Where do you guys get your 40k news?

Tamiel

I'd like to discuss good sources of 40k news outlets that you guys use. I used to visit Bell of lost souls, but lately every article they post has been buzzfeed-like clickbait. I still like FrontlineGaming but they usually only cover tournaments and high level play. And then there's this website, which is a good place to discuss and get news from but I want more.

Any places you guys would recommend? Also what are some other places that have accurate rumours and insiders?

Here or DakkaDakka basically. Open day coverage usually ends up with links to a few blogs/pages that are handy for those specific events.

Given the non-xenos focus this place had until recently Dakka often has a bit more to contribute to news discussions about those factions, plus I'm there anyway for non-40k stuff.

News on Warhammer Community and rumours here.

WarofSigmar has just become copy/paste of Warhammer community since they signed their NDA and Natfka is either the same or sources from here.

I generally limit my checking to the Warhammer Community site.

I'll occasionally delve into the rumors forum here, but as with other sites, there's way too much of the speculation, knee-jerking, wish-listing, and nerd rage for my tastes (I get tired of clicking on new posts just to see that there's someone's opinion rather than actual news).

I usually go to bols for 'official' leaks and a good laugh about what constitutes 'quality journalism' in wargaming nowadays.

One or two articles tend to be good each week (e.g. many of the "tournament lists and what makes them tick" style articles when they actually go and interview the person playing the list). And articles by pimpcron are fun to read most of the time, especially since they often tend to look at the hobby from unusual perspectives.

Then it's over to dakka dakka for more accurate rumors and for the painting & modelling section.

Finally to the bolter and chainsword for confirmation/denial of rumors and for some serious discussion.

Also the greatness that is the forge. *drool*

Every once in a while I head to warhammer community to fulfill the required reading of the regimental standard. Sometimes there are even other usefull hobby articles on that site.

Well obviously warhammer community on Facebook provide a lot of official news but for rumours it's here. I've found the posters on this site to be a much more friendly crowd with amiable discussions and rarely negativity. There are some forums that can be quite nasty if you say the wrong thing and over time I've learnt to stay clear.

Here or Faeit if I'm checking a website (other than Warhammer community). One of the guys in my gaming group tends to check out news and rumours on reddit and possibly 4chan and that usually ends uo making its way to the group chat.

Edit: Only issue with 4chan and reddit is you could also stumble onto something unsavoury from what I hear so caution is advised

Warhammer Community, here, Garro, Valrak, Reddit and a handful of other Facebook pages that frequent the open days.

I'm not going to debase myself by giving BoLS/Natfka/Spikey Bits any clicks.

I'm not going to debase myself by giving BoLS/Natfka/Spikey Bits any clicks.

BoLS's integrity was forever compromised for me when they started packaging their own musings as genuine rumours (and thus the farcical 'industry insider' was born).

Can you give a couple of examples ?

I usually go to bols for 'official' leaks and a good laugh about what constitutes 'quality journalism' in wargaming nowadays.

One or two articles tend to be good each week (e.g. many of the "tournament lists and what makes them tick" style articles when they actually go and interview the person playing the list). And articles by pimpcron are fun to read most of the time, especially since they often tend to look at the hobby from unusual perspectives.

Then it's over to dakka dakka for more accurate rumors and for the painting & modelling section.

Finally to the bolter and chainsword for confirmation/denial of rumors and for some serious discussion.

Also the greatness that is the forge. *drool*

Every once in a while I head to warhammer community to fulfill the required reading of the regimental standard. Sometimes there are even other usefull hobby articles on that site.

I write for BoLS and I can tell you the interviews with GT winners and list analysis are not very popular in general.

I typically get 40K news in my FB feed from who ever it is that I follow and from the forums. (Most of the time as soon as I see it it is posted here on the B&C within minuets or I am minuets late to the party.)  I made an account over at dakka literally to follow Ork rumors and Ork discussions for 7th edition 40K. I only go to BoLS for the comment section. BoLS is a click farm now days.  For example with no official Ork rumors they reshased information that was put out by GW (from aroun the time of the 8th edition release.) and added the PrimOrk wishlisting from posted on forums. It get's tiresome. But what even more interesting is that I can read an article and open the comments in a second tab and close the article, which is nice.
I've been to a few other rumor sites or been directed to them but I don't think I have bothered to bookmark them. 

I usually get my 40k news either here or on DakkaDakka. At times I'll also hit up natfka or the BattleBunnies, but that's a rarity. Only thing I stay away from is anything BoLS related; I won't touch that page with a ten foot pole again.

Archived