Ollanius Pius

I agree. But then if you resurrect Him so He can start moving about then you risk having a character on the tabletop that is far too powerful.

I wonder how He would feel if it was the power of peoples worship that brought Him back.

• 2 weeks later...

Goddamnit I thought we were done with these "what-if" theories...

I am not the only one though

There is one in which Magnus gets his shard from Terra (the one that was inserted inti Arvida/Janus)

The fact that Olly has a weapon similar to the one that wounded Horus at Davin does mean that he IS a threat to Horus in the duel!

Did he grab that off of what was presented as a not terribly important Word Bearer? I am not sure, but I didn’t have the sense that every athame was a shard of The Murder Sword, aka, anathame.

It seem d to me a fairly normal thing in KNF that many Word Bearers has ritual knives. It’s been a while tho, i dunno.

That said, if Ol Did have a shard of The Anathame...

well, that would certainly cause Horus to rethink this threat, methinks.

I personally think the story of Guardsman Ollanius Pius is so obviously best understood as a myth-making concoction of the Imperial Cult that it would be a huge mistake to make any part of it "true" in any straightforward way.

I really love Dan Abnett's work in this universe, and Trooper Oll Persson is no exception. It really works for me that "the ordinary guardsman intervening with hopeless bravery to assist his God-Emperor" of the 40K-era myth is actually a rather extraordinary individual with his own complex reasons for being on the Vengeful Spirit.

Plus, the irony of someone who was called "Pious Oll" because he clung to the Catheric faith in quiet defiance of the Emperor's brave new atheistic world being misremembered by the Imperium as an adherent of the cult of the God-Emperor is perfect.

Does all worship for the god Emperor in 40k feed chaos or is it all going to a god of the Emperor in the Warp somewhere? I mean even the Tau got a Chaos god of the greater good.

That has always been left ambiguous. On a similar note, it has never been made clear what happens to positive emotions in the Warp. What entities do concepts such as nobility, courage, self-sacrifice and platonic love feed?

We already know, since the old Realm of Chaos books, that positive emotions (or some of them, at least) still feed the Chaos Gods. Khorne is also the god of (martial) honour and pride, while Nurgle is also the god of the joy of life, etc. I don't think it has ever been stated that the Starchild was fed by positive emotions. I have always been under the impression that it was just waiting to be rebuilt from the sacrifice of the souls of the Sensei, much like Magnus has been recomposed from the shards of his own soul. I might be wrong, however.

• 2 months later...

I just read Unmarked and Perpetual, and I absolutely loved the spacetime-traveling shenanigans. A part of me thinks Dan might not be the best guy to handle the HH/Siege finale, but a part of me thinks Dan is going to give us something unique. I think his greatest strength is his ability to re-define the setting.

Has anything been written continuing Oll's thread?

Also, does anyone know who is the signor "N." below (from Unmarked):

I am sorry. I used to have faith. I used to believe that there was more to the universe, that there was more than what we could touch and see, that there was a power higher than all of us guiding us, keeping us safe. I never told you because I knew you would be angry, because you might leave. Now you are gone anyway, and I do not believe it anymore. I am sorry. I was right – there is another world beyond our dreams. I wish I could still believe it was a place of kindness. I do not want to go there.

N.

I just read Unmarked and Perpetual, and I absolutely loved the spacetime-traveling shenanigans. A part of me thinks Dan might not be the best guy to handle the HH/Siege finale, but a part of me thinks Dan is going to give us something unique. I think his greatest strength is his ability to re-define the setting.

Has anything been written continuing Oll's thread?

Also, does anyone know who is the signor "N." below (from Unmarked):

I am sorry. I used to have faith. I used to believe that there was more to the universe, that there was more than what we could touch and see, that there was a power higher than all of us guiding us, keeping us safe. I never told you because I knew you would be angry, because you might leave. Now you are gone anyway, and I do not believe it anymore. I am sorry. I was right – there is another world beyond our dreams. I wish I could still believe it was a place of kindness. I do not want to go there.

N.

That is a great point. Abnett changes the way we look at 40k, and I am excited/scared to see what he does with maybe the most pivotal point in 40k history.

Horus uses the Vengeful Spirit to channel Khorne’s rage into Sanguinius. As the Emperor arrives, the winged primarch turns and attacks Him, and the Emperor strikes him down. Horus uses the distraction to mortally wound the Emperor, but is then slain. As the Emperor tries to rise, he sees that Oll Pearson, accompanied by Cyrene, has been watching from the start. In a moment of emotional transformation, the Emperor expresses his love for his sons and his regret, and kills Pearson to protect Sanguinius’s legacy. Cyrene flees into the Warp, giving Lorgar something juicy to talk about if he reappears ten thousand years later.

More than any other BL authour, Abnett tends to insert his original ideas into the 40K setting

Exactly what terrifies me about him getting to finish the series. I rank all of his HH stuff lower than the Big Three.

Wasn't he behind the ideas for Imperium Secundus and Perpetuals?

Would you guys be okay if Olly dies for real/permanently to save the God-Emperor?

I’d be slightly disappointed, in that he really hasn’t had much of his story told. For him to just appear at the last and die would be a bit of a waste. I like the idea of him walking back into obscurity after performing some great act that no one knows about. He would make a great rogue trader.

Archived