Dreadnought or Predator?

Astoran

Hello

I was looking for some input on a thing thats been on my mind for a while. Im thinking of having 2 Ven Dreads with lascannons and missile launcher as antitank for my DA list. The other option is 2 Las Predators. Obviously the Pred packs more lascannons but costs more points. The Dreads will hit on a 2+ and reroll hit rolls of 1 due to Grim Resolve as long as they stand still. I really dont want to park a Captain next to the Preds for the same effect. Seems like a waste of points with so few units around him.

So, Preds or Dreads?

I personaly love ven. Dreads. They have a base 2+ to hit, profit from grim resolve, have a 6 up fnp and the best thing.. they don't degrade.

Another Plus for the Dreads is that they can function as a replacement captain with WISDOM OF THE ANCIENTS. For only one cp it's a damn steal I think.

Ok, to be fair... the Predator has 3 wounds more and more guns, but he pays for it with a degrading Profile.

PS: Realy! Don't forget the feel no pain, it saved my ass some times!

Grim Resolve is awesome for units just sitting back and shooting at range. Dreadnoughts benefit greatly from that and don't degrade.

If you feel ambitious with converting, you could run a quad lascannon Mortis Dreadnought. Same firepower for less points, and Grim Resolve. All you lose is 4 wounds

Only hit on 3+ but yup, good units

True, but so does a predator. The dread can get grim resolve, but a mortis is FW, and in some places that is a nono.

Bastaela, isn't it just 3 wounds you lose out on? Preds start with 11 as far as I recall, dreads with 8. Not that it matters greatly, both can be killed well enough by lascannons ;D

A Dark Angels player, Shawn Sharp, just achieved good result(5-1, #11th among 130 players)on BAO 2018 with a dread-heavy list:

Spearhead Detachment (Dark Angels)

Lieutenant

Techmarine

Ravenwing Darkshroud

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought: 2x Twin Lascannon

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought: 2x Twin Lascannon

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought: 2x Heavy Flamer, 2x Storm Cannon Array

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought: 2x Heavy Flamer, 2x Storm Cannon Array

Ravenwing Dark Talon

Ravenwing Dark Talon

Battalion Detachment (Astra Militarum: Catachan)

Company Commander: Kurov's Aquila, Warlord (Grand Strategist)

Primaris Psyker

2x Infantry Squad/w Mortar

2x Infantry Squad

Astropath

Ministorum Priest

Thank you all for your input! Since not a single one of you is arguing for Predators it seems to me Ven Dreads is the way to go. Codex do say BS 2+ on Ven Dreads so unless I missed a errata they hit on 2+.

Cheers.

Thank you all for your input! Since not a single one of you is arguing for Predators it seems to me Ven Dreads is the way to go. Codex do say BS 2+ on Ven Dreads so unless I missed a errata they hit on 2+.

Cheers.

I think the 3+ is related to the mortis dread by forgeworld. He isn't ven. so he has BS 3+. (Index FotAA)

I run a rifleman Ven dread, so 8xS7 AP-1 D2 shots, hits on 2+ re-rolling 1's thanks to Grim Resolve. Add a Lt in there, and you can get some nice damage output!

Best thing is, the options are available from the Index, so it's not a Forgeworld unit :D

I run a rifleman Ven dread, so 8xS7 AP-1 D2 shots, hits on 2+ re-rolling 1's thanks to Grim Resolve. Add a Lt in there, and you can get some nice damage output!

Best thing is, the options are available from the Index, so it's not a Forgeworld unit :biggrin.:

True it's not FW as long as it's a regular or venerable dread wielding the autocannons, but in some clubs and events, even index options are not welcome. For instance I'm not allowed to use wargear from the index in the event I'll be attending on the 19th. So no autocannon dreads for me :/

Man, while understandable that does suck a bit. If that were the case, then the codex-compliant option would have to be Twin Las/Missile launcher. Still quite potent, but performs a different role in the army.

Thankfully that hasn't been the case for me.

I'd previously pondered a Deredeo. Weapons-wise, you're talking basically a S8 quad-autocannon setup, so what's not to like about that, and with the Helical Targetting Array you can do some nasty damage to those pesky Eldar flyers. You can also add the 5++ bubble effect to it too, offering a slight variation on the Azrael 4++ bubble. Throw Grim Resolve and a Lt in there too, and it could do some serious damage.

I have to say I like it a lot, and if I had the cash, I might invest in one myself.

A Deredeo with Anvilus Autocannons and pavise is a strong choice. Not necessarily top tier, but definitely not bad.

The plasma variant is pointswise more expensive as far as I recall and not as effective (but admit it, Hellfire Plasma Cannonade just sounds so ridiculously awesome if you say it right). Of course, come 9th edition, that can change rather quickly. I bought the missile launcher for mine, but I think I'll end up magnetizing it, just because the launcher is expensive, and the pavise is better atm, at least if you keep stuff within 6".

Thinking about it, deredeo in dakka loadout and pavise with 3-4 dakka preds (4th being deimos pattern) and a lieutenant is a scary looking firebase. Especially if you make the dread grant rerolls of 1's using the stratagem. That's of course using killshot whenever feasible. I have the models, just a lot of hobby work to do before I can put them on the table, but gonna have to try it :D

Only hit on 3+ but yup, good units

True, but so does a predator. The dread can get grim resolve, but a mortis is FW, and in some places that is a nono.

Bastaela, isn't it just 3 wounds you lose out on? Preds start with 11 as far as I recall, dreads with 8. Not that it matters greatly, both can be killed well enough by lascannons ;D

I don't know why I keep thinking Dreads have 7. But that only strengthens my point. 3 Wounds is not worth 30 odd points--especially since our dreads get Grim Resolve tacked on. 

Also--if you want to go non forgeworld, twin lascannon/twin autocannon, or dual twin autocannon is completely GW legal as per their index rulings. 136 points for S7 -1, 2 damage, rerolling 1s, on a model with no degrading isn't awful for casual--certainly better than a pred. Or *ahem* Devasator squads--at least with Azzy.

If we are talking about FW, I gotta give a shoutout to the Leviathan. It's a close range beatstick at 24inches, but at T8, 2+, 4++ and 20 S7 -2 2 damage shots, you are at worst bringing one hell of a distraction carnifex, and at best you're imposing your will on a given part of the map.

True it's not FW as long as it's a regular or venerable dread wielding the autocannons, but in some clubs and events, even index options are not welcome. For instance I'm not allowed to use wargear from the index in the event I'll be attending on the 19th. So no autocannon dreads for me :/

That's incredibly lame. It's not like the rifleman is overpowered--not to mention GW released official statement about it...and SM are underpowered anyway.

I can understand not allowing proxies of the part, but if you go through the trouble of the conversion for WYSIWYG? Seriously?

another good option is a contemptor mortis dreadnought, BS 2+ and a invul save of 5 and a good movement.

Also tournaments which do not allow index options seems really weird and I would not bother with something like that, I mean Orks and space wolves would not be allowed and i guess IG always wins

Archived