"As if it were the [X] Phase..." is not the [X] Phase

Kallas

TL;DR

Dark Reaper FAQ sheds some light on what is/isn't the Shooting phase to inform when you can/not use abilities/stratagems linked to those specific phases: ie, if it says in the Shooting phase, it can't be used in a different phase that lets you attack "as if the Shooting phase."

+++++

I just wanted to get some extra eyes on this, as I think it can be important for multiple different interactions. May be a little wordy for some, but hopefully I've parsed it all properly.

Quite a few stratagems/abilities, such as the Space Marine Auspex Scan stratagem, state:

"[...] Your unit can immediately shoot at that enemy unit as if it were the Shooting phase, [...]"

Now, that has led to some debate about whether or not you can use stratagems that state, for example the Space Marines Scions of Guilliman stratagem, "Use this Stratagem when an ULTRAMARINES INFANTRY or ULTRAMARINES BIKER unit is selected to attack in a Shooting or Fight phase. [...]"

There are others and it can certainly be read that it is eligible to use for some (ie, some state when a model is selected to attack, but doesn't specify a phase.)

However, when researching Eldar/Harlequins, I came across a little nugget in the FAQ section about Dark Reapers. Inescapable Accuracy means that Dark Reapers always hit on a 3+ regardless of modifiers. In the FAQ it says:

"Q: The Dark Reapers' Inescapable Accuracy ability no longer mentions Overwatch. Does this mean that they can hit on Overwatch on rolls of 3+?

A: No. Inescapable Accuracy only affects attacks made in the Shooting phase."

The wording of Inescapable Accuracy:

"Models in this unit always hit on a 3+ when firing a ranged weapon in the Shooting phase, regardless of any modifiers."

So, to get to my point:

- IA only functions in the Shooting phase, and specifically the Shooting phase, not in another phase that follows the same rules as it, such as Overwatch/an interrupt

- it would follow, then, that anything that specifically functions in the Shooting phase (or in any specific phase, for that matter) would not function if allowed to act in a different phase, such as Veterans of the Long War in Overwatch (which only functions when a unit is chosen in the Shooting/Fight phase, not "as if the S/F phase.")

Is this a logical conclusion? Is there anything I have overlooked?

The main reason I ask is because of the often asked question about such interactions (particularly surrounding stratagem use).

As an addendum, if the above is correct, then it would actually follow that using the Forewarned stratagem on Dark Reapers to shoot at a newly arrived reserves unit would mean that the Dark Reaper unit would suffer hit penalties, as they are attacking in the Movement phase, not the Shooting phase!

Inescapable Accuracy doesn't work with Overwatch because Overwatch is not performed "as if it were the Shooting phase".

Abilities or other rules that apply in the Shooting phase do apply to shooting attacks made as if it were the Shooting phase, self-evidently because they would apply if it actually were the Shooting phase, and to treat it otherwise would be to treat it as being other than the Shooting phase.

Hmm that's true, although Overwatch is "resolved like a normal shooting attack (albeit one resolved in the enemy’s Charge phase) and uses all the normal rules except that a 6 is always required for a successful hit roll, irrespective of the firing model’s Ballistic Skill or any modifiers."

So it uses the normal rules (but not "as if the Shooting phase), which special rules modify. IA only functions in the Shooting phase, so cannot apply.

That does dilute the premise

Archived