Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Raven guard 5th company

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

++ CICATRIX ASCENSORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,137 posts
3 more Isstvan-survivors reporting in; strike captain Alvarex Maun and two assault legionaries.

E02C9CF38C184743AF2B.jpeg
  • Race Bannon and duz_ like this

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,137 posts
I been through hobby-hell. Jumping from one project to another and buying :cussloads of miniatures. It got to a point when it was no fun anymore. It felt like a goddamn job, except not getting paid.

I seriously thought of just throwing away all these miniatures because it only brought stress.

I forgot why I love this.

Hiding ordered boxes of miniatures from my wife and :cuss. Like a drug-addict.

BUT I sat down and realized I need to scale down the hobby, or at least the amount of projects. I also realized that it is the Raven Guard that started me in the hobby. And it’s the raven guard that’s going to save me.

Abandoned all projects except my Iron hands (which are completed as an army) and my Raven Guard. The orks will stay. And a bonus-project when all my miniatures is painted.

For those who read all this crap, slowly started getting back to raven guard with:

1CA0254F3E4A4A05977D.jpeg
D51FED90DF334D5BB862.jpeg
7DA6191029254DF2A0A0.jpeg
86127448CA0D4EF0BD30.jpeg

• war009, Bjorn Firewalker, Brother Callidan and 3 others like this

thewarriorhunter

thewarriorhunter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,632 posts
  • Faction: Spectral Sicarii (RG Succesor)
Eliminator cloak looks great and I feel you on the hobby creep. When I first started into the hobby I was buying stuff left and right because it was a good deal and I could use it in my list. Fast forward a couple years and I realized I had too much stuff and I hobby way to slow.

I sold off a bunch of stuff that I wasn't going to use and really trimmed down my backlog. I still have more than I'd like but it's in a better place. I'm also completing 2-3 units for every one I buy and I've held off on buying any new models since Shadowspear.

I think it's very easy to get carried away with purchases because at least for me, when I purchase I think I'm also buying the time to hobby and play and that's not the case.

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,462 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Excellent works. I especially like the sniper. Is his camo cloak displaying an urban combat pattern?
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Shadow Captain Vyper

Shadow Captain Vyper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,270 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard

I really feel you on your situation. The decisions you have made are wise ones, and the work thus far since the reboot is excellent.

Look forward to seeing more!

"A Mind Without Purpose Will Wander in Dark Places..."

gallery_16835_13820_5804.jpggallery_6494_6331_8260.png

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,137 posts
Thanks alot guys! Its silly, really, that a hobby can turn into a damn tyranid thats devouvering you.

Even Raven Guard is too close to 30k, and it was 30k that had a negative impact on my hobby, so youll from now on see me in my revived Raptors-thread πŸ‘πŸ»
  • duz_ likes this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,695 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
I really like the eliminator cloak, what's your process?
  • Johanhgg likes this

golfdeltafoxtrot

golfdeltafoxtrot

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 394 posts

That skin tone is great, care to share your recipe?

• Johanhgg likes this

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,137 posts
Thanks alot guys!

Cloak: administratum grey basecoat -> nuln oil wash -> drybrush administratum Grey getting colour back up -> with an old brush stipple corvus black in random patterns -> random black dots (i keep them in groups of three) -> little white dots in the black dots πŸ˜€

Face: really easy: administratum Grey with a white drybrush -> nuln oil all over wash -> done ✌🏼
  • Brom MKIV, infyrana, SkimaskMohawk and 2 others like this

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,137 posts
Im going forward with Raven Guard after all. It was fun painting black. These guys form the first 4 of my soon to be 10 man strong veteran intercessor-squad:

1A5E7564A32542EE876E.jpeg
  • war009, Brother Callidan and duz_ like this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,392 posts
Yay!

After seeing those Eliminators I was disappointed we wouldn't see more

Those guys are great too! What did you use for the skin???
  • Johanhgg likes this

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,137 posts

Yay!

After seeing those Eliminators I was disappointed we wouldn't see more

Those guys are great too! What did you use for the skin???

Thanks man! You will definatly see more πŸ˜€ the skin is easy-peazy; administratum grey basecoat-> a little white drybrush and a liberal coat of nuln oil✌🏼

Started weathering the first one as well cause.. it needs weathering of course. These are not some fresh out the vats-chumps, they are veterans!

19D0D7ECD2344D8E82CB.jpeg
227DBE59A21149A787D9.jpeg

• Brom MKIV, Bjorn Firewalker, Brother Callidan and 1 other like this

Shadow Captain Vyper

Shadow Captain Vyper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,270 posts

Your highlighting on the black looks like a combination of edge highlighting and dry-brushing. Please do tell!

• Johanhgg likes this

"A Mind Without Purpose Will Wander in Dark Places..."

gallery_16835_13820_5804.jpggallery_6494_6331_8260.png

thewarriorhunter

thewarriorhunter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,632 posts
  • Faction: Spectral Sicarii (RG Succesor)

Weathering looks great. I'm about to jump into the decal game as well. Do you use micro set/sol or some other method?

• Johanhgg likes this

war009

war009

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,925 posts
  • Faction: Raptors/ Grey Knights
Awesome man
  • Johanhgg likes this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,462 posts

Awesome man

I second that. The new model looks appropriately intimidating.
  • Johanhgg likes this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,137 posts
Thanks alot guys! Really appreciate it! Ive really missed this great sub-forum!

My way of painting black is like this:

Black spray undercoat -> abbadon black and water 2:1 basecoat -> vmc german Grey and abbadon black 1:1 rather heavy drybrush -> german Grey drybrush -> mechanicum Grey light drybrush on sharp edges -> paint all metallics -> all over coat of nuln oil -> with small brush paint thin lines and random dots with leadbelcher on armour where some wear and tear is expected πŸ‘πŸ»

No i dont use Microset and stuff actually, i cut the decal in places where i think there will be wrinkles on the decal, then just dip it in hot water and apply it. After it is dry I use some matt varnish to matt it down 😊

Some more work tonight, stoked about finally started the Librarian from shadowspear, he has been unassembled for like 1 year 😳

07D923CFA4F542A08F40.jpeg
  • Brom MKIV, duz_ and thewarriorhunter like this

Brom MKIV

Brom MKIV

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,599 posts
  • Faction: Black Watch
Incredible black scheme brother, well done.
  • Johanhgg likes this

..All Space Marine legions and chapters, loyal and traitor, cast a shadow that resembles the Dark Angels.
-FerociousBeast

The only reason that Bjorn is in a dreadnought is that he fought Chuck Norris and won but the backlash of that much awesome mortally wounded him.....
-Emptyedens

"My IG infantry would kill for bolters... but they have lasguns, so they can't" -stripeydave

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,137 posts

Incredible black scheme brother, well done.

Thanks alot brother! Really appreciate your comment!

Squad sgt and 1 battlebrother almost done, bases need fixing

25F7760CACF544D38BAA.jpeg
BFA3FAB229F14A989C87.jpeg

• Dracos, duz_ and thewarriorhunter like this

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,137 posts
Working on the Librarian. Hes the first of the hqs to be worked on, a sneaky lt and shrike comes later.

EF52398D365B478E8346.jpeg
  • Brom MKIV, Brother Callidan, duz_ and 1 other like this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,392 posts
Again the camo looks great :tu:

golfdeltafoxtrot

golfdeltafoxtrot

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 394 posts

This is amazing work, I love the matt grey/black finish.

Weathering looks great. I'm about to jump into the decal game as well. Do you use micro set/sol or some other method?

Microsol and Microset are one of the best hobby investments I've made. They're so cheap, and a bottle of each will last for all eternity. I've done a lot of decals in the not-quite-2 years since I came back into the hobby and Microsol/set have made them so easy, especially on awkwardly shaped areas like knee pads. They're totally worth the minimal investment.

• thewarriorhunter likes this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,462 posts
I like the camouflage pattern on the Primaris Librarian's cloak. Excellent work.

Johanhgg

Johanhgg

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,137 posts
Thanks Bjorn!

2 more veterans for 30k, acting small marine-tacticals in 40k

40CB2E3E65E84F78A5E0.jpeg
  • duz_ and thewarriorhunter like this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++