The Lords of Silence

Izlude

I know this book is out next month and read the description. I was debating about getting but this seems like it is focused on the Death Guard which it seems Dark Imperium 2 will also be focused on RG vs the Death Guard as well. Not sure if there was more to The Lords of Silence? Since it is Chris Wraight that will most likely sway me to get.

I suspect that the difference is Dark Imperium deals with the 'bigger picture' and pivotal characters, whereas The Lords of Silence (from what I can tell) has a more narrow focus like ADB's First Claw novels, being about a small group of Death Guard.

Perhaps like the difference between Band of Brothers and The World at War TV series.

Edited by Orwell84

I suspect that the difference is Dark Imperium deals with the 'bigger picture' and pivotal characters, whereas The Lords of Silence (from what I can tell) has a more narrow focus like ADB's First Claw novels, being about a small group of Death Guard.

Perhaps like the difference between Band of Brothers and The World at War TV series.

I hope your right. Must say I’m looking forward to this.

Got a copy of this today - Chris was in Warhammer Bath signing copies. He was really great to talk to. Should have it read in a few days.

What what what?? Has this been released??

No, it’s out in August, but there were some advanced copies available in Bristol on Saturday and Bath on Sunday, and I happened to be in Bristol visiting my dad. Managed to visit Bath on Sunday and meet Chris, and snag an early copy.

One of the limited eds or standard releases?

Standard copy

Please let us know what you thought of it.... I am waiting for this as well as the Iax novel from the Ultra side of the war.

Will do! Been a busy few days so I’m only 5 or so chapters in, but I’m enjoying it so far.

So I finished this last night. It tells the story of the Lords of Silence warband of the Death Guard, the main characters being Vorx, the leader; Dragan, ‘the Gallowsman’; Kledo, a plague surgeon, Philemon, a tallyman, Slert who I think is a biologus purifier or a foul blightspawn or something, and Garstag, the leader of the Kardainn, who are the terminators. There is quite a lot of tension between the members of the warband, Vorx is set on following Mortarion where as some of the others disagree and think they should follow Abaddon.

It’s broken into parts, and the parts alternate between the Lords of Silence trying to make their way to Ultramar after a warp incident leaves them in the middle of Imperium Nihilus, and an earlier timeline involving them joining Abaddons muster to attack Cadia.

It is, predictably for Chris, very well written. There’s some great scene setting chapters, such as a chapter with Vorx on the Plague Planet, and a part set on an agricultural world in the Imperium. There’s a cameo from Thyphus that I really enjoyed. The Death Guard are portrayed really well, I really got a feel for their toughness, they weren’t fodder for marines (or vice versa, it’s well balanced), and there’s some good differing perspectives on their lot in life (Dragan is much newer than the others in the war and and hasn’t quite accepted it as much as the others yet). When I spoke to Chris when he signed it, he said he really enjoyed writing about the bad guys for a change, and in my opinion he’s done it just as well as when writing about the good guys.

I’ll do a full sort of breakdown in spoiler tags, there’s no massive universe wide reveals or anything but in case you want to go in clean.

I’ll explain the story chronologically, the sections as I said alternate between the earlier timeline and the later one, the last part of the earlier timeline feeds straight into the first part of the later timeline which I found pretty cool.

Chronologically the first part is Vorx returning to the Plague Planet for the first time in a long time. Excellent descriptions of the planet here, I really enjoyed it. He gets summoned in front of Mortarion, who has forseen the rift caused by Abaddons attack on Cadia. He tells Vorx to join Abaddons muster for now, but that he no longer cares for Terra and will be attacking Ultramar, and for Vorx to meet him there.

Next is the muster for the attack on Cadia. Dragan goes aboard the Terminus Est and speaks with Typhon who tells him although he is bound to follow Mortarion against Ultramar, he doesn’t care about it, and would rather follow Abaddon, and tries to talk Dragan into following Abaddon (Dragan already is disillusioned with Vorx’s leadership). The section ends with them leaving the eye and approaching on Cadia.

Next is the fleet battle over Cadia, and the Lords of Silence get attacked by the Iron Shades chapter who begin to board. While this is happening, the ship gets transported through the warp and ends up in Imperium Nihilus.

The other timeline starts with the ship in Imperium Nihilus, with no one knowing how they got there or why they can’t see the Astronomicon. They fight off the boarders fro. The Iron Shades who are still on board. Vorx wants to make his way to Ultramar to fight with Mortarion, most of the others are less enthusiastic. They find an agricultural planet and kill everyone, trying to provoke an Imperial response, which doesn’t happen due to Cadia and the rift. They take a mortal soldier, Dantine, who is from a nearby planet with an Ultramarines successor chapter on it, and Vorx essentially soul binds him and he leads them there. They meet up with some Word Bearers, and Vorx negotiates into joining with them to take the world (much to the others distaste, they all warn him that the Word Bearers will betray them and call him weak for joining them). They attack the planet, and Philemon and Dragan realise that the Word Bearers are using them to take the brunt of the battle, while they do their usual WB stuff, trying to open the warp above the planet and claim it. They are rounding up and sacrificing all the mortals to open the warp gate. However, Vorx had forseen this, and had got Slert to release a virus that turned the mortals into Plague Zombies and therefore the WB rituals don’t work, and they drive them off and claim the planet. Vorx gets Slert to begin turning it into a plague planet, and when asked his plans, he claims ‘all things are possible’.

So yeah, I really liked it, and would recommend it. Remember to keep things to spoiler tags if they are to do with the more specific synopsis.

Seems like a well-written SM Conquests novel from the Traitor perepective.

What were your favourite parts?

The Plague Planet chapter, the agri-world bit, Typhus’s cameo, and the dynamics between the different members of the warband were highlights.

So yeah, I really liked it, and would recommend it. Remember to keep things to spoiler tags if they are to do with the more specific synopsis.

I was edging towards buying this when it comes out but you've sold it to me.

Have you read the preceding short? If so, would you recommend that others read it first before the novel?

I was edging towards buying this when it comes out but you've sold it to me.

Have you read the preceding short? If so, would you recommend that others read it first before the novel?

I haven’t read it, no. So I can tell you the novel works without it haha, but whether or not it’s better to read it first I’m not sure.

Sounds like the back and forth and relationship-building was definitely there, then :) Was the opportunity taken to help flesh out the Death Guard and their character, their outlook on life and the war etc, would you say?

Sounds like the back and forth and relationship-building was definitely there, then :) Was the opportunity taken to help flesh out the Death Guard and their character, their outlook on life and the war etc, would you say?

I’m not really sure how fleshed out it was before, but I definitely got a feel for this. Mainly about the individuals outlook, but a bit about the DG generally too.

I think most of the modern Death Guard fiction has been really lacking in character, just (in my opinion) too much cardboard character, and a lot of grand posturing.

Even in Crusade I was really disappointed with the Death Guard characters. Dark Imperium did better but it was definitely written with a different audience in mind.

This and Plague Wars are my big hope. I really am quite excited about Chris Wraight and I don’t think I’ve read anything by him I haven’t liked.