the Flesh Tearers (and even then only the chapter master) being openly hostile.

Still that same unease of something new (is a 100 years old still classed as new?) still translates into the Deathwatch as the team members still come from parent chapters with all their usual foibles. So I'd say there's probably still an element of that in Kill Teams with the Primaris.

You can also take a razor blade and scratch up one sholder pad to make a "Primaris Blackshield." Rules wise its nothing special, but I don't see any reason why the deathwatch wouldn't allow a Blackshield Primaris in their ranks. After all, the primaris from the "Heretic" gene pool have to be battle tested and sent somewhere. Just food for thought.

I painted 1 squad of them with Dark Grey/Black chapter pauldrons and gave their SGT a real chapter pad. I might go back in later and do something fun with the grey pads. Call them my Grey Shield squad and does make it easier to find them in the storage box and know they go together. Pick of everyone together below, but they're mixed in with the normal squad.

am1n2zl.jpg

I've chosen to go with a mild gray for now. I might add chevrons later, there are some transfers with chevrons on the Dark Imperium Transfer sheet but I was looking for some black ones so I might try free handing it later if I can summon up the courage.

IMG-20180718-WA0003.jpeg

You can also take a razor blade and scratch up one sholder pad to make a "Primaris Blackshield." Rules wise its nothing special, but I don't see any reason why the deathwatch wouldn't allow a Blackshield Primaris in their ranks. After all, the primaris from the "Heretic" gene pool have to be battle tested and sent somewhere. Just food for thought.

Official lore, Row-booty told cawl not to uncork the traitor legion primaris.  But official lore also has no real explanation for where he found the large number of primaris he gave the deathwatch much later, along with mandatory tithes for existing primaris chapters.

Archived