++A Roar amongst the Thorns++ Project Restart (Pg 6)

Yeah, your Huron looks mighty and even more so on top of that eagles head. Seeing the Astral Claws and the Tyrant’s Legion looks stellar! Seriously awesome work you and Byron churned out!

The event sounds like a good one with plenty of drink and fun! Probably a great time to sit back and admire all that work! Definitely looking forward to some individual shots and this upcoming event!

Gorgeous!!!! They look absolutely fantastic man, really great job

Thanks a heap man, we're super happy with how it all came out!

Yeah, your Huron looks mighty and even more so on top of that eagles head. Seeing the Astral Claws and the Tyrant’s Legion looks stellar! Seriously awesome work you and Byron churned out!

The event sounds like a good one with plenty of drink and fun! Probably a great time to sit back and admire all that work! Definitely looking forward to some individual shots and this upcoming event!

Thanks man!! Yeah he seems a bit more like an actual chapter master now :P. Yeah will probably chill for a week, maybe work on a kroot kill team to clear the palate, then back onto the 3 vehicles and 8 odd dudes haha.

They're already done? Even as a doubles project you guys worked incredibly fast!

What a fantastic lot that is, kudos on the choice award. I'm amazed at the level of commitment to the models given the timeframe.

Thanks brother. I always find working toward a deadline, while stressful, can help get stuff done, espcially in a doubles sort of set up when some one is relying on you haha. I had a few dummy-spit moments with the painting but pushed on through haha.

Just uploading the pics now, will get them up soon. 

Ok so some pics, still not great at the whole photography thing, but hopefully it shows them off ok. 

IMG_20181030_174432.jpg

The man himself, a little blurry, I'll try again, but you get the jist.

IMG_20181030_174620.jpgJust sort of showing off the dead Red Scorpion on his base.

IMG_20181030_174638.jpgJust another shot of the big fella from a different angle. 

Here we have Ancient Zah-eil. Pretty happy with how he came out. I managed to get the transfer to sit 0k-ish..but ended up painting over the entire bloody thing anyway haha.

IMG_20181030_174715.jpg

Next we have Chief Vivisector Garreon. I imagine he was doing his thing well before Chaos grabbed the Tyrant. I went probably a bit splashy on the blood spatter as I imagine digging a geneseed out of a marine would be a messy business.

IMG_20181030_174849.jpg

Probably my two favourite marines here, I'm super happy with how they came out and sort of show a more 'normal' looking marine, compared do a bit more of a decked out Huron Convert.

IMG_20181030_175211.jpg

Three basic Astartes, varying from 'stock standard' to 'well gone'

IMG_20181030_175051.jpg

Their trusty Rhino. I opted to use a Damocles as given this was the battle of Pireaus we rejigged to, you could imagine it being used to coordinate the fleet counter attack or some such.

IMG_20181030_174810.jpg

Next up is 5 of the 6 Hereteks (one infiltrated the Tyrant's Legion and went home with Byron :P ). Am super bloody happy with how these guys came out in all honesty, I reckon they have just the right mix of ad-mech and maelstrom happenein.

IMG_20181030_175657.jpg

Clearly hit the photo/length limit again :P 

Here are the 5 Nemean Eternals, just quick and nasty front photos to give a basic look of how they turned out.

IMG_20181030_180455.jpg

IMG_20181030_180522.jpg

IMG_20181030_180544.jpg

IMG_20181030_180614.jpg

IMG_20181030_180640.jpg

Again apologies for the lack of actually decent pictures, but hopefully this gives a basic jist of how they came out.

I'll get some pics up of the arco flagellants etc and I get them built, but you may have to deal with a few pics of some kroot knarlocks while I quickly palette cleanse haha. 

They are superb! Again, love all the work that went into them as the results are pure eye candy!

I also cannot state how great that banner came out!

Thanks man, super pumped with how the banner came out also, not a big free-hand man, but was pleased with the results!

Loving the battered, super dusty look of these grim Astartes.The Hereteks really look spot on too, the motion of the fabric really lends to them.

I always figured with Astartes fight.. it would just be dirty and bloody as buggery. Like bolt rounds going into brick etc..there'd be dust and crap everywhere. Yeah wanted them to have a bit of movement do them given they can forward deploy :P

Now the palette cleansing kroot.

Have 'reskinned' the Tyranid Kill Team to use as a Kroot Kill Team (how they don't have one is bloody madness...) but any way I've started converting up a knarloc rider to be the Lictor. They be surround by tall grass, the premise is they'll be sneaking up on something more carefully than the other knarloc riders and the skin on both will be changing to the surround grass/terrain colour (to represent the -1 to hit). 

Kroot%2BCrouch.jpg

Wanted the pose sort of as the Kroot is settling the Knarloc and the knarlock is crouching as low as it can get without laying down. The poses are only roughly sketched out and there will be plenty of GS to come, just hope it gets the vibe across :p.

Cheers

Very fine work brother:thumbsup: ….. your green stuff sculpting is outrageously good. Hmmmm…… what is that I'm feeling:unsure.: ..... I think it's a twinge of jealousy and envy..... I better go have the Chaplain beat it out of me. Seriously good work:yes:

Very fine work brother:thumbsup: ….. your green stuff sculpting is outrageously good. Hmmmm…… what is that I'm feeling:unsure.: ..... I think it's a twinge of jealousy and envy..... I better go have the Chaplain beat it out of me. Seriously good work:yes:

Haha thanks a heap mate, been at it for far too many years and still leagues behind some peeps haha.

So the kroot are on partial hold so I can finalise my build for the coming 1750pt er at the end of november.

I've built

Leviathan dread w/dakkaguns

Dread Drop Pod

These are both ready for a wash and a final going over with some liquid GS

Still to build/Finish

Spartan/Crusader

5x Arco Flagellants

3x Hereteks

The Spartan/Crusader (magnetised spartan and crusader weapons so it can stand in as a truescale cruader for less filthy events) is almost built. I've just got to get some nice Tyrant's Claw symobls on the door and I'm in the process of sandbagging it up, may also add a sort of gun platform at the back to have it as a bit more of a 'special snowflake' as it will be the Huron's roving command centre.

Will grab some pics tonight/tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Battlefield 5 has certainly been enjoying dick punching my Hobby time/mojo.

But with the next tournament being only saturday-week away, I  better pull my finger out haha.

So first up I have the collection of stuff that needs painting. (The green over a lot of the models is liquid GS i normally dump on problem areas that I'm too lazy to 'manually' sort out.

received_337289390371230.jpegSo in the above picture we have the Lucius drop pod (which is crazily huge!!) the leviathan dread, the Spartan with magnetised weapons to double up as a crusader, 4 Hereteks and 5 arco flagellants. 

received_182830265988853.jpeg

Here we have the spartan, with some basic colours popped onto it with the airbrush. Will need to add all the gold areas as well as some extra black areas where it'd be easier to just brush paint it on. Also the back platform area was a move of necassity as no matter what I did I couldn't get the tracks to play ball. So it has a missle launcher magnetised there for the time being that I'll eventually swap out to a probably a varieyt of things, but I did a quick and nasty thing for it given the time frame :P.

received_2053561954682989.jpeg

Finally the dread. wanted a bit of colour on him, but at the same time to not go too nuts. I think the stripes are ok even if it does in hindsite scream 'iron warrior' a little lounder than I thought, but once weathering, damage and transfers go on him it should settle it down a bit.

Will keep you guys updated as I start to fall into the maddened 'must get it done' section of project work as the dead line looms haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Still plenty of time (month and a half) to get the final bits of the Astral Claws army sorted for the 40k Fun Event up in canberra, so these guys are on the side boards for the minute.

I ended up taking my Death Korps of Krieg army to another fun even in geelong where the boys and I generally just use it to get blottoed and roll dice.. and that we did.

I some how managed to punch well above my weight and mangaged to score 1st Over All, Best General, 2nd Best painted and Equal Best sports.. so was pretty chuffed about that line up!

Any way, with the advent of the release of those amazing Traitor Guardsmen, they where the final nail in the coffin of 'well better start the Red Corsairs' so I did. I've just started with a single Corsair at the moment, trying out bits and pieces and poses. 

Any way I give you the first Reaver.

I've opted to give him a slim boarding shield/buckler sort of set up with a real cutlass looking sword. I want to go pirate heavy on these guys..but hopefully not too crazy-camp levels haha. 

47306330_10157200327009050_7315262017365

You'll notice on his knee pad he has the Astral Claws bravery/savagery award. I figured that even though they broke ties to the imperium, a bravery award is still a big thing for an astartes to get, so why would he get rid of it? So by having this he is clearly a veteran of the Badab War and was at some point an Astral Claw.

48366614_10157200327064050_2378939435581

Finally a scale shot with one of those new traitor guardsmen (who are getting pretty tall apparently.. woe to the OG Marines scaling issues..)

47680561_10157200327244050_2330324052217

But yeah the list for it is going to be pretty simple, but has scope for modeling options I feel (which for me is always the main thing)
The main draw cards will be:

Huron (no dug) who I have a vulkan and Ferrus Manus on the way for modeling fodder.
Termy Scorcerer
Termies/Oblits (these guys will also lean heavily on the archetypes of the Nemean Eternals, will we see the return of some of them? ;) )
Corsairs (need at least a squad or two)

Bezerkers (these bad boys will be based off a lot of the FW kit to have them looking really nuts, they'll be popping out of a termite)
Cultists/Traitor Guardsmen
A mother-clucking fell blade (I've always loved the design of this tank, so I'll be making one up... although tempted to swap its twin cannons out for for volcano cannons and run it as a falchion).

Any way, back on the hobby in a big way, with 6 weeks of holidays only 2 weeks away.. should be able to make some gains yo!

Have a good one! 

The Corsair looks great, the Scars helm gives a very sleek, predatory look, as do the angles of the shield. The chained daemon(?) skull is a nice addition too.

I'm eagerly anticipating your progress with the Corsairs, Huron from Vulkan and Ferrus certainly sounds intriguing.

The Corsair looks great, the Scars helm gives a very sleek, predatory look, as do the angles of the shield. The chained daemon(?) skull is a nice addition too.

I'm eagerly anticipating your progress with the Corsairs, Huron from Vulkan and Ferrus certainly sounds intriguing.

Thanks mate, yeah good spotting on the Daemon's head, I like to think while Huron will use and abuse chaos if he can, he and his corsairs are under no illusion that chaos is just as much an enemy as an ally. And lets be honest (fluff wise) if you've killed one of the blood god's minions, you must be pretty nasty yourself!

Yeah going to use most of Ferrus, I feel I can continue with the pose and have him left-handing a big ole axe, while the tyrant's claw sort of lazily swings around behind him. 

Alright, so after getting Vulkan and Ferrus next to each other, I've actually decided to use Vulcan as the base of the model instead. He has a lot more 'thickness' to him and is IMHO a much nicer sculpt. Also a huge sucker for the primarch sized MK3 armour!! 

So just starting to sketch out Huron's pose as well as add some damage. Upon further looking into the old huron model, his power claw is actually quite different to most others in game, it is really just a large hand on a relatively normal forearm, instead of the usual design that just sakes up the fore arm, so going to be some work going in on that. 

20181216_225939.jpg

20181216_225942.jpg

Will more than likely add more damage to his right size, as well as some supporting pistons/bric-a-brac onto his leg and arm to show that side is really messed up. 

If any one has any good suggestions on other bits and pieces I should slap onto him, please hit me up!

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Okie Dokie gang...

Been Quiet on here for a fair whack as we had to pull out of the 40k friendly which was a damn shame...but thems the breaks.

Restarting on the Astral Claws as I'll be taking them to an event call Ratcon that is on the 6-7th of April... Most importantly the venue is BYO...oh yes.

Any way the event is 2k so I've got to add some more bits and pieces to fill out the points.

Last night I started on Valthex. I'll just be using him as a normal techmarine (with conversion beamer if I can squeeze the points)

Not much exciting happening yet, just starting to sketch out the distinctive parts of his armour.

20190218_223012.jpg

I'm legitimately surprised I forgot to comment on this thread. Everything about these models you've done are AWESOME.They're all so frigging cool!

Now I'm wondering if I should look into a Primarch for the Warlord for my World Eaters.... Hmm...

Cheers mate!! If I where you I certainly would mate!!

Flippin crazy. These are flippin crazy. I love all of it.

Thanks man!

Wicked use of that banner!

Which banner mate?

Great works, that's an insane banner.

Refer to above qustion :P. Thanks though! 

Nice going! I'm eyeing Vulkan's legs for some more truescale cataphractii, such a beautiful sculpt. I'm excited to see your Huron take shape

They will be like crazily huge, the model is massive so just be aware haha. 

Cheers for all the support *runs away sobbing* ;).

Anyway, cracking on with Valthex (and a Vindicator and Arvus Lighter) so I can get up to 2k for Ratcon. 

Valthex is the only one that is currently looking different to what the 'base' model should look like.

20190224_223335.jpgSo really trying to replicate all the cables and bric-a-brac on him as in all honesty he, while distinctive as a Techmarine, is quite plain.

20190224_223338.jpg

I've added Ferrus' servo arm as I reckon it looks pretty baller, I'll also add a conversion beamer as that is quite 'Valthex' as well. I have a Contempter one, but it seems far too big so may have to go back to the drawing board on that.

The arms are just place holders for the moment while I figure out how to make his power whip thingos.

Any suggestion on good conversion beamers and what to use as the whips would be awesome!

Cheers!

Valthex is coming on nicely, I think that it  really speaks for his scale that Ferrus' servos fit just right. I like the slight angle to his pose and direction of view, makes him a lot less stiff than the FW model. Another option for the whips, other than the Escher, could be the tendrils of the Necron Wraiths, though they would require a little more work, I feel the barbed tips fit the cruelty seen in the events on Badab.