The Midnight Brotherhood - Night Lords Warband

Athrillay vylas, bit of a long time lurker but recently made an account on B&C. I started playing back in 3rd edition when I was a teenager and started with Night Lords (back when we were the poster boys for Chaos). I moved onto Dark angels after and then stopped sometime around 4th. Came back in 5th/6th and did Cadian shock troops and then stopped again, came back in 7th and was fed up of the rules bloat so stopped again and sold off my Cadians.

Really liked what I saw with 8th so I came back again but decided to come back to my first love which was Night Lords. I'm almost at the end of reading the omnibus and absolutely loving it so far, any recommendations on what to read next?

Here is my warband so far called the Midnight Brotherhood. I'm slowly working on fluff for them but I hope you enjoy what you see. I've only got a handful of marines, Raptors and a defiler left to do before it's fully painted. As I finish more stuff I'll add it here and in my gallery, if you have any questions on how I did something or painted anything feel free to ask!

Stand in Midnight Clad brothers.

Varlek and his warband hail back from the times of the Horus Heresy, as veterans of the Long War the Midnight Brotherhood seeks to spread terror and show the Imperium once again the meaning of dominance through fear. Since the opening of the Calcatrix Maledictium these Night Lords are in their element more than ever, carving out an empire in the black distant reaches beyond the great rift.

Varlek - Warband Leader
A cunning yet adept warlord. Varlek adopted his Primarch's way of war of compliance through fear and is touched with gifts of visions and foresight through the geneseed of his Primarch, he leads the Midnight Brotherhood in their conquest to terrorise the Imperium and bring it to it's knees.

DSC 0407

DSC 0408

When a deep incursion is required of critical importance, Varlek dons his own suit of Indomitus Terminator Armour to strike with his Terminator bodyguard. The armour was scavenged and stripped from an Ultramarine Captain that Varlek slew on a daring raid aboard an Astartes Strike Cruiser near Dracor VII.

DSC 0419

DSC 0420

Draven - Leader of the Raptor Contingent

Draven is leader of the Midnight Brotherhood's Raptor contingent. To Draven the hunt is an addiction which he relishes, feeding upon his enemies fear like a soothing drink right before his warp infused claws shred his prey to pieces.

DSC 0409

DSC 0410

The Night Screamers - Raptor contingent

Led by Davnax, the Night Screamers shock and terrorise their foes through amplified vox screams and blazing salvoes of plasma.

DSC 0422

Dagon - Company Duellist and Champion

Dagon is the Midnight Brotherhood's most gifted fighter and victor of countless duels within the warband. Despite many challenges to his authority Dagon continues maintain his position as the warband's lead duellist and leads 1st and 2nd Claw into the hunt.

DSC 0411

DSC 0412(1)

Xisuthros - Sergeant of the Claws

Xisuthros is one of the more cool and calm headed of the Brotherhood. He exudes meticulousness and exceptional strategy in ground deployments and ensures 7th and 11th Claw achieve their objectives with minimal loss. For a Night Lord Xisuthros in unusually large and brutish in his build.

DSC 0413

DSC 0414

The Silent Death - Warband Terminator Elite

Champion Lorcan leads his veteran battle brothers as the personal bodyguard of Varlek, known as the 'Silent Death' due to their unflinching and uncompromising advance as they wreck enemy entrenched positions from behind.

The warband scavenged these suits of armour with relatively little battle damage to them through Varlek's cunning on a raid against an Ultramarine Battle Barge. By blowing a critical section of the ship away where the Ultramarine terminators were. the terminators were stranded and separated in the void of space while Davnax and the Raptor contingent bled them to death like vultures attacking their prey, picking away at them until they were lifeless husks.

DSC 0421

Malgar 'the Crazed' - Ex-warband leader

Malgar 'the Crazed' was once the Brotherhood's leader, yet lost his sanity to Khorne after leaving the door of his soul open too long. Mortally wounded by Valrek in an honour duel, Malgar was interred into a Dreadnought as a tool to be let loose like a rabid beast of terror against the Brotherhood's enemies. His corruption to Khorne warped his Dreadnought chassis into a wonder of terror and fleshmetal.

DSC 0415

DSC 0416

Talodon - Revered Ancient

Talodon was Varlek's second in command but dealt a grievous blow during the Horus Heresy from an Imperial Fist Captain. To preserve his life he was interred into a Dreadnought. Talodon embraced his new chassis as a vehicle of destruction to terrorise and flay his enemies and had the ship's artificers and servitors fit a scourge to enchance this further.

DSC 0417

DSC 0418

Once serfs...

Once human, what remains of these serfs is a sorry mess through psychological, physical and mental torture and the effects of exposure to the warp. They are used an example by the Midnight Brotherhood to keep the ship's serfs in line.

DSC 0423

DSC 0424

The Midnight Claw - Transport

The Midnight Claw has been utilised by the Midnight Brotherhood for centuries and used in shock and ambush strikes on surface raids.

DSC 0425

DSC 0426

1st Claw - 'Hand of Night'

The 1st Claw comprises of Champion Ezrak and his chosen 'Hand of Night'. Veterans of the Horus Heresy, Ezrak aspires to be esteemed by his battle brothers and covets Varlek's position.

DSC 0431

2nd Claw - 'Soul Eaters'

Savarak leads his chosen 'soul eaters' of the 2nd Claw in long-standing rivalry against Ezrak, well known for his exceptional cruelty and brutal fighting style.

DSC 0430

7th Claw - Veteran Astartes

The 7th Claw are Veterans of the long war accustomed to ambush and battlefield tactics, utilising the environment around them to strike fear at just the right moment.

DSC 0427

11th Claw - Veteran Astartes

11th Claw works closely with the 7th Claw to spread fear and panic into enemy lines, often playing games with their opponent's like children's toys

DSC 0428

Claw of Orazio - Astartes Devastators

When heavy support is required by the Claws the Brotherhood calls upon Orazio and his squad of heavy bolters to inflict brutal firepower upon the enemy

DSC 0429

• 2 weeks later...

The 25mm bases always irritated me so I embarked on a mass rebasing project to 32mm. I've done my whole army to 32mm and it looks much better, relatively easy to do as well.

I also painted the white skull face paint onto a variety of my marines to give the force more variety and character, still got some that are not white and just a normal blue helm as I think Night Lords will have a mix.

gallery_104427_14785_1299431.jpg

gallery_104427_14785_1278366.jpg

Heh still got some Marines, cultists, raptors and a defiler to do so plenty to go yet! Another wIP on the cultists, they are pretty much done. Just gotta highlight some metal and do the bases,

I went for the palest skin I could since Night Lords serfs and slaves work on pitch black ships with no light apart from consoles and lamp packs.

gallery_104427_14785_83836.jpg

Archived