Lords of silence

Gotten to Mortarion. He's great, I think maybe his best literary appearance yet!

Also some incredible introspection on the Plague planet, it's inhabitants and their practices.

Vorx' little home on the planet is really cool and these plague marines (at least some of them) are very much "human"

Gotten to Mortarion. He's great, I think maybe his best literary appearance yet!

Also some incredible introspection on the Plague planet, it's inhabitants and their practices.

Vorx' little home on the planet is really cool and these plague marines (at least some of them) are very much "human"

I loved the Plague Planet section, and Mortarion.

• 2 weeks later...
Since I originally posted that question, I’ve managed to get through most of the book. I’d say there’s some lose tie ins bit it’s mostly stand alone. There’s references to Guilliman and trying to get involved in that theatre of the war. That’s all I’ll say for fear of minor spoilers but in general I’d look at this as happening at the same time.

• 2 months later...

I'm about half way reading it, so far it's a great read and now looking at converting some models to the characters from the Lords of silence for my army.

Reading about Mortarion was just fantastic, the way he is, his throne, going up to his room and talking to the big fella himself, you can really feel through the writing his age and how long he has been around for.

The description of the WB I found was brilliant, from their ships, cultists, landing craft to the marines themselves. All the brass and spikes. Had the feel of Event Horizon vibe, only just 100% better.

Anyone already done this yet? I'd love to see what you have done to show them.

I just finished it. Really I enjoyed it but I did find it takes a long time to ramp up. But when it gets going... the main battle is fantastic and the Word Bearers are still dirty as heck. Deathguard really hold their own and the main characters really thrive towards the end of 5he novel.

I've just finished last night, was a great read and was hoping it would have kept going when it ended. The Lords of Silence are very interesting characters and flesh out the Death Guard, brining to life the plague marine, Tallyman, biologis putrifier, even Naum the hellbrute was very interesting, the way he was chained below decks, the way he was described, even down to him talking.

I do hope that he continues to write more on the Lords of Silence.

You know I almost forgot about the Helbrute. Yes he was really cool and I wanted more of him!

All I know is maybe I'm over reacting because I come from an era of playing Deathguard when they were pretty basic sculpts and the army was left largely to your imagination and I think back then the "Plaguemarine" fiction was so horrible. It was basically zombies with bolters. Now here we are with (in my opinion) the first real fleshing out of the post heresy Legion and it's pretty fascinating.

The only thing I'll say is the 'mood' set up for the book seemed to take very long. I'm reading Emperor's Legion and it's extremely similar in pace and design. However the last third of the book is breakneck paced and worth a re-read alone. 

They MUST do more of this. :)

Trying to read it myself. The wonky perspective is making it difficult on top of my inability to concentrate (depression is a bitch) on any one thing for long. I burned out on licensed fiction back in the 80s (damn you Dragonlance!), but I picked this book up at least. It might take me awhile to read, but I'll keep at it. 

Much like the Black Legion & Night Lords books, I find this novel is another excellent example of characterization for Chaos Marines. Are they slaves to their god? Yes, very much so. But do they have free will, thoughts, feelings, wants, needs, personality?

Abso-:censored: -lutely!

Fiction that ignores that aspect of Chaos Marines and just paints them as "they were evil, very evil indeed. So evil that you would not believe the evilness these evildoers could evil in a single evil day!" is sadly, pretty universal in the hobby.

So I just finished reading the book.  It was a really good read and really showed how Death Guard approach things and what their influence does to corrupt a world.  Ironically though, it actually made me like them less because of their whole nihilistic approach to everything.  It's not how I imagined them in my head, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

it actually made me like them less [...]  It's not how I imagined them in my head, I guess.

Well, the beauty of it is that this is a single vectorium of a very, very big legion. There's a lot of different outlook within the LoS already, but if none of them work for what you want from your own plaguemarines, write your own lore for your warband. Hell, you can even go for one of the splinters from the legion, or a crew that's taken the black.

Anyway, on the subject of the book, it's my favourite Black Library novel so far. I wanted to wait until I'd finished it to be absolutely certain, because there's soe fierce competition for that spot (The First Heretic and Know No Fear, namely).

I'll get around to actually reviewing it sometime, but one thing I want to note about it is Cadia. The buildup of the black crusade fleet is great, Abbadon feels suitably importand (and arrogant) even though we never see him directly, and the attack on the gate seems like a huge event without witnessing much of it at all. The void battle over Agrippinaa feels monumental and anarchic, but the focus stays almost entirely within the confines of Solace instead of risking distraction in the details of the larger battle, and this creates a claustrophobic atmophere that's perfect for the nature of the story as well as giving us a fantastic(ly gruesome) look at the inside of a plague fleet ship in pitched battle.

Vorx's musings on hate and Typhon's frustrations with Mortarion are fantastic, but if I start rambling about characters I'll never stop.

Yea the characters make it. The story is almost.... inconsequential to me. The characters were good and I feel like it took a loooong time for the story to ramp up, and just as it was ending I was really enjoying the characters. 

It sounds crazy, but I probably would have started the novel with the end battle. lol  I just feel like everything they are projecting in the near future sounded more interesting. The characters and interaction and the way of Deathguard life was very refreshing. Thanks for not being space zombies with bolters!

One thing i did enjoy was the human that was in thrall to Vorx, his perspective on going through the ship and seeing it change all the time, he himself not seeing the change within himself. I was glad he survived all through the book and him joining his fellow poxwalkers to fight.

He did bring to life the various fleets and how different they are to each other including the Admech fleet.

On a side note with the fleet fighting the space marines and Admech fleet and that huge nova cannon don't Vorx pulled was just great.

But really it's a must for all Death Guard players

• 5 weeks later...

No, plague marine are said to be "fused with their armor even more than regular astarte".

While not detailed, their activies and discutions are said to be "increadibly mudane from such monters".

They are said to be in many way more "human" than regular astarte.

Actually I was just yesterday listening to the passage where it was mentioned that the ones who decide to wear terminator plate tend to fuse with it forever implying that the ones wearing regular PA don't fuse with it.

Archived