No room for a dedicated hobby station...

Hi B&C, I'm coming unstuck. I've just not got the space in my current abode for a dedicated hobby station. I've got a decent sized dinner table that's in frequent use, so I'm struggling to sit at projects for a long time without having to move stuff and the hassle of just setting up my station is putting me off building my army and honing my painting skills.

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this predicament, I'm wondering what others use in terms of a modular rapid set up station for modelling and painting?

Back in the day I used to have my paints and tools in a small tackle box and a dinner/lunch tray (like the kind from shool cafeterias and buffets) with a cutting mat fit into it. Usually I could keep my current project on the tray and stow it with the tackle box. When I had time I just set that thing down, put the tackle box off to the side and opened it up, and then could go to work.

I've got a toolbox which has a tray that can be taken out and is just the right size to put paint bottles on. So, paint bottles go in the tray on top, other supplies (such as a water pot and my bathroom-tile-misused-as-palette) go in the bottom, brushes go into a small cardboard box (and then also on the bottom).

Yeah, tackle boxes and tool boxes are a great for organizing and storing hobby goodies.

I got the idea from Toy Story 2 years ago when I was watching it on TV. The toy repair guy had a miniature workshop in a box and I ran with that idea to bring a few squads of marines and paints with me on a long trip.

Back in the day I used to have my paints and tools in a small tackle box and a dinner/lunch tray (like the kind from shool cafeterias and buffets) with a cutting mat fit into it. Usually I could keep my current project on the tray and stow it with the tackle box. When I had time I just set that thing down, put the tackle box off to the side and opened it up, and then could go to work.

I've got a toolbox which has a tray that can be taken out and is just the right size to put paint bottles on. So, paint bottles go in the tray on top, other supplies (such as a water pot and my bathroom-tile-misused-as-palette) go in the bottom, brushes go into a small cardboard box (and then also on the bottom).

Yeah, tackle boxes and tool boxes are a great for organizing and storing hobby goodies.

I got the idea from Toy Story 2 years ago when I was watching it on TV. The toy repair guy had a miniature workshop in a box and I ran with that idea to bring a few squads of marines and paints with me on a long trip.

Cheers for the suggestions, troops...to the hardware store!

I have one of these for my paints, green stuff, and other bits:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/small-storage-organisers/paper-media-organisers/moppe-mini-chest-of-drawers-birch-plywood-art-40216357/

If there's an IKEA by you there should be some great little things/ideas (perhaps Aqui can chip in here...)

I actually use toolboxes for model storage so I can vouch for those. Ones with a removable drawer for models, cantilever drawer for bits imo.

There are other options too. Even having something as simple as a tray that you can move around could suffice.

gallery_62155_11151_817111.jpg

This image contains my method for dealing with the exact same issue. The larger purple box has a lift out tray for random bits and bobs and more than enough space for paints and tools. The smaller black case contains projects that are actively being painted, plus palette and a few other bits and pieces. Kits and bits boxes are stored elsewhere and brought out when required and time allows for a longer construction session. To set up painting takes approximately a minute, black case in front of me with cutting mat to work on, purple case on chair next to me with lift out tray to my left while sat at the dining table. Ready to go, packing up is just as quick. I usually use this arrangement to get an hour or so's painting time in after the Mrs and kids go to bed and tidy up without leaving a trace.

I'm fortunate in that I have an extra room in the house. However, a good solution might be a secretary. A little bit more expensive, but you might be able to convince the missus that you are trying to not make a mess and your hobby stuff will not be in the way when she has company over.

https://www.amazon.com/Winsome-Wood-Secretary-Desk-Walnut/dp/B000NPTZNU/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1532478898&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=secretary+furniture&dpPl=1&dpID=41t8QuxtfHL&ref=plSrch

Working from a tv tray in my room. Enough room to get a desk lamp and 2 rack giving me 3 small spaces. Can only have out so much. I say go to good will. Tubleware and various items are bound to pop up. Found 5 cheap stackable plastic things that turn into cubby holes when stacked. Found a tool box at a dollar tree to hold my tools. I really just have a 3 by 3 space and rolling chair till I adjust my room since my garage is too damp and fested with spiders

Okay, as a former employee of IKEA, I do have a few suggestions. Without knowing the layout of your home, I can only really give a few general ideas. I've also tried to ensure the prices of said items are on the lower end of the scale (let's face it, most people will prefer a lower cost than a higher one :lol: ). I do have a LINNMON table (150cmx75), but I mostly use that for my television these days. I tend to use the predecessor of SVARTÅSEN (basically the same, but the top tilts at 30 or so degrees. The SVARTÅSEN doesn't) to paint on. It's height adjustable and doesn't take up that much room. It doesn't have a massive amount of surface area, but that's fine for me as the room I paint in has other units I can put stuff onto. For storage, I have a HELMER drawer unit to put paints, glues, a few bitz boxes and some models that are in various degrees of WIP. Another, even cheaper option is the LENNART unit.

However, if you're looking for a conventional table then one of the following ranges might suit:

LINNMON (VARIOUS SIZES and colours. Sizes are: 100x60, 120x60, 150x75 and 200x60. No I don't have a clue why the 150 is deeper :lol: ) The cheapest option leg for any of the LINNMON range is ADILS (just bear in mind that if you did get the 200cm one, it will need 5 legs, one in each corner, one in the centre) advantage of this, is that the legs can just unscrew when not in use. Cheapest one would be about £15 or so...1

MICKE various colours and sizes. The smallest (73x50) has a draw to put stuff in. The wider ones have a cabinet built in which can be built on either side. Has a few shelves inside (can't buy extra one separately though)

GOLIAT Might be a good shout, as it remains in the lower end of the price bracket, and has a desktop that pulls out some. Only available in one colour though :(

Just some basic ideas off the top of my head (haven't worked for them in 18 months and still didn't have to pull up the website :lol: )

I would have put some links in to make it quicker for you to look, but I'm on a mobile device and it's too fiddly to do. Apologies for that.

If IKEA is something you find worth exploring, then let me know if you need clarification on stuff. Over the decade I was with them, I've built most of the office furniture range myself, so I'd be able to help most likely :) And no, I'm not formally endorsing my former employer or being paid for promotions! :lol:

Okay, as a former employee of IKEA, I do have a few suggestions. Without knowing the layout of your home, I can only really give a few general ideas. I've also tried to ensure the prices of said items are on the lower end of the scale (let's face it, most people will prefer a lower cost than a higher one :laugh.: ). I do have a LINNMON table (150cmx75), but I mostly use that for my television these days. I tend to use the predecessor of SVARTÅSEN (basically the same, but the top tilts at 30 or so degrees. The SVARTÅSEN doesn't) to paint on. It's height adjustable and doesn't take up that much room. It doesn't have a massive amount of surface area, but that's fine for me as the room I paint in has other units I can put stuff onto. For storage, I have a HELMER drawer unit to put paints, glues, a few bitz boxes and some models that are in various degrees of WIP. Another, even cheaper option is the LENNART unit.

However, if you're looking for a conventional table then one of the following ranges might suit:

LINNMON (VARIOUS SIZES and colours. Sizes are: 100x60, 120x60, 150x75 and 200x60. No I don't have a clue why the 150 is deeper :laugh.: ) The cheapest option leg for any of the LINNMON range is ADILS (just bear in mind that if you did get the 200cm one, it will need 5 legs, one in each corner, one in the centre) advantage of this, is that the legs can just unscrew when not in use. Cheapest one would be about £15 or so...1

MICKE various colours and sizes. The smallest (73x50) has a draw to put stuff in. The wider ones have a cabinet built in which can be built on either side. Has a few shelves inside (can't buy extra one separately though)

GOLIAT Might be a good shout, as it remains in the lower end of the price bracket, and has a desktop that pulls out some. Only available in one colour though :sad.:

Just some basic ideas off the top of my head (haven't worked for them in 18 months and still didn't have to pull up the website :laugh.: )

I would have put some links in to make it quicker for you to look, but I'm on a mobile device and it's too fiddly to do. Apologies for that.

If IKEA is something you find worth exploring, then let me know if you need clarification on stuff. Over the decade I was with them, I've built most of the office furniture range myself, so I'd be able to help most likely :smile.: And no, I'm not formally endorsing my former employer or being paid for promotions! :laugh.:

Dude, thanks so much for the amazing advice and the time you took to write this up. My wife is half Swedish and considers Ikea her spiritual home, haha!

I'll deffo look up your suggestions and she loves any excuse for a trip down the bypass to Ikea!

Depending on where you are based at and what you want to spend, I find the new mobile paint stations sold by warmage right now, very appealing to me now right now. They have been a Kickstarter, but you can either order or preorder them now at heir Homepage.

http://www.warmage.de/info/Kickstarter-Information.html

They seem to be exelent for fast set up. I am using stackable boxes for sewing supplies for paints, and some well organized Project- and Nerding kit- Boxes for a fast set up, because I am also working away from my home a lot.

So I find that very useful to just beeing able to set up dedicated boxes on a table, so you jsut have to open them and know where everything is.

Edit: Missing Info and grammar

Since someone mentioned IKEA - it's worth noting that there is a whole 'IKEA hacking' movement dedicated to kitbashing IKEA furniture kits into other furniture items.

A common hack is building a workbench out of drawers and some stuff.

Should be easy to find via your search engine of choice, but be aware that that's one deep rabbit hole of a topic.

Since someone mentioned IKEA - it's worth noting that there is a whole 'IKEA hacking' movement dedicated to kitbashing IKEA furniture kits into other furniture items.

A common hack is building a workbench out of drawers and some stuff.

Should be easy to find via your search engine of choice, but be aware that that's one deep rabbit hole of a topic.

I'd forgotten about IKEA hacking :lol:

I found my self in the same boat after having our first kid. I bounced around from a man cave to the dinning room table, which is now full of the kids stuff, to the garage. I saw a post on reddit about a year ago of some guy who converted a small closet to his needs.

I have done the same. I got rid of some clothes that I never wore and rearranged things. I put poster board down and duct taped it to the closet grill like shelves that were already there. I also added a third shelf with a piece of wood and some brackets from the hardware store. Oh and I got a magnet shop light that they sell in the auto section of wal marts, etc. and have that stuck to one of the brackets. 

Its pretty tight but I can leave my mess and just shut the door. 

Over the weekend updated my workstation, one wall mount desk and one shelf with storage underneath opened up alot. Granted I just moved some stuff to my storage that opened some space up to maneuver some things around and about.

gallery_105646_14555_89067.jpg

Really opens up my area, and no more fallen pieces on the floor like that, or my 2nd hand shelves slippin off spillin pieces and paint bottles falling completely over.

Sure you can.  I have a Micke desk with the separate Micke drawer units on either side.  My girlfriend has one with the built in side shelves and the hutch, but has the drawer unit to put up against the other side.  Lots of room for storage and lots of desktop space.

My only complaint is that the desktop doesn't have a "lip" for fastening a clamp-on style of lamp.  The top is flush with the sides.

Sure you can.  I have a Micke desk with the separate Micke drawer units on either side.  My girlfriend has one with the built in side shelves and the hutch, but has the drawer unit to put up against the other side.  Lots of room for storage and lots of desktop space.

My only complaint is that the desktop doesn't have a "lip" for fastening a clamp-on style of lamp.  The top is flush with the sides.

I meant the actual shelf or piece of wood within the MICKE unit. You cant buy additional shelves seperate. The only way to do it is to get a PAX shelf and cut it to size.

Sorry, I understand now.  But yes, the Micke is a nicely sized option for a hobby station.  I'd have gotten the one with the hutch but I opted to place mine in front of the window instead.

Archived