A question about Lion and the Wolf Stratagem

Orkinstein

What about DA Company Champion or Deathwing Champion?

Their “____ of Caliban” weapons are +3S as it is, getting another S puts them into Power Fist territory without any penalty to hit. Another attack is always useful. The Company Champion benefits from the WS boost more than the DW Champion.

Question is, how often would you be bringing either of those units to begin with?

Just a thought.

If you take an apothecary with your DA, and a Wolf Priest with your wolves, you don’t have to worry about the possible wounds.

Yep. Maybe a DA apothecary maybe relatively expensive, but a Wolf Priest cost more than a whopping 100 points naked. 

I rather make sure my S10 Thunderhammer hits one either model if I use this strategem and list.

Realistically you'd only want to use this stratagem on a character that has multiple wounds anyway. Heck, even an ancient can make use of the stratagem, and will draw a lot less aggro than your warlord. 50% chance of 1 mortal wound doesn't seem worth 155 points. To put it in perspective, a Darkshroud is only 138, and a squad of 5 aggressors is 185.

What about DA Company Champion or Deathwing Champion?

Their “____ of Caliban” weapons are +3S as it is, getting another S puts them into Power Fist territory without any penalty to hit. Another attack is always useful. The Company Champion benefits from the WS boost more than the DW Champion.

Question is, how often would you be bringing either of those units to begin with?

Just a thought.

both very viable. Actually from DA point of view, there is no shortage of multi wound characters models, that cannot benefit from it. Why does the Company Champion benefit more though, I thought both were WS2+. Either case, Company Champion is probably best due to ability to ride around in Rhino, whereas Deathwing Champion, if he doesn't get the deep strike charge off, will be left chasing fast objects.

Also I'm wondering about the Deathwing Knight sergeant, does he have an extra wound and attack?

For Space Wolves, we lack "Champion" kind of characters, so we are unable to field a "budget" beatstick to fulfil the requirement. The ones we do have are the normal buffing characters like Lords/Captains, Battle leader/lieutenants, and of course Rune Priests/Librarians. Our chaplains/wolf priest kind of suck in the sense that they cannot take Power fists and are stuck with the Crozius and a combi weapon at best. They can heal but they can't resurrect fallen models. these buffers you generally don't want to point and shoot them. You need them to work with your army instead of charging off to glory.

If you take an apothecary with your DA, and a Wolf Priest with your wolves, you don’t have to worry about the possible wounds.

Yep. Maybe a DA apothecary maybe relatively expensive, but a Wolf Priest cost more than a whopping 100 points naked.

I rather make sure my S10 Thunderhammer hits one either model if I use this strategem and list.

Realistically you'd only want to use this stratagem on a character that has multiple wounds anyway. Heck, even an ancient can make use of the stratagem, and will draw a lot less aggro than your warlord. 50% chance of 1 mortal wound doesn't seem worth 155 points. To put it in perspective, a Darkshroud is only 138, and a squad of 5 aggressors is 185.

That wouldn’t be the only reason to take them. Those characters can do a lot more during the game.

Oh absolutely, but more than the above options I posted? A Darkshroud is one of the bigger draws for Dark Angels in the first place. a -1 bubble with T6, 9W, and a 4++ save. Aggressors are really strong in some matchups and can be a worthy shield for Hellblasters. A pair of apothecaries probably won't get you that much by comparison. 

Having faced apothecaries, I find them more annoying than dangerous.

Oh absolutely, but more than the above options I posted? A Darkshroud is one of the bigger draws for Dark Angels in the first place. a -1 bubble with T6, 9W, and a 4++ save. Aggressors are really strong in some matchups and can be a worthy shield for Hellblasters. A pair of apothecaries probably won't get you that much by comparison. 

Having faced apothecaries, I find them more annoying than dangerous.

More than annoying actually, especially when they bring back a Hellblaster that you spent a turn killing. But you are right, Dark Angels have many many other options to field to make the army more dangerous. As mentioned from start, this is a fun strategem, meant for a good game of laughs and beers, not tournaments.

Archived