Trouble beating Necrons

Ultramarine vet

I'm having the same issue taking down Necron tanks - I was using a predator w/TLLC & 2x LC - but I'm going to try swapping the TLLC for a Auto Cannon - so frustrating to have *great* rolls on my lascannons that would otherwise nuke a vehicle only to have it ignored by the quantum shield. I'm also going to try getting my hell blasters in rapid fire range w/a capt. to overcharge. I think if I do this I can (hopfully) take out the tank in a single shooting phase, unless they get crazy low rolls on their shielding. (the one time they want to roll 1's LOL)

​I also face Tomb Blades so I want to keep the lascannons to use against them, although the reduced hit chance against them drives me crazy.

Do you ever run 3 predators together? It is very effective. I usually run a predator with all lascannons, and the other 2 with predator auto cannons amd heavy bolters. Its a lot of dakka, especially combined with killshot, which adds 1 to wound rolls and damage. So a damage 3 auto cannon is now damage 4, which means he has a 50% chance to ignore the damage. Not great odds when you consider it gets 2d3 shots. The lascannons can still be valuable, as Iron Father Ferrum suggested, to get big clumps of damage through should he roll high, or to just target other hard to kill units.

The plasma idea is another possible option, I'm going to see if I can explore it next battle. I'm gonna try to have my full plasma cannon devastator squad with a captain/chapter master nearby unload supercharged plasma into his doomsday ark and see how it goes.

I only have 1 predator for now. I've only started playing in June. I've only played games against my 16yr old son and his Necron army. Both of our Armies are ~1250pts right now (I do have about 4K points of space marines from 4th & 5th ed, but I was only a painter/modeler at that point) We have probably played less than 10 games so far as we're learning the rules. We played our first 1000 point game this past weekend and used the tactical objectives for the 1st time. (I got ROFL-Stomped BTW - he had 100% kills by end of turn # 4) 

I haven't run into a Doomsday Ark yet (but that's what he wants as his next unit) Right now he runs an annihilation barge, a squad of tomb blades, a squad of wraiths & a squad of immortals & ~20 warriors. He play tested one of their flyers a few games back, which didn't seem to be that hard to deal with. But man it takes me forever to kill his tank and his wraiths. This past game was the 1st one using the tomb blades and they took out my entire hellblaster squad in a single turn and crippled my redemptor so bad that his Overlord killed it in the fight phase in the next turn. So they seem like they're going to be a PITA to deal with too. (he liked how they performed a lot and wants another squad)

Plasma Inceptors are pretty viable for vehicle hunting, to be honest. A decent sized unit (4+) with a Captain nearby (possibly also a Lieutenant) and they're doing good damage. Plasma Inceptors are rapidly becoming the best unit in Marines for me.

I haven't tried the Plasma Inceptors yes (I'll most likely will give them a go this weekend) but I've used the Hellblasters in almost every game that I've played so far (they consistently kill more than their own points cost) and I'd say that they're my favorite at the moment so I have high hopes for the Plasma Inceptors. I didn't have much luck with Inceptors with their bolt weapons though (I think that was b/c no AP + bad dice rolls LOL) so I've been hesitant to try them again.

I have a couple ideas for you on the Wraiths. If you can get 2-3 librarians near wraiths, you can smite the crap out of them. Their 3+ invulnerable would mean nothing. Or you can get 1 or 2 (I say 2 in case one fails the psychic test) librarians even closer and null zone them and let another unit obliterate them.

I don't face tomb blades actually, so i have no idea there! Lol.

I have a couple ideas for you on the Wraiths. If you can get 2-3 librarians near wraiths, you can smite the crap out of them. Their 3+ invulnerable would mean nothing. Or you can get 1 or 2 (I say 2 in case one fails the psychic test) librarians even closer and null zone them and let another unit obliterate them.

I don't face tomb blades actually, so i have no idea there! Lol.

Only have the one librarian (for now) but plan to get at least 1 more. I've been trying to get Null Zone applied so I can take out the wraiths but I've failed every-single-gd psychic test when trying to use it. LOL Smite has been useful and I had some success using rapid fire to whittle them down. The tomb blades are hard to hit, you have to subtract 1 from your hit rolls against them from their "Evasion Engrams" rule and he runs them with Nebuloscopes which makes their AP -2 pretty devastating - especially since they can get into rapid fire range very quickly w/their 14" movement.

Archived