Genesis of the II Legiones Astartes

Babu Dhakal

Welcome everyone to the Genesis of the II Legiones Astartes, a fan-fiction written by myself. For now it is only in it's beginning stages and as such I have only created a semi-timeline of sorts but feel free to leave any constructive criticism and feedback thank you. For the Emperor Brothers and Sisters!

Unification Wars

Gene-forged from the II Primarchs genetic makeup during the earliest years of the Unification Wars, the II Legiones Astartes were born from the many tribe nobility of Old Zelan, a large and desolate place that had belonged to the Pan-Pacific Empire.

Because of the I Legion having been operational for at least a decade before the raising of the II Legion, the I Legion would plan and oversee the training regimes that the II Legion initiates would undertake before and after their augmentation into full Astartes.

Because of this the II Legions own personality didn’t manifest itself until the Dethroning of the Warlord-Tyrant Kalagann of Ursh.

The Dethroning

The first recorded open battle honour for the II Legion was earned against the warlord tyrant Kalagann who ruled over the Techno-Barbarian state known as Ursh. The Tyrant Kalagann had become known during his reign for the use of so called ‘magick’ in battle, and in the subsequent war to follow his ‘magick practitioners’ would cause the I & II to suffer horrendous casualties.

And after many months of atrocious, grinding warfare the tyrant of Ursh the Emperor in His wisdom decided to halt the advance of his Legions to seek out a less costly strategy to bring the tyrant to his knees and so the Legion Master of the II came forth offering a solution, to let him and his few Legione Brothers infiltrate one of the ancient orbital plates and drop assault into the tyrants palace when it passes overhead.

One night later the Warlord’s body was found by his remaining generals sitting decapitated in a bloody throne surrounded by the gorey remains of many of his prized ‘magick practitioners’ and monstrously mutated bodyguard.

And born from this grisly scene a power vacuum was created with many of Ursh’s generals competing for the rule of Ursh and all her vast armies. But within these moments of distraction and infighting the I and II went on a devastating offensive which overwhelmed all of the garrison forces that had only a night ago solidly held the Imperial advance at bay.

Throughout the rest of the Unification Wars the II would participate in many of the great battles alongside their brother Legions and the ascendent Emperor, helping overthrow and pacify the warlords and tyrants of Old Earth, even Narthan Dume the last ruler of the Pan-Pacific Empire they once owed fealty to.

Homeworld

Odyssia, before the Age of Strife was a Capital world of the Charybdis system and the foremost trading post for many of the surrounding planets. Peaceful, wealthy and undeniably beautiful Odyssia and her human inhabitants enjoyed long and prosperous lives. Until the warp was thrown into a raging frenzy killing millions of unfortunate Odyssians and their voidcraft. Depressed and alone the Odyssians fell on one another their blades dripping and guns chugging.

Great Crusade

As the Sol system fell into line with the Imperial regime, the Emperor began the Great Crusade and led the Legions of the Imperium into the greater darkness so that they may illuminate those lost souls that wandered in its shadows.

The mysteries of the Second Legion have always been of great curiosity to me, so I will certainly be sure to follow this thread quite closely! 

I like what you have thus far, it certainly leaves me wanting to know more of the Second Legion and, of course, their primarch! I am intrigued by the idea of Oddysia and cannot wait to hear how it changes with the advent of the Imperium of Man. 

On an unrelated sidenote, I see that you are fairly new to the Bolter & Chainsword so... welcome! Make yourself at home, can't wait to read the next segment!

RETCONNED

Hello Brothers and Sisters, here we have the origin story of the Second Primarch. Currently, the piece is in its early stages and as such is bound to change but despite that, it conveys the core story I wanted to tell and so here it is, enjoy

Primarch Origins

Descending in a ball of azure lightning and scarlet flame, the meteor lit the glass plains in a blinding frenzy of reflecting light that burned into Telamon’s retina, that, even with his protection visor on, left blotches of dark purples and bright oranges obscuring his sight.

With his sight obscured Telamon only felt the shock wave of the meteor's crash as it travelled through the earth, rocking the mining hauler and rattling his old bones like a child's plaything and as he cursed his fragile body Telamon tried to rub the pain away with his free hand while keeping his other firmly gripped on the steering wheel, too desperate to risk slowing with the great tempests raging overhead.

Their lightning had already struck the dark glassy surface on either side of the massive hauler more than enough times to worry the old man. But despite the dangers of being scorched alive and blown up hanging constantly at the forefront of his mind, Telamon suddenly felt an instinctual need to protect, to rush to a loved one's side and defend them from all harm that ails them.

And as he drove further away from the crater, the more Telamon felt that need grow and grow until finally, it overrode his instinct for self-preservation. And as Telamon spun his hauler around, he was also straining against it, muttering a string of foul obscenities under his breath as he sped into the heart of the tempest like a madman.

Trying to calm himself, Telamon wondered what he would find, a satellite perhaps? He could use the metal to trade with that crook merchant back home, picturing the dumbfounded look on the cretin's face when he brought metal enough to buy his whole supply of rations and still have more to spare, that Telamon reasoned would definitely be worth running this death gauntlet.

And so with a little more motivation now, Telamon pushed his steel capped boot on the pedal just a fraction extra. As his hauler closed in on the glowing crater through the drenching rain and murderous lightning strikes, Telamon thought he spotted something moving in the crater.

Dumbstruck Telamon nearly forgot to brake and slewed to a violent stop only a few metres away from the crater's edge. Quickly turning his headlights on full Telamon attempted to peer out into the darkness but with the ever-present torrent of sheeting rain he could barely see a few metres in front of him.

So with just a bit more than a moment's hesitation, he placed his dirty filter mask on, grabbed his torch and propped his shoulder against his door. With teeth gritted and jaw set, Telamon pressed with all the strength he could muster opening the door just enough to allow him to launch himself out into the storm-wracked desert. 

Landing with a wet crunch Telamon was instantly bracketed by hurricane winds and pelting rain, and could only just hear the door slamming closed behind him as he pushed on through the maelstrom and tried to spot whatever he had seen moving in the crater.

But it was next to impossible as he moved out of the headlights illumination,  so as he flicked his torch on and inched closer and closer leaning his considerable weight into every step, Telamon, at last, reached the precipice of the crater's edge. But when he peered over its molten edge and shone his torch into the dark depths, he froze with shock and awe at the sight of an open gestation pod stood upright in the crater's center with the figure of a small boy crouching naked in a gathering pool of water and glass shards right in front of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good! I have been quite excited to read the latest installment of the II Legion's history and have finally found the time (and wi-fi connection) to do so! 

Descending in a ball of azure lightning and scarlet flame, the meteor lit the glass plains in a blinding frenzy of reflecting light that burned into Telamon’s retina, that, even with his protection visor on, left blotches of dark purples and bright oranges obscuring his sight.

This is an absolutely wonderful start to the story, it is quite captivating and I love the vivid description and wording. What a powerful way to convey the reality-warping impact of a primarch arriving upon his homeward!

I cannot wait to be introduced to the primarch himself, with such a strong build-up. The sense of loyalty that he inspires in mortals, such as Telamon, is quite intriguing and I would love to see that be explored further.

One thing I would watch out for in both future revisions and segments of the story are run-on sentences. Sometimes, a sentence should logically be broken up either by grammatical devices such as semi-colons or commas, and other times a sentence really needs to be broken into multiple whole sentences. 

As example:

And so with a little more motivation now Telamon pushed his steel capped boot on the pedal just a fraction extra but as his hauler closed in on the glowing crater, through the drenching rain and murderous lightning strikes Telamon thought he spotted something moving in the crater.

This sentence can be tidied up as so:

And so with a little more motivation now, Telamon pushed his steel-capped boot on the pedal just a fraction extra. but As his hauler closed in on the glowing crater through the drenching rain and murderous lightning strikes, Telamon thought he spotted something moving in the crater.

These issues are not huge at all, but keeping an eye out for run-on sentences and grammatical errors will help your piece read smoothly and keep the reader captivated, which is the best thing a writer can hope for!

Again, well-written and I look forward to the next segment!

Thank you Brother for the feedback and motivation! I'll definitely work to correct the errors and my grammar so i can deliver the best reading experience! I've also got some ideas on the next segment of the story and I'll begin it as soon as my previous segments have been polished.

Once again Thank you for the support Tarvek!

Of course, I'm very much enjoying what you've put together so far! 

As a sidenote, I hope that my suggestions / feedback are useful. I have a degree in English, so I understand just how hard it is to catch every little grammar and spelling mistake! I never mean to make my critiques come across as negative, and sincerely hope that I do not come across as such.

It's wonderful seeing such a creative depiction of the IInd Legion; like I said, I have always been very intrigued by who and what they were! There are so many tantalizing hints written into the Horus Heresy books, so seeing what people make of them is always an great fun!

No, don't worry! I never took it negatively, just as constructive criticism :). It has been nice to have someone else's perspective on my writing. I had not shared them before this so any and all feedback has been hugely helpful in developing my writing.

That was exactly what inspired me to begin writing the Genesis of the Second Legion; reading or listening to other's homebrews and fanfiction especially the pieces involving the elusive Second or Eleventh Legions!

• 6 months later...
The Genesis Begins

Imperial Personnel

• The Emperor of Mankind

Odyssians

• Nerandil, Primarch of the II Legion and Lord-King of Odyssia (Ner-ran-dil)
  • Leon, Brother of the Primarch and Lord of Odyssia
  • Meric, Beast of Odyssia (Meer-rick)
  • Anya, Wife to Lord-King Nerandil and Sister of Lord Leon
  • Veltrae, Commander of the Odyssian Auxiliaries (Vel-tray)
  • Fearno, Personal Honour Guard of the Lord-King Nerandil (Fear-no)
  • Fortunus, Lord of Odyssia

Chapter One

Illuminated only by the pinpricks of light in the sky, Leon sat high upon a hill listening to the sea as waves rolled then crashed upon the sandy beach below. He had come to the hill for a brief respite from his family's drama and as the gentle sea breeze brushed against his skin, Leon felt himself languish his troubled mind to the calmness of sleep.

He dreamed about the many times he and his sister, Anya, had come to watch the night skies roll past as their parents slept. He missed those less complicated days when he could just love his sister and not compete with her for their parent's love and attention. But as he dreamed all Leon knew was the love he shared with Anya. So deeply did he feel it that in reality, a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

But as his dreams passed and the darkness of deep sleep descended Leon was jolted awake by a loud and sudden boom of noise. It sounded like the rumble of shifting tectonic plates clashing against one another as it was carried over the sea, gradually getting louder and louder, until he couldn’t hear himself stammering ‘What the hell is that?’ aloud.

He looked about himself, seeking the the origin of the noise and as he did so, Leon realised all he could see had a red hue to it. Then he gazed upwards towards the skies where he saw them torn apart by a jagged scar that roared with unnatural flames. And through the miasma of unreality, Leon saw a ball of azure lightning spewed out.

He stood slack-jawed as he stared unblinkingly at the star hurtling towards him; only remembering to blink when a flurry of blinding light reflected by the seas stabbed into his retina, making his eyes snap shut.

And when he opened them again, despite dark blotches of purples and blues still staining his vision, Leon just managed to see the falling star strike the Odyssia in a tempest of lightning and fire as the shock wave from the colossal impact slammed into him, knocking him unconscious. He woke up sprawled on the ground with a pounding headache and a gash that ran from his wrist all the way across the underside of his forearm. What was that? He kept repeating as his mind tried then failed to comprehend what it just witnessed. 

So instead, it looked to the things it could comprehend and suddenly he felt dread flush his veins cold as he saw the forest that his family’s hut stood in alight with scarlet flame. Leon took off, stumbling his way down the hillside into the forest, nursing his wounded arm as he went. As he passed the brush that surrounded the forest’s edge, a thick carpet of smoke was choking the woods, forcing Leon to hold his shirt to his face to avoid inhaling the toxic fumes as he panted for breath.

He was fast for his age and quickly saw his family's hut come into view but in his eagerness to find his family he nearly fell but with unusual nimbleness Leon corrected his footing in time and continued on.

He tried to listen for anyone when he got to the front door but couldn't hear anything over the crackle and creaking of the burning wood. So he decided to go in but when he yanked at the door, it held solid. He heaved at the handle even harder, his knuckles whiting and his palms hurting, but still it didn’t budge. So thinking on the spot, he ran around the hut to where his father's shed stood. Inside he found the axe they owned and grabbed it before running back to the door. He swung the axe like a madman, chopping his way through the burning wood until only the hinges remained.

But as the splintered timber fell, a pair of figures, clutching one another came stumbling out. It was his mother and father holding each other, gasping for air. Relief flooded through him for a split second before Leon noticed Anya, wasn't with them. ‘Where's Anya!' He yelled at his parents as his heart resumed it’s rapid pounding again.

‘She was right behind us!' Leon’s father wheezed back as he tried to hobble through the doorway in spite of his oxygen-starved body. Leon knew he wouldn’t make it so he squeezed passed his father trying to get through into the hut, but just as he was passing under the doorway he was yanked off his feet.

‘What are you doing?!’ he screamed before he saw the roof collapse in a flaming heap as the weakened walls holding it up were eaten through by the hellish flames.

Unable and unwilling to believe it, Leon tore from his father’s arms, trying to pick his way through the wreckage as his hands burned and tears dried on his cheeks. When his father finally regained some semblance of his former strength, he grabbed Leon away and hugged him until he stopped struggling. ‘She’s gone son, she’s gone’ His father whispered into Leon’s ear trying to calm him, although it sounded like the words were more for himself than his whimpering son.

They stood there, embracing each other for what seemed like hours, although in reality were seconds at best, until they heard Leon’s mother wail out in surprise. Quickly, the pair untangled from each other and whirled around to see a figure, no taller than Leon emerge from the smouldering ruins carrying a small girl in his hands as she clung to his naked body. They could barely believe what they were witnessing, both of the figures seemed untouched by the sweltering heat and fiery blaze engulfing the ruins behind them, as though it was of no consequence to them. To him. 

The boy, Leon could make out now, stepped from the ruins of his hut holding Anya gently in his arms, not once taking his eyes from her even as his mother limped over to him and slowly took Anya away. When she moved away from the boy, cradling and kissing Anya, the firelight around them revealed a boy no older than sixteen seasons. He had suntanned skin like his own, straight black hair that angled to the left of his scalp and the face of a noble to be. But it was the eyes, or whatever they, of the boy that stood out from his perfect features. Two orbs of pure unaltered gold seemingly flowed in place of where his eyes should have been. Yet despite their alienness, Leon felt calm as though just witnessing them soothed the uneasiness he had felt just before.

Although it seemed not to be doing the same for his father as he approached the boy, slowly grabbing the axe from Leon’s hands.‘Who are you boy?’ he called. The boy didn’t move or speak, but simply stared at Anya. ‘I said who are you boy,’ Leon’s father yelled once more, his grip on the axe slowly but surely tightening around the handle.

But before he could get any closer the boy, finally shifted his gaze off Anya to where Leon stood and said with a voice of gold ‘I am Nerandil.' and with that the sound of an axe thumping to the ground rang out.

Chapter Two

Six years later...

‘Brother, what word is there from the frontier?’asked Nerandil, his voice soft but easily carrying across the massive hall in which sat hundreds of administrative, military and governmental officials and staff.

‘We have heard lord Fortunus pleads for our aid. The lord Meric' warrior's are invading his lands, killing and pillaging at their own pleasure,’ replied Leon, having to raise his already strong voice to match his brothers.

‘Interesting, and what do you suggest we should do with this news brother?’ Nerandil asked, catching the look that gleamed in Leon’s eyes whenever he had a plan.

Leon knew his brother saw it and smirked ‘I think if we ally ourselves with lord Fortunus then we will be susceptible to his betrayal later on,’ He answered Nerandil as he walked slowly upon the raised dais that sat in the middle of the chamber so all may see and hear their lords debates and decisions. 

‘Is that so?' said Nerandil, his eyebrow-raising by a fraction. ‘What makes you think the honourable lord Fortunus will betray us?’

‘Brother, he is a desperate man and will only ally himself with us because of it. Not because he wants to, so he has the unquestionable potential to betray us,’ Leon answered quickly and precisely, as though he had already predicted the question Nerandil would ask.

Which is exactly what Nerandil knew he had done. Leon was not one to deny a potential ally out of hand so, he concluded, Leon had already thought through the consequences of if they did or did not accept Fortunus’ plead for aid. Therefore he offered the question his brother needed to share his plan in its entirety ‘And what do you suggest we should do about him then?’

Confirming his suspicions Leon answered with a short but thought out plan ‘I believe we should open talks with lord Meric, if he joins with us it will be because he wants to and not because he is desperate.’ Nerandil had come to the same conclusion, Meric was the only reliable lord between him and Fortunus; even with his fearsome reputation. ‘Then with Meric alongside us we could launch a campaign against Fortunus who stands weak already.’ Leon’s proposal garnering more than a fair few nodding heads and grunts of approval.

‘And what if Lord Meric declines?'

‘He won’t.’ replied Leon, staring his demigod brother in the eye. The determination in them was almost palpable and Nerandil was sure the gathering felt it as well.

‘Good, then Lord Leon you will take our proposal to the Lord Meric and relay his demands to me, when he has undoubtedly given them - unless someone disagrees with this course of action?’ He demanded softly as he swept his golden gaze across the faces of his subjects. As expected not one answered him.

‘Of course brother, your will shall be done,’ Leon saluted. 

Hearing a decision being reached, the leader of Nerandil's personal honor guard, Fearno, dropped to his knee and bellowed ‘Lord!’ - an action which was reciprocated and answered by the rest of the meeting as they boomed ‘King!’ in reply. It was a tradition Leon had insisted upon and one that Nerandil was humbled by, because he knew what it represented. Loyalty, the one principle he would never betray.

The stars and moons had risen into the night sky when the conglomeration finally dispersed and their light bled into the hall illuminating the lone figure that remained standing atop the dais. The contours of the figures nigh on perfect physique that laid beneath his robes of office were highlighted by their shine. He enjoyed bathing in the starlight, it helped him to think and clear away any unwanted doubts or troubles the day would bring like one would bathe to rid himself of the filth a hard day's work.

But as he stood immobile for what seemed like minutes, a voice like the quiet rustling of leaves in the wind said ‘Why are you still here?’ It was a woman’s voice, and although as disjointed from reality as he was, Nerandil’s conscious mind could make out the specific resonance of his wife’s vocal cords as though it was nothing.

‘Ah, my wife,' said Nerandil as he turned towards the woman walking up the stairs to the dais ‘Because I'm hiding from you, of course.’ He quipped in his bass like voice.

‘You think you’re so funny, don’t you?’ Anya said as she strode to the top.

‘I like to think so yes,’ Nerandil replied, his smile broadening as he saw Anya in her white silk dress lit by the moonlight. ‘If you weren’t so close, I might have mistaken you for a star in the night, such is your beauty’ Nerandil said almost awestruck by her majesty.

‘Joker’ Anya casually brushed away the affection of a demigod.

‘Anything for you m’lady,’ Nerandil bowed to his wife. ‘Now tell me, why are you here Wife’ he questioned her as she came to a stop in front of him.

‘Because it has been nearly three hours since the assembly, and I came to find my husband,’ explained Anya. ‘I spoke to Fearno and he said you haven’t moved an inch since then.’

Sighing heavily Nerandil let his noble visage slip just a bit as his shoulders sagged slightly. It would have been overlooked by anyone else, but Anya knew her husband and her concern grew. He looked down at Anya his golden eyes flowing ceaselessly, he apologised ‘I am sorry, I needed some peace away from the politicking and ruling of Odyssia. I didn’t realise it had been so long.’

But Anya stood unconvinced and crossed her arms across her chest. She stared back into those golden globes and said ‘That is not all of it, confess before I make you,’ sternly but with a lightheartedness that he could appreciate.

He sighed again, then walked past Anya and sat down onto the top step of the dais. When she joined him he explained to her what truly troubled him. ‘It started a few nights ago, this feeling of apprehension.’

‘Apprehension of what?’

‘Of something that, I fear, represents the downfall of us and more importantly everything we’ve built upon Odyssia,’ he paused, staring out through the oculi above ‘It’s like knowing when you’re death will come for you but not how,’ he tried to elaborate.

Despite hearing this apocalyptic prophecy, Anya looked as stalwart as ever, reminding Nerandil why he had chosen her as his wife. ‘Then we should prepare for whatever it is,’ she said ‘gather our armies, build up our defences. If it is a threat to Odyssia herself then we should look to the stars because you and Leon have left no foe powerful enough on her surface to even pose a threat to our planet,’ she continued. ‘Let this be an opportunity for us to roam the stars as you’ve always dreamed about and find this threat and destroy it before whatever it is comes anywhere close to our home.’ said Anya as Nerandil listened intently to his wife’s impassioned speech.

He knew she was right and none of her logic could be faulted so when she finished, Nerandil looked at her and said ‘You are my greatest advisor and I could not wish for anyone else.’ Then once again his face regained its sense of nobility and the starlight reflected from him in a halo. ‘Tell Fearno to send messengers to the Lords of Odyssia, tell them that their Lord-King wants void worthy ships prepared and our armies assembled. Tell them that Lord Fortunus will not be our last conquered foe. We are going to sally forth from our home and delve into the stars to find our greatest foe yet.’

Chapter Three

‘Lord Meric, I am are honoured to speak with you. I am Lord Leon representative and brother of Lord-King Nerandil,' Leon said introducing himself. ‘I have come to speak about an alliance between our two kingdoms.’

‘Lord Leon, I have heard of your many exploits in the South. You are quite the ruthless commander,' said Meric appreciatively, although it sounded much like a snarl than speech to Leon. The Beast of Odyssia was an old warrior with a face scarred by a lifetime of war and as Leon bowed in acknowledgment he saw trophies from his many campaigns hang on the walls to either side of him; glowering at him as the torchlight lit them from the inside. 

‘I am not ruthless Lord, war is. As I am sure you know,’ Leon said; making a point of looking at the trophies. Some of which, he noted, were from the two kingdoms of Odyssia he had slaughtered and burned to the ground in all their entireties; actions which had earned him his title.

‘I do and it is exactly why I am contemplating about killing you right now,’ admitted Meric, his ice-cold eyes glinting in the dark. 

Leon smiled at this, unperturbed by the threat to his life. ‘Lord, you may kill me right now if you wish it but I know you are an honourable, and more importantly intelligent man.’ At this Leon saw a brief flash of white in the dark, as Meric smiled. ‘And that is why you won't kill me.’

‘Fair enough,’ Meric shrugged in his throne ‘now explain to me young lordling why should I join with you and lord Nerandil? Haven’t you both attacked and taken my lands before?’ He questioned Leon as he sat in his throne.

‘We have Lord Meric, of that I do not deny but that was in the past, where such things were necessary. Now they are not, now an alliance is.’ Leon replied with no fear or trepidation of his words consequences.

‘Then tell me why an alliance is necessary, lordling. I admit I can see some benefits to it but I want to know why you’ve come to me instead of Fortunus,’ said Meric as he leaned forward out of the shadows of his throne. ‘Convince me lordling.’

‘Lord, I won’t hold my plan from you as others would. I plan to use our alliance, if we agree to it, to march on Fortunus and take his lands,’ explained Leon.

‘You plan to march on Fortunus? Ambitious, ruthless, are you sure you’re not one of mine?’ asked Meric, his ugly smile still pulling at the corners of his mouth.

‘Yes Lord absolutely, but like I said some things are necessary and Fortunus cannot be allowed to rule by our borders, he has become too unpredictable and desperate,’ Leon told the Beast of Odyssia.

‘Hmph, I’m still not convinced lordling,’ said Meric as he reclined back into his throne; the shadows seeming to gather around the giant man.

‘Lord you are now, one of two remaining enemies of me and my brother, if you wish to die then we may end our talks now but if you wish to live and have your lands and people prosper in the light of a united Odyssia, where famine, poverty, and war no longer exist then you will accept our alliance,’ Leon said as honestly as he could. He didn't want to grovel at the man's feet like some would, begging for his strength. Leon wanted to be up front, to show Meric that he did not fear him but respected him.

He waited for Meric' reply as he saw him contemplating the offer in the dark recesses of his throne. Eventually after a few moments of hard thought, he said ‘I will accept your alliance when my demands are met.’

‘And what are those, my lord?’

‘First of all, I want assurance that when our campaign against Fortunus has ended that Lord Nerandil or you will not try to attack my lands,’ demanded Meric, still hidden in the shadows.

‘You will have it,’ said Leon, waiting for the next demand.

Smirking Meric made his second demand ‘I also want fully half of Fortunus’ wealth and lands, people included.’

It took Leon a few moments to think on this demand before he replied ‘You will have it.’

‘And last of all, I want soldiers, not men or boys, soldiers, to replenish the inevitable losses my army will suffer during the campaign,’ Meric said ‘I think a thousand men should do it.’ A thoughtful expression on his face.

Taken aback by his last demand, Leon said firmly ‘You cannot have a thousand of our men, that demand is too high. Try again Lord Meric.’

‘A thousand or you may take your leave,’ said Meric with menace colouring his tone ‘I promise you will lose many more men to mine and Fortunus’ armies before you kill me’.

Leon bit back a curse and swallowed the growl building in his throat before he ultimately said ‘You will have it.’

‘Good,’ Meric said as he stood up from his throne and walked to stand in front of Leon. The Lord Meric cut an imposing figure, his curved armour enhancing his already massive build, then he came to a stop and Leon had to shift his gaze upwards to meet the beast's unforgiving eyes. They bored into him, as though they were trying to discern a hidden weakness he had not yet noticed, but Leon kept his gaze steady and firm knowing they would not.

Moments passed as the two lords eyed each other, but just when Leon was beginning to question himself, Meric’ piercing gaze finally softened a little and a gauntleted hand shot out from his side, holding in the air between them. Leon failed to hide a flinch at the sudden action and saw a sly smile cross Meric’ mouth. Leon’s eyes hardened and he gripped the proffered hand in front of him; their armour clashing together with a solid thunk as he dragged Meric into an embrace.

Parting from each other, Leon dipped his head in acknowledgment of Lord Meric, turned and walked back down the hall. But just as he approached the doors that lead out of the hall Leon was confused to see Fearno enter and approach him. ‘Lord Leon,’ saluted Fearno, ‘I bring word from your brother and my Lord-king,’ he explained as Fearno saw the confused look on Leon’s face.

‘And what is it, my friend?’ Leon asked, trying to guess what it could be.

‘My lord, you are to tell Lord Meric that all his demands will be met, whatever they are and that Lord Nerandil wants you and the Lord Meric to march on Fortunus immediately.’ he paused taking a breath ‘I have also been sent with a thousand of our best men to be commanded by you and Lord Meric as a sign of goodwill from Lord-King Nerandil,’ Fearno finished.

‘And what has provoked my brother to push for this?’ He asked his friend.

‘Leon, you’re sister and Nerandil have made a decision to finally reach for the stars,’ Fearno replied.

‘Ah so he's finally decided to recognize our dream,’ Leon said ‘and that is why we must crush Fortunus to safeguard our home after we leave,’ Leon extrapolated. 

‘Yes my Lord, that is what I believe.’ Fearno confirmed.

‘Alright then, Fearno make preparations for the men to move immediately. I will take our orders to the Lord Meric,’ He ordered, as Fearno saluted him once more and marched back through the doors to carry out his orders. Leon took a deep breath, readying himself mentally to explain what had just occurred to Meric, but before he could release it he heard another being taken behind him. 

Leon drew his sword from its scabbard in a flash of  Odyssian steel and swung it for whoever’s midsection was behind him. But in a clash of noise, Leon found the blade of Lord Meric against his. ‘Well that’s not exactly the way I would greet someone,’ said Meric with a grin.

‘Well you might need to learn how to greet someone first, instead of sneaking up on them,’ Leon said as he took his blade and placed it back in its scabbard. ‘I’m assuming you heard Fearno and the orders he carried with him?’

‘I heard them and I will comply with them but I have another demand as well. I want to take Fortunus’ head myself,’ he told Leon; non-negotiable written all over his face.

‘Then he’s all yours Lord Meric, I will order the men to steer clear of him when it comes to it.’ Leon made a shallow bow.

‘Good’ Meric said ‘I will prepare my army and meet yours at the border crossing to Fortunus’ lands in three days time,’ And before Leon could reply the giant man turned around and stalked back into the shadows of his throneroom, leaving Leon to stare at his back until even his immense figure was consumed.

Chapter Four

It took Leon and Meric nearly two years of rapid, non-stop warfare to finally reach Lord Fortunus’ last line of defence, his island-bastion of Orithia. An incredibly powerful fortress, well-known throughout the annals of Odyssia’ history. It would take years of siege warfare to break conventionally and that was a war Nerandil was desperate to avoid in order to keep with his schedule to launch his foray into the void at the beginning of the next year. Nerandil had trusted his brother and Meric to prosecute their war against Fortunus while he dealt with the logistics of compiling the assets of his armies and fleet. But now was not the time to leave it to others to fight his wars, now was the time to prosecute and end it himself. 

Standing upon one of the neighbouring islands to Orithia, Nerandil watched as his troops attempted to breach the island-bastion from the southernmost side while Leon’s troops took the north and Meric’ the east. They had been probing the defences for only a few months and Nerandil predicted they would be doing so for at least a few more before a major breakthrough would even be possible.

So as he stood on a rocky outcropping, waiting for the sun to set and night to rise in its place. Nerandil, knowing the stars were only a few moments away, took these last few minutes before he had to leave to meet with Leon and Meric to discuss their strategy, thought on all his, Leon’s and Anya’s achievements and how proud their mother and father would have been of them. They together had achieved all that any family or human in Odyssia’ long history could hope to achieve and much more. 

And with this last thrust of the blade, Odyssia, after years of war and famine, will finally be united as one thought Nerandil With Leon and Anya, by my side, we will soar among the stars as we were destined to. The thought, brought a smile to his face, revealing pearl white teeth that gleamed in the now night sky.

Feeling the moment had come, Nerandil unclipped his helmet from his waist, placed it on his head and strode back to the ships awaiting him in the small bay below. Leon and Lord Meric were discussing his plans around the tactical hololith that sat in the deployment bay when he arrived. His mere presence made all in the bay fall silent and drop their knees, even lord Meric look ready to kneel. But with a determination he approved of the giant man stood his ground.

‘Ah Brother, finally you've made it,’ said Leon with subtle excitement glinting in his eyes.

‘Well, I couldn't let you win all the glory,’ replied Nerandil with a warm smile.

‘Ha! Either way brother, the glory will be mine,’ said Leon confidently.

‘We will see about that young lordling,’ interceded Meric as he prowled closer to Nerandil, stopping just shy of touching distance. The Beast of Odyssia, Nernadil observed, probably would have been the largest man alive on Odyssia if it wasn’t for him and his more substantial stature. But as dwarfing as he was to Meric, the giant man still stared into Nerandil’s eyes without fear and slowly the tension built as the two behemoths eyed one another. 

But before the tension could reach its deadly climax, Meric nodded and held a hand out, seemingly approving of his resolve. So he gripped the venerable warrior’s arm in the old way, palm to forearm bringing forth a smirk of appreciation from Meric. ‘You know your history then.’

‘I try to, my lord Meric,’ he replied releasing his grip, letting his hand fall to his side.

‘So brother,’ Leon cut in ‘how are we to crack open Orithia when thousands of our men before us could not?’

Nerandil walked over to the hololith and brought up a 3D rendering of Orithia. ‘Tell me do any of you see any weaknesses?’

‘No, we have already gone over the bastions plans. There are no substantial weaknesses in the defences our forces could exploit brother,’ said Leon as he looked over the plans again in case he had miss something his brother had noticed.

‘Are you sure?’

‘We are sure Lord Nerandil - if you have something to share then please,’ Lord Meric said bluntly.

‘As you wish,’ Nerandil smirked. ‘Look to the west flank.’

‘The west?’ asked Meric incredulously.

‘Yes my Lord Meric, the western flank.’

‘But that flank is dominated by a mountain with sheer cliffs that are infested by bunkers, artillery pieces and anti-air. And that’s not even including mounted weaponry or infantry - our armies would be slaughtered to the last man before we even closed on the cliffs,’ he continued.

‘And therein lies the problem my lord Meric, you are thinking too large, which is understandable when you both have been waging war with thousands under your command but still, it is a handicap to your strategic planning - I propose we along with a company of shock troopers move on the western flank under the cover of darkness.’

‘And what about the cliffs my brother?’ Leon asked intrigued by Nerandils plan.

‘We scale them, equipped with grapplers we should be able to ascend them under three hours.’

‘And the ungodly amount of weaponry aiming at our heads?’ Meric queried.

‘Fearno, will launch a concerted attack with our forces on the other flanks, busying the enemy while a flight of stealth bombers approach Orithia’ southern side and begin a bombing run to confuse the enemy even more. This will hopefully give us an opening to reach the cliffs,’ Nerandil expounded.

‘A feint within a feint, I like it brother but one more thing,’ Leon said, shifting his gaze from the hololith to meet Nerandils gaze.

‘What is it brother?’ 

‘How are we going to gain entry into Orithia?’

‘Ah’ he smiled ‘we’re going to blow a hole into it of course.’

The moon was closing on its apex when the cliff faces finally came into Leon’s view, they soared high into the sky and were as imposing as the great depths of the seas; dotted with bunkers carved into their giant flanks, they stood impenetrable by conventional means. But they had not accounted for his brother’s genius and so were found wanting. ‘We are nearly there,’ Leon said to Nerandil.

‘I know brother. Please go and make sure the men are ready. We have no room for error here Leon’ Nerandil told him firmly.

‘Do not worry brother’ said Leon placing a hand on his shoulder as he turned to leave. ‘I will remind the men what is expected of them.’

‘My thanks brother.’ Leon heard Nerandil say as he left the bridge down into the deployment bay where the first and second squads of shock troopers went over their final preparations. ‘Commander, are the men ready to the deploy?’ questioned Leon as he clambered down the ladder onto the floor below.

‘Yes Lord Leon,’ replied Commander Veltrae. ‘I have contacted the senior sergeants on the accompanying ships and they’re all reporting full readiness’ he said as he made way for Leon to get past him. The commander was young but accomplished despite his age and showed great potential for the upper echelons of command. Leon had chosen him for this mission to test his flexibility in war because when their expedition into the void finally launches, Nerandil will need competent and adaptable commanders by his side.

‘Good,’ Leon said, striding through the cramped corridor; his boots clanking on the metal floor. ‘Where is the Lord Meric? Has he prepared his men also?' he queried the commander.

‘He’s also in the deployment bay lord, and I have been assured that his men are ready to deploy on Lord Nerandil’s order,’ replied Commander Veltrae as he tried to keep up with Lord Leon’s long strides.

‘Alright, tell the men we are deploying in five Commander,’ ordered Leon as he entered the bay and sought out Meric.

Stopping at the entrance Captain Veltrae saluted ‘Yes my lord’ and turned on his heel heading towards where the shock troopers stood ready. Leon found the lord Meric looking through the viewing slots on the ship's flanks, armed and armoured from head to toe. His unique power armour increased the beast’s already prodigious stature, but what really caught Leon’s eye was the bulky pistol holstered at his hip and the two metre greatsword strapped to his back.

I’m glad we didn’t have to fight this man thought Leon as he approached Meric.

‘Lordling, are we deploying now?’ asked Meric as he took his eyes from the viewing slot.

‘Aye we are, my brother sent me to check on the final preparations,’ he explained. ‘Now come, we have a battle to prepare for’ Leon waved Meric towards the front of the deployment bay.

‘And where is Lord Nerandil? I don’t see him,’ asked Meric.

Before he could reply, Nerandil strode into the bay and answered him ‘I am here lord Meric, do not worry yourself.’ Immediately the troopers and Commander Veltrae sank to one knee and bowed their heads to their Lord-King. Even Meric' own troopers fell to their knees; the awe of Nerandil in his full war panoply weighing too heavily on them.

Smirking Meric replied ‘I wasn’t’ and walked to the front of the bay alongside Leon. Bowing his head when his brother stopped beside him Leon asked ‘Are you ready?’

‘Always,' said Nerandil with the self-assurance of a man born to fight. Then the bay darkened, the lights blinking out and every one of the assembled stormtroopers raised from their knees and stood arrayed in their midnight black armour. Their quiet breathes and the slow bumping of waves crashing against the hull the only noise Leon could hear.

Seconds passed on and Leon prepared himself, setting his legs to sprint and gripping his pistol just a bit more tighter. Then the bay doors slammed open onto the soft sand of Orithia and he launched himself onto the beach, kicking up sand as he made all haste to the cliff faces nearly two hundred meters away. Sprinting beside him, Meric and the company of troopers ran onwards with Commander Veltrae firmly reminding his sergeant's to keep unit cohesion during their insertion.

The stealth bombers had successfully made it over the island bastion unobserved and announced their presence with the deafening roar of tonnes of detonating explosives. It took a few moments before anti-air tracers sawed through the sky towards the flight of bombers but it was already too late and another payload was dropped on to the southern flank smashing apart ramparts and artillery emplacements. The damage done was impressive and provided the perfect cover for the company as they ran across the beach to the cliff faces.

Leon saw Nerandil close on the cliff before they were even halfway, he had his head raised; watching the bunkers dotting the cliff for any sign they had been spotted. Leon didn't bother himself to do the same, he trusted his brother to warn him if they were ever. And as they ran he saw Nerandil hold up a hand; instantly everyone stopped in place, slowly lowering themselves into the sand. ‘I can hear them' Leon heard Nerandil say over the vox. ‘Move forward, but keep your heads down.’ Leon let out a breath of relief then signalled for them to move again with a swift swipe of the hand.

Eventually, they made it to the cliff, hugging it so as to avoid the bunkers line of sight. Leon quietly made his way to his brother who stood with his back against the cliff, looking into the sky. ‘Alright, ready grapplers quickly the bombers will be forced away soon,' he ordered over the vox.

Leon passed the order on and watched as the company grabbed their grapplers from their backpacks and prepared them. He nodded with satisfaction and readied his own before Nerandil gave the order ‘Fire’. The company of shock troopers launched their grapplers to claw at the cliff face. Most of them found purchase on or in the rocky face but some fell back down and those whose did, helped their fellow troopers tether their cables then retreated back to the boats to await new orders. ‘Lord Nerandil, where’s your grappler?’ he heard Meric vox, as he tethered his cable to his waist.

‘Meric, you’ll soon learn my brother isn’t like us when it comes to strength,’ Leon answered for his brother.

Grinning underneath his helmet Nerandil said to Meric ‘My lord Meric, you’re sounding awfully worried’

With a grunt, Meric replied ‘You sound like your brother my Lord' and began his ascent up the cliff face. Nerandil watched him and his men climb, waiting for the last one before he quietly gripped the rocks that protruded from the cliff and begun his climb.

The cliff was still shaking from the bombing run, even though the stealth bombers had retreated back ten minutes earlier, and regrettably lead to the death of three of his troopers whose grappling claws had been dislodged when the rock finally gave way under the force of the explosives above. Another two in Leon's command also lost their lives to the cliff as boulders of rock fell and crushed them on the sandy beach below. It was a treacherous climb but the men despite their losses continued on with a dogged determination that Meric could admire.

And by the time half an hour had passed Meric stopped in his ascent, finally spotting a bunker slot.  Silently he signalled the find to Nerandil and waited as the giant made his way over to Meric with hands clutching at rocks that should have broken beneath his weight or at least been dislodged by it.

‘A bunker lord,’ he said as Nerandil settled by him, hands and feet lodging themselves into the rock.

‘Good eyes my lord Meric,’ said Nerandil as he saw the opening in the cliff face Meric had spotted. ‘Commander Veltrae’ he called across the vox.

‘Yes my lord?’ Veltrae answered.

‘Bring a charge across and have one of the squad's place it on the lower portion of that opening,’ Nerandil ordered his Commander, pointing at the bunker’s viewing slot.

‘It will be done lord,' Veltrae replied, quickly. switching frequency to vox for third squad to move up and place their charge. As they were doing so, Leon heard one of his men spot another nearby.

‘Nerandil, we have another,' he reported back to his brother. ‘About two hundred metres to our right'

‘Good news then brother,' he voxed back. ‘Take your command to the bunker - arm and place a charge then wait for my word.’ Splitting his forces was a risk but it allowed them to deploy into the bunkers simultaneously as a two-pronged assault. One prong lead by Leon will sow chaos into the ranks, while Nerandil and Meric will lead the other upwards into the levels above to find and eliminate Fortunus.

‘Yes my lord,' said Leon as he called his men to him and waved them to the bunker two hundred metres away. 

Nerandil watched the troopers and Leon untether themselves from their cables and start placing anchors into fissures in the cliff face, they had been specifically trained to do so when he first devised the plan to take Orithia. ‘Guess I’m with you lord Nerandil.’ he heard Meric say through the vox.

‘You guess correctly lord Meric, I will have need of your sword if we are to reach Fortunus,’ said Nerandil as he saw a trooper from third squad start to place the DDC (Directional Demolition Charge) on the bottom of the bunkers viewing slot. 

‘As long as I get Fortunus, you can use my sword as you see fit,’ replied Meric with a bit more venom than he planned to let out.

Noticing the change in Meric' voice, Nerandil couldn't help but ask ‘What is this grudge you hold against him, Lord?’

Meric sighed at the question as he relaxed himself back into the cliff and said ‘Because, in one of his many raids on my lands, that bastard Fortunus murdered my wife and daughter, two innocents of war, in a petty act against me’ he paused taking a deep breath and continued ‘That is why I want Fortunus’ head, my Lord Nerandil, because he killed my family.’

‘I see, I am sorry for your loss, Meric. One day you shall know peace and I have a feeling it will be very soon,’ Nerandil told Meric, reaching out a giant hand to place on his shoulder, although it nearly enveloped it.

‘Hmph, I hope so Lord, I have waited long enough,’ Meric finished; both of Lords of Odyssia fell into silence, waiting for word from Leon.

Chapter Five

It took Leon and his troopers another twenty minutes of exhausting climbing across the cliff face before they finally reached the bunker his man had spotted earlier. ‘Commander Veltrae, get one of the squads to place a charge’ he ordered still panting from the climb ‘and the rest of you stand ready to deploy’.

‘Yessir’ he heard called back to him by the Commander and his sergeants all of whom sounded just as tired as he.

Changing vox frequency Leon reported back to Nerandil. ‘Brother we’ve made it and are currently arming a charge. We will be ready in five’.

‘Good, I trust you’re not too tired from the climb brother,’ Nerandil replied slyly over the vox when he heard the rasping in his brother’s breath.

‘Not one bit brother,’ Leon called back, as he monitored the progress of the charge. The soldier carrying the charge to the bunker was obviously practiced and swiftly armed it within the minute.

‘My lords, we’re set,’ Commander Veltrae cut in.

‘Fast work Commander, you have my approval,’ said Nerandil.

‘Lord,’ he answered in reply.

‘On my count Leon. Three, two, one, detonate.’ Two great bangs of light lit the cliff, forcing loose great heaps of rubble above. In the midst of which, Leon and his men hurtled through the opening with their guns raised at the dead occupants of the room. It was a mess, blood mixed with pulverized rock and body parts sat strewn around the room like a vile interpretation of a child's playroom. ‘Squad six secure the chamber,' Leon called out. ‘The rest of you advance with me.’

As they moved towards the exit Leon heard voices shouting and motioned for everyone to stay still. He peered through the doorway and saw a squad of Fortunus' men running towards them. He made a gesture with two fingers and they rapidly filed out of the bunker into a massive hanger. Seeking whatever cover they could find the enemy squad hurriedly tried to suppress Leon and his men. But they charged out still and with some well-placed shots from Commander Veltrae and his squad, the enemy was cut down before a single casualty could be taken.

‘Great shooting Commander,’ Leon remarked as he continued to pound his way down the hanger looking for an exit.

‘Lord,’ said Veltrae too busy listening to one of his men report an exit to their left flank to say anything else. ‘We’ve got a door on our left,’ he said pointing at a solid rectangle of metal that came into view. Instantly Leon changed his course and veered to the left where it stood but as he was getting close, it slammed open and a group of burly men carrying guns ran into the hanger shouting. They loosed a couple shots, felling two of his troopers before he reached them and started carving into two of their number with his combat blade. The first he fought was killed mid-shout with a lighting fast stab through the bottom of his chin into his head. But as Leon was yanking the bloody blade out, his fellow man threw a giant meaty fist at his head snapping it back with its force. 

Stunned Leon drew back, shook his head to clear the blackness on the edge of vision and rushed back at the man. He tried slashing low, hoping to get at his opponent's leg but his arm was caught mere centimetres short of its goal. The burly man gripped his arm and twisted it forcing Leon to drop his blade, but as he did so Leon sent an explosive head butt to his nose, breaking it on the spot. 

Letting go of Leon's arm to clutch at his broken mess of a nose, Leon swiftly picked his blade back up and slammed it into the side of his opponent's head, ending him instantly. Heaving the blade out again, he looked around himself and saw his men finishing off the rest of the enemy squad. During the brawl, two more of his men had died with bullets riddling their bodies but he couldn't afford to mourn yet so he motioned for the remaining shock troopers to join him as he began to run through the maze of corridors looking for something to blow up.

Although Leon was making good progress Nerandil and Meric were having a much harder time trying to. They had emerged from their bunker into the living quarters of nearly a hundred men who had speedily collected themselves and took up positions behind up thrown beds and cabinets.

It did not matter too much though, Nerandil and Meric had rushed through the hail of bullets, and gotten into close quarters with the half-naked men and slew a great many before their troopers had picked off the rest with precision shots to the body. It was a good start to their battle but when they exited out of the living quarters into a corridor nearly a hundred meters long and half that wide, Nerandil found barricades set up with squads of Fortunus' defenders behind them.

Falling back into the living quarters again Nerandil said to Meric ‘We’re caught in a crossfire.’

‘We’ll need to advance hard and fast lord,’ Meric responded, as he took a quick glance through the doorway into the corridor.

‘There are two adjacent rooms on the right. I say we take them then move onto the closet barricade,' offered Nerandil.

‘Agreed,' Meric replied, moving out into the corridor advancing with Nerandil while first and second squads brought up the rear. The shock troopers kept up well with Nerandil's punishing pace but still lagged behind when he really sped up. Only Meric in his powered armor was able to keep up although he couldn't match it for long, but then again he didn't need long. They were already nearing the first room as Nerandil halted mid-sprint and sent a couple of shots from his gigantic pistol crashing into the soft bodies of the barricades defenders.

The shock troopers of first squad bounded pass him, moving to clear the room as second squad sent a torrent of solid shots at the barricade. They killed a couple more soldiers that peaked out of their cover but at least fifteen still stood. And as Nerandil and Meric continued their advance past the troopers to the second room, shots rang out from rifle barrels poking out of the barricade; some rattled against Nerandil’s armour but none pierced his amours thick hide. 

When they reached the second room, first squad had finished clearing the first room of a few enemy soldiers that were set to ambush them and as Nerandil looked back he saw them gunning their way past second squad towards his position. He couldn’t help but notice a few more of his troopers were lying on the ground around them dead and he took a mental note of who they were so they could be honored later when this had all come to a close.

He turned his attention back to the defenders, offering covering fire for the troopers as he waited patiently for them to scramble into the second room with Meric who was busying himself with the last soldier that remained in the room. When Nerandil saw all his men had found cover in the two rooms he finally shouldered his way through the doorway, making room as two troopers moved to replace him.

‘We can't afford to take any more casualties like that,’ he said to Meric as the giant man beheaded the enemy soldier with a large decapitating strike from his greatsword.

‘Then what do you suggest lord?’ grunted Meric as he sheathed his sword into its scabbard once more.

Pausing to think, Nerandil thought through the layout plans of Orithia he had memorised when forming his plan. There was a level beneath them that they could use to outflank the barricades but gaining access to it would be difficult. Unless he thought, ‘Sergeant do you happen to have a spare charge with you?’ he asked, gaining looks of confusions from Meric and the troopers.

‘Of course, my lord,' said the sergeant of first squad.

‘Great, I want you to place it in the middle of the floor and arm it sergeant,' Nerandil ordered him. After a moment of uncertainty, the sergeant relayed the orders back to his squad.

‘Lord, what is it that you’re planning?’ quizzed Meric, wondering what a hole in the floor would do for the battle they were currently engaged in.

‘My lord Meric, I’m attempting to gain access to the level below us,’ answered Nerandil as he watched the shock troopers arm the charge.

‘And why are we going backwards lord? Meric asked, still not grasping Nerandil’s plan.

‘Because my lord Meric, there is elevator shafts that we can access to not only reach the higher levels above but also to outflank our would be cagers’ said Nerandil.

‘Hm alright’ Meric backed up against the far wall as he prepared himself for the blast. The troopers arming the charge finished and hurried towards the wall where lord Meric had positioned himself.

‘On my word,’ Nerandil told the sergeant, as he noticed the two troopers covering the door crouch low but still keeping up their fire. ‘detonate' and with a boom that made the room shudder with the explosive power, the charge blew a hole in the floor wide enough for Nerandil to fit through. The troopers collected themselves and approached the whole with lord Meric.

‘Right,' said Nerandil looking at the sergeant, ‘I need your squad and the Lord Meric to go down. There will be an elevator shaft about two hundred meters trailing away to the north. Gain access to it and take it up one level then manoeuvre yourselves into position behind the furthest barricade,’ he ordered.

‘Yes my lord,’ said the sergeant as he and the shock troopers begun to tether a cable and lower themselves down the hole.

‘And what about you my lord?’ queried Meric as he waited for the shock troopers to finish lowering themselves down.

‘I will follow you down also but I will be advancing to the south elevator shaft to outflank the closer barricade’ Nerandil answered Meric. ‘Oh also sergeant,’ said Nerandil turning from Meric to first squad’s sergeant ‘inform the rest of the men in the living quarters and neighbouring room of our plan and that they are to hold their ground while we execute it.’

‘Of course lord,' acknowledged the sergeant. Giving a curt nod to Meric, Nerandil moved off waiting for a shock trooper to reach the bottom before jumping down through the hole without even a second thought. His powerful physique able to handle the humongous shock, Nerandil hit the ground and rolled with the momentum to spring into a run in one swift action. As he ran through the maze-like corridors despatching any enemy soldiers he came across, Nerandil thought about Anya and what she would be doing right now. Probably doing her hair he smiled. It was a nice reprieve from reality whenever he thought of Anya during times like these but like always he didn’t let it distract him and as he was about to turn into another corridor he noticed shadows ranging against a wall.

He didn’t let up any of his speed as he rounded the corner, two men dressed like officers were walking towards him and before the shock of Nerandils approach reached their faces, he quickly grabbed them by their necks and snapped them. Precise and brutal. Their bodies had barely hit the ground before he entered the elevator shaft and made his way up.

It took no less than ten seconds before he arrived at the level the barricade was on, and before he could be noticed he ran cautiously to the barricade. But by the time the backs of his unsuspecting prey came into view, Meric and first squad had already begun to attack their objective and Nerandil saw the confused looks as the enemy soldiers watched as their fellows were killed and shot in the back; some smartly started to look behind themselves but by then it was too late and Nerandil crashed into the men, breaking bones and slashing off limbs. Within a scare few seconds, the enemies soldiers were all lying dead on the ground with their life's blood seeping out of their bodies.

Wiping the blood off his hands, Nerandil watched as Meric and first squad moved through the barricade, having killed its defenders, and gathered up the rest of the men who jogged towards him. ‘Quick work lord Meric,’ he said as Meric approached.

‘I was getting bored lord,’ replied Meric with a wicked grin across his face.

‘I can tell' said Nerandil, seeing all the blood that soaked the man's armour. ‘But now it's time to march on Fortunus' throne room. We have access to the elevator shafts so we'll take them up, but before we do, we need to link up with Leon and his men.’

‘As you wish lord but I’m growing impatient,’ said Meric his grin growing wider.

Chapter Six

‘My lord, I have contact from Lord-King Nerandil. He’s ordered us to join him and Lord Meric, they have gained access to the elevator shafts and are preparing to storm the throne room. Lord-King Nerandil wants you there,’ called Captain Veltrae as rounds hammered into his cover.

‘We'll destroy the reactor before we join my brother,' Leon called back as he leaped over a command console and ducked into a small alcove in the wall.

‘Yes my lord,’ acknowledged Veltrae, popping out of his cover to send off a few rounds towards the reactor’s defenders. They had surprised their enemy with their presence, probably thinking that all the assailants were somewhere else, but still they were proving to be a troublesome lot. And as Leon and Veltrae tried to push their way through the reactor’s defences more of Leon’s shock troopers were lost in the exchanges of fire. 

Sustaining so many losses had slowed their advance and Captain Veltrae was beginning to wonder if they would even make it to Lord-King Nerandil. But as soon as his troubled thoughts came, they were instantly forgotten as Veltrae saw Leon push further into the reactor chamber and begin to engage the defenders by himself. Veltrae quickly yelled out ‘With lord Leon boys!’ before he swiftly leaped his cover and sprinted into the close combat at full tilt. He shouldered aside a scrawny looking man as he barged into the defenders then shot him in the head and unsheathed his combat blade to slice open another man's neck.

With blood pouring everywhere, Veltrae looked about him for Lord Leon and spotted him battling against three big men carrying knives. He had to punch, slice and shoot his way through the scrum of men to reach his lord. But by the time he got close, Leon had already killed off two of his assailants but had been disarmed and was being forced back by the third who swung his knife at the weaponless lord. Before the third assailant could get a lucky strike in, Veltrae stood stock still and shot him in the back of his head blowing out the man’s brain matter onto the nearby wall.

‘Thank you, Captain,' recognized Leon as he made his way to the reactor's control console. ‘Looks like we won’t be able to disable it on here, without it being easily switched back on' Leon told him as their men continued on with the intense battle.’

‘Gonna have to blow it up then Lord. We still have seventh squad’s charge,’ Veltrae said already guessing what lord Leon would ask next.

‘Good, get seventh to arm their charge then we move off to my brother’s location,’ Leon ordered, heading back to one of the dead men he had killed and picking out his combat blade before charging back into the battle as soon as it left the dead bodies neck.

‘Yes sir,' Veltrae saluted and barked the new orders to the men, ‘Seventh I want your charge placed and armed on that reactor in five. Sixth, Eighth, Ninth and Tenth give them cover and prepare to move once Seventh's charge has been armed'. A series of strained ‘Yessir's,’ were called back to Veltrae from his senior sergeants as they relayed the orders to their squads despite being in the middle of combat.

When Veltrae saw Seventh break off from the combat, he charged alongside Lord Leon to close the gap they had left in their line. A collection of enemy soldiers still stood, and Veltrae with his troopers and lord, cut and bludgeoned them down till the last breath of life left their bodies. But not before one sent a wild shot hurtling into his breast-plate, knocking the air from his lungs. ‘Bloody bastard,’ he coughed, bringing his own pistol up and shooting the man through the chest.

‘Are you alright Captain?’ queried Leon as he saw Veltrae clutching at his breast.

‘Yes Lord, just a bit bruised that's all,' he answered ‘Don't worry my Lord.’

‘As you wish Captain,’ said Leon as he moved away from the dead bodies collected around him.

Veltrae examined the room, a score of his men laid dead and dying, the Medic was trying his best to keep them alive but their injuries were too great and soon they all fell still. It made him sad seeing his dead men; men he had commanded for years but he couldn't let it distract him now and as he walked to seventh squad the sergeant reported their status. ‘Captain we'll be ready in two.’

Veltrae nodded his acknowledgment and walked back to where Lord Leon stood. ‘My lord, we'll be ready to leave in one,’ he relayed back the report.

‘Great, I can’t wait for this to finally be over,’ Leon told Veltrae in a random act of confession brought about by the exhaustion they were all suffering from.

‘Me too, my lord,’ Veltrae said unable to think of anything else but the pain from his bruises.

Moving back to the console Leon leaned back on it and sighed ‘Will you be joining the expedition to the void when the war has come to a close?’

The question took Veltrae off guard but he answered truthfully ‘No my lord I won’t be.’

‘A shame Commander, we could have used your skill if we ever run into anything unfriendly out there' Leon said smiling. ‘But if you don't mind me asking, why? It will be one of the greatest moments in Odyssia' history and every man, woman and child would die to be a part of it. So why not you?’

Veltrae didn't expect to be talking to Lord Leon about this kind of subject, especially now but he answered dutifully anyway, ‘Because I have a family that needs taking care of back in the capital and I can't do that when I'm away exploring the depths of the void, as great as that would be.’

‘Hm.' Leon seemed to contemplate his answer and as a few moments passed he said ‘What if I could have your family accompany you into the void?’

‘My lord? You would do that for me?’ said Veltrae bewildered by his Lord’s words.

‘Of course Commander, you said you couldn’t go because of your duty to your family, something I can respect greatly, but if I brought them along with you then theoretically you could come. Besides you’re one of our most accomplished commanders. So accomplished in fact that my brother has planned to promote you to General when this mission is completed,’ revealed Leon with a broad smile as he saw the befuddled look on his Commander’s face.

Dropping to one knee Veltrae said ‘My lord, thank you for your generosity but are you sure?’

‘Yes of course I am Veltrae, now rise and we shall talk more upon our return to the Capital. But for now, it is time to leave,' said Leon noticing the troopers of seventh backing away from their armed charge.

‘Brother,’ Nerandil observed Leon jogging at the head of his men alongside Commander Veltrae, ‘Are you ready for the last push?’

‘Always was,' said Leon as he gripped arms with Nerandil and Meric in greeting. ‘But before we commit, there's something that needs to be taken care of' looking at Commander Veltrae he said ‘Detonate' and the Commander signalled the charge to explode. Like a massive earthquake Orithia was shook to the foundations as the reactor's energy was released into the air and after a few minutes of inconsistent shaking Meric asked ‘Was that Orithia' reactor?' astonished.

‘Felt like it,’ Nerandil said impressed by his brother’s prowess. ‘Now I know why so little of you have returned,’ he acknowledged Leon’s men with a curt nod of his head, which they all reciprocated. ‘But now it’s time to battle again,’ Nerandil said as he moved into the elevator. They were large and spacious to allow for the rapid deployment of defending companies throughout Orithia and as his men moved in they barely took up any space. ‘Hope this thing doesn’t get called half way up or we might have a problem,’ Meric said as he entered.

‘It won’t Lord Meric.’ Nerandil assured him ‘ I have rigged it to only stop at the top level, all we have to do now is wait.’

When Meric exited the elevator into the receiving hall leading to Fortunus' throne room, he was instantly soaked in shots from entrenched defenders. The rounds pinged off his armor as he rushed forward to the giant white pillars that lined the hall. Shards of white marble sprayed everywhere as the enemies fire shifted, trying to kill Meric as he slammed into the pillar's cover.

Leon wasn’t far behind him and he soon crashed alongside Meric, popping off shots as his targets revealed themselves to him. Their shock troopers were just ahead making good ground as they tried to keep up with Nerandil’s unrelenting advance, but soon even they were forced into cover as the torrent of shots ripped through their ranks.

Meric knowing the troopers wouldn’t last long underneath such a barrage of fire, charged out with Leon and Commander Veltrae on his heels and sprinted to the next pillar, hosing down the defenders as they went. ‘Where’s Lord Nerandil?’ Meric heard Veltrae yell as he ducked back behind cover as the defenders retaliated.

‘Do not trouble yourself with my brother Commander, he will be ahead' Leon answered. And as if Nerandil had heard Leon, Meric saw Lord Nerandil or at least the blur of him barrel through the barricades and start to lay about the defenders with his giant pistol. Seeing their opportunity, the company and commanders once again pounded out of their positions, passing pillars and leaping the defences to cannon into the enemy forces alongside their Lord-King.

‘We are nearly there lord Meric,’ noted Nerandil as he saw his shock troopers, Leon and Meric join him in the battle.

‘I know Lord, I can smell that bastard from here,’ yelled Meric as he swung his sword to cleave a man in two.

Soon the two giants were cutting a swathe through the enemy ranks, allowing the shock troopers to overwhelm the defenders and within minutes, the Lords of Odyssia followed by their dutiful men were stepping past the broken and torn apart bodies of the defenders to the throne room. When Meric drew close to the throne rooms doors he saw Nerandil standing in front of them and approached him ‘He's in there. I can hear him, he's scared,' Nerandil told Meric as he moved aside.

‘And he’s all mine,’ said Meric grinning as his giant metal boot raised and sent the doors of the throne room flying inwards. Panicked screams answered him as he walked through, his imposing stature and ice cold gaze cowering many of Fortunus’ aides, although two soldiers hidden amongst them charged at him with bayonets lowered. Still walking Meric whipped his pistol out and shot the first soldier in the heart then swung his blade, splitting the second soldiers head in two. They both dropped simultaneously as Meric stared unblinkingly at Fortunus who sat shaking in his throne.

‘Fortunus!’ screamed Meric as he prowled closer to his prey. ‘I told you I would be there when you died.’ Meric’ voice dropped to in a low bone-chilling tone.

‘I will not die cowering before the likes of you Meric!’ Fortunus tried to shout back but a crack in his voice gave him away.

Smiling with a predators grin Meric padded his way up the throne steps and looked upon the weak, weaselling man who had somehow risen to become a lord, with utter contempt. ‘You are not worthy to be a Lord of Odyssia or even a man born of her' Meric spat. ‘So lets correct that mistake.’ And before Fortunus could voice a retort at Meric, he plunged his blade into the little mans stomach until the hilt stopped it from going any deeper. 

Fortunus struggled for a few moments, gripping at the blade and coughing up blood but as Meric watched, he saw the life leave his eyes and heard the breath leave his body. Meric sighed as he left his blade still impaled in the body to sit down onto the steps of the throne, remembering his tired and achy body. He noticed Nerandil, Leon and Commander Veltrae had moved in and were securing the room as the shock troopers took defensive positions outside it, ready for any soldiers who stayed loyal to Fortunus.

‘My lord Meric,’ called Nerandil ‘I see you’re vengeance was a swift and terrible one’ noting the dead body slumped on Meric’ giant sword.

‘It was lord,' he said looking back at his sword in Fortunus' stomach ‘I want to thank you for what you have given me' Meric said as he stood to face the demigod, ‘You have honoured your word and our agreement to the fullest and I am grateful for that as well but I must make another demand of you before I honour mine.’

Nerandil stopped in front of Meric, his face showing no sign that the words he had said angered or even slightly bothered him. ‘And what is this demand my lord Meric?’ he asked passively.

Meric walked down the steps to where Nerandil stood, then in an action none would have thought possible from the beast of Odyssia, he kneeled before Nerandil. ‘I wish to pledge my service to you and join your dream of a united Odyssia,’ Meric said with hard-earned admiration and respect. ‘Do you accept?' he asked, looking up into Nerandil' liquid gold eyes.

Nerandil paused for a second and shot a hand out in front of Meric, ‘I accept your pledge Lord Meric, now rise,’ he said gratefully.

Gripping the proffered hand, Meric got to his feet and shouted ‘Lord! King!' in salute and Nerandil bowed in acknowledgment of this great warrior.

‘It seems now that you are a brother-in-arms of mine,’ said Leon as he joined the pair, slapping Meric on the back.

‘Don't push it' laughed Meric, ‘I ho-' he didn't get to finish his sentence as they were all knocked from their feet as a flash of bright golden light, lit up the throne room. ‘What the hell was that?' Leon said rising to his feet and looking for his brother. 

‘Him’ he heard Nerandil say slightly louder than a whisper.

‘Him? Who?’ grunted Meric as he picked himself up.

‘Him,’ repeated Nerandil.

‘Who my lo-’ Meric stumbled on his words as he witnessed a figure radiating golden light walk towards them.

Nerandil stood stock still as the figure approached him, it would have been a wonder to see this demigod awestruck, had Meric not been also. ‘Who are you?' Leon heard Nerandil ask with more emotion than he had heard from his brother in his entire life.

The figure stopped before Nerandil and the orb of light Leon assumed was its head, moved to regard both him and Meric before finally resting its gaze on Nerandil. To Leon it seemed as though the figures head almost nodded in approval of something but before he could look any deeper into the light, a voice of pure silk, at last, answered his brother's question ‘I am your father Nerandil and I have come to bring you home.’

I've only had the time to read the first three chapters, but will happily offer my thoughts on what I read. I'm liking the story and the direction you're taking, excellent work so far.

The boy, Leon could make out now, stepped from the ruins of his hut holding Anya gently in his arms, not once taking his eyes from her even as his mother limped over to him and slowly took Anya away. When she moved away from the boy, cradling and kissing Anya, the firelight around them revealed a boy no older than sixteen seasons. He had suntanned skin like his own, straight black hair that angled to the left of his scalp and the face of a noble to be. But it was the eyes, or whatever they, of the boy that stood out from his perfect features. Two orbs of pure unaltered gold seemingly flowed in place of where his eyes should have been. Yet despite their alienness, Leon felt calm as though just witnessing them soothed the uneasiness he had felt just before.

In terms of established in-universe lore, the primarchs were stolen when they were infants. There's a scene where Horus is reminiscing over the sight of his brothers and wonders how things could have been different if they had grown up with the Emperor's guidance. It thus seems a bit jarring to me for Nerandil to be so developed when he first arrives upon Oddysia. That's not to say that this is impossible, by any means, but perhaps you could explain this further in the text?It doesn't need to be explained when Nerandil is first introduced, but it would be good to elaborate on his age at some point. As we all know, the warp can cause all kinds of shenanigans - maybe he aged extra fast while in the warp?

Hearing a decision being reached, the leader of Nerandil's personal honor guard, Fearno, dropped to his knee and bellowed ‘Lord!’ - an action which was reciprocated and answered by the rest of the meeting as they boomed ‘King!’ in reply. It was a tradition Leon had insisted upon and one that Nerandil was humbled by, because he knew what it represented. Loyalty, the one principle he would never betray.

I sense some definite foreshadowing here! This was a great passage, I liked it a lot. You get a sense of the Oddysian martial culture, gain a bit of insight into Nerandil's humility, and get a sense of what might happen down the line.

The conversation between Leon and Meric was a good insert, but it could perhaps be a little bit deeper. Maybe expand as to what Leon wants to get out of his service to Nerandil, and what Meric's self-stated goals are?

Looking forward to reading the next chapters ASAP.

Thanks brother! :smile.: I always appreciate your help and in regards to Nerandils age I always thought some of the Primarchs had aged more than others while in the warp but that might just be bad memory on my part.

I sense some definite foreshadowing here! This was a great passage, I liked it a lot. You get a sense of the Odyssian martial culture, gain a bit of insight into Nerandil’s humility, and get a sense of what might happen down the line.

I have no idea what are you’re talking about...

The conversation between Leon and Meric was a good insert, but it could be perhaps a little bit deeper. Maybe expand as to what Leon wants to get out of his service to Nerandil, and what Meric’s self-stated goals are?

Hm I always thought that as well especially concerning Leon’s back ground, but in regards to Meric, I do go more into depth about his motives and goals but I’m still not sure about them since they’re so mediocre. It’s something I’m definitely looking to improve :smile.:

As always Tarvek I appreciate your criticism and love that you enjoy some of my story lol

Archived