Lords of silence

I don’t know personally but it would be the limited version for sale first, right?

I don’t know if that would affect your decision. I know I plan on getting the limited version anyway, largely because I like the hardcover and can’t wait.

Thanks for the responses guys. I don’t think that I will be getting the hard back though. I will just have to wait and be patience. I hope the wait will be worth it

It’ll probably be about 6 months for a paperback copy.

I got an early copy as Chris Wraight was in Warhammer Bath when I was there visiting my dad, he had some advance copies and was signing them. I haven’t finished it yet, but I’m about 2/3rds through and I’m really enjoying it so far.

Thanks for the responses guys. I don’t think that I will be getting the hard back though. I will just have to wait and be patience. I hope the wait will be worth it

I got an early copy as Chris Wraight was in Warhammer Bath when I was there visiting my dad, he had some advance copies and was signing them. I haven’t finished it yet, but I’m about 2/3rds through and I’m really enjoying it so far.

Nice!

No spoilers but anything in particular it covers that's worth sharing an overview of?

Will pick up the audio whenever it's out :)

Nice!

No spoilers but anything in particular it covers that's worth sharing an overview of?

Will pick up the audio whenever it's out :)

It alternates between the Lords of Silence making their way to Ultramar, and an earlier timeline where they muster for Abbadons attack on Cadia. Unless anything big happens in the last 50 or so pages, there’s no huge reveals or anything, but it’s written as well as expected for Wraight and I’m really enjoying it.

Thank you for the over view.

I always hope that Chaos, in this case Death Guard, are not portrayed as fodder for marines to rick roll through. I hope that’s not the case here.

It’s not the case here, they’re very capable and powerful. It’s not the case the other way either, the marines they fight are still a threat, it’s pretty well balanced.

Finished it now. It was very very good. I’ll do a proper review and spoilers (in tags, obviously) tomorrow, because it’s late now and I’ve had a pretty rough day.

Copied from the thread in the Black Library section

So I finished this last night. It tells the story of the Lords of Silence warband of the Death Guard, the main characters being Vorx, the leader; Dragan, ‘the Gallowsman’; Kledo, a plague surgeon, Philemon, a tallyman, Slert who I think is a biologus purifier or a foul blightspawn or something, and Garstag, the leader of the Kardainn, who are the terminators. There is quite a lot of tension between the members of the warband, Vorx is set on following Mortarion where as some of the others disagree and think they should follow Abaddon.

It’s broken into parts, and the parts alternate between the Lords of Silence trying to make their way to Ultramar after a warp incident leaves them in the middle of Imperium Nihilus, and an earlier timeline involving them joining Abaddons muster to attack Cadia.

It is, predictably for Chris, very well written. There’s some great scene setting chapters, such as a chapter with Vorx on the Plague Planet, and a part set on an agricultural world in the Imperium. There’s a cameo from Thyphus that I really enjoyed. The Death Guard are portrayed really well, I really got a feel for their toughness, they weren’t fodder for marines (or vice versa, it’s well balanced), and there’s some good differing perspectives on their lot in life (Dragan is much newer than the others in the war and and hasn’t quite accepted it as much as the others yet). When I spoke to Chris when he signed it, he said he really enjoyed writing about the bad guys for a change, and in my opinion he’s done it just as well as when writing about the good guys.

I’ll do a full sort of breakdown in spoiler tags, there’s no massive universe wide reveals or anything but in case you want to go in clean.

I’ll explain the story chronologically, the sections as I said alternate between the earlier timeline and the later one, the last part of the earlier timeline feeds straight into the first part of the later timeline which I found pretty cool.

Chronologically the first part is Vorx returning to the Plague Planet for the first time in a long time. Excellent descriptions of the planet here, I really enjoyed it. He gets summoned in front of Mortarion, who has forseen the rift caused by Abaddons attack on Cadia. He tells Vorx to join Abaddons muster for now, but that he no longer cares for Terra and will be attacking Ultramar, and for Vorx to meet him there.

Next is the muster for the attack on Cadia. Dragan goes aboard the Terminus Est and speaks with Typhon who tells him although he is bound to follow Mortarion against Ultramar, he doesn’t care about it, and would rather follow Abaddon, and tries to talk Dragan into following Abaddon (Dragan already is disillusioned with Vorx’s leadership). The section ends with them leaving the eye and approaching on Cadia.

Next is the fleet battle over Cadia, and the Lords of Silence get attacked by the Iron Shades chapter who begin to board. While this is happening, the ship gets transported through the warp and ends up in Imperium Nihilus.

The other timeline starts with the ship in Imperium Nihilus, with no one knowing how they got there or why they can’t see the Astronomicon. They fight off the boarders fro. The Iron Shades who are still on board. Vorx wants to make his way to Ultramar to fight with Mortarion, most of the others are less enthusiastic. They find an agricultural planet and kill everyone, trying to provoke an Imperial response, which doesn’t happen due to Cadia and the rift. They take a mortal soldier, Dantine, who is from a nearby planet with an Ultramarines successor chapter on it, and Vorx essentially soul binds him and he leads them there. They meet up with some Word Bearers, and Vorx negotiates into joining with them to take the world (much to the others distaste, they all warn him that the Word Bearers will betray them and call him weak for joining them). They attack the planet, and Philemon and Dragan realise that the Word Bearers are using them to take the brunt of the battle, while they do their usual WB stuff, trying to open the warp above the planet and claim it. They are rounding up and sacrificing all the mortals to open the warp gate. However, Vorx had forseen this, and had got Slert to release a virus that turned the mortals into Plague Zombies and therefore the WB rituals don’t work, and they drive them off and claim the planet. Vorx gets Slert to begin turning it into a plague planet, and when asked his plans, he claims ‘all things are possible’.

So yeah, I really liked it, and would recommend it. Remember to keep things to spoiler tags if they are to do with the more specific synopsis.

Not opened the spoiler tags but it sounds like exactly what I want.

The best thing about the Black Legion novels is making the Chaos Marines (for lack of a better word) "Human", and giving them more beyond "Kill teh false emprah lulz cuz we're da bad gais xD" and this sounds like it's on the same path as the BL stuff.

Thanks Golem... can't wait!

I didn't read the spoiler tags either, but you've let us in on just enough to wet the appetite. Interesting idea with a 'newer' Plaguemarine. 

I expect the inner conflict and a but of friction; it seems to be an ongoing element in all chaos warbands, or squads. 

Also glad to hear about Typhus.

What has me very intrigued is the idea of some of the Plaguemarines actually siding with Abaddon. I could see that being the case *if* Mortarion wasn't actively pursuing Ultramar. I'm assuming the plagumarines would be accusing Mortarion of being too focused on Guilliman, and/or Ultramar, and want to take the fight closer to terra (which would be suicide).

Also the cast seems wide and varied! Can't wait to read about a Plague surgeon, Tallyman, etc.... I use these guys (for better or worse) in games all the time. It would be neat to put a personality to them. :tu:

• 3 weeks later...

A few chapters in; it's pretty great. The Death Guard are so strange but SO enthralling.

Nurglings referred to as "little lords" and just making mischief is great fun too. They just fly around giggling and acting as pets to the marines.

One laughs so hard he poops so a Plague Marine sticks him in a jar. 7/7.

I am thoroughly enjoying the flavour of it but I confess it took me a while to accept the goofiness if some of it. Little lords is clever and that scene had me raising an eye brow.

The in depth life of a plague Marine whether old or new is very interesting to me.

The in depth life of a plague Marine whether old or new is very interesting to me.

For sure!

Loyalist marines are (mostly) boring in that aspect; they pray, they get a distress call, the fight, FOR TEH EMPRAH, the have orders, they execute them.

Chaos on the other hand have a lot more personality, they certainly feel alive - they're arrogant in a position of weakness and I LOVE it.

I just wish we'd had more DG action in the HH novels to get a feel for the culture of the Legion before the change to compare it to.

Archived