Rebuilding... CyberC1's Angels of Vengeance

CyberC1

A long time ago I had thought of building the Angels of Vengeance (because I thought black armor was the easiest to paint).  I ended up with the Dark Angels because hey, who doesn't want to be the parent chapter?  Now that I've got close to a completed 3rd company, it seemed to make sense to start transitioning back to building out the Angels of Vengeance, particularly with Primaris marine reinforcements, given how many casualties they sustained during the Massacre at Darkmor.

As the story goes - the existing marines were all promoted up to the Dreadwing and Raptorwing, thus ensuring strong first/second companies to continue hunting the fallen.  New marines, and leaders from the Dark Angels were seconded to the Angels of Vengeance to ensure continuation of their battle-line companies.

Master Hadriel, formerly of the Dark Angels, now with the Angels of Vengeance leads his company of renown:

Master Hadriel

Assisted by Codicier Itherael, testing the resolve of the new Primaris marines from Guilliman

Codicier Itherael

Interrogator-Chaplain Malthael to keep the faith

Interrogator-Chaplain Malthael

Finally Apothecary Raziel, to ensure the gene-seed continues to flourish with these new marines.

Apothecary Raziel

Apothecary Raziel

Excited to continue to build and share these guys as the journey continues!

Awesome models! The conversions, paint job and basing all come together really well.

All the robes and chest plates - are these bits or sculpted? I've not seen them before and they look really good.

Max

Hi Max -

I'm using the "Prime Legionary Bodies: Tabards" from Kromlech (http://www.kromlech.eu/EN-H5/1/140/new-releaseprime-legionaries-bodies-tabards.html), and then bases are urban rubble from Secret Weapon Miniatures.

Everything else, cobbled together from bitz ranging from Primaris upgrade sprue, to the Ravenwing upgrade sprue... :)

Cheers!

Master Hadriel and Interrogator-Chaplain Malthael brought vengeance against the plague host today.  Super fun game (list included below) - pulled off a 17-11 victory in a Maelstrom of War Mission.  Sharing some photos from the game!

Master Hadriel versus a Lord of Contagion

Master Hadriel leading the Black Knights of the Raptorwing

Angels of Vengeance against the hordes of Nurgle

Bikes versus a plagueburst crawler

Company veterans with plasma guns droppodding in

Malthael leads the AoV

2000 points total...
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Dark Angels) [67 PL, 1326pts] ++

+ HQ +

Asmodai [7 PL, 130pts]

Master [6 PL, 129pts]: Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Eye of the Unseen, Thunder hammer

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 91pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher
. 4x Intercessor: 4x Bolt rifle
. Intercessor Sergeant: Bolt rifle

Scout Squad [4 PL, 96pts]
. Heavy Weapon Scout: Missile launcher
. 3x Scout (Sniper rifle): 3x Sniper rifle
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]: 4x Scout (Boltgun)
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

+ Elites +

Company Veterans [8 PL, 147pts]
. Space Marine Veteran: Chainsword, Plasma gun
. Veteran Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-plasma

Deathwing Knights [12 PL, 250pts]
. 4x Deathwing Knight: 4x Storm shield
. Knight Master: Storm shield

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider Crusader [16 PL, 343pts]: Hunter-killer missile, 2x Hurricane bolter, Multi-melta, Storm bolter, Twin assault cannon

+ Dedicated Transport +

Drop Pod [5 PL, 85pts]: Storm bolter

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Dark Angels) [42 PL, 672pts] ++

+ HQ +

Techmarine on Bike [6 PL, 84pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Servo-arm
. Space Marine bike: Twin boltgun
. Warlord: Brilliant Strategist

+ Fast Attack +

Ravenwing Attack Bike Squad [6 PL, 128pts]
. Ravenwing Attack Bike: Multi-melta
. . Space Marine bike: Twin boltgun
. Ravenwing Attack Bike: Multi-melta

Ravenwing Black Knights [23 PL, 322pts]
. Ravenwing Black Knight: Corvus Hammer
. Ravenwing Huntmaster: Corvus Hammer
. . Black Knight Bike: Plasma Talon

Ravenwing Darkshroud [7 PL, 138pts]: Heavy bolter

++ Total: [109 PL, 1998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe
Edited by CyberC1

Nice to see another Angels of Vengeance player on the Rock, welcome Brother. Just to echo Max B your command detachment is looking great and you have used those Kromlech bits to good effect. I'll be looking forward to seeing more progress on these, for the honour of the chapter forward brother! 

Finally well done on the victory over the foul forces of corruption I have found my Black knights to be worth their weight in gold for capping and holding maelstrom objectives the combination of speed, durability and fire power when needed is so so useful. Also interesting to see a drop pod I've not used mine since the demise of 7th ed (and have another 4 unbuilt and likely to stay that way for a good long time to come:sad.: ) I'm guessing it was a veteran delivery system? 

Welcome to the Rock! Those are some great AoV you’ve got there. It’s always nice to see the successors getting some attention.

And a solid victory there :tu:

I really really liked the Asmodai and the DK in a Crusader combo.  The Dark Shroud and Techmarine trailing it made sure that the Land Raider survived throughout the game, and when they smashed into combat they did a ton of damage.  The re-rolls to hit and the +1 attack just made them ridiculous.  Additionally, the storm shields helped with their survival, though I think I would've liked to use fortress of shields a few more times (or wish that they were T5).

Thanks punk possum - your marines are leading the way on this and it's so satisfying to see the progress on your post!  Agree with your assessment of Black Knights - but i find that they get whittled down pretty fast over time, such that by the time turn 3 comes around the squad is decimated or gone.  The drop pod was 100% a veteran deployment vehicle to get close to the enemy to rapid fire the plasmas.  I think that they are situational - it was good to get linebreaker & score points for the behind enemy lines card, but not sure it nor the veterans delivered like I wanted them to in terms of destroying things.  Will likely try it out a few more times to see how it plays out.

Onward and upward!

Cheers Cyber.

I'm interested to see how the pod works out. I pretty much wrote them off as soon as I saw the index and knee jerk decided that Rhinos were a better point for effect ratio. Maybe I was too hasty, I shall be watching with interest and who knows might even dust off mine... 

I'm glad you like my contribution to the chapter there is more to come. I will finish those last few bits to complete 3rd coy and then who knows, there are so many option I still dont have, more air power?, an armored contingent? make some proper headway with the dreadwing? the list never ends!  

• 2 weeks later...

Played a 2000 point game versus Drukhari today.  Got tabled at the end of turn 4; granted I wasn't using a very competitive list either... but it reinforced the general sentiment around terminators.  Will post some hobby progress soon - currently working on a "Dreadwing" apothecary and the Champion.

Master Hadriel did a great job tearing apart a void raven with his bare hands though!

Master Hadriel is keen to take down that airplane

Dreadwing teleporting into battle

Dreadwing and the Master of the Raptorwing assaulting the Dark Eldar

Raptorwing bikes engage the enemy

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Dark Angels) [45 PL, 818pts] ++

+ HQ +

Master [6 PL, 129pts]: Jump Pack, Shroud of Heroes, Storm shield, Thunder hammer

Sammael in Sableclaw [11 PL, 216pts]

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]: 4x Scout (Shotgun)

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider Crusader [16 PL, 308pts]: 2x Hurricane bolter, Twin assault cannon

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Dark Angels) [74 PL, 1178pts] ++

+ HQ +

Techmarine on Bike [6 PL, 84pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Servo-arm
. Warlord: Brilliant Strategist

+ Elites +

Deathwing Terminators [25 PL, 432pts]
. Deathwing Sergeant: Storm Bolter & Power Sword
. Deathwing Terminator: Power fist, Storm bolter
. Deathwing Terminator: Assault cannon, Power fist
. Deathwing Terminator: Assault cannon, Power fist

+ Fast Attack +

Ravenwing Bike Squad [5 PL, 107pts]
. Ravenwing Biker: Bolt pistol, Meltagun
. Ravenwing Biker: Bolt pistol, Flamer
. Ravenwing Sergeant: Bolt pistol

Ravenwing Black Knights [23 PL, 322pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Devastators [8 PL, 95pts]: Armorium Cherub, 3x Space Marine
. Space Marine (Missile launcher): Missile launcher
. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

++ Total: [119 PL, 1996pts] ++

Sharing a few images and hobby progress.

Dreadwing on Assault

Latest game played versus the Adeptus Custodes today (newflash: it didn't go so well lol) - got knocked around pretty hard by a herd of jet-bikers & their Telemon dreadnought buddy.

Hobby progress - two more Dreadwing terminators based & primed, ready to be painted.  Gonna slap a bunch of purity seals on the champion's shoulder pad!

Work in progress Dreadwing Champion

Work in progress Dreadwing Apothecary

• 2 weeks later...

Finished up the Dreadwing Champion, and a Company Champion, but the Apothecary is still hanging out undone on my painting table...  I also got reinforced by ~15 scouts (10 bolters, 5 snipers) - great to not have to proxy them anymore in games!

Dreadwing Champion of the Angels of Vengeance

Company Champion of the Angels of Vengeance

Edited by CyberC1

• 2 weeks later...

Battalion Detachment

Played a game with the above battalion detachment (list below).  Re-supply drop versus the Deathguard.  I think reasonably close, but in the end got unlucky with a set of dice rolls and on which objectives remained at the end of the game.  A couple of learnings and takeaways though:

1. After a few games with them, I'm not sure how to fit Land Raider in a way that doesn't suck.  Normally I take a crusader, but this time went with the godhammer one and it just couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, even with the master's re-roll ones.  Brutal!
  2. I'm not convinced the librarian on a bike was the best HQ choice for the synergy with the deathwing knights (ran around casting aversion & righteous repugnance.  I continue to think that Asmodai is a better combo - and leveraging the crusader (or even better, a Stormraven) would enable Asmodai to ride shotgun with the knights
  3. Devestators vs Hellblasters - I think I'm going back to the Hellblasters, they provide better mobile coverage than the Devestators
  4. Ravenwing Bikers - I misplayed them this game and pulled them out of position, but also think I should drop the number for another black knight - plasma talons are great.

Deathguard list:

• Mortartion
  • Deathshroud
  • 2 units of plague marines
  • 1 unit of cultists
  • 1 squad of plague drone things
  • Nurglings
  • Daemon prince, three other casters
  • 2 blight drones
  • Plagueburst crawler

Turn 1: only managed to kill the nurglings, and only via close combat - which was the move that pulled my ravenwing bikers out of position.  Everything I shot wiffed hard.

Turn 2: Continued to wiff hard and miss / fail to wound... started getting wittled down by return fire from the deathguard

Turn 3: Some redemption - managed to kill off things in combat with the deathwing knights and the black knights, but they got murdered fast on the return hit. 

Turn 4: The rolling came back with a vengeance (e.g., rolling to 8 shots to hit, getting 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 4, 6 so not even getting any re-rolls, rolling 1, 2, 2 for 3+ invuln save, etc.)

Turn 5: fin.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Dark Angels) [104 PL, 1999pts] ++

+ HQ +

Librarian on Bike [8 PL, 131pts]: Force sword, Storm bolter
. Warlord: Master of Maneuvre

Master [6 PL, 129pts]: Jump Pack, Storm shield, Thunder hammer

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 90pts]: Camo cloak
. 4x Scout (Sniper rifle): 4x Sniper rifle
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle

+ Elites +

Deathwing Knights [12 PL, 255pts]: Watcher in the Dark
. 4x Deathwing Knight: 4x Storm shield
. Knight Master: Storm shield

+ Fast Attack +

Ravenwing Bike Squad [9 PL, 198pts]
. Ravenwing Biker: Chainsword, Meltagun
. Ravenwing Biker: Chainsword, Meltagun
. Ravenwing Biker: Chainsword
. Ravenwing Sergeant: Storm bolter

Ravenwing Black Knights [12 PL, 230pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Devastators [11 PL, 162pts]: Space Marine
. 4x Space Marine (Plasma Cannon): 4x Plasma cannon
. Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

Land Raider [19 PL, 356pts]: Twin heavy bolter, Twin lascannon, Twin lascannon

+ Flyer +

Ravenwing Dark Talon [8 PL, 200pts]: 2x Hurricane bolter

++ Total: [104 PL, 1999pts] ++

Yep those games can be frustrating when the dice turn on you!

I also have to really think about when to commit the RW - often holding off a turn has got me better results (Space marines love the buffs). Always situational though which make it fun/challenging to play.

The army is looking good!

• 2 weeks later...

Battalion Detachment + Outrider

Played the above army vs a Knight Castellan Imperial Soup list - unfortunately got tabled on turn 3.  Note that the land raider in the picture is actually a Stormraven...

Summary:

• Opponent took first turn and nuked the Black Knights and brought the Dark Talon down to 2 wounds - really crippled a lot of my heavy hitters up front.
  • I ended up flying my Stormraven towards the Castellan and unloaded its cargo into it (Asmodai, Deathwing Knights, Dreadnought).  They did pretty well there, killing off two Armiger Helverins, squad of guardsman, scions, and taking 24 wounds off the Castellan.
  • Unfortunately the Castellan walked out of combat, used that strategem to get to full operating mode and blasted them apart.
  • In hindsight I should've gone for the guard battery and hid the guys in combat - helping them survive and nuking his command point battery.

Thoughts for next time:

• Had a lieutenant in the stormraven, going to swap out for a company champion for more hitting power
  • Swapping the Master with Jump Pack out for a Terminator Librarian for some psychic shenanigans next time
  • Taking out the dreadnought; combining black knights from 2 squads of three to one squad of 6 and adding a ravenwing biker squad with flamers to hit screens and cap objectives.
  • I really like the Asmodai + Deathwing Knight combo - taking Asmodai as the warlord made them get Str 10 - it got a bit nuts.  The Dreadnought was also kinda ridiculous.  Fun to have around but in the end not sure it was necessary to bring along for the fight.

Superb learning experience of the importance of choosing the right targets in close combat, and also using the flyers effectively.  More to come, open to suggestions!

Deathwing Knight bomb

• 3 weeks later...

Ah - i wasn't able to fit everything behind cover or behind LOS blocking terrain (so i got a +1 to cover save for the bikes at least, but against the relic plasma decimator it doesn't really.. matter.. or the volcano lance..)

• 2 years later...

After a very long hiatus from posting and gaming, I wrapped up a short narrative story arc here with my Angels of Vengeance primarily versus Tzeentch daemons.

Take a look - I'm also planning on writing up a companion article about the crunch of the campaign vs the fluff.

https://doll-wars.com/abandoning-zeidos-secondus-narrative-story-arc/

Thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...