Returning after an 18 year gap - Setting up a Space Hulk set

Portman

Hi All,

After an 18 year break from the hobby (asides from WD and the Black Library), I've recently decided to get back into it - I had just intended to build a few models but instead I find myself collecting together a 1st edition of SPACE HULK - I game I've always wanted to play but never has a chance too. 

So this thread is a bit of general 40K modelling, and me setting up a game of Space Hulk. 

I have a fair bit of experience in building model aircraft, but I've not touched a GW figure since 2000, and even then I was pretty poor at painting - I didn't layer, wash or highlight. So I'm also trying to improve my skills - so advice and comments are always welcome. 

Here's my first stab at a Terminator - I prefer the 'old skool' 1980s/1990s style of 40K painting when everything was a bit more colourful, so that's what I've gone for - the paint is the old Ultramarine Blue. 

Please do let me know what you think - I've plenty more left to paint from here! (and what do you think I could do with the base? I used to flock them but that's not going to look right on a hulk?)

IMG_9961.jpg

IMG_9960.jpg

IMG_9959.jpg

IMG_9958.jpg

IMG_9957.jpg

Cheers! 

Loving it. I'm not much of a painting guru (or even much of a novice), but that already looks better then half the paint jobs I do. I'd recommend thinning the paint a bit, just mix in some water so that it runs easier and go for lighter coats. You'll notice the difference, it'll look smoother and won't hid the fine details on the model, like on the face. Good luck, and I hope to see more!

Keep pumping them out and showing them off.

I forgot to mention, for bases, if you are doing this for Space Hulk maybe check out GW's sector mechanicus bases. They have an industrial looks that I think will work perfectly. Plus, they are built already so unless you want to add more all you got to do is paint them up.

Archived