Space Spaniards

Jackalwolf

Hey guys, any chapters out there have a definite Spanish ring for you guys?

Of the top of my head:

- Crimson Fists all seem to have Spanish names

- Emperor's Children were originally recruited from noble European houses so tangential

- Several markedly Spanish names in the Imperial Fists but they were very explicitly drafted all over Terra so again tangential

Despite my numerous dabblings in 40 and 30k lore I've never found a direct remark of Iberia or Hispania as I assume they'd refer to Spain in 40k.

What aspect are you looking for exactly? Just names? Because CF have tread that line occasionally. In terms of military history a la Viking and Roman legion influence, I can't think of any. BA come close with renaissance aesthetics, but not really. There's the easy Spanish Inquisition meme, but I think I'm leaning towards a Don Quixote joke...the Slayers of Windmills? Marines of the Woeful Countenance?

Conquistadores translates to conquerors in low gothic, that's a pretty cool name with which to create your own chapter. It doesnt appear to exist already either, so colour scheme is yours to choose.

Now you just need a Primary to descend from. I'd have thought something knightly like the sons of El Jonson, but you may not want all the fallen baggage. So maybe Dorn? Although, Spain was part of the Roman Empire, so you could be descendants of the very roman Ultramarines?

I cannot see them being sons of Corvus or Ferrus Mannus. Maybe jaghatai as conquistadors were often mounted?

If Grieux wants an Iberian focus I can help.

You talked about Conquistadors, so late middle ages, age of discovery focus.

A fleet based chapter would be the answer. Most of the captains of the ships were nobles, and in the Portuguese case part of the Knights of Christ (Templar Successors in Portugal).

So going for a knightly theme is ok. Dorn Gene Seed would be acceptable.

In the Portuguese case they build around 600 forts around the globe, and I assume the Spanish have done the same.

While Iberian history is often shunned by the large anglo saxonic community, at a military level you can find inspiration from the celtiberan tribes to the Napoleonic wars in Iberia.

From Viriato, that destroyed so many roman legions that Rome was forced to accept his terms before assassinating him, to the guerrilla wars fought against napoleon armies that bleed the French armies dry.

A Knightly crusading Chapter, from Dorn gene seed, discovering, purging and claiming for the Imperium at the edges of the galaxy, braving the unknown is a great theme for a chapter. While it may tread on other established chapters lore, its the small things, its personality that will make it unique.

(if anyone is interested in Portugal Middle ages history the book Conquerors: how Portugal forged the first global Empire from Roger Crowley is a pleasant read.)

Woah thanks for the great insight. I think crusading chapter is right on the spot with knightly inspiration, some sort of laic black Templars so to speak.

I will do some research on that Viriatus fella too, could do an Ultramarines successor led by him.

Thanks for the two very solid options guys!

Done quite some research and indeed there are two options:

- Conquistador chapter, crusading, Dorn geneseed, associated with several rogue trader houses to expand the Imperium boundaries.

- Ancient Iberian chapter, heavily influenced by Phoenician culture, from Cartago Nova homeworld (city in south East of Spain from where Hanibal left in his infamous crusade against Rome), nobility based on horse breeding (jetbike and fast attack heavy), unknown geneseed (IIIrd).

Archived