Ishagu's tournament list

Ishagu

Hi guys.

I've had decent performance at multiple respectable sized tournaments out of the following list, and wanted to share it. Typically this wins 3/4 out of 5 games, but the codex doesn't quite have the legs to go the distance in my opinion. Still, there's no shame in winning a good chuck of games!

Vanguard Detachment, 1600 points:

HQ:

-Techmarine, Conversion Beamer, Power Axe, Primarch's Wrath

Troops:

-5 Scouts, Bolters

-5 Scouts, Bolters

Elites:

-5 Reivers, Bolt Carbines, Sgt with Carbine and Knife

-5 Reivers, Bolt Carbines, Sgt with Carbine and Knife

-Sicaran Venator, Neutron Laser, Las Cannon sponsons, Heavy Bolter

Heavy support:

-5 Hellblasters, Plasma Incinerators

-5 Hellblasters, Plasma Incinerators

Dedicated Transport:

-Repulsor, Las Talon, Twin Las Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, Rocket Pod, Two storm-bolters

-Repulsor, Las Talon, Twin Las Cannon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Ironhail Heavy Stubber, Rocket Pod, Two storm-bolters

---

Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment, 400 points

Lord of War:

-Roboute Guilliman

Every model in this list is able to move and shoot without penalty. In effect it's a mobile sledgehammer force.

It's easy to deploy and hide the units, has few drops and goes 1st more often than not.

The idea is to advance, dominate the centre and spread infantry out for objectives. The Repulsors are deployed with 5 Reivers and 5 Hellblasters in each, and there are no soft targets for the enemy in the initial turn, as long as the Scouts are well deployed.

Advance forward if it's prudent to do so, and then the infantry can disembark on turn 2 onwards and start picking off soft targets, or in the case of the Hellblasters assist with the biggest threats. Keep Guilliman in the centre and maximise his aura, and use him to counter charge or assault when it's safe mid to late game. Techmarine can hang back with the vehicles, repair and provide ranged firepower.

Marines operate best at mid range. This list works best to that effect.

Against certain opponents play the ranged game and hang back, against others move forward and maximise the damage.

7 command points total, and really all you need. For Marines it's best to focus on good units over detachment bonuses.

If there is LOS Blocking the list can function well. There is enough firepower to pick off 3 of the Mini Knights a turn, or to destroy a big one reliably.

The units can be hidden quite well as I mentioned, and with fly you can get the tanks and troops to where they need to be without having to go around the terrain.

Dark Eldar have it beat 9/10 times unfortunately. They are too fast and too numerous, with a lot of super effective and cheap firepower - basically doing what this list does but better :-/

Cheap and very effective at dealing ranged Damage.

Between the Primarch'a Wrath and a Conversion beamer he really chips away throughout the game, and he's great for keeping the vehicles going just that bit longer. In plenty of games he repairs a tank to a better damage bracket in key moments.

Looks interesting, how do the Las Talons on the Repulsors work for you? Do you find they have enough range?

One thing, you can't have both a Carbine and a Knife on the Riever sergeant.

You can equip the Sgt with carbine and knife as per Faq

Have you tried out Tigerious with or instead of the Techmarine?  It would take cutting a few things from the Repulsors and maybe a unit of Rievers.  But I'm mid-way through building a similar list and hope that his ability to give something -1 and something else +1 T could help them get blown off the table slightly less easily, but he is definitely pricey.  I don't think I've played many tables that have LOS terrain that can block a Repulsor reliably unfortunately.  Those things are huge.

Tiggy is definitely useful, and I have run him many times. It was a hard choice not to take him for sure, and I won't advise a player against taking him to bolster units with psychic support.

I chose to ignore the psychic phase in the end, and focused on being able to advance quickly with a instant firepower. This list has gone through a few updates over the months and this is the most recent draft.

If you look at some of the FLG buildings they are specifically designed for blocking LOS and can hide larger units. Makes the game much better if units can be hidden and prevents it from becoming a shooting gallery.

Here's my old one (pre sale) with that load out! Gotta use take it.

gallery_2760_13290_212468.jpg

I would say the list is very similar to one I used to run, except no Guilliman. (I use Calgar and Tiggy) But I never play at 1600 points. Our ITC events are 1750, and we play mostly at 2K.

That said aside from the points the biggest difference I can think of is the Reivers. I never used them in competitive play. If you're truly getting real mileage out of them, I think that's great.

I always had at least one squad of Flamer Aggressors. I'd always move my Repulsors up, give the damaged one -1 to hit from Tiggy, and hop out the Aggressors, move, advance, full flamage. That can be a really respectable move, But again I had Calgar and Inceptors going deep if need be, or he'd hang back for the aura.

It looks like a good list though. I've struggled recently with my dual Repulsor list. Last week in fact the friggin Tau just ripped through them, and I had a lot of trouble with the Riptides. My Deathguard list WILL reach the Riptides and rip them apart, but my marines rarely can. (Just too focused on being a gunline.) But I ended up winning luckily however that was my last game with dual Repulsor and I put it away for a while.

I think if the Knight momentum continues, and high strength weapons becomes more prevalent in order to counter them, then this list will suffer more.

On the other hand, with Orks on the horizon it's possible that horde melee will become a new staple in the Meta and Knights might lose some of their bluster without the proliferation of such weapons.

I think the solution to Knights, since GW has let th3m have their 5 minutes, is also going to give your list issues.... but I think it will be more than Orks... it’s going to be Wolves riding Wolves with hammers in hand. Etc.

I think if the Knight momentum continues, and high strength weapons becomes more prevalent in order to counter them, then this list will suffer more.

That's really what I was asking. Granted, rushing up to most knights isn't exactly ideal, but I've seen a proliferation of lascannons and meltas and Repulsors weren't exactly sturdy at the old level of anti-tank. It just seems like so many points distilled into so few models (that can't Rotate Ion Shields) is the sort of list that the meta is moving away from.

Archived