Making Space Marines Great Again

BLACK BLΠFLY

First game was versus Knights, IG and an Eversor Assassin. I had the choice to go second and did. The terrain was okay. I placed my scouts so that I could move my characters out in the open for a turn if need be. Everything was setup out of line of sight to bait the Knights forward.

Second turn Allarus ended up making a long bomb charge into one Knight (Gallant) and got it down to one wound... which was great. I had pushed everything forward forgetting about the Assassin which came in third turn. Luckily I had held my Culexus back by accident so she was able to deal with that threat. Inceptors also came in that turn and put a big hurt on another Knight - below half wounds. Everything pretty much went my way from there so a solid round one and a great way to start the day.

Okay so round 2 was versus Catachans... lots of ccw Sentinel squads, Bullgrynn and a Shadowsword. Again I got my pick and chose to go second deploying everything either out of line-of-sight or in deep strike reserve. I put the scouts up inside a central building - cheese for those big dirty rats. All the sentinels scout then advance up into my grill and pop smoke.

T1 - Bullgrynn take the bait. One sentinel squad makes into melee using a strategem and they vaporize a unit of Intercessors... Bullgryn nuke the scouts. My turn I pop the 3 CP strategem to bring in the Allarus right next to a sentinel squad. Inceptors come ready to nuke another. Hellblasters come out as well. Shield-Captain flies into the central building keeping safe distance from the Bullgryn. I vaporize quite a bit with shooting and all but one Inceptor smokes themselves. Shield-Captain pretty much takes out an infantry squad with shooting and melee then consolidates deeper into building away from Bullgryns. That was a really good turn for me but now I have to take the heat.

T2 - Next turn is pretty much rinse and repeat... Hellblasters are vapped by the Shadowsword. Straken comes out to fight my Shield-Captain with some infantry support. Hellhounds are right up in my grill too now. When the smoke clears I still have three Allarus which is huge. Straken bosses his invul saves --- :' (     This turn I bring in my Wardens and use the same strategem again. I manage to get rid of all but one of the Hellhounds taking some MWs in the process during the explosions. Culexus is on a bee-line to a far away objective held by infantry and just makes the charge into them... that turned out to be huge.

Turns 3 and 4 are similar - we keep punching the hell out of each other.

T5 - This is one of those games I find I can get into trouble being over confident of my overall melee ability... I know the Bullgrynn will be a problem. A lot of my characters die but they all do a lot of damage. Tiggy hangs in there along with the Culexus though. Tiggy ends up null-zoning the Bullgrynn and my Allarus shred them into ribbons. The remaining Intercessor squad manages to take out the last Sentinel and that is the game.

Next up Smash Brothers.

Good win. A couple of questions in case I have it wrong.... did they allow Deepstrike in this tournament outside of your deployment?

How did you get the Shadowsword? I find them so brutal.... especially when they use the Primaris Psyker to get a 2+ save on it!

Great work.

No we used the beta rules. The first turn I was deep striking into my own DZ. That’s one of the reasons I hid so my opponent would move closer. I pretty much ignored the LoW... terrain made it hard for it to get good line of sight. The only thing I remember it nuking was my Hellblasters.

Probably Tiggy... Null Zone was clutch a couple times plus smite and psychic scourge pumped out a lot of mortal wounds. The Shield-Captain was a rock star too. Inceptors and Hellblasters always pulled their weight too.

More batreps this evening !

Probably Tiggy... Null Zone was clutch a couple times plus smite and psychic scourge pumped out a lot of mortal wounds. The Shield-Captain was a rock star too. Inceptors and Hellblasters always pulled their weight too.

More batreps this evening !

That sounds about right!

I don't know how far you are going into Deathwatch, but it will be very interesting to hear how much your perception of those units changes if you end up playing full 2K games with Deathwatch Primaris/hellblaster/Inceptors, etc.

I know it's been very interesting for myself. (I simply can't afford to do both as they use a lot of the same models.)

I have played games with Deathwatch and I have TBH and say they are better than vanilla SM IMO. I love both veterans and Fortis kill teams (mixed Primaris) .

I know. I don't want to take your tournament experience too far off topic, but it is timely. The reality is, and I admit it irks me, is that Deathwatch play 'marines'... and I mean Vets and Primaris alike, far better than Codex Astartes.

It bothers me because I enjoy Ultra's a lot. Always have even though I am often teased, or stuck with the new players at store events.... I don't care. But I also enjoy the marine aspect. I was never big into tons of flyers, tanks, etc, etc. So the fact the Deathwatch can empower the basic gun, the strategy, the deepstrike element, the squad combinations.... it just seems incredibly lopsided. Even the Strategems are miles better.

They are really good... I think GW must have realized that our codex (nilla) is not totally up to snuff... there's lots of rumors but then again a rumor is just a rumor so i will leave it at that. :) Anyways it will be interesting to see what our furry friends get.

You're making me want to get some Null Zone into my army.

I know we’ve touched on this before but I have no idea how you could play in even a semi competitive environment without it. That last game I had with Guilliman definitely would have lost without Null Zone cast on 9 Lychguard. I got it off last night on 10 Death wing Termies.., devastating with Hellblasters.

Plus you always have th3 option pregame for something more.... Ork appropriate if necessary. Lol

I’m betting Wolves have great Reivers (as a comparison of codex Primaris vs other codexes)

Archived