Grey Knight gunline

Vegeta

So this list is purely Gks against a horde of orks 

Ork list that im expecting... 

Battalion detachment

HQs

Gaz + Big Mek

Troops

2 unit of 30 boys with sluggas (total of 60)

1 unit of 30 shootas

3 big gunz with kannons (either as a joint or separate unit)

Vanguard detachment

HQ

Weird boy

Elites

several nobs with a mix of power klaws and killsaws etc.

Painboy

Nob with Waaagh banner

Nobs and pain boy in a trukk

Gaz foot slog with the 60 boys

typically an objective game most of the time.

My Gunline as follows...

Spearhead detachment

HQ

Draigo (240) pts gate and vortex

Heavy Support

2 nemesis dreadknights with heavy psycannon and gatling siliencer each (1 with teleporter) (440) 1 with sanctuary, 1 with gate or sanctuary

2 purgation squads with 4 psycannons each justicar has falchions (306) pts astral aim/gate

2 purgation squads with 4 psiliencers, 1 purgator with falchions, each justicar has falchions (268 pts) astral aim/gate

2 razorbacks with twin assault cannons, storm bolter and hunter-killer missile (244) pts

Play style is simply sit in a building and shoot, with the razorbacks and 1 nemesis dreadknight will block ways getting through the ground level of the building so he can't get to my units in the building.

Gate around the board for the objectives when needed,

I'm aware that there are simply other options such as allies, however at this moment in time im looking for little adjustments like swapping out the razorbacks for a land raider, or having a chapter master dread instead of a normal one, or having voldus instead of draigo etc. Nothing too drastic,

however feel free to comment of any big changes and why. This is a campaign, so there will be multiple games with multiple game types, this isn't a "single list" so I could have several. I'm just wanting to know if this list is somewhat looking like it can work.

Mathematically it's around 150 shots re-rolling hits, I could easily kill 1-2 big units a turn in shooting. Not to mention re rolling for overwatch, psyhic powers, melee combat etc.

Psilencers are mathematically point for point better verse everything but single wound high toughness models with an armour save - so basically nothing in the game.

GMNDK are far better than regular DK. 2+ to hit, harder to kill, aura for rerolls etc. Don't know if you can fit two in however.

I would the nobs alone, could be an option to take at least one squad. Plus I could choose to fire em all at Ghaz, with all those re rolling hits, hes bound to die, even with a 2+ sv

The chapter master dread, could be an option, i've taken Draigo mostly because he can re roll 1s and 2s, where as chapter master is just 1s... plus it gives me a better chacne when firing over watch and moving with heavy weapons, such as psycannons, psiliencers, the dreads and razorbacks.

I would the nobs alone, could be an option to take at least one squad. Plus I could choose to fire em all at Ghaz, with all those re rolling hits, hes bound to die, even with a 2+ sv

The chapter master dread, could be an option, i've taken Draigo mostly because he can re roll 1s and 2s, where as chapter master is just 1s... plus it gives me a better chacne when firing over watch and moving with heavy weapons, such as psycannons, psiliencers, the dreads and razorbacks.

Psilencer is still better at killing Nobs than Psycannons, point for point. Psycannon is more efficient at killing Ghaz, but you probably won't ever have the chance to kill him with psycannons given he's a character and he'll be behind other units.

They are Grand Master Nemesis Dreadknights, not chapter master dreads. You do you, but GMNDK's are far better than basic NDK's for the reasons stated above.

Since everything we have is 24" anyway, I'd just keep everything cheap. Only bother using storm bolters and psilencers.

I wouldn't even bother with expensive characters. Our characters dont do well against blobs.

And a gun line probably wont work unless it has long distances guns. You wont be able to reach anything turn 1 possibly 2 depending on placement.

And the weird boy will probably just use da jump and assault you immediately anyway.

So I'd probably just use storm bolters and falchions and nothing more.

Cheers for the advice lads, I played my list and tabled him by his top of turn 5 via killing Ghaz with overwatch. :laugh.:

He went first, no mercy game, hammer and anvil deployment.

First turn Orks, Da jump, and assaulted 2 units of purgators with psiliencers

GK first turn, fell back with both squads, put a razorback between his unit of boys that assaulted my purgators, and gated one away with draigo, brought my NMDK into my deployment zone (played it safe) and wiped the squad that assaulted my purgators and his trukk, then after disembarking, killed a wound of the nobs.

Turn 2 orks, everything moved up, killed a squad of psycannons with his 3 big shootas and kustom mega cannons.

Turn 2 Gks, razorback moved towards the corner to get re roll failed hits, killed his nob squad, half of his other squad of boyz that was around 20" away.

Turn 3 orks, everything Moved up, Da jump failed, mega cannos killed 2 of my purgators with psycannons.

Turn 3 Gks, stayed still, (Psiliencer squad that retreated moved back into position gated my other 4 man psiliencer squad behind his cannons (in order to shoot the gretchin). smited a few orks to death, killed his painboy, last nob and waaagh banner, killed all 3 of the cannons (all 3 were in the same unit) (gretchin 6+ sv t2 psiliencer s4, needing 2s to wound).

Turn 4 orks, Orks moved up, sadly Da jump got denied, Ghaz was out of range to offer the charge after the other unit of shootas and the last 10 of boyz advanced. But his did kill 2 out of the 4 of my purgators at the back.

Turn 4 Gks, moved my psiliencers in my zone behind the razorback and gave them Astral aim, at the back my pilisencers gated onto the building just for fun to get a good view of the battle field. smited and shot the last 2 squads to death, shot the weirdboy to death and got ghaz to 2 wounds.

Turn 5 orks, Ghaz moved, charged got killed by overwatch.

Cheers for the advice lads, I played my list and tabled him by his top of turn 5 via killing Ghaz with overwatch. :laugh.:

GK first turn, fell back with both squads, put a razorback between his unit of boys that assaulted my purgators, and gated one away with draigo, brought my NMDK into my deployment zone (played it safe) and wiped the squad that assaulted my purgators and his trukk, then after disembarking, killed a wound of the nobs.

Turn 2 orks, everything moved up, killed a squad of psycannons with his 3 big shootas and kustom mega cannons.

Turn 2 Gks, razorback moved towards the corner to get re roll failed hits, killed his nob squad, half of his other squad of boyz that was around 20" away.

Turn 3 orks, everything Moved up, Da jump failed, mega cannos killed 2 of my purgators with psycannons.

Turn 3 Gks, stayed still, (Psiliencer squad that retreated moved back into position gated my other 4 man psiliencer squad behind his cannons (in order to shoot the gretchin). smited a few orks to death, killed his painboy, last nob and waaagh banner, killed all 3 of the cannons (all 3 were in the same unit) (gretchin 6+ sv t2 psiliencer s4, needing 2s to wound).

Turn 4 orks, Orks moved up, sadly Da jump got denied, Ghaz was out of range to offer the charge after the other unit of shootas and the last 10 of boyz advanced. But his did kill 2 out of the 4 of my purgators at the back.

Turn 4 Gks, moved my psiliencers in my zone behind the razorback and gave them Astral aim, at the back my pilisencers gated onto the building just for fun to get a good view of the battle field. smited and shot the last 2 squads to death, shot the weirdboy to death and got ghaz to 2 wounds.

Did you opponent protect his characters? He seems to have left them out in the open to be shot at.

How you killed the Grots isn't really possible. How the cannons are deployed is as one unit, however, once the game starts, each gun is a separate unit and so is each 2 grot team that mans each gun. You would need to allocate each model in your unit to shoot at each squad individually for you to achieve this, but given that you said they were all in the same unit, I don't think you did.

There seems to be an awful lot of movement with you heavy weapons but they seem to be still doing a lot of damage. Reroll failed hits happens before modifiers, so for example moving your razorbacks will still miss on 3's and can't be rerolled. Did you also remember that gating is considered movement when firing with heavy weapons?

Overall it feels like a bit of a stomp, and that you could churn through a green tide that fast. Admittedly, it does sound like he was playing a CC list, which isn't a great idea again this edition.

Did you opponent protect his characters? He seems to have left them out in the open to be shot at.

How you killed the Grots isn't really possible. How the cannons are deployed is as one unit, however, once the game starts, each gun is a separate unit and so is each 2 grot team that mans each gun. You would need to allocate each model in your unit to shoot at each squad individually for you to achieve this, but given that you said they were all in the same unit, I don't think you did.

There seems to be an awful lot of movement with you heavy weapons but they seem to be still doing a lot of damage. Reroll failed hits happens before modifiers, so for example moving your razorbacks will still miss on 3's and can't be rerolled. Did you also remember that gating is considered movement when firing with heavy weapons?

Overall it feels like a bit of a stomp, and that you could churn through a green tide that fast. Admittedly, it does sound like he was playing a CC list, which isn't a great idea again this edition.

Yes he did protect his characters, he kept the weird boy, Ghaz and the Big Mek at the back behind the units and using cover where he could, the painboy and Waagh Banner were in the trukk, he placed em behind the nob squad when he trukk was destroyed.

I used Gate to get behind the crew, allowing me to shoot them, however he said they were all in the same unit so I just shot all of em, other wise I would of simply split fired. He had a total of 15 grots, I killed 11 in one shooting phase.

Yes I was aware that shooting with heavy weapon does give -1 to your hit rolls, hence why I took Draigo and not a chapter master. I wasn't aware that re rolling failed hits, happened before modifies, I just simply said I hit on 4s re rolling failed hits. Gatling is a heavy wepon yes, so I would need 4s when I moved, and yes I know gate counts as moving.

Lastly, my friend is playing his orks the way he likes, if he simply struggles against this list so be it. Im like 90% sure he won't change his list drastically, he wants to find a way to beat me with the list he has. But he doesn't have to beat me to win the campaign, with how it's been designed. There is 3 of us, Grey Knights, Orks and Black Templars. I am not sure how campaigns work in the rule book or if there even is any, , but through meetings we have made our own campaign rules and are going by that. 

Yes he did protect his characters, he kept the weird boy, Ghaz and the Big Mek at the back behind the units and using cover where he could, the painboy and Waagh Banner were in the trukk, he placed em behind the nob squad when he trukk was destroyed.

I used Gate to get behind the crew, allowing me to shoot them, however he said they were all in the same unit so I just shot all of em, other wise I would of simply split fired. He had a total of 15 grots, I killed 11 in one shooting phase.

Yes I was aware that shooting with heavy weapon does give -1 to your hit rolls, hence why I took Draigo and not a chapter master. I wasn't aware that re rolling failed hits, happened before modifies, I just simply said I hit on 4s re rolling failed hits. Gatling is a heavy wepon yes, so I would need 4s when I moved, and yes I know gate counts as moving.

Lastly, my friend is playing his orks the way he likes, if he simply struggles against this list so be it. Im like 90% sure he won't change his list drastically, he wants to find a way to beat me with the list he has. But he doesn't have to beat me to win the campaign, with how it's been designed. There is 3 of us, Grey Knights, Orks and Black Templars. I am not sure how campaigns work in the rule book or if there even is any, , but through meetings we have made our own campaign rules and are going by that. 

Cool. Well the list was fairly close to what I would have run against an ork heavy melee list. Seems to have worked well.

The hit modifiers is counter-intuitive and personally I think it's a bad design choice, it slows down the game, which is something they have specifically attempted to design against. It's far easier to say "hitting on 3+ modified to 4+, rerolling misses" than it is to go "hitting on 3+, rerolling misses. Ok, now I need to modify all the dice rolls by -1, ok, all these threes are actually misses".

Cool. Well the list was fairly close to what I would have run against an ork heavy melee list. Seems to have worked well.

The hit modifiers is counter-intuitive and personally I think it's a bad design choice, it slows down the game, which is something they have specifically attempted to design against. It's far easier to say "hitting on 3+ modified to 4+, rerolling misses" than it is to go "hitting on 3+, rerolling misses. Ok, now I need to modify all the dice rolls by -1, ok, all these threes are actually misses".

Yea, it worked well in a no mercy game, he underestimated my firepower and is now wondering how to beat my list. Objective based games like secure and hold, the scouring etc will be different, plus the deployment style as well... though ill sit in a corner until it's safe. I do believe in a fair and fun game, so I will edit my list to make it more challenging if it is faceroll all the time as it's not nice to constantly lose... especially being tabled, gaining all victory points possible including, Line breaker, Slayer of the Warlord and First blood, plus all his units. 

Yea, I would of thought it would of been easier to simply have -1 to shoot with heavy weapons, needing 4s re rolling misses. Instead you hit on 3s, re roll failed hits then take out all the 1, 2 and 3s. Meaning you'd simply not re roll any 3s and have 3 piles of dice, ones for 4s, 5s and 6s, then the 3s on their own, as they count as a hit before the modifier so you don't re roll them, (but then with the modifier they count as a miss) then any 1s and 2s after re rolling....   I think my way is better and quicker, and even testing what I done, and the "correct" way in the rule book, there isn't any major difference, it's just luck of the dice.

• 1 month later...

Archived