New Deathwatch army project- Watcher Keep, Qunitus Company

Reviler

Hi all and welcome to my delving into a Deathwatch army. I'm planning to get this to about 1500pts, with the rest being filled in with other Imperial units.

With this armies small model count, i'm planning to finish this force before the Genestealer Cult codex comes out. Perfect enemies!

I have decided to background my army to Station Watcher Keep, mainly for the reason it is near the Chapter world of my Revilers army. Also the location of my Guard army in the Astolat System. 

Ive decided to commit whole hearted to the army and have written a list and i've just went and bought and made it. I tried to keep my spend down and brought it in at £150 all in as extra purchases. I had a few units already to start the army from 7th ed. Core was the get started box.

l0Z5JUr.jpg

Venerable dreadnought

WFUIjgl.jpg

minor conversion using a drop pod missile pod, as i found out the venerable dread kit doesn't have that option

Storm bolter 10 man squad

SbPUA9m.jpg

Storm bolters from Anvil industries. Sergeant and black shield with thunder hammers (for the A3) and 2 storm shields.

Watch Captain with thunder hammer and storm bolter (bane bolts)

IxdstR0.jpg

Converted from Artemis

These are the guys i had painted from 7th. 

C9pdJHU.jpg

Classic frag cannon and shotgun squad and an old, and quite small, metal librarian.

Here is my first squad from my new models. Half a kill team, other half is 3 bikes and 2 vanguard with shield, they are next in the queue.

These are my support squad, missile launcher and heavy bolter for the stratagies for mortals. Stalkers in support.

MoMwKO1.jpg

Ironhand watchsergeant

VpftNl2.jpg

JoJx3ab.jpg

Raptor stalker

k1Q7Kft.jpg

MlL9ctZ.jpg

Sons of Medusa stalker

i1PvOr5.jpg

2IRQyvj.jpg

Ultramarine heavy bolter

dvBXy7e.jpg

LUNdO8K.jpg

Relictor missile launcher

SMgYfZf.jpg

kCTdJKO.jpg

Hope you like them, more to follow, as well as the army list

Awesome work!  I very much like your Artemis conversion (I may just steal this for my own means :D)  Looks like you've got plenty more painting ahead of you, but as you've probably seen around here DW is that much more rewarding when the Watch Company comes together :)

Thanks guys, it does really help with motivation.

May i present my second painted squad, the second half of the first kill team. 3 bikes and 2 vanguard vets with storm shields. Object scured as part of the kill team. Majority T5 and with the sweet 3++ to tank the big hits. 

Whole combat squad

kuqkZPx.jpg

Biker 1 - Destroyers chapter

ggk3OIX.jpg

EKlicBq.jpg

Biker 2 - Mentor chapter

O1h3g8e.jpg

v2PHCkF.jpg

Biker 3 - Howling griffon

Cc29SpP.jpg

dC6aaNB.jpg

Vanguard 1 - Minotaur chapter - chainsword and storm shield (the first to die!)

53R4KgY.jpg

z1xVt6V.jpg

Vanguard 2 - Brazen claws - power maul and storm shield (the maul looks great, but an axe would be better)

FHNJAmQ.jpg

q1Vh7yt.jpg

Link to my army list in the sub forum

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/348933-2000pts-list-for-first-game-with-deathwatch/

I'm going to paint my watch captain next, Hawk Lords Chapter, the black and silver and completed already.

, so stay tuned

15/38

Loads more hobby time this week as Wife and kids are visiting in laws up north for a week! 

Here is this mornings work.

WIP watch captain - base colours and inking done

A4A7W5X.jpg

Tai9suj.jpg

The finished piece, Watch Captain Miluthios Tractus of the Hawk Lords Chapter, Quintus Company, Watcher Keep

Equipped with Thunder hammer, storm bolter with Bane bolts and Jump Pack.

VvWNRqO.jpg

HebRQWH.jpg

oEzpYqB.jpg

Hope you like the leader of my Assault section

17/38

Thanks guys, Going to try and makes this more of a hobby, game thread, not just the painting side. Though for me they are hand in hand,

I was busy yesterday with painting and managed to get the venerable dreadnought done and arrange a game for tonight! 

So here is the venerable dreadnought. I have equipped him for a fire support role to give the force some much needed AT fire. 

I was dissapointed that when I opened the kit it didn't have the option for the ML arm. However inspiration hit me in the form of a spare drop pod missile launcher that i had sitting in my bits pile and I quickly cut off the power fist and attached the ML, hiding the joint behind some purity seals.

Ngm2ZxO.jpg

735yqVZ.jpg

a23yIhg.jpg

So tonight I have a 1750pts game with the army. 

List is:

DW battalion

Watch master

Watch captain

Librarian

Kill team - 10SB, 2 TH, 2 SS sergeant and black shield

Kill team - 3 stalkers, HB, ML, 3 bikes and 2 VV with SS

Kill team - 3 shotguns, 2 DFC, 3 bikes and 2 VV with SS

Venerable dreadnought

Razor back - TLC, SB and HKM

Rhino - 2 SB and HKM

Guard (Cadian) Battalion

Commander with Grand strategist and Aquilla combo

Primaris psyker

3 infantry squads with mortars

HWS with Mortars

A pretty common guard command point farm and rear ground holders and my 1500pts list of DW. No idea which army i'm facing so should be fun. 

Interesting ML conversion.  Is that from a Drop Pod missile rack?

Yes it is. The venerable kit doesn't have the ML arm and I had it lying around and, Bingo, it worked!

Yes it is. The venerable kit doesn't have the ML arm and I had it lying around and, Bingo, it worked!

Agreed, it works surprisingly well.  If anything, better than the standard since this design allows the missile rack to be pivoted horizontally as well as vertically :)

Another little update both dedicated transports finished. Vehicles done.

FxqF3jn.jpg

q1bBo5l.jpg

HxMcrxu.jpg

0ESICPT.jpg

gonXYgc.jpg

They've got everything they can take. Very special forces feel, with a bit of stowage. The double storm bolter and HKM on the rhino is great for 10pts. I really adds to the first turn firepower to have the HKM's. Especially in the DW army with its lack of AT.

Next up will be half of the storm bolter squad, inc the blackshield

The transfers have just been applied and look a bit shiney in pictures.

Agreed, it works surprisingly well.  If anything, better than the standard since this design allows the missile rack to be pivoted horizontally as well as vertically :smile.:

Maybe a touch practical for 40K then. To actually be able to target stuff without moving your entire body, might be hersey!

Really like the look of your Deathwatch! You have a very cool army coming together. I think i actually prefer the converted Dreadnought arm, and the Veterans and Captain are looking awesome.

Looks like you drybrush grey, and then wash with black to get the armour? Short and sweet.

How did the 1750 game go? 

Really like the look of your Deathwatch! You have a very cool army coming together. I think i actually prefer the converted Dreadnought arm, and the Veterans and Captain are looking awesome.

Looks like you drybrush grey, and then wash with black to get the armour? Short and sweet.

How did the 1750 game go? 

Yes that the technique, spray black, dry blush skavenblight dinge then stormvermin and follow up with nuln oil wash. 

The game went very well in terms of victory, but not a great game. Played DA. He had a block of stuff centred around a dark shroud for the -1 to hit. He had a redemptor dreadnought amoungst that, which i saw as the primary threat for turn one and focused my fire on it. I destroyed it and it exploded, and the six to explode was the start of a lot of fives and sixes which saw chief librarian ezekiel and a chapter ancient dead, the company master down to one wound, Primaris lieutenant done to three, darkshoud lost five wounds and three hellblasters died. This was after a super smite had zapped an enitre unit  of scouts. After that it was a clear up operation and over by the top of turn three with a tabling. Didn't learn much, except that the watchmaster re rolls with the shooting castle really works if there aren't to many targets. It really makes the difference, even with -1 to hit.  

Had a busy weekend so not done as much as i'd wanted. Ive only managed to get 5 storm bolter armed marines and a JP librarian about half way done. Black and silver finished. I did manage to get a large terrain piece for my mining world set done so did finish something

Any way to keep the flow going, here are some pictures of the original squad I had done up close, and the librarian on foot. In game these guys go in the rhino to get up close. Advance the first turn and pop smoke. Get out and frag cannon something turn two. If they get charged they have amazing over watch firepower with 4D6 hits from frag cannon and 3D6 for shotguns, all auto hitting.

yOSpucs.jpg

Watch sergeant Maodes Karib (Later Captain of Raptors 5th Co.)

B8XQXY3.jpg

bXZcM3K.jpg

Veteran - Salamader

oray3pW.jpg

xQaQEIJ.jpg

Veteran - Crimson Fist

zE1Opjz.jpg

O1AlSx0.jpg

Veteran - White Scar

lGRJXud.jpg

OkuWNQ7.jpg

Veteran - Ravenguard

gcPxaAm.jpg

ebqWww4.jpg

Librarian - Exorcists

NhFpdDB.jpg

neaR0wX.jpg

He's a really old metal 3rd Ed model and is really small compared to the new, tall DW plastics. 

He gets Null Zone and might of Ancients for his powers. 

20/38

You are making me jealous at how fast and well you can pump these out. I still have all my 4th edition metal figures. Gave the shop owner a laugh when I took it in to compare sizes, especially with the paint job.

Thanks Black knight and Bjorn. 

Just to make you a little more jealous Black Knight I did a bit of work today and finished off a JP librarian. He isn't in my 1500pts list , but I had the model so did it. Its another 3rd Ed Metal one. 
I also have completed and inked all the base colours on half of the storm bolter squad. They are packed up for a game tonight. I'll let you know how that goes.

Librarian with Jump Pack
IaVdAsV.jpg
XC3lEr8.jpg

Up date again tomorrow with battle report and, hopefully, another five veterans done. 

21/38

Archived