End of the Renegades?

Nemerax

Now we are stuck with two bad options. To play with the actual yet poor R&H rules that give no real chances against codex armies(until these rules get too old to be used). Or go with AM rules and lose some fun and cool units in the trade.

I might try out the Genestealer Cult rules.  It kind of depends on what type of force you want to represent; a renegade army or cultist using guerrilla tactics. 

Seeing as it’s confirmed that all the models in the upcoming Rogue Trader game will be useable in regular 40k, I’m betting both Lost and the Damned and Rogue Traders will become at least mini factions eventually. On the other hand GSC rules have a lot of cool possibilities.

Seeing as it’s confirmed that all the models in the upcoming Rogue Trader game will be useable in regular 40k, I’m betting both Lost and the Damned and Rogue Traders will become at least mini factions eventually. On the other hand GSC rules have a lot of cool possibilities.

Makes me wonder if the timing's more than a coincidence. 

R&H kits being squat'ed after that long only for GW to put out Chaos Mutants a month or so later? 

I can't remember if it was on this sub-forum or elsewhere, but I recall a post about how their approach to Lost & Damned going forward may be to focus more on the Mutant Hordes theme rather than Traitors-with-Lasguns. Still 'mortals' but not clashing quite so much with the Genestealer Cult and Spiky!Imperial Guard thematic. I'd like to see both aspects supported of course, but well, I guess we ought to count our chicks when they make it- or however it goes.

Genestealers have no Codex yet either, not sure if there will be one. They have slightly better stats, but you could also go competitive wit R&H. Just use two Macharius Vulcan and a Baneblade. That is how I play on tournaments. Genestealers cannot do that easily.

R&H kits being squat'ed after that long only for GW to put out Chaos Mutants a month or so later? 

Honestly I expected something like that. There was no real reason to stop production. I heard rumours months ago of Rogue Trader featuring mutants.

Too vent off a bit. Why nurgle again? They just got new stuff.

Without going to much overboard, but according to what Forgeworld took of production and they want to keep 30k, I expect after Space Wolves and Ork Codex, a Genestealer Codex.

Now with the release of the Sisters of Battle in 2019/2020 would be the moment I would expect an actual Renegade Codex in a Boxed Set with them.

It would fit thematically.

There's definitely a new Genestealer Cult codex coming out. Most likely next month along with Space Wolves as it seems October is going to be Orktober. Also just a heads up, GSC can take Forge World Imperial tanks (or could, I'm not sure if anything will change).

Something tells me that if GW is going to go balls to the wall and make a full Lost and the Damned codex, it'll be Undivided with the ability to mark your army. Also remember, 8th is Nurgle centric in general. It's the plot and the theme.

Also just a heads up, GSC can take Forge World Imperial tanks (or could, I'm not sure if anything will change).

True, they can even take anything from the Astra Militarum, but they need a Genestealer Cult Detachment for that. We do not need to and can be a bit more picky. Depends on your points, if you use beta rules etc.

This topic would need to be its own discussion whether it has more advantages or disadvantages.

As far as the Genestealer Cults go, the opportunities with Cult Ambush is the best fluff-wise choice. Not to mention the use of civilian vehicles as weapons. I would imagine a chaos uprising would look like that.

• 2 weeks later...

It also depends highly upon your army. If your R&H focuses more on that recently risen up and turned from the light of the Emperor then yes, GCult makes perfect sense and if I was doing a type of army to that extent I would totally use that army. Using count as and working through things you could really make it feel like a real revolt.

However my own army is not that way, its more in line with the Blood Pact and Sons of Sek, hence why I use the IG codex.

Honestly, as I've said this thousands of times before, the days of the EoT codex and having some sort of sanctioned army from GW are over and have been over. We got our hopes up with the R&H list from FW but they tanked that and probably will continue to tank it. Until GW gives us something for our army, and 8th is the perfect platform to do so, I don't envision us being anything more than we have always been; a count as army.

Love it or hate it, but its the truth. To even come adequately close to what we have in our sick and twisted minds we have to use count as. Do I like it? Not really. But by doing count as it allows us to field the army that we want. FW is FW, it tends to be expensive and given their latest pricing snaffu I don't have any inclination to give them more of my money unless I absolutely wish to buy it. For now I'll be happy to run my traitor guard armoured company as count as IG.

Well good news for every Nurgle worshipper in our group. With Kill Team: Rogue Trader the Mutants get rules to be used with a regular 40k army. Even stratagems for them. I am actually quite sure at this point GW is cooking up something good for us.

Never underestimate GWs insatiable need to reinvent and expand the line in order to have something new to offer the customer. The GW of the past would be hard pressed to give deep consideration to R&H; but look at the pace they're creating things now and some of the unexpected and well-received surprises (GSC, AdMech) that have come along with said pace. It's almost just a matter of time before they'll need something new to revamp to keep the flow going, and R&H has as good a chance as any faction if they're willing to dust off GSC and Rogue Traders after so many years. I can't hazard a guess to the timeline, but I'm optimistic, and I have plenty on my plate already to keep me occupied as I wait. FW did just release a Dark Mechanicus character, which seems odd for a faction that's only partly in existence unless there are bigger plans in motion. GW has been making some odd choices in between many really solid decisions, so I think there's quite a bit going on that can't be gleaned from observing things from the outside. As always, time will tell.

Big mutants, regular sized mutants, fancy nurglings, insect swarms, I’m pretty hyped for the possibilities for counts-as and conversions that this set will add. With Tzaangors available from the Tsons book a daemon world army ala the back of the 2nd ed codex is almost viable.

I think a lot of the gellarcrap muties look absurdly busy and overwrought... but I am still buying them, because I think they are salvageable. I will take what I can get, but there's gonna be a bit of grumbling about it :P

Archived