A new player...with some questions!

Kimbo

Hi everyone. Feeling really excited!!

As of this week i just bought a fairly large Necron army and I got some questions that i hope you can help me with!

- What do you think of the Doomsday Ark and the Doom Sythe? Are they playable? How would you run them this edition? Best dynasty for them?

- same as above, but for Annihilation Barge's?

- What are the do's and dont's in this army? Auto include units?

- any general tips for a new player beginning with this army? Any combos that is good to know about?

Any comments that helps be to better understand this army is well appriciated!

Cheers

Hi everyone. Feeling really excited!!

As of this week i just bought a fairly large Necron army and I got some questions that i hope you can help me with!

- What do you think of the Doomsday Ark and the Doom Sythe? Are they playable? How would you run them this edition? Best dynasty for them?

How can you not play them as they sound like B movie villain super weapons.

On a more serious note I sussect the doom scythe is likely over priced point wise for only d3 shots in comparison to a devastator/havoc unit with say 2 las cannons and 2 missile launchers the damage output just expensive especially when it's about 70 points more than the Ark, if the deathray was d6 shots it would be much more interesting (or 50 points less). 

The Ark with the Doomsday cannon and flayer array gives you so much more bang for your buck. 

- same as above, but for Annihilation Barge's?

A solid choice and always has been. I'm not sure of the best load out and the ability in 8th to split fire at will mean having two guns with different preferred targets on the same vehicle might mean it's not a bad choice.

I'm planning on full Telsa on a couple and support with immortals with Gauss to allow target prioritising to start at deployment and to allow for separate battlefield positions.

- What are the do's and dont's in this army? Auto include units?

- any general tips for a new player beginning with this army? Any combos that is good to know about?

Any comments that helps be to better understand this army is well appriciated!

Cheers

The Armies resilience is supposed to be their main strength so try not to get to carried away with special options and then l;ose out on reanimation protocols and also make sure to take advantage of synergy between character buffs and units to get the best value from buff bubbles.  

DDAY arks are good for just about everything, tbh, and are one of the best units in the codex at the moment. However, they don’t synergies well with most dynastic traits, so unless you can afford to bring multiple to the table as a spearhead detachment in a specialized dynasty (i.e nihilakh and sautekh) don’t worry about their trait.

Doom Scythe is only good on Sautekh, as any other one it automatically gets -1 to hit with the death ray. Bring them in an auxiliary/flyer wing detachment with sautekh or not at all, essentially. Don’t be afraid to spend that 1 CP for an auxiliary detachment, as the no modifier to hit makes up for it.

I haven’t played with Annie barges much this edition, but they have all assault weapons so nephrek is good for them, as well as sautekh so they can advance and fire at no penalty. Whichever one you want is probably the best here. As a unit I think they’re a tad overpriced but still good.

The only autotake units we have that I can think of are our HQ’s, really, Overlords and Crypteks are worth their weight in metagold. Scarabs for smite buffers and wraiths for combat are close seconds.

I won’t give a full rundown on codes but the worst IMO is Nihilakh, and that is only because it requires you build around it and plan your battle plan around it. If you have a ljat that takes advantage of it, it’s good, but if not it tends to get wasted since we are slow with short-ranged guns. Good but situational, and it’s our worst. That should tell you about the rest of the codes and their statuses, honestly, as they get better from there.

Combos that work well as I understand them: My Will Be Done and Tesla immortals, MWBD and essentially everything, Destroyers, a destroyer lord, and their stratagem, DDAY arks and nihilakh, Ghost Arks and warriors, Chronoteks and infantry, Cloakteks and wraiths/vehicles, and probably several more I don’t know about.

Overall tips: don’t be afraid to use 2CP for a autopass morale check on a badly damaged unit, as that will save several models that otherwise can’t be reanimated due to morale.

Understand how RP works and use it to your full advantage. Why yes, this one warrior did reanimate 14 of his squadmates this turn, I don’t understand why you’re confused? (Note: likely requires cryptek and a ressurection orb/ghost ark).

Use ghost arks to reanimate warriors as opposed to ressurection orbs. The orbs can be used on things like immortals or destroyers or wraiths, so don’t waste it on warriors when a ghost ark is present and able to do the job instead. (Use common sense with this, however, if the nearest ghost ark is across the board use that orb to save that unit. The dice may be kind to you.)

Target saturation. If you bring a vehicle, bring more. One vehicle dies super quickly, three or more ensure that you still have fire support after turn one.

Overall, play smart and play to our strengths of good firepower and the occasional surprise mobility and combat punch. Don’t put warriors in combat, but 10 Lychguard or lots of wraiths that survive to charge into Melee are absolutely terrifying.

Good luck, and welcome to the tombs!

Archived