3K DG Infantry Reaping

Charlo

So considering attempting getting my DG painted in time for event season... May not happen but playing with list ideas just incase.

This is where I'm at with it right now, I'm trying for fluffy and maximising the RoW rather than fully optimized (narrative events after all!) so i'm saying no transports/ armour and hoofing it across the board under Mortarions baleful eye, maximising bodies + firepower.

Sat at just above 2600pts right now:

Hidden Content

Mortarion

-RoW: The Reaping

Master of Signal

-Artificer

Siege Breaker

-Artificer, Meltabombs

2 Apothecarys

-Augury Scanners

Contemptor Cortus

-Deadfist, Chainfist, 2x Grav Guns

2 Quad-Launchers

-Phosphex Shells

Tactical Squad

14 Dudes, extra CCQ, Vexilla

Sergeant w/ Artificer Rad Grenades, Power Scythe

Tactical Squad

14 Dudes, extra CCQ, Vexilla

Sergeant w/ Artificer Rad Grenades, Power Scythe

Heavy Support Squad

10 Missile Launchers

Sergeant w/ Artificer, Augury Scanner

Heavy Support Squad

5 Lascannons

Sergeant w/ Artificer, Augury Scanner

Grave Wardens

10 Dudes, 4 Chainfists

Sergeant w/ Rad Grenades

Aegis Defense Line

The way I see the list working:

• 2 Tactical blobs and Medics advance up the board and cover ground capping objectives, using interceptor fire and FotL as they go.
  • Heavy Support Squads stay back and capture objectives in my DZ. MoS + SB hang out with them providing buffs where needed sat behind cover of the Aegis Line.
  • Quad Launchers act as area Denial/ annoyance - more of a distraction than anything.
  • Mortarion and the Grave Wardens act as a wall to my shooting units, slowly advancing and taking charges where necessary, winning through brutal Overwatch and Mortarions Prowess. If need be Mortarion can split off and Terrorise the likes of MC, Medium Vehicles and small back-line units.
  • Cotrus sticks near the Tac Blobs to provide support but able to help the GW in a pinch.

In terms of models I have, I own some Deathshroud but feel like in a list like this their Tartaros just isn't too useful... In the past I've toyed with the idea of using a Vigilator to outflank a blob of them up the board (nice representation of the way a Scythe cuts too!) But unsure of it's viability... Could combo well with a comms-relay on the ADL though.

I'm also not sold on using the Lascannon squad and am considering Plasma Cannons for some AP2 but feel like i'll need the anti-tank. In addition I feel like my HS slots should be maxxed out because of the RoW letting me take the HSS as troops!

I suppose as well I could always swap Mortarion for Typhon too, giving me a Psyker and a few extra points to play with... But I think Morty's Stubborn is VERY powerful for this force and his combat skills fill a gap.

Thoughts my dudes?

hmmmm

I get theme and narrative, but I feel this list will struggle big time.

The main reason is obviously mobility

Its going to be pretty easy to ignore the grave wardens as cataphractii is slow as. This then allows time to smash your tac squads and heavy squads. Quad mortars can be ignored.

A well rounded take on all infantry list can be done, but just not really sure how effective it will ever be with DG being so slow.

I'd load up on more back field artilary/deredeo Maybe to bring more guns?

If you want to do footslogging, I'd fully sugest looking at centurian events as everyone is on the same playing field then

good luck!

Yeah quite possibly, not really up for a Deredeo as I'd need to buy it... Looking to keep the army on the cheap (hence Infantry!)

I suppose in terms of speed I'm only missing out on Run moves, but I don't think i'd often do that anyway and have MTC to compensate.

Assault Marines would be cool, and as much as I adore this image - I'm just not sure it's right... Though it sure would be a point of difference, maybe I could angle it as a Destoryer core? Assault Squads with Rad grenades?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/d/d0/Phordal_Assault_Squad.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/250?cb=20110314051004

Okay so swapping the 15 man Tacs for 15 man Assault squads leave me less room for more stuff, as to function they'll need:

• Power Weapons
  • Combat Shields
  • Apothecary w/Jump Pack

Which brings them to a whopping 340pts (345 if I go for a MB on the sarge...).

So using the same list i'm now at 2845, leaving me 155 to work with... Not a lot in the Legion List!

I could always use the Vigilator idea to outflank the Wardens + Morty, giving them some much needed mobility... 

Then I'm a bit unsure of the Cortus, being literally the only armour in the list it's probably a dead man-bot walking... Might be worth just adding more infantry instead? Maybe some outflanking vets with Meltabombs?

• 2 weeks later...
Agree with LtDan, a couple more contemptors and/or another battery of Rapiers could help support the rest of the army as they march across the battlefield?

Archived