Maximum Mortal Wounds

Charlo

Okay so something Death Guard (and Nurgle Daemons) seem to do really well is get a lot of cheeky mortal wounds in.

How would you go about building a list to achieve this?

Basically the game plan would be just to get as many mortals as possible each turn to wear down the opponent with un-savable damage.

Fun thought exercise!

I will play along,

lets begin by listing the mortal wound generator:

- all the psykers

- Plague caster pestilential fallout (cast of 7+, 7'')

- Lord of contagion (4+, melee, beginning of your turn)

- Biologus blight rack (6+, 6'' grenade range)

- Living plague Warlord trait (4+,3'', beginning of fight phase)

- blade of putrefaction (listed separately from other spell since they have a special trigger)

- Nurgles rot (3CP, 4+, 7'', once per game, shooting phase) 

- Dolorous knell (6+, 7'', start of moral phase)

- Suppurating plate 

Now to incorporate all of this:

First we take Typhus, this gives us some psyker and the lord of contagion ability without having to take an actual lord of contagion.he will be our warlord with living plague.

then we take the Plague caster and the Biologus, for their unique ability. we give the plague caster the pandemic staff to facilitate pestilential fallout.

I follow up with 7 plague marine, all with double knives in a rhino. they combo off the Biologus and Blades of putrefaction plus the rhino get all of them and the plague caster in range a lot faster.

Next is the Daemon prince with suppurating plate, yet more smite!

We round it up with a Blight bringer with Dolorous knell and 2 squad of 17 Poxwalker that work with the Blight bringer and Typhus.

all of this in one  battallion that comes out at 1000 point, lots of place to add more good stuff.

the list:

DEATH GUARD BATTALION
Typhus (WL)            *Living plague*
Plague caster           [pandemic staff]
Daemon Prince         Double Talon / wing / [suppurating plate]

Plague Marine (7)      all 2x Knives
PoxWalker (17)
PoxWalker (17)

Chaos Rhino
Biologus
Blight Bringer              [Dolorous knell]

DG are not very excellent on magic...

If you want more mortal wounds, pick more dreadnoughts, and max on Soulburner weapons.

Yes, they were less cost-effective after CA2017 cost adjustment, but still much more effective than Biologus or Blightbringer.

And...how could Morty be forgotten?

In tournaments I’ve used Nurgles Rot in the opponent’s shooting phase just after they move in their turn towards me for a ‘sure kill’. (DP / Mort).

Rhinos are great in this role with Putrid Detonation for 1CP... a lot of Mortal wounds are possible if you slam it n to the right position.

In tournaments I’ve used Nurgles Rot in the opponent’s shooting phase just after they move in to a large based figure for ‘sure kill’. (DP / Mort).

Rhinos are great in this role with Putrid Detonation for 1CP... a lot of Mortal wounds are possible if you slam it n to the right position.

Sneaky, I like it.

DG are not very excellent on magic...

If you want more mortal wounds, pick more dreadnoughts, and max on Soulburner weapons.

Yes, they were less cost-effective after CA2017 cost adjustment, but still much more effective than Biologus or Blightbringer.

And...how could Morty be forgotten?

You don't need to be very excellent. Just better than most. And you can do that by simply packing a few more psyker because other armies that are not GK or TSons usually don't take more than one or two psyker in a 2k points list with two already being a lot.

I recently ran Death Guard at a 1750 point tournament the other weekend.

Three units of 7 in rhinos with a biologus, Chaos lord and Necrosius with arch contaminator. Dropping veteran of the long war and blight bombardment, generally resulted in 10 to 13 mortal wounds and about 17 to 20 armour saves in addition to the mortal wounds. Nothing was generally left of whatever unit copped it.

Great idea for a thread. I'd been told Deathguard were good for Mortal Wounds but my regular opponent plays Thousand Sons, Grey Knights and Tyrannids so there is ALWAYS tons of psykers. I'm very interested to see the ways we can cause more mortal wounds ourselves.

Three units of 7 in rhinos with a biologus, Chaos lord and Necrosius with arch contaminator. Dropping veteran of the long war and blight bombardment, generally resulted in 10 to 13 mortal wounds and about 17 to 20 armour saves in addition to the mortal wounds. Nothing was generally left of whatever unit copped it.

How "hard" was the tournament? Cut throat edge of meta or just stronger lists than average?

What was the rest of your list and how did it perform?

How "hard" was the tournament? Cut throat edge of meta or just stronger lists than average?

What was the rest of your list and how did it perform?

To be fair It was a more a mid range event that was comped,it  only allowed 2 detachments and banned soups, air wing and the supreme command detachments. But every game was a tough and rather well balanced match, how 40k should be played. But ill be testing the list out at another event soon without comp and will diffently have the waac lists.

As for the list:

Chaos Lord

Necrosius

Biologus Putrifier

Foul Blightspawn

Foul Blightspawn

Plague Marines x 7 - x3 Plasma 

Plague Marines x 7 - x1 Plasma, x 2 Blight Launchers 

Plague Marines x 7 - x1 Plasma, x 2 Blight Launchers 

Rhino - x 2 Combi-bolters

Foetid Bloat Drone - Spewers

Foetid Bloat Drone - Spewers

Plagueburst Crawler - spewers and heavy slugger

Plagueburst Crawler - spewers and heavy slugger

Played against:

Salamanders - win

Khorne Daemons - loss

Dark Eldar - loss (had a random table giving kill points each tun. Any other mission type would of been a win, I held 5 of 6 objectives and he had two models left at the end).

Necrons - win

Grey Knights - win

The list was tough, I didn't really give up many kill points across the 5 games. I used the blight bombardment and veterans combo every game and twice in one game. 

Didn't lose a PBC until the last game, they didn't do a lot in the first game but came through for the rest.

The bloat drones were great, one flamed two necron lords and a cryptek over a couple of turns.

Maines were solid pumping out a decent amount of firepower.

FBS slowed down assaults and made things disappear. 

I am quite happy with the list, some slight tweaks and then expand it to 2000pts.

Nice!

It doesn't look particularly tough but it seems this is what DG do well, they don't look too deadly but are actually quite solid once you factor in re-rolls, buffs and all the crazy resilience stuff.

Nice!

It doesn't look particularly tough but it seems this is what DG do well, they don't look too deadly but are actually quite solid once you factor in re-rolls, buffs and all the crazy resilience stuff.

Yeah exactly, the rerolls from the lord and arch contaminator really helped, the list is designed to support/buff itself. Needs some minor changes but a solid list at the moment.

Archived