Is it a faux pas to use more than one detachment and allies

BLACK BLΠFLY

Loved my 3rd edition Daemonhunter army. They're the reason I ended up with a full blown Cadian army also before things like Apocalypse chased me out of the game. Some soups are built for cheese, some for a better flavor. Individuals vary.

By the by, depending on what else is in your list, I wouldn't necessarily call adding a single Knight, Renegade or otherwise a beardy choice if the opponent has the kind of list built to take out tanks and monsters. Very well could just have given him the best target ever. 

It's hard to call for me. I have a friend who plays Guard/Mechanicus/Marines or Eldar/Dark Eldar/Harlequins in 2000 point games because he can't actually choose a single army. He flat out told me that he loves the Imperium as a faction because they have so many different armies he can mess with. I expect him to fall to Chaos in due time just so he can stuff a list filled with variety.

I currently use three detachments - each a separate faction. If I go to the GW shop I will bring just my Space marines since it is mostly casual gaming. How do you view using multiple detachments and factions? Does it automatically make you a power gamer or can it be cool too ?

I don't understand the question. You're allowed three detachments, you have three detachments. Are you mixing like...Eldar, Nids and Marines together? Because if not I don't get how this would be a problem.

Anyone who would point at the number of detachments you brought as why they lost, was never going to win anything anyway.

I don't understand the question. You're allowed three detachments, you have three detachments. Are you mixing like...Eldar, Nids and Marines together? Because if not I don't get how this would be a problem.

Anyone who would point at the number of detachments you brought as why they lost, was never going to win anything anyway.

Way too easy a soundbite to pass up. 

I guess technically that informal 'rule of three' it's also still a beta rule, a suggestion for event matched play along with round length and table size to be determined by organizers, not a hard coded limitation... yet.  It's all, like, about boundaries and expectations, man.  Go super hardcore by abusing 'the soup' and you could get some blowback regardless of whether it's permissible or not.   Every player is bound to have a slightly different take and level of comfort with all of this, and thus you might very well have to cultivate a very different attitude between a game with mates and a pick up game at the local shop.  That's kinda the social element of this all coming into play and there just isn't a page reference for those rules. 

Black Orange asked about a 'casual game at a local shop', and I'm a nice Canadian sort that errs on the side of harmonious caution: and that still says nothing because my views on the same subject 'multiple detachments/allies within the same army' is liable to be different and stupidly subjective based on the community, the armies, the units, creativity/lore/painting (paint hides a multitude of sins), weather, amount of sleep, level of noise, amount of caffeine intake, recent FAQ's, recent matches, and the players' attitude.  ... you just know that all of this would give a binaric ad-mech adept a techno-embolism. 

Do it or don't do it, you'll gonna have to face the outcomes either way.  To be safe, don't be a :censored:  is, like, the best advice I can conjure.  I'd say 'that's my two cents' but we got rid of pennies, and we round down, so my thoughts are worth literally nothing. 

Nobody ever takes allies that makes their army weaker. Funny that.

Fun fact, not everyone has 5 000 pts of painted miniatures readily available to draw a list from.

When I resumed the hobby a few years back, I picked up some Black Templars for myself and some Space Wolves for the wife. We got some 800 pts each table worthy so we could play each other and that was fine. Yet when offered to play a bigger game (say... 1500) I would bring both armies.

So perhaps refrain from making hasty judgments, some people bring soup armies... because that's all they have.

It strikes me that this issue is much, much less glaring than it was 3-4 years ago, and GW deserves a little credit for implementing a more intuitive alliance system (though only a little, as the old one was such unadulterated nonsense). There's much less of a dichotomy between fluffy and powerful choices, because they're often one and the same - even the most abusive Imperial soup list can claim a strong grounding in the lore, because 'soup' accurately describes a lot of Imperial deployments!

Archived