WYSIWG Slamguinius?

dbecer01

Hi,

So, what would be a cheap way to go about getting a BA captain with thunderhammer and Jump Pack (Slamguinius)? I'd like to be able to make them look good. I don't see any of the captains on the GW site with that configuration.

Urgh really hate the name Slamguinius. I prefer Captain Smash.

Anyway, I just bought the bitz I wanted and didn't have yet from bitzseller websites and ebay.

GW does have the Lord Executioner Captain (online only), which has a double handed axe - I used that as the basis for my Captain Smash. Take the axe head off and pop on a hammer head: boom!

Thanks Kallas! I had considered that, but I was worried that since it was resin, if I did any cutting, I might mess it up.

Finecast can be an issue (when cleaning up the flash be thorough!) but it's a seriously beautiful model!

Key thing for any conversion is to be careful, especially for a centerpiece model.

I'll get a picture up tomorrow so you can see what I did, but it wasn't particularly difficult - one of the convenient things was that the hammer head shaft-bit (ie, where the head joins the main handle) is slightly bigger than the handle (of the hammer, of course, but also of the axe), which meant it was quite easy to just drill into the head a tiny bit to give a slightly hollow area to insert the handle: making that fit much, much more easily and with minimal seams.

GW does have the Lord Executioner Captain (online only), which has a double handed axe - I used that as the basis for my Captain Smash. Take the axe head off and pop on a hammer head: boom!

That's basically what I'm currently doing as well (together with some other modifications). The only problem there is how to properly attach a stormshield without it looking weird. ^^

I used mostly death company and tactical squad bits. The thunder hammer I got it from the assault squad but I went for a left handed hammer and an inferno pistol, since you know, someone with the death visions of Sanguinius wouldnt have the proper mind to shield himself. If you want a storm shield, you should use the hammer and shield from the vanguard veterans. In fact, you can build the whole captain smash model with the vanguard veteran kit, but it wont have any BA iconography on him.

The desthwatch box has power armor appropriate thunder hammer(s) right? I think the grey knight ones would be too inquisitiony to pass for blood angels stuff.

The Deathcompany has some two-handed hammers as well iirc. Would fit the +1D trait even. :teehee:  (let us for a moment be thankful our Deathcompany doesn't actually have those crappy two-handed TH rules the Deathwatch has)

Can you guys get Arty armor (artificer/ 2+) on your captains? Not that if you can't it wouldn't be appropriate, the Blood Angels are artists and Craftsmen in their spare time, I imagine to help temper and focus their rage.

We sadly cannot Trevak.

I don't remember when we could last tbh, but we used to be able too.

So those chiseled breastplates are aesthetic only.

So it's mostly just almost all of our special characters do.

Save I think Lemartes.

Dante, Mephiston, Tycho, and Sanguinor all do.

Sorry it took me a while, got distracted. Here's my conversion (I didn't go full WYSIWYG because I felt that a Storm Shield would be very disruptive to the model's overall look). Obviously not fully painted (because I'm a slow painter, have little motivation at the moment because Marines are getting me down, and a busy personal life!)

Edit: If I were to go full WYSIWYG, I'd try to source a relatively small shield to go on the left forearm, possibly even a more symbolic one (perhaps inside the Iron Halo) rather than a proper full shield.

gallery_99134_13397_77041.jpg

It looks like there is a Vanguard Veteran in the pic of the units, which already has the Jump pack, thunder hammer, stormshield already. What else would I have to do to be able to call him a captain?

Yeah technically only the Iron Halo would be missing.

Plus any fancy bling you want to add to make him look better than just a mere Vanguard Veteran with the same loadout. ^^

Just an iron halo really. Probably something in the vanguard kit can be used as one, but I'm not 100% sure.

The vanguard kit technically has 5 hammers, 5 shields, and 5 jump packs, so you could make 5 captains! Well except maybe the iron halos

4 hammers and 4 shields :P for the sergeant it has a relic blade and some pistols. (4 pairs of lightning claws also btw)

I put mine together for the event grotsmasha was running earlier this year - so it's several bits plus magnetised for options.

There are bits of BA tac sprue, DC, sanguinary guard, a terminator shield (think iron halo was terminator as well), and several commander parts.

med_gallery_64798_14233_316353.jpg

WIP painting (although strangely don't seem to have a shot on phone with the hammer/shield loadout).

Ignore the fact he is leading a squad of poxwalkers...

med_gallery_64798_14233_587366.jpg

med_gallery_64798_14233_5891.jpg

Archived