Where do you guys get your 40k news?

Tamiel

On the rumor boards here. I honestly don't need anything else. 

Once I see something that catches my fancy I enter the thread and see what's been posted on there. Then either I click on links provided or start googling.

SB just seems so shady but they do have some good hobby videos.

Who can say. I have in the past listened to a few of their videos. I can't understand them. I have no idea what language they are speaking. 

That guy Rob will spend 24 minutes breathing into his microphone or say "well, I just don't really know" in a 25 minute video.  I don't really bother with hobby content on youtube any more.

I follow Massive VooDoo's blog and on FB. They're amazing. 

But we're getting off topic.

@Black Orange: Hi there. This is an example of what I'm talking about. The article is listed as rumours but is almost entirely made up of speculation with the only actual rumour being a vague release date (which was incorrect). Whilst an industry insider is cited as a source in numerous rumours on the site that is not the case here so I'm removing that comment from my original post.

Transitioning from Natfka to here.  Usually I just go there once every couple days, look over the icons and clickbaity headlines to see if anything grabs my attention and pop over here.   Anything but BoLS, ugh (no offense intended towards any individual, I just don't like the community or the 'feeling/mentality' of that place). 

Post Scriptum: Oh, and Battle Bunnies for anything 30K or 30K tangentially related, which I'll admit is my big draw as I just don't care too about Xenos and AoS that much.  

Who can say. I have in the past listened to a few of their videos. I can't understand them. I have no idea what language they are speaking. 

That guy Rob will spend 24 minutes breathing into his microphone or say "well, I just don't really know" in a 25 minute video.  I don't really bother with hobby content on youtube any more.

IMO not bad. This is how they make a living it’s more than a hobby for them. Big Red is a good guy.

Bols is just all the worst aspects at once. Clickbait at its finest. I don't know if its just me, but my phone seems to have a hell of a time with their mobile site. Constantly doing shady virus like advertising to my phone. My phone literally never does this anywhere else but on bols.

There is a good article every once in a blue moon. But it's usually poached from some other site or blog. So I just go follow their site directly and not give my clicks to Bols and their, what I believe to be a shady advertising scam, as well as their low quality content to justify their continued relevance.

Edit: oh and BaC is the best IMO. I hit up dakka when I get bored here sometimes. Between those two, I am never bored or uniformed.

IMO not bad. This is how they make a living it’s more than a hobby for them. Big Red is a good guy.

We clearly have different standards.  And that's just fine.

I have also read that they have used pictures of people models without permission, I take issue with that.  

I get it though, they have set up a cult of personality and know how to be relevant enough for easy google hits. 

For me hobby content on the internet isn't really something I look for any more. I prefer blogs and threads on forums. 

But I think that is more about how I prefer to consume information in general. I quit watching TV in 06'.  

I read just about everything available on anything I am interested with just a small splash of youtube. 

Here, the wh40k FB page and the Community site.

Everywhere else, especially on youtube, is full of rumour mongering and speculation, or just nonsense. I don't want to listen to someone waffle on for 10+ minutes about what MIGHT be coming out from a RUMOUR they heard.

I want news, so I'll go to where I know I can find it.

Honestly, I'd just stick with forums for the most part. You can usually get the best blog/new articles through a filter of other people who sift out the junk for you.

I initially enjoyed Bell of Lost Souls, and used to check them all the time, but they got more and more click-baity, making up their own rumors based on their personal hunches, and so on. Which, if they'd just posted their personal hunches AS personal hunches, would've been fine. I think the most odious person on the staff is Black Blow Fly, who, while he had some interesting strategic insights in his articles, had an ugly habit of descending into the comments section to post trollish, kindergarten playground-level responses to his detractors. I mean, I get it, it's the comments section, there will be trolls. You just would expect somebody selling themselves as a journalist wouldn't be so unprofessional as to be one, right?

The last straw was when, over the past month or so, we saw this succession of articles:

1) GW is definitely going to make Female Space Marines, I'm calling it now, and it's about dang time, we need to bring the chauvinist pig fanbase into the current century! (The comment section was a dumpster fire.)

2) Hey, if we did get Female Space marines, here are some ways to do it and not have the story or theme of the setting ruined, and by the way GW can do whatever it wants so just remember your precious little opinions don't matter. (Another dumpster fire of a comments section, with people starting to get suspicious.)

3) Hey, guys, Black Blow Fly here, Lore doesn't really matter that much anyway, it changes, it's easy to be misinformed about it, and if you care about it at all, you're a loser. And if you disagree in the comments section, I'm going to come down there and call you a turd! (At this point people are catching on there's probably a forced agenda or narrative here, since all of us have a shared hobby that requires noticing moving parts and tiny details that make a whole. Like many others, I point this out, without breaking the Terms of Service for Disqus, and am summarily banned.)

4) Hey guys, Black Blow Fly here, dressing the same rehashed opinion the other two guys had on Female Space Marines up as something unique and original. No, I swear we're not pushing a narrative/starting flame wars just for clicks, you doodoo head! (I think they've realized they can't ban everyone, as there are less deleted comments this time around, but boy, this is getting to be a very stale joke!)

After being rather heavily burned by them, and having found a lot of other sites cringey or elitist, I'm just going to stay in the best forum on the internet, the ever-lovin' B&C!

http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk - like BoLS but without the clickbait

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com - less focused on breaking news per se but articles have more depth and if you see something here you can believe it 100%

These two are great. Highly recommend them.

BoLS I cant stand any more. The amount of clickbait and garbage articles is too brutal.

Here, the Community page, or Atia.

I used to use Warseer, but they completely tanked their forum when AOS came out, and then had a Server wipe or something, and now it looks like that place is a shell of itself. Kind of depressing.

BolS, is a total waste of space, and had some shady practices. I wont give them the clicks.

Honestly, I'd just stick with forums for the most part. You can usually get the best blog/new articles through a filter of other people who sift out the junk for you.

I initially enjoyed Bell of Lost Souls, and used to check them all the time, but they got more and more click-baity, making up their own rumors based on their personal hunches, and so on. Which, if they'd just posted their personal hunches AS personal hunches, would've been fine. I think the most odious person on the staff is Black Blow Fly, who, while he had some interesting strategic insights in his articles, had an ugly habit of descending into the comments section to post trollish, kindergarten playground-level responses to his detractors. I mean, I get it, it's the comments section, there will be trolls. You just would expect somebody selling themselves as a journalist wouldn't be so unprofessional as to be one, right?

The last straw was when, over the past month or so, we saw this succession of articles:

1) GW is definitely going to make Female Space Marines, I'm calling it now, and it's about dang time, we need to bring the chauvinist pig fanbase into the current century! (The comment section was a dumpster fire.)

2) Hey, if we did get Female Space marines, here are some ways to do it and not have the story or theme of the setting ruined, and by the way GW can do whatever it wants so just remember your precious little opinions don't matter. (Another dumpster fire of a comments section, with people starting to get suspicious.)

3) Hey, guys, Black Blow Fly here, Lore doesn't really matter that much anyway, it changes, it's easy to be misinformed about it, and if you care about it at all, you're a loser. And if you disagree in the comments section, I'm going to come down there and call you a turd! (At this point people are catching on there's probably a forced agenda or narrative here, since all of us have a shared hobby that requires noticing moving parts and tiny details that make a whole. Like many others, I point this out, without breaking the Terms of Service for Disqus, and am summarily banned.)

4) Hey guys, Black Blow Fly here, dressing the same rehashed opinion the other two guys had on Female Space Marines up as something unique and original. No, I swear we're not pushing a narrative/starting flame wars just for clicks, you doodoo head! (I think they've realized they can't ban everyone, as there are less deleted comments this time around, but boy, this is getting to be a very stale joke!)

After being rather heavily burned by them, and having found a lot of other sites cringey or elitist, I'm just going to stay in the best forum on the internet, the ever-lovin' B&C!

I bailed on BoLS after the second of the two articles you mention. Not surprised they kept *ahem* "doubling-down".

Archived