Cult of the Coiling dragon (Genestealer Cult story)

Shinros

Shorter chapter for now, the next one will be longer. 

“As I looked into its dead black eyes, I saw the terrible sentience it had in place of a soul. Behind that was the steel will of its leader, Further still, I could feel its primogenitor coldly assessing me from the void. And looking back from the deepest recesses of the alien's mind, I perceived what I can describe only as an immortal hunger.

We can slay the Tyranids on our worlds, blast their fleets from space, grind their armies to torn and ruined fragments. But their hunger? That is beyond our ability to slay.”

-Varro Tigurius Ultramarine Chief Librarian

Part 2 Vindication 

Chapter 12 

Ykran sat on the bench, he stared at those shuffling along to service. Since the passing of Cardinal Gerald Ak-Ynath was now the head of the church of Primus Alpha, since then the main temple has been moved to the upper hive. Being here, sitting in fresh air was strange to him still, but in the end his half-brother is master of the whole sub-sector after becoming Cardinal for that propelled their faith forward. All have been converted, every person who walks at this very moment shares in the blood of the star father. The Speaker is confident that everything is under control, but he knows that isn’t the case for it was he wouldn’t have been born.

He remembers when he met Ak-Ynath all those years ago, he was only nine during that time he was filled with awe, wonder even. But after enduring ten years of training from his grandmother Xothoa and his grandfather Vha-Zatha he was fully aware of the danger that may come. One day they will be attacked, it could be in a minute or even a hour, someone will come and seek to end them.

He moved his third arm hidden under his jacket, he no longer had to hide it due to those who handle the security cameras and information gathering have been converted. If they desire it, their church could blackout the whole sub-sector if necessary. But he had his reasons why he keeps it hidden, for him it’s a form of practice to surprise an enemy, no one will suspect an opponent to lash out with an extra limb. His talons can even tear through ceramite with ease. He dreams of the day of facing an adeptus astartes, to prove that the blood of the Coiling Dragon is superior to that of a space marine. 

He knows of the theories that the emperor’s light is drawing in the star children, he hoped it to be true for if it was that would mean they are the emperor’s true warriors. An irony he would enjoy greatly. 

Ykran continued to stare until someone in red robes left the crowd, she wore the bronze and brass icons of their faith, for gold is the mark of hubris. She was without hair like him, her skin held a mauve tone and her claws were painted in the same colour as the icons of their church. She sat next to him smiling ear to ear “you always sit here. Brooding as always?” She did not need to ask such a thing, through the brood mind they could roughly sense what another feels. But the fact she is a Magus he found such questions annoying since she has a greater sensitivity to the brood mind compared to others who do not bare psychic gifts.

“What is it Tan-Kytha?” “Ak-Ynath wants you to attend service. He feels you are neglecting your duties as a Primus.” Her words caused him to laugh, he could tell she was not amused. It’s evident to him through the pulses of annoyance in the brood mind that she would rather be doing something else. “I am doing my duty, those who are not attending service are running drills and keeping their eyes locked to auspex readings.” “He knows that. He is talking about being an example.” “Example to what? Your role is to be the example, you guide the flock and reassure them. My role is..” he clenched his clawed hand “To Fight. To prepare us for war.” 

Tan-Kytha frowned slightly “who would dare attack us? We are even starting to expand to the other sub-sectors. At the moment the Star Dragon is doing it’s routine jumps, so the star children will not come to us any time soon.” As she mentioned the routine jumps he smiled slightly, something so simple can throw off the great Coiling Dragon. The star father is a beacon of sorts, but if said beacon moves around rapidly the star children’s fleets are drawn to other systems or go in the complete wrong direction. This causes the Narvhal’s, the star children’s bio-ship that handles faster than light travel to waste the corridors they generate. Since after use the star children’s fleet can only move at conventional propulsion speeds. 

He wondered how his grandmother came up with such an idea, due to this they can expand their faith to a grand size. The maneuver slows the star children down by years or decades, perhaps even more depending where the supposed fleet ends up. It’s why the Star Father never leaves the ship. 

Once the galaxy bears their blood they can stop the practice and allow the Coiling Dragon to do its work of cleansing the galaxy of darkness. But such a thing is a far way off, he might be dead by the time such a day comes. “What of the minions of darkness?” “We will know if they were among us.” the Magus said firmly “How sure are you? The great enemy can sneak it’s followers onto our world and hide in the crevices of the underhive.” “The Iconward and his siblings is handling that, my grandfather is quite thorough.” At the mention of Athoth he smirked, he liked his cousin. He is diligent and determined like him. He is akin to a hawk watching for anything that moves out of place. 

He wished more of his brothers and sisters were like him. Ykran bought his eyes to the Magus “How is your grandmother Tsatha?” She rolled her eyes slightly “those two are stuck together like glue, absolutely smitten with each other. They even hunt heretics together. She should be more like my mother and rear more children. She has no idea how...lucky she is.” He frowned, he shouldn’t of went there. Since she is of the fourth constellation all of her children are of the purestrain, they are taken away at birth by those in red robes. 

He has no idea where, but when he asked his grandmother she told him that they are being used for a great purpose. At the moment only authorised purestrain on-world. At most they number only ten, ten are devastating in a battle but he could see why mothers would be distraught to have their children taken away. “Hmm, still not talking?” “Yes we aren’t talking but I know she cares for me. Same goes for my grandfather. I always know that due to the blessed brood mind.”

Ykran rubbed his neck, he grimaced slightly and rose from his seat. “I will go to the service...my dear niece.” She frowned at him “don’t call me that.” He gave a small laugh as he walked away, some might call their family strange but it’s his family, a family that he will protect to his dying breath. 

The smell of incense filled his nostrils, his eyes are closed he sat crossed legged within his chambers. The fingers and tongues belonging to the followers of the false emperor burned in the brazier. He drew the smoke in, drawing it in deeply for he desired guidance from the gods. As Dark Apostle of the Golden Skull host he had to direct his congregation, to find the path that aligns closest to the will of the powers. 

Then suddenly the smell of brimstone and holy corruption vanished, the air was now dense, heavy even. He opened his eyes to find himself on a desolate world devoid of life, he got to his feet and looked down. The ground itself was drained of all colour, there was an absent feeling turning in his gut, that this all felt...wrong. He looked up to see the countless stars of the galaxy “what are you trying to show me?” The stars shifted and came together to show a world teeming with life, he saw flashes of false worship but not to the corpse emperor but to something else entirely. These...infidels were worshipping something far more horrific and wrong. They prayed before a Coiling Dragon, but there was a malign presence gripping it. 

He focused on the statue and what he saw was thousands of tyranids roaring and screeching, swarming over every world in the galaxy. That image vanished, he suddenly found himself in a church service. 

The church itself held bronze symbols of the aquila and brass statues of the Coiling Dragon. Most of the attendees wore white, purple and red robes. Some were bald and just scanning the crowd he could taste or even smell the xeno’s taint. These heretics were praising the alien, if he could murder those in the church he would for such an affront. But now? He knew what he must do. 

He blinked and found himself within his chambers. Flayed skin hanged from his walls and in golden ink the passages of the book of Lorgar were written upon it. “Dark Apostle Arazar…” He found himself standing up right, he turned to his kneeling first acolyte Zydon. His dark red armour was covered in colchsian ritual script, his cape made out of the skin of slaves strangely moved when there was little to no breeze within his chamber. “Zydon I know where we are going next.”

He looked up to him, even though his eyes were opaque he could tell he was eager. “What did you see my lord?” “The alien being worshipped.” Zydon’s face screwed into utter disgust “why would anyone do that? Even the foolish followers of the false emperor would not allow such a thing.” “They have been overtaken. To the untrained eye they appear as simple heretics, but they worship something far worse than the false emperor.” “Inform Coryphaeus Tagon that we are going to Primus Alpha. We will purge the whole sub-sector of this...filth.” He could barely contain himself, he just felt angry that even the followers of the corpse god could allow xeno cultists to overtake them. That just shows how weak they truly are. 

Still the audacity of any human praising the alien was almost unbelievable to him but it will be corrected. He will keep the fools from reducing a grand world ripe for corruption to nothing, all must be under the powers for that is the only way to salvation.  

• 3 months later...

After the forums went down I released two chapters of this story on dakk but due to focusing on my emperor's children fan-fiction on dakka it fell to the wayside. After that I fell ill for over a month and I started to think about a few things, like publishing my own book so I had to make a choice. I decided to focus on my EC fan fiction and the book I was working on. Wrote a few chapters of my own work but felt it was too similar to warhammer in general. So I scrapped the idea and started again to the point I have to redo notes. (Ordered a book on greek mythos) Since I have to work on my notes again which will take some time I felt that now I have a window to go back to the genestealer story. 

Here are the two chapters that are up on dakka. 

Chapter 13
The service was full as always, packed to the brim with people, Ykran stood at the back of the podium, his back was rested on the wall.  He watched Ak-Ynath speak to his brothers and sisters and he had to admit he was good at spreading their faith, ensuring that it remains strong. For if he could not do such things their grandmother and the Star Father would have never made him speaker. But he found it quite vexing that he brushes off the possibility of attack, that at some point an enemy would come to end them. If he had total control he would ensure every able bodied man and woman was part of the militia at least, or receives basic training.

He frowned “he just wants to keep the peace…” he stared at his half-brother’s face. He was now in his prime, he looked young and stern. He also had an aura of power that radiates from his body, it causes his skin to tingle slightly. All he could think of is the battle applications of the Magus, they need more of that power at all costs. 

He sighed, he knew if he approached Ak-Ynath about the subject he would refuse to have the psykers forcibly breed with those of the third constellation. He prefered to have relationships organically develop through that more children will be born. 

The service neared its end, Ak-Ynath spread his arms out. “Let the union begin!” Ykran watched everyone in the church undress and search for partners. He scowled as this happened. Ak-Ynath noticed it and turned to him. “Is something wrong?” “You do this yet you refuse my plan to forcibly breed with psykers.” “The service is a choice brother.” He snorted as the speaker said that. “Then why am I here? Why do you pester me to come here?” “Because you have responsibilities, you are also a leader of our faith. Our brothers and sisters need to see you.” Ykran stood upright “they can see me anytime they want. I have no interest in watching our brothers and sisters fornicate.” “But the union is something to be observed. It’s the cornerstone of our faith. Also brother you are of the third constellation, you could sire many children if you wished.” “I don’t have the time, you know that.” 

His half-brother smirked “how can you say that? After all you desire to force our psykers to have children.” “It would be a sacred duty.” “This is also sacred.” Ak-Ynath pointed at the mass of writhing bodies. “More children are being born for a war that may never come.” “It will come. I can feel it.” “How do you know?” “Because I would have not been born otherwise.” His half-brother looked away, he continued watching the union. “I seek to make our faith prosperous...leave then brother. Be like the misguided ever jumping at their shadows.” Ykran strode up to him, fury washed over his face. He grabbed his half-brother’s robe and twisted him around. “Don’t you dare compare me to them!” Ak-Ynath was calm, he did not look angry. He smiled at him. “I had to make hard choices to build all we have here, I won’t be like them brother. I refuse.” “I seek our security!” “And I seek our prosperity as I told you before.” 

“Why do you fight?” The doors opened, the voice belonged to Saint Tsatha, her carapace armour was red, icons of the coiling dragon dangled from her belt along with a cesner which bellowed out the incense made from the blood of the first constellation. She held her power maul in one hand and a bolt pistol in the other. Yrakn frowned and released his half-brother. Tsatha sheathed her weapons and walked down the aisle with her husband Athoth, he clutched the banner of the Coiling Dragon tightly. Holy Icons, trinkets and other artifacts of power dangled from it.

They walked up to the podium, Tsatha was still beautiful, she looked young and strong. She removed her black gloves, she bore talons like him, this was most likely due to the splicing techniques his grandmother. “I ask again...why do you fight?” He looked away, strangely his half-brother did also. Tsatha walked over to them, she placed her hands on both of their shoulders. Ykran found her touch strange, staring slightly into her yellow eyes he felt...warmth. He found the anger draining away. “I don’t know what Xothoa would say...but both of you are brothers. You share the same blood, instead of forcing your role upon the other instead find a way for them to intermingle.” Ykran grumbled, he had to admit if it wasn’t for the speaker’s efforts they would have never got this large, nor had the ability to walk freely. 

Ykran bought his gaze to his half-brother, he was still looking away. “You may ask for volunteers for your plan...brother.” Ykran blinked in surprise, a strange compromise but one he would take. “Thank you...Speaker.” Tsatha nodded “see how quickly we can agree with one another? This is the strength of our faith...never forget that.” She removed her hands from their shoulders and placed her gloves back on. She then stepped back and gestured to their cousin. “Athoth has something to say.” Athoth took a few paces forward, he hissed while his tongue flicked in and out. “Another base has been destroyed, the renaments of the misguided are like cockroaches. But some have converted” Ak-Ynath faced Athoth “they persist because they still cannot see. They refuse to.” “The issue is the arbites had many hidden bases, each head-enforcer knew of the locations of only a few. Judge Ford eliminated the ones he knew of the issue is the locations of the ones that were known by Gustav and Gloria.” Tsatha said in annoyance. “I can seek them out using my psychic powers.” Ak-Ynath declared. 

The saint shook her head “Ford said there are wards in place preventing such things.” “Then we wait for them to make a move.” Ykran said firmly. Tsatha nodded in agreement “that is all we can do for now.” 

Ykran clenched his hands in annoyance, their enemies are hiding like cowards. But in the end they will make a mistake and they will be there.   

Randall guarded the lift with his fellow arbites, it lead up to the underhive but at times he wonders what are they fighting for? According to scouting reports the heretics control everything. Once Ford became Judge of the world that’s when everything went to hell. All of the arbites were forced to go through a strange joining ceremony where they share a cup of wine. But the higher ranking enforcers clued in to what was happening when all those that did the joining ceremony started praising the Coiling Dragon that was when they went on the run. They committed to plan delta, essentially they are hiding in a bunker of sorts until help arrives or they can fight back somehow. 

It’s getting to the point that everyone is giving up hope. Hope that they can end the heresy on this world. Delmar suddenly grumbled. “Why are we still fighting?” His beard was now thick, it’s been months since had a shave. Randall had to also admit his hygiene was falling to the wayside as well. Due to water rations running low along with the food, sacrifices had to be made. But as leader he had to keep spirits up. “The Emperor wants us to fight. We will not meet his side upon death if you speak that way.” Delmar frowned “save it, I am tired of such talk.” Randall shook his head “We are the emperor’s justice, as long as we live we can mete it out. We can’t give up.” He truly believed that, he had to for he had nothing else. 

But Delmar did not cease, he kept talking. “No one knows who is in charge anymore! We lost! Come on...maybe they aren’t heretics.” The rest of the squad started to fidget. “I mean...they made living better for everyone.” Randall thought to shoot him, but such a thing would ruin morale. “We have all seen the mutants among them right?” Randall declared. “B-Bu-” “No buts, the truth is in front of us. We do our duty to the bitter end.” Delmar eyed the elevator he rushed to it, Randall cursed he raised his autogun and fired. Delmar sprawled onto the lift as bullets riddled his body. 

He croaked several times, his body grew still. Randall shook his head “such a waste...this is what heresy does.”

Zydon watched the cultists being whipped to death while hanging from metal hooks. His brothers shouted the canticle of darkness, their whips cracking onto human flesh with each word. The mortal’s collective suffering should open the way to the remaining followers of the false emperor. From there their work will begin. 

Their ship the Quaking Shadow was just out of sensor range of Primus Alpha, his Dark Apostle was graced with another vision by the powers. There are several underground bases within the underhive, the remnants of the adeptus arbites, the ones who still cling to the emperor live there. Several squads will be teleported to the bases through the ritual of screaming catastrophe, it’s strong enough to break through the bases pathetic wards. 

The other squads are within their own ritual halls, but he has ensured he will be the first, Arazar was the one who gave him the ritual text to be handed out to the others. He made slight alterations, nothing dangerous just enough pointless words to delay his brothers completing the ritual.

As the mortals finally expired, all of them gave a long scream. A small stream of black energy left their mouths. It gathered together to form a portal. Zydon placed his skull helmet on. “Quickly brothers, the portal will not last long.” They all threw aside whips, all of them readied their weapons. Zydon wielded a power sword, the daemon Cath’sha squirmed as his hand wrapped around it. +You will know torment on this world master….+ With each word spoken he could hear the cawing of the ravens. Zydon ignored the daemon, it always predicts his demise in one way or another, he removed his bolt pistol from it’s holster with his other hand. He pointed at the portal with his blade. “Let us go!” 

They advanced through the portal, they arrived in what looks like a command centre. Upon seeing them many of the mortals keeled over and started vomiting, unable to handle the holy words of Lorgar inked upon their armour. Some had some measure of resolve and reached for weapons, it was a foolish display. Zydon raised his bolt pistol and shot all of them in the head before they could even ready their weapons. 

All of the humans before him looked like small children, children that needed guidance. As the portal closed behind him he smiled “Hear the word of chaos...the word of Lorgar…” The mortal’s quivered in fear which was expected and most appropriate response. They stood before demi-gods of war, the chosen sons of chaos. 

Randall hefted Delmar’s corpse with his squad, it was wrapped up in a cover, protocall was that traitors go in the freezer. They advanced down the dim-lit hallway but as they came to a cross-road he heard footsteps, large ones at that. “We are dropping the corpse.” he ordered. They all dropped the corpse unto the ground. “Weapons free.” In a practiced motion they pointed their weapons down the middle path, the footsteps sounded too loud to belong to a normal man. 

Then from the darkness came someone he did not expect to see, it was an astartes in deep red armour. His helmet was stylized into a skull. But as Randall’s eyes moved to the script written on his armour, his belly lurched. Randall voided his bowels on the floor, fear crawled over his body he couldn’t move. The space marine continued to walk towards them, he heard no guns shots either. The only reason that could be the case is if his squad are acting just like him, he could not help but feel scared and helpless. Now that the astartes was in front him, a strange smell filled his nose. 

It was the smell of brimstone mixed with a strange incense. The space marine pointed at him “all of you are dogs, kneel before your betters.” Randall strangely got to his knees, he was too terrified to say no. All he could think of was the stories stating that heretical astartes was a myth, a legend. But he could tell one was before him now and if he did not do as he said he will suffer a fate worse than death. He looked around, he prayed that he was not the only one kneeling. Everyone was on their knees save one, Enforcer Benton, he was the youngest in his squad. The young enforcer screamed and fired his autogun. The bullets did not even pierce the breastplate of the heretic astartes, after Benton emptied his magazine he started panicking and tried to fire his gun, but all he received in return were clicks from an empty weapon. 

The heretic raised his bolt pistol in a casual manner, the muzzle of the weapon flashed and Benton’s head vanished, it shattered. Chunks of meat and brain matter scattered within the hallway. The heretic bought the red eyes of his skull helmet upon them, Randall covered his head. “P-Please don’t kill us!” he blurted out. “I am not here to kill you but to guide you to the truth. Heresy has claimed this world.” At the mention of heresy he looked up in confusion. “W-What?” “The people above worship the alien, my brothers have come to correct that.” Confusion started to set in, the space marine is here to cleanse the planet? Also the heretics above worship the alien? Fear was soon replaced by strangely curiosity. 

He stared into the the astartes flickering eyes, despite the terrifying looking helmet he could sense conviction. He could feel anger radiating from his body, but it’s not directed at him. The space marine swept his sword over them. He spoke in a strange language, the words caused his nose to bleed but strangely he relaxed. He felt a peace, the words sang to his soul. When the astartes finished speaking he shouted “Praise the powers!” Randall felt his mouth moving, he did not realise he was shouting to praise the powers as well. 

But if it felt normal, it felt right. 

Chapter 14

Arazar stared at the hololith of the planet they are invading, the command bridge was bustling with movement, preparing for the full invasion of Primus Alpha. The Quacking Shadow shuddered, he could feel the boots of the faithful marching to the carriers, the Children Of The Dark Flame will be the first to shed the blood the heretic. Even if they are mortal their faith is strong he had to admit it was a shame that a few of them were too old to be made into astartes. The shipmaster Telvisha folded her arms “is it true my lord?” he looked back to her, half of her face was covered in the word of lorgar. Her eyes shone with a red light.   

Arazar gave a weak smile “it is true, they bow to xenos, the alien. They serve the great devourer.” “How can anyone serve the Tyranids? They devour everything in their path don’t they?” “You are correct, but never underestimate the weak of heart and mind. It’s why we seek to usher in the truth to the galaxy. Purging this...filith is part of that.” The shipmaster bowed her head to him. “As you say Dark Apostle.” The door of the command bridge opened, he turned to the door to see it’s Tagon. His armour was adorned with passages of the book of lorgar, his teeth were fangs and constantly it looks like he is snarling. He flexed his power claws, all of the mortals on the bridge bought their eyes to their respective work. 

None of them dared to meet the terminator’s and his Coryphaeus’s gaze. “Why are you with the mortals?” Tagon asked. “I just wanted to make sure the assault goes smoothly, I desired to ensure that all are aware of what we are about to do.” Arazar said in a flat tone.Tagon dislikes when he infringes on his supposed tasks, but he knows if his brother has full reign more people would end up dead since they do not meet his standards. But he respects his authority as he is meant to, if he deems something is running well Tagon won’t interfere. “Zydon and those sent to convert the bases are ready.” he removed a dark red gem from his utility pouch. “I use this to keep in contact with him. The mortals were largely broken already, it seems that the heretics outmanoeuvred them. But there is one piece of interesting information.” “What?” “The cult uses mutants.” Tagon furrowed his brow “what does it matter? They are misguided, their mutations random and without direction.” Arazar shook his head “no, according to the dogs these mutants look more akin to the tyranids. So maybe the population is splicing their DNA with the alien.” 

His Coryphaeus spat on the ground, the acid caused the metal to sizzle. “I am going now. I am calling for the assault. The people of this planet...this whole sub-sector must be rendered extinct.”He knew he would react that way, Arazar felt it’s always better to stoke the fires of his brothers hearts. “I will let Zydon know to begin his part of the assault.” “Hmph...it won’t be necessary, even if they bow to heresy they are still mortal.” Tagon strode out of the room, Arazar placed the gem back into his pouch. 

Thinking on his words he had to partly agree with Tagon, despite their heresy they are still mortal. The first assault along with Zydon’s forces should be enough. He bought his eyes back to the hololith. He can’t wait to see the planet burn. 

Ykran walked with Athoth, his wife had business to take care of within the fortress precinct hence why she is not with them. 

They both agreed it would be good to patrol the underhive, they walked with a squad of acolyte hybrids and neophyte hybrids of the 11th brotherhood. Even though he was watching for danger he had to admit the changes wrought on the underhive was impressive. The roads were clean, buildings stood tall and strong, also there were host of market stands lining the roads. “He did all of this…” Ykran said in a low tone. “He did, it was not easy.” said Athoth. “We had to kill many, deceive many to get to this point.” His cousin grinned showing his fangs “I enjoyed the killing part.” “I am sure you did but according to Ak-Ynath we live in a time of prosperity and peace.” “War is constant…” Athoth hissed. 

Ykran nodded in agreement “but you often take his side cousin.” “Because war has not come yet Primus.” He chuckled as he said that, being of the second constellation things must be so simple for his cousin. When they are at peace he defaults to his half-brother, when it’s time of war he will take his side. But he wondered why does he argue with Ak-Ynath? The brood mind should help him understand him better. But it doesn’t, he knows how he feels roughly but his reaction to those emotions are strange. 

His grandmother told him the brood brothers and sisters along with the third and fourth constellation serve the cult and the Star father. But they are not slaves like those of the first or second constellation, they have room to disagree to form their own ideas and plans. But he felt such things leads to discord than harmony. If war comes they have to be of one mind, of one will. 

He grumbled slightly, but then he heard a shuddering sound. A large section of the road started to rise. Ykran furrowed his brow “weapons free.” he ordered. His forces pointed their guns at the the rising piece of road. Right away he could tell it was a lift, but what was on it caused him to curse. 

Misguided streamed out, but their bodies was covered in icons of the dark powers. Strange script trailed down their faces. Athoth hissed “heretics!” He slammed the haft of his banner on the ground, a purple light left the red threads and washed over them. The cultists charged at them, shouting for the foul powers and for the Word Bearers. “Open fire!” Ykran roared out. 

The first few muzzle flashes caused stalls to be abandoned, mothers picked up their children and ran to the elevators heading to the upper levels. Ykran prepared for this, everyone knew what to do. Neophyte hybrids screamed out for the Coiling dragon, their autoguns dropping the cultists, but they were a tide, a whole ocean of them. Ykran drew his bone sword and needle pistol, he charged forward with the hybrids.

Racing down the road he could smell their taint, their...otherness. The worn down arbite uniforms also held golden badges it was shaped into the face of a snarling daemon head, it was surrounded by flames. When he saw that symbol he grinned in excitement “astartes…” the ones before him are chaff, there to soak bullets to test the mettle of their opponents.  

They crashed into the cultists, Ykran moved his blade through the air, he severed the head of the first of the misguided. He then fired his needle pistol, the heretic he hit grasped his neck, he then started gasping for air. The needles were filled with virulent toxins, being hit with a needle would not cause any pain but the poisons that enter the system? He smiled as the heretic’s veins turned green, his eyes melted out of his sockets he then fell to the floor with a thud. 

Ykran then twisted around to slash another of the misguided, his bone sword drained their vitality, the grazes he received so far closed in an instant, along with the blessing of the banner it warded away several gunshots. He steadily advanced while tearing the heretics apart with the hybrids. 

While severing another head he could hear the lift lowering and then rising again, he flicked towards it. Instead of weak heretics, he saw monsters of war and destruction. They stepped out of the lift, they wielded bolters the size of half a man’s body, their crimson armour was covered in the same heretical dialect as the arbites. Ykran was beside himself, finally he has a chance.

The leader of the astartes squad bellowed out a rage filled curse. “Kill the heretics! Offer their blood and souls to the powers!” The remaining humans echoed the astartes shout, their assault doubled, but the heretics appearing in such a fashion also spurred them on. Ykran did not need to shout or give the order. The brood mind gave all of them the ability to feel his intentions, to know what he desired to do next, so the din of battle did not distract any of them. 

In a clockwork motion, the neophytes holding webbers aimed at the astartes, they fired, unleashing the net upon them. The sticky substance wrapped around the whole squad. They struggled for release but he knew it would not hold them long. Ykran used the opportunity to advance towards the astartes with the hybrids, the supporting fire from autoguns opened a gap they could use.

He charged through with the hybrids, now approaching the astartes they were now freeing themselves. Ykran aimed for the leader, he was not wearing a helmet. The other hybrids hissed and jumped onto the heretical astartes in two and threes, dragging them down. The leader howled in rage and charged him, chainsword in hand. His bone sword clashed with the weapon, the strength of the blow caused their weapons to bounce back. 

The astartes grunted in annoyance “you stink of xeno flith.” “The coiling dragon gives me strength minion of darkness, the blood that courses through my veins is a blessing one that is denied to you forever.” They bought their weapons together again, the chainsword sparked on his bone sword as it’s teeth tried to tear into the weapon. “Your disgusting weapon will not break this blade either, it comes from the holy Star Father.” He could see by the eyes of the astartes he was surprised with his strength, he expected another mortal to stomp and cast aside. 

He guesses that the invasion force truly do not understand who they are attacking. Ykran smiled, his third arm tore through his cloak and planted itself into the astartes side, he did not scream he merely winced. Right now his talons was digging into his body, he grasped his secondary heart and tore it out. Blood erupted from the mouth of the heretic “Did not expect that did you?” Ykran said in amusement. “I doubt you will expect this either.” He spat on his face, the heretic reared back covering his eyes, freeing them from their blade lock. 

Ykran used the opportunity to move in and stab the space marine with his bone sword, he drained the vitality from his enemy, the marine removed his hands from his face, his visage was that of a husk. The fat was drained away, the nutrients, everything his body needed to function. Ykran removed his blade, the heretic collapsed on himself due to his body unable to handle it’s weight. 

His eyes moved to the hybrids who were tearing out the throats of the rest of the squad with claws and fangs. He smiled “we are the first...but more will die this day.” He bought his gaze to the humans who foolishly bended to the astartes, some were dropping to their knees in surrender. Athoth eyed him from the other side of the battle, he was standing with the neophytes. His cousin wanted to kill them, he could feel it so he would oblige him. Unlike Ak-Ynath he is in no mood to spare his enemies, the misguided had their chance and they chose to side with darkness. He pointed at them, the hybrids left the astartes corpses and ran towards the heretics, some started to run, others prayed to their foul gods, but they should know that no one will come to save them. 

This is their end and he will gladly mete it out. 

Small note, I noticed my mistake in calling First Acolyte Zydon, Zygon. That has been corrected and now here is chapter 15, I hope people like it. 

Chapter 15
Zydon looked up as the lift took his squad upwards, the dogs have been sent in first as was their place. Cath’Sha then started to whisper to him, he tried not to scowl but there was nothing he could do to silence him. He gripped the handle of his sword tightly +The patriarch will devour you...it’s tendrils sleek through the stars.+ As with all it’s portents of doom he ignored the daemon, it was a tool not a prophet. 

The elevator then shuddered as it reached the top, the sounds of warfare washed over him. He bought his eyes down and took a deep breath and then exhaled. The road ahead of him was clogged with bodies, the dogs were charging at the mortals who bear false faith. Weapons clashed, bullets flew through the air. 

He focused on the infidels, the heretics who praise the alien. As he stepped forth with his squad, the dogs cheered for him and praised the powers. The heretics in turn aimed their weapons at him yelling for their false god. “For the coiling dragon!” They barked. Zydon charged, he said nothing for they were not worthy opponents, the heretics were simple refuse that stained this world. The dogs made way for him, the heretics shifted their aim to his squad. Their autoguns flashed and bullets rattled on his armour, Zydon raised his bolt pistol and fired, heads exploded with a shower of gore and brain matter. As he hit close combat he and his squad hacked and slashed with clean efficiency, Cath’Sha left small trails of blue fire with each sword swing. +The great father will descend and tear out the hea-+ “Be silent!” Zydon hissed. The daemon’s voice grew quiet, he then split the head of the last heretic. 

The din of battle ebbed away, he stood over several corpses. “This is just start.” he said with a measure of reverence. “First acolyte take a look at this…” Heroz, a member of his squad, severed the arm of a dead heretic with his combat knife. He held the arm up and pointed at it with his blade. It was covered with a strange chitin “This looks like tyranid carapace.” Several of the corpses held a similar affliction. 

Zydon walked up to Heroz, he examined the arm. “This was not done by the powers…” At first he thought they were simple mutants, their blessings random and without the direction of the gods. This was something else entirely, but the alien has no power to warp flesh in such a fashion, the alien was below the gods themselves. “This planet must be purged…” said Heroz, venom was lining his voice. “Cast the arm aside, it does not matter who changed them but this truly shows the city is lost.” Zydon ordered. Heroz nodded as he threw the arm aside “as you say first acolyte.”

Zydon then examined the squad names of those were sent as the vanguard, their identifiers trailed down his autosenses, but one name was flashing red. The Blades of corruption. “It seems a squad has fallen.” he said out loud. “Then they were weak.” Zydon turned to Sirus, his helmet was golden and the word of Lorgar covered his breastplate. “Indeed they were to fall to heretics.” Zydon declared. He blinked their name away. He then faced the dogs, they were looking at him with awe. “Forward dogs! Take back Primus Alpha! For the powers!” They cheered and echoed his cry for the four corners, they charged onward into the underhive.  

Ak-Ynath stood at the entrance of the grand temple, he looked up to the skies, thunderhawks were sweeping across them. His people were running for their lives. “He was right…” He shook his head “we have to fight...there is no other choice.” He narrowed his eyes at the thunderhawks, considering there were so many and he has not seen any hint of drop pods he guessed that they might hold terminators. His grandmother has told him of their might in great detail, especially those of the great enemy. “Speaker!” He bought his eyes down, Tan-Kytha was running up the grand steps towards him, she was clutching her staff tightly. 

Ak-Ynath met her half-way she stopped before him, she was panting heavily. “Space marines are attacking us! The underhive is also swarming with them!” “I know, go and gather the brotherhoods. I must ready the purestrains and som-” A great roaring sound greeted his ears cutting him off, Tan-Kytha turned and a few metres from the stairs a thunderhawk was landing. The bay doors opened and what he saw were misguided streaming out. Their faces and arms were covered in macabre text, icons of the great enemy dangled from their necks.

They rushed to the foot of the stairs and pointed their autoguns at them. Tan-Kytha’s eyes took a purple hue, she ground her teeth as her staff sparked with licks of warp energy. “They sully this world I will destr-” “No, they do not deserve anger...only pity.” He walked down the steps while making a gesture to raise a psychic shield as he did so the misguided started to fire at him. 

The bullets sparked upon his shield, it took barely any effort to maintain it. He walked slowly to the bottom of the stairs as he got there they stopped firing. He assumed they understood that it was futile to try and harm him. 

Ak-Ynath stood before the supposed leader of this group. His hair was dirty, scars lined his face and he looked emaciated. Ak-Ynath offered his hand “I can save you from your cruel masters. But I can’t force you, I will forgive you if you let me.” The cultist leader looked at his hand in confusion, and then up to him. “W-What?” “You are lost, wandering the dark alone. All of you are.” His eyes moved around to each face in the group. The confusion has gripped all of them. “So tell me...what did your cruel taskmasters tell you about us? We are beings that need to be destroyed? We are tainted? Or perhaps you were just whipped and forced onto the ship?” He could see a few of their weapons lowering, they now looked unsure. But that was only for a moment, the cultist leader pointed his weapon at him again, his face twisted into the picture of pure disdain. “My masters told me you would seek to break our faith, we steeled ourselves in the four rites, we are guided by the powers!” He fired his gun, Ak-Ynath’s psychic shield flickered as the bullet hit it. 

Ak-Ynath gave a wistful sigh “very well…if that is your decision.” He uttered a word of power and command. He forced his way into their minds and in reaction to the intrusion the misguided gripped their heads in pain. “Death it is…” he said with a measure of sadness. He lowered his psychic shield and turned away and started to walk up the steps. 

As he took the first two he started hear gunshots and gurgled death screams, the sound of bodies thudding onto the floor also he graced his ears. As he reached Tan-Kytha she was smiling in satisfaction. “You made them kill themselves.” Ak-Ynath could hear some measure of joy in her tone, he could also sense it through the broodmind. He frowned at her “what did I just say before I went to talk to them?” The smile vanished she bowed her head. “They deserve only our pity.” she intoned. 

Ak-Ynath nodded “now go, summon our brothers and sisters to defend what is ours. I will prepare the purestrains along with another special force.” Tan-Kytha said nothing, she hurried away without another word. He then sighed and faced the temple doors. “I must head to the basement.” He began to hurry up the steps to the temple. “The invasion needs to be ended quickly, we cannot give the enemy any advantage.” he said firmly. 

Tagon stepped down the landing bay of the thunderhawk with his Anointed. Each of the Anointed was an elite warrior, a bringer of death and destruction. “It is time to begin the purge!” he shouted. The Anointed readied their stormbolters, Tagon activated the power fields around his claws. They broke into a jog down the road as the landing bay behind them closed. 

Right away as they ran down the streets he saw shrines and great icons of the heretic’s false god. “Destroy them!” he barked. The anointed pointed their stormbolters at any statue or shrine they passed. The bolter shells rocked the false idols and with but a few shots they collapsed upon themselves. As they were soon approaching a corner Tagon caught the sound of a truck, along with the shouts of heretics. “Hold.” he ordered. 

He ground to a stop with the Anointed, the sound was coming closer and closer until a vehicle came around the bend. The truck was grey and looked like it was mainly used for mining tunnels but what was mounted upon it caused Tagon to shout another order. “Open fire!” The infidels upon the vehicle screamed out to their own false god, but instead of using the mounted guns the wheels of the vehicle skidded on the road as the lumbering machine shot down the road. 

Tagon cursed “move aside quickly!” The terminator plate slowed them down but all of them were quick enough to get to the pavements save one. The vehicle crashed into one of the anointed, the terminator was grasping the front of the truck but that soon ended as the one mounting the gun pulled out a bolt pistol and fired into his head several times. The ceramite gave way, the helmet was now full of holes and with that his grip loosened. Tagon watched as the truck bucked upwards as the anointed slid under it.  

As the wheels of the vehicle hit the ground the truck twisted to face them. The heretics were grinning with glee. Seeing that Tagon ground his teeth with fury “they seek to shame me?” he growled. He stepped back onto the road, the Anointed tried to move from their position but he gestured them back. “No, they seek to make fools of us...I will show them otherwise…”  

He faced the turck and gestured towards himself “come! I will show you why I am Corypheus of the Golden Skull host!” The heretics gave another laugh as they repeated what they did before, the corpse of the dead anointed was swatted aside by the truck as it raced towards him. 

Tagon readied his claws and as the truck came to hit him. He sunk his claws into the front of the truck and heaved it upwards flipping the vehicle. As it crashed onto it’s back those who were sitting in the back and the gunner who killed the terminator was crushed. 

Tagon smiled in satisfaction seeing this, but that satisfaction turned to joy as the truck driver kicked the door out, Tagon strode over to him. As he was crawling out Tagon stabbed his right claw into the infidel’s back and hefted him up causing the heretic to scream in agony. He then planted his second claw into his back and tore the unbeliever in half. 

As his body came apart he scowled “to think one of the Anointed was killed by you…” he spat on the truck causing the metal to sizzle slightly. He then faced his Anointed “we must continue the purge.” They all gave curt nods and fell in behind him. 

Then in a methodical fashion they advanced down the road and continued to bring utter destruction to the heretic’s false faith.    

Chapter 16

Ykran panted as he ran towards the elevator with his squad, he could feel the psychic call of Tan-Kytha through the brood mind. In any other circumstance he would ignore it but there was a problem. Across the underhive their forces are being pushed back, he has only won one battle but overall they are steadily losing the war. He could even feel the various brotherhoods being overrun by the chaos forces across the underhive. Going to the plaza would be the best course of action. “Also they seek to ruin our temples…” he whispered to himself. The call also described the destruction being committed upon the upper section of the hive city. It angered him, he also hoped since Tan-Kytha was making the call that means his brother is actually doing something useful. 

As they approached the elevator Athoth growled. “We should be fighting...I wish to tear out the throats of the enemy.” The yellow eyes of his fellow acolyte hybrids glinted with murderlust as well. He shook his head to his cousin’s suggestion. “No, we will be in a better position to drive them off on the upper levels. I also suspect they seek to push us towards there as well.” Athoth cocked his head slightly in confusion “They must also see that the upper hive is most defended. Why allow us to reinforce it?” Ykran smiled to his question, he barely had to think of the reason why. “They underestimate us, the heretics also wish to make a show of our destruction to please their false gods.” Athoth gave a low hiss in return to his words. “Then they are fools.” 

Everyone around him nodded in agreement to what his cousin just said, it was good that his fellow brothers and sisters were confident, but as war leader he has to keep them focused. “They may underestimate us but we will not underestimate them. The heretics may have a few tricks up their sleeves, so be ready.” The neophyte and acolyte hybrids clutched their weapons, that was the reaction he wanted. Ykran desired to sharpen their minds, to keep them from dreaming of victory too soon.

Now standing in front of the elevator he pressed the button to call it down. He turned and narrowed his eyes at them. “Be ready, we are heading into the storm.” he said firmly. 

Randall watched the demi-gods beginning to execute the captured heretics, he understood his lord to be Zydon, first acolyte of the Golden Skulls. They were all gathered in a circle around the champion and his fellow demi-gods. He pulled the hair of a man and showed them all his tormented face. “These people are worse than dogs, they are refuse clinging to one’s boot. Instead of worshipping the false emperor, they bow to xenos. The former can be shown the correct path, the latter?” He hefted the man up slightly higher and stabbed him in the chest with his glowing blade. 

The heretic squirmed on the weapon, screaming for his life and the false deity they served. Randall watched his skin turn pale, his skin began to hang on bone like something was draining him of his vitality. Once he stopped moving, he simply slid of the blade. As the heretic hit the ground a wet thud greeted his ears. 

Randall watched all of this and he kept asking himself the same questions. How did they lose in the first place? How could they have been taken over so easily? These questions kept repeating in his mind until Zydon’s gaze fell upon him, like he somehow knew what he was thinking. “It’s quite simple why you lost, none of the population was bent to the true faith. Human weakness is the reason why you lost. I imagine these heretics approached as some sort of charity.” He gestured to bring the next heretic, the demi-gods dragged another man to the first acolyte and set him down between his boot. The space marines held the heretic down, but instead of fear lining the face of the man he saw grim determination. “These heretics thrive on human weakness!” the heretic barked. Randall thought Zydon would crush his head right away for letting him say such a thing but he held it place. The heretic continued screeching. “Fight back! We made you glorious for the coiling dragon! These monsters seek to turn you into dogs to be beaten and whi-” Before he could finish the first acolyte’s bought up his boot, it then came crashing down, crushing the skull of the heathen. 

Zydon then sighed, “Heroz check his arm.” The space marine nodded and lifted up part of his overalls which covered the heretic’s arm. Randall winced as he saw dark blue chiten. Zydon then nodded and removed his foot from the heathen’s head area, Randall could see sticky brain matter clinging to his boot. Heroz rose from the corpse shaking his head “so many are like this.” Zydon said nothing he reached down and tore the arm off the dead heretic, he walked around the circle. “Look at this!” he shouted. 

Many knew that they were mutants, Randall understood this as well but he realised the first acolyte sought to make a point. Zydon continued to shout shoving the arm in people’s faces who were wincing back in disgust as the limb came close to them. “They mingle with the alien! All of you failed because your imperial masters cannot instill hate into you properly! These...creatures took over because they appealed to people’s base humanity! Hatred is the only answer! Hate the infidel! Hate the heretic!” As Zydon reached him he stopped and looked down to him. “You lost because the pathetic priests of the false emperor never understood true faith or true hatred. To the powers hatred is a core truth. Keep this lesson close to your heart.” He threw the arm aside and pointed onward. “Now head to the upper levels! Go!” It barely took a moment for him to move, as they started to run everyone chanted what Zydon just told them. “Hate the heretic! Hate the infidel! For the powers!” The chant was deafening, soon enough he was caught up in it as well. 

Zydon watched the dog’s charge onward he smiled “they might soak a few bullets for us.” Heroz nodded in agreement. “Indeed they will First Acolyte, but shouldn’t we get moving as well?” 

His brother was right but first he rubbed his boot across the ground trying to rid it of the brain matter. Stomping on the creature’s head filled him with disgust. The desire to annihilate the populace was all consuming, the taint of the alien even runs through the veins of the mortal’s on this world. Once he was satisfied he smiled “you are correct Heroz but first…” He pulled out a dark red gem from his pouch, he spoke the sacred words to activate it. 

In but a few seconds balefire sprang from the stone and formed the visage of the Dark Apostle. He seemed to be armed and ready for war. “The underhive is clear Dark Apostle, the dogs are moving forward.” “Good.” he responded. “The heretic forces are falling back as expected and Tagon is wreaking havoc upon their false temples. All of our enemies will be gathered in one place, there we will show them the power the gods. Go to the upper hive and make your way to the plaza. Our enemies are gathering there.” Zydon gave a curt nod to his instructions, but he had something else to say. “Is it possible for humans to somehow mix with the tyranid species? I don’t know of any technology that can do this.” Arazar sighed “don’t dwell on such questions, if they have done such a thing it makes their heresy far worse. Focus on purging them.” 

Zydon inclined his head to the image “apologies, I let my thoughts wander.” “You are forgiven, now you have your orders.” The fire ebbed away, once it was gone he placed the gem back into his pouch. “Right we are moving, on me.” His squad gave an acknowledgement, they jogged after the dogs but kept a respectable distance, as Heroz said the gods need to soak the first set of bullets.

Ak-Ynath walked through the tunnels, they were lit with braziers that burned purple. These passageways were created under his orders to protect and hide a specific set of children. The first set only numbered about ten or so, his grandmother tends to collect them each time she visits Primus Alpha, but the second set of children might easily turn the tide of battle. These groups were not exactly children, but they were taken when they were just babes. 

He took a turn and now he stood in front of his destination, he walked towards a set of large double steel doors. He then sat down cross-legged and started the ritual to open the psychic lock. As he summoned the psychic energy he felt a pulse within the brood mind and after that came a voice, it was faint but familiar. +I am coming my child.+ That single sentence caused his heart to quicken, but he had to focus on opening the locks. One by one he heard a click, he has done this many times to make sure those within are safe but the voice distracted him. He could not contain his excitement. Ak-Ynath took steady breaths to control his emotions and as the final lock clicked, his eyes slid open. 

He stood upright and walked into the chamber, it was dimly lit with the same braizers that lined the hallways. He could hear hissing and scratching in the shadows, he smiled and made his way to the middle of the hall. +Blessed Children! Please come heather!+ The psychic call caused the scratching to stop, from the shadows ten purestrain genestealers strode up to him. They sniffed his robes, Ak-Ynath in return stroked the head of one of the genestealers. “I do not wish to put you in harms way..But..Wait..Where are the rest?” The genestealer he was stroking looked back and that's when he heard heavy footsteps. Next to come out of the shadows were lumbering behemoths holding power hammers and picks, they were all multi-limbed and hands ended in claws. As they set their eyes upon him they ran towards him, the largest among them came forward and inclined his head. “M-M-Magus…” he slurred. 

He did not want to call them dull witted, but the aberrant's could not function in society so he had them hidden away. Another factor was the fact since they can’t hide and they bore so many blessed traits he did not want to risk the imperium finding out despite the fact they control the flow of information. 

Ak-Ynath placed a finger on his temple and sent forth images of their enemy to their minds. Every single aberrant howled in anger and fury. The genestealers can easily be directed through the brood mind but he wanted the aberrant's to at least understand what they faced, what it would mean if they lose. 

Once he was done he lowered his finger, the great behemoths relaxed and then started snarling. “Enemy! Enemy! Kill! Kill!” All of them kept chanting those words together. He smiled seeing this because the heretics think that they are simple mortals to be killed, he will prove them wrong.

Chapter 17

Arazar could see the heretics are gathering in the plaza, the hololith on the bridge showed the purple dots moving through the the upper portion of the hive. That area will be a kill-zone they will fall all around them and eliminate their forces in one go. He placed his helmet on, since as Dark Apostle he has to be there for the end as was proper. He turned to Telvisha “watch for enemy ships, I am going to the world we are striking the final blow.” The captain nodded “may the four watch you my lord.” He smiled at her, the captain’s faith radiates like a sun. “And you as well captain.” He briskly walked from the bridge, now the yearning to destroy than preach started to crawl into his body. 

He wanted to see their false faith fall and he will gladly see it done. 

Ykran ran down the street, weapons barked as they encountered heretics. The heretics were simple ramble, there to soak bullets and he detested wasting resources on them. But they were almost there, they made twist and turns and eventually they arrived at the plaza. Their forces were gathered in great number along with two goliath trucks. He strode over to Tan-Kytha, she was directing the brotherhoods to defensive positions. “So where is Ykran?” he asked. 

The Magus frowned at him “he went into the church, he is most likely gathering the genestealers.” “Ah...they would help.” he said with a small measure of joy. But he bought his eyes to the defences, they had to defend three streets. He then took a small look at their forces just by a glance he knew it wasn’t enough. He ground his teeth, they would of had more soldiers if they followed his breeding program. In the end that does not matter now, it’s better to focus on the present. “So we wait...” Tan-Kytha nodded “that’s all we can do.” 

He tried to relax, to dismiss unwanted thoughts. He took a deep breath. “I will direct our brothers and sisters on the middle street. You will take the left and…” He faced his cousin. “The right is yours Athoth.” The Iconward grinned. “We will kill many.” “Indeed we shall.” he responded. “Now to your positions.” They said nothing more for if they do not stop the heretics here they will swarm the world. They moved to their appropriate positions, as he stared down the middle road it was clear to him they would come, they wish to make a point to show the power of their false gods. 

Randall ran down the road with his brothers and sisters, soon they will kill the heretics. The shouts from the first acolyte spurred them onward. In the distance he could see the xeno loving filth taking positions behind the sandbags, but they were warriors of the true gods. Their might flowed through those who fight in their name. He ground his teeth frustration looking at the enemy. He hated the creatures, he hated how they made him suffer and he hated the imperium for allowing them to take root on this world. He cried out for the four corners, as they reached firing range guns flashed and that was when the road was consumed with a hail of bullets. But they kept running, anger spurred him on even as people in front of him began to fall. 

He smiled as bullets caught the heretics in the head, their malformed faces coming apart with autogun and las-fire. Steadily they advanced towards their defensive position, they were almost there but then he felt a sharp pain. He stopped and looked down to see blood leaking into his clothes. He didn’t even notice he was shot, now his eyes went wide as a few more bullets landed in his chest. He gasped and fell to the ground, slowly looking up he could see he was just a few metres away. He reached forward “I-I...n-need…” a shadow fell over his head, he did not get a chance to look up before it was crushed. 

Zygon stepped on a mortal as he advanced down the road with his squad and many others from the lower hive. The mortal’s were whittling away now, but their bodies allowed them to get close to the heretics defensive position without as so much as a scratch on their armour. He narrowed his eyes at the trucks that were turning to their direction. “Rocket launchers!” he called. 

From behind him rockets flew forwards crashing into the vehicles sending them upwards in a ball of smoke and fire. What he found surprising was the fact the heretics barely flinched, he grinned. “At least they don’t seem boring to kill.” All the astartes charged forward, crashing through the sandbags and any mortals who impeded them. Zygon, raised his blade and bought it down on a fool who sought to block his attack with his gun. His daemon blade sliced right through the weapon and split the heretic’s face open. 

There was a measure of satisfaction swelling in his chest as the heretic fell to the floor, but a clang of a bullet hitting his left pauldron caused Zygon to scowl. He flicked towards the one who attacked him, a creature with three arms was hissing at him it was firing rapidly with it’s pitiful gun. He rushed through the melee to approach the creature he bought his blade down but the alien worshipper raised it’s banner to block his attack with the haft. Cath’sha growled +run, death is coming...it is coming…+ He ignored the sword, he pushed down purple energy sparked from the heretic’s staff. He tutted in annoyance, the icon was most likely blessed by a psyker. 

The banner wielder pushed him back, it’s strength surprised him. But he does not have to fight directly in order to kill someone. He pointed Cath’Sha at the creature. “Release!” he shouted. From the tip of the blade a gout of blue flame shot out, the heretic was bathed in blue fire. It screamed clawing at its body, once it tumbled to the floor he felt a rush of energy. “This world...no this sub-sector will burn.” Cath’sha started bleating again, ruining his victory over the creature. +You will die...it comes to tear you apart…+ He sighed, another useless prophecy he rushed over to the rest of the heretics ignoring the ravings of the daemon. He had holy work to do. 

Ykran impaled a heretic with his blade and kicked him off, the swarm of bodies have gotten over the sandbags. It did not help either that the trucks were destroyed as well. 

All of these problems piling up caused him to curse, but he turned as he heard a scream. He saw his cousin being consumed by blue flame. He felt him slowly dying, he then locked onto the space marine commiting the act. “I will kill you!” he shouted. The space marine did not even look back at him as his cousin fell to the floor, now a blackned husk. “Die heretic!” his attention was drawn away from his cousin’s murderer a human heretic was coming at him with a blade. Ykran swatted the blade aside with his third arm and snatched the heretic’s neck with the second. He bought the fool close to his face and spat upon it, the misguided human spasmed. Once he saw his eyes rolling back, Ykran threw the heretic aside. “Ykran!” 

His name was called by Tan-Kytha, his gaze was drawn to her portion of the road. She was being pushed back by terminators, they were tearing his brothers and sisters apart. The one with the twin lightning claws was howling foul praises to his dark gods as he killed. Seeing this his grip tightened on his bone sword, for once he didn’t know what to do. They were being overwhelmed, the astartes were too strong. +Enough!” A voice boomed. 

Everyone looked up, the voice belonged to his half-brother who was floating down. As feet touched the floor he sent bolts of purple energy down his portion of the road. Sending heretics flying back. Ykran ran over to him “I hope you bought reinforcements!” His half-brother’s eyes were glowing, he looked relaxed. “I have.” he said with his normal voice. 

From sewer hatches genestealers burst out, they fell upon the space marines savaging them with claws. “We need more.” Ykran hissed. “Be patient brother.” Ak-Ynath said calmly. “Enemy! Enemy! Kill! Kill!” the words were slurred as they were shouted. Aberrants appeared from the paths the enemy was advancing, they flanked them and started tearing them apart with power mauls and picks. The space marines could not react fast enough, Ykran smiled seeing them struggle. But that smile was short lived as drop pods shot down across the plaza, more astartes arrived at the battle along with their leader. 

He wielded a massive mace and wore a gold helm. “Kill them! For chaos!” he shouted. Ak-Ynath frowned “a chaos lord...I…” The abberrants charged at the reinforcements, but the chaos lord stepped towards them and began swatting them aside like children. Ykran looked around, their brothers and sisters were being trampled, he saw Tan-Kytha impaled on the claws of the terminator. He grunted as eyes were set on them. “This is it.” Ykran said calmly. Ak-Ynath readied his staff in return to his words. “That seems to be the case...let’s hope we die well.” 

Zygon sliced off the head of a hulking mutant, he flopped to the ground as the head fell to the floor. “For the powers!” The whole warband echoed his cry, they advanced upon the two leaders. The heretics that were still alive were gathering around them. Cath’Sha began rattling in his grip. +he is coming….+ He kept a tight hold of the blade as he walked up to the remainder of the heretics, he linked up with Tagon and Arazar. The Dark Apostle tapped his Crozius on his pauldron. “True faith prevailed heretic.” The psyker kept a calm face, but he could see the venom in his eyes. “True faith? What does your faith bring? There is no higher purpose in it. Look at those who followed you. You spent their lives as coin.” Zygon stepped forward, he wanted to silence this xenos worshipper for his heresy, but Arazar raised his hand to stop him. “How can you say that after you bow to the alien? I don’t know how you mixed your DNA with the filthy tyranids but you must be expunged from this world. Your corpses will be strewn on the cathedral we will build over your false idols.” 

Zygon smiled at that thought, he hoped he would be the one to flay the psyker for speaking out of the turn. The heretic was about to speak again, but his mouth stayed half open. His eyes bled away to white suddenly. +I see you…+ The voice crawled through his mind, it sounded powerful and even maybe ancient. “We need to kill him!” Tagon shouted. “Now!” 

None of them wasted any time, they raised bolters and bolt pistols. But when they pressed the trigger to fire, there was click and then a great bang. The weapons exploded, runes flickered across his screen displaying damage reports to his hand as he dropped the ruined bolt pistol. +It’s not hard to stop bullets. I have done so many times, now what do you all most hate? What do you all fear?+ He felt an alien presence passing through his mind, he couldn’t force it out. +So that’s it?+ said the psyker. He gestured down with his hand. +Kneel.+ Everyone fell to their knees. Soon as his own knees touched the ground he raged with fury, shame filled his heart. 

Arazar was even shouting profanities at the psyker, that was when they heard the sound of mass carriers. From the skies, across the plaza carriers bearing the heraldry of the false faith landed. But his own eyes was focused on the one nearest to them, when the landing bay dropped the presence he felt in his mind increased. 

What stepped down the landing bay was a huge genestealer with a swollen brain rippling with psychic energy. It stood two to three heads taller than them, from the rest of the carriers more heretics poured out along with what looked to be arbites. The giant genestealer strode over to the psyker and faced them, it crouched slightly and placed a clawed finger to it's swollen head. The psyker gasped and began falling to the ground but a heretic with three arms caught him. +My child did well for what he had available...now where were we? Ah yes...+ Images started to flood Zygon’s mind, he saw the planet burning, he saw himself kneeling in the dust of the world. He hated memory, he hated alien further for bringing it to the fore. +The worst is yet to come, you dare to attack what was mine. I felt the brood mind vibrating, it was erratic and it is only when I dove deep into it that I felt what was happening. Hundreds...thousands of my children were dying. That….angered me!+ A pulse of pain passed through his body, everyone winced in pain. 

The giant genestealer rose to his full height, he began to walk among the warband he started killing them one by one. Sweat started to trail down his brow “It wasn’t meant to be like this!” He shouted. +I tried to warn you…+ He looked down to his hand to see he was still gripping his blade. +I can’t wait to see you die, of all the strings of doom that was chosen it was this one.+ As the daemon spoke a shadow fell over him, he looked up and a now he was rising in the air. Gouts of blood erupted from his mouth as the giant genestealer impaled him with it's claws. The laughter of the daemon rang in his ears as the alien threw him aside. 

Ykran held his half-brother he was unconscious and missing the end of the heretics. Ykran watched as the star father executed the space marines one at a time. But he noticed the leader was being kept alive, everyone in front of them was already dead. Even so his eyes drifted to the one that killed Athoth, he was happy that he was dead but he would of preferred to have done it himself. +You have killed him.+ The voice of the patriarch thrummed through the brood mind. +We are all connected.+ He raised a claw and cut down the terminator with the lighting claws. +When one part of the brood mind acts, we all do. As you killed I felt it, as you hated your foes I felt that as well.+ The star father tore off the head of another. +We are all one.+ He tore the last space marine in half. 

Ykran said nothing, the patriarch then returned to his original position. A question started to spawn in his mind, the star father looked down at him. +You want to ask why do you question? Why do you disagree with your brother?+ He nodded “yes.” +Parts of the cult are required to think and if there is a room to disagree the brood mind is better for it. Millions of paths can be bought up and because of the brood mind we can come to accordance to that better path.+ He recalled the conversation in the church, he came to agreement with his brother. If they had time to put the plan into the practice it’s likely that they could of won this war alone. +You are correct my son.+ The star father’s gaze then fell upon the warband leader. +Now...up.+ The movement was jerky, the space marine slowly got up. +My saint wishes to speak with you, follow me.+ The star father started to walk away with the astartes, but before he reached the mass carrier he turned his head back to him. +We are leaving, we will not return. Work to bring about another patriarch.+ The gravity of what he just said made his eyes go wide. He thought to voice a complaint but since this was the star father’s command there must be a reason. He nodded “It shall be done.” 

He then left with the space marine, Ykran looked down to his unconscious half-brother “we have a lot of work to do.” 

Epilogue

Arazar was on his knees, enchanted chains crossed his body keeping him from moving. The smell of foul incense tickled his nose. He looked around the lab, it was full of huge test tubes containing genestealers, chemicals and a host of other devices. “Eyes on me.” His gaze shifted to the mortal, she had white hair and she wore power armour. There was also a man resting his back on the wall, he wore an eyepatch with the symbol of the false faith etched upon it. Arazar also caught the glint of a cybernetic arm. The female smiled warmly “I wanted to speak with you.” Arazar chuckled “you think I will join you? That I will worship the alien? Or do you want to torture me?” The woman shook her head. “You are incorrect.” she drew her bolt pistol and pointed at his head. “I just wanted to gloat. I know your legion...Word Bearers correct?” 

He smiled as she uttered the name of their holy legion. “Yes, our holy task is to spread the true faith. My death means nothing.” he said flatly. The woman nodded “I know what’s more important to me was the fact your gods most likely sent you against us...did you have a vision?” He had no desire to answer her questions anymore, he did not want to anger the gods further due to his failure. The woman chuckled “I take that as a yes...do you know what that means?” She began to slowly press the trigger on the bolt pistol. “It means that your gods are sacred of us! They want to stop us from completing our holy work! All those who call me mad! Or fool! I know now….they are wrong.” Her eyes shifted to yellow with slits, Arazar winced in disgust. “You are truly a disgusting creature, just by the smell in this room I can tell that both you and that man aren’t human anymore.” He said firmly. 

The woman nodded in agreement “yes...we are more than human. We are better than human, through the holy blood of the star father we have been purged of mortal weakness. In the end...I am right...I am vindicated in the eyes of my naysayers, even if they no longer live.” She pulled the trigger, Arazar felt half his head coming apart. As he died all he could hear was the the laughter of his gods.    

Soo yeah....sorry for dropping this story for time. But that's the end! I hope people liked it. :smile.: I might do another one when they update the GSC codex. Going by Vigilus it seems GSC are going to be expanded. 

Archived