Putrescent Vitality can be cast on Morty and Demon prince?

Bulwyf

I know I am right in this but I'm really tired of having the same argument with a fellow DG player in my local meta.

Can you cast Putrescent Vitality on both a Demon Prince and Mortarion? I thought they did not quality for the spell because they both lack the keyword infantry. The other player is saying that since both have Heretic Astartes as faction they qualify to be targets of the spell.  He keeps using it in games on Morty and DP in our area and since I refuse to let him use it on them in our games it has been not pleasant.

I don't want to be a rules lawyer but it seems kinda obvious to me that Morty and DP are excluded from this spell since it doesn't say any Death Guard unit it specifically says Death Guard INFANTRY. If you guys could weigh in on this perhaps this will finally settle the issue.

The spell's effect says it affects DEATH GUARD INFANTRY, which while Mortarion and a Daemon Prince have the DEATH GUARD keyword, they lack the INFANTRY keyword.

So no, it cannot be cast on them

Well it's VERY clearly worded and if he knows that and still keeps using it that way then he's simply a dirty cheater. No excuses for that.

I appreciate your doing due diligence but honestly this has never been a questionable issue with a grey area. I've caught people (on the forum as well) using it, and it's usually a case of the person not reading the entire card. 

Trust me I would LOVE a +1 T Mortarion. :)

You can't appreciate how frustrating it is to watch him get away with it because other guys don't play DG and just accept his word. Thank you guys for responding. Perhaps showing him (or at least his future opponents) this thread will settle the issue.

Trust me I would LOVE a +1 T Mortarion. :smile.:

That's what Epidemius is for :laugh.:

I've played against that Combo at tournaments, but just can't bring myself to use it. :)

It's really common here in the competitive scene but at least it's a -legitimate- way of getting T8. :D

Trust me I would LOVE a +1 T Mortarion. :smile.:

That's what Epidemius is for :laugh.:

I've played against that Combo at tournaments, but just can't bring myself to use it. :)

It's really common here in the competitive scene but at least it's a -legitimate- way of getting T8. :D

Yeah, I've read about it, but never tried it. I ordered Epidemius yesterday, so hopefully I'll have him for this Sunday, and I'll have enough time to test him and Morty's synergy for that apocalypse game my FLGS is doing in September

I can attest, they work very well together. Mortarion raises the tally as long as he survives and Epidemius can hide somewhere out of sight since it's no longer an AoE. When I play them together, I also have a Herald of Nurgle follow Mortarion around (as well as he can) for +1 Strength and D3 healing.

Archived