Fluff lesson

UniWolf

Anyone read the fluff in the new kill team reiver box? I've seen some bits on the internet that stated wolf Lord ragnar blackmane choose this team from experienced reivers in his company. Indicating that primaris are already part of all the space wolves cpmpanys. Can anyone confirm if they have bought the box set?

Was going to ask about it but you beat me to it. I'm requesting for spoilers here too: any interesting fluff in the Space Wolves expansion set regarding the Fangs of Ulrich, which deals with post Cadia Space Wolves? How they're dealing with it along with Guilliman and the primaris?

I think there is a mention in "Ashes of Prospero" that the Wolves have grudgingly accepted the necessity of the Primaris reinforcements but they seem to be viewed with degree of caution by senior wolves. Logan Grimnar is concerned as he does not know if they are more or less susceptible to the curse of the Wulfen. The impression I get is that he is worried about a whole bunch of Primaris suddenly going Wulfen at a critical moment in a battle. The Wolves have had 10K years of managing the curse but they are not yet convinced that these new guys can handle it.

More importantly, they are worried that the Primaris Marines are even further removed from humanity than regular Marines.

"There was something about these new warriors (Primaris) that did not sit easily with Njal and the other senior warriors of the Chapter. The recruits were another step removed from those they protected and Grimnar had, in privacy, voiced his concerns that it might again fall to the Space Wolves to police the ambitions of their Brother-Chapters"

I have to say that this seems unfounded as Guilliman has always been one of the most human-centric of the Primarchs. Still, the Wolves have difficult memories of the disbanding of the Wolf Brothers chapter and are concerned that their genetic legacy is no longer being kept in-house.

There was a quote to do with the fluff in the kill team box that indicated the reivers could let the wulfen out of its box slightly in a fight. I just want someone who has bought the reiver kill team box to feedback, so I don't have to fork out for the box set

Not that I want to disregard your post Karhedrouk, but I've learned to take everything Gav Thorpe says with a MOUNTAIN OF SALT.

:biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:  LOL! No worries.

I didn't write the book, I merely reported its contents so no need to worry about my feelings on that account.

You are right of course and Gave has written some "questionable" fluff over the years. However, Ashes of Prospero gives us the only real view of the Wolves post-Cadia that we have seen yet. It may be ret-conned in future or the emphasis may be shifted but at the moment, it is all we have to go on.

The bit the intrigues me the most is Njal's glimpse of more Primarchs returning during his scrying. He hints fairly heavily about the Lion, Khan and Corax returning on the loyalist side while Fulgrim and Lorgar are implied for the Chaos side. Is this a real hint of what is to come or just Gav stirring up stuff for amusement?

I hope Russ comes back, does something meaningful (kills Adaddon and gets Gulliman out of a tight spot), justifying no new Adaddon model and leaving a role for Lorgar to return as a probably chaos undivided champion.

Would also like to see Russ banish a demon primarch. Grey knights banished angron so Russ should have a chance.

Do we have any full picture of any other demon primarchs being banished?

I hope Russ comes back, does something meaningful (kills Adaddon and gets Gulliman out of a tight spot), justifying no new Adaddon model and leaving a role for Lorgar to return as a probably chaos undivided champion.

Erebus is more likely as Champion of Chaos Ascendant- he hasn't become a Daemon Prince to my knowledge, meaning he has ambitions he's desperate to achieve, meaning he'll work all the more harder to please the Chaos Gods and win rewards.

Lorgar is already a Daemon Prince. He's content to remain in the Eye of Terror, watching things from afar.

Would also like to see Russ banish a demon primarch. Grey knights banished angron so Russ should have a chance.

I second that.

Do we have any full picture of any other demon primarchs being banished?

ALL OF THEM must be banished, and Russ will not rest until the Allfather's realm is secure, unlike certain brothers who were asleep on the job for 10,000 fething years.

ALL OF THEM must be banished, and Russ will not rest until the Allfather's realm is secure, unlike certain brothers who were asleep on the job for 10,000 fething years.

Anyone would need a lie-in after partying with Fulgrim. :tongue.:

So I just read through the Fangs of Ulrich booklet and big news. They specifically mention the need to control the beast within. They are affected by the Canis Helix and the curse!

glad to hear it actually. Just like the Blood Angels, the Wolves must have the Curse not just as part of their cultural identity, but as a necessary component of their gene component and ultimate conditioning, which is to control the beast, not succumb to the beast.

So I just read through the Fangs of Ulrich booklet and big news. They specifically mention the need to control the beast within. They are affected by the Canis Helix and the curse!

glad to hear it actually. Just like the Blood Angels, the Wolves must have the Curse not just as part of their cultural identity, but as a necessary component of their gene component and ultimate conditioning, which is to control the beast, not succumb to the beast.

Agreed! After reading Dark Imperium I was hoping that's what Cawl was eluding to when he said he wouldn't tamper with some of the genetic "flaws" that the BA and SW had because he believes the Emperor put them in there by design.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the 'requirements' for a successor chapter? Can a successor chapter form from the same population that form the parent chapter? In the wolves case due to the instability of out geneseed and the fenrisian grit to accept the geneseed, only fenrisians can be used, but what if a population of fenrisians were moved to inhabit a similar plant to Fenris? I could be taking out of my a$$ here but wouldn't that be a solution to our no true-successor issue (yes wolf-spear but I'm talking non-primaris). 

Only asking as want to start a mix primaries/standard marine chapter and want to write some background for the chapter. I don't know how the making of primaris differs from standard marines but I am thinking that initiates can chose (or are chosen based on the personalities) what path to go down, the more close-combat orientated 'standard wolves' or the more tactical primaris. 

Non primaris Space Wolves successors do not really work, for the reason you stated. There is no reason given why it does not work AFAIK, so we do not know if Cawl, Girlyman or someone else could have found a workaround. Since there are no  successors right now, we do not know if Logan would allow successors to recruit on the already sparsely populated Fenris.

Primaris successors apparently work. It is conceivable that some Space Wolves are temporarily or permanently transferred to the Primaris successor as advisors/leaders/backup but thinking about a reason dfor this treatment would go a long way in making that chapter come to life.

Non primaris Space Wolves successors do not really work, for the reason you stated. There is no reason given why it does not work AFAIK, so we do not know if Cawl, Girlyman or someone else could have found a workaround. Since there are no  successors right now, we do not know if Logan would allow successors to recruit on the already sparsely populated Fenris.

Primaris successors apparently work. It is conceivable that some Space Wolves are temporarily or permanently transferred to the Primaris successor as advisors/leaders/backup but thinking about a reason dfor this treatment would go a long way in making that chapter come to life.

Not sure how many primaris successors for Space Wolves there are apart from the Wolfspear mentioned in Dark Imperium. But apparently the Space Wolves themselves have been fully reinforced to either equal or more than Chapter Strength as per their Great company organisation.

I make this spoiler on my honor that I read it with my own eyes from the new 2018 codex which my FLGS store staff was letting everyone read but NOT BUY until later this weekend. You may still take with a pinch of salt until you get your own copy, but for now, I'll swear this is actual fluff and I'm not bluffing or misleading anyone.

I've had a look at the new codex, not much to add apart from what we already know: Primaris have reinforced the Wolves, for their part, the acceptance seems much more "easier" than the Dark Angels. Many Primaris despite being fully matured marines, decide to take the test of Morkai, you know, the walkbabout in the snow which all Space Wolves do when they are newly implanted with the Canis Helix. Hilariously though, "not a few" never make it back to the Fang. Meaning while most of them come back (which they should because after all, they're not neophytes but fully fledged marines surviving in the wilds of Fenris), apparently some of the Primaris marines found Fenris cold and local fauna too much to handle. Dear lord..... either that, or like the neophytes before them, the Wulfen curse overtook them.

Skub alert: Next thing we know we have a new generation of THUNDER THUNDER wolf for the Primaris to ride on. Bleargh, distasteful. Oh well, at least they had an easier time than the Dark Angels in War of Secrets.

Archived