501st Swaibian, olde Cadian style

Arkaniss

gallery_27469_9459_7693.jpg
So this is the beginning of the WIP for my Imperial Guard! The Commissars have been looming over me and sadly they haven't forgotton my promise to make a thread for my IG army :laugh.: I've painted two models so far thanks to some Barracks events but I have a load more to do yet. Some are ready to go, others are taking a Dettol bath :tongue.:

sml_gallery_27469_9459_110874.jpgsml_gallery_27469_9459_162385.jpg

It's a simple yet effective scheme. Nice and grimdarkian - the only difference is that I intend to use Armageddon Dust for their bases instead of the modelling sand used here. I use it so much with my other armies I want to do something different!

Took me a while but I found the old fluff I wrote for the ancient Blood and Glory barracks event:

HISTORY

Like many other systems Swaibia was plunged into darkness during the Age of Strife and while all knowledge of what happened was
lost, Imperial records note that upon reintroduction to the rest of mankind after the warp storms ended the planet of Swaibia III
was the only planet with any life left, the other 2 habited planets being nothing more than barren husks. Whatever internal strife
that reduced them to ruin was unable to be discovered.

The inhabitants of Swaibia III, if indeed they knew anything, refused to give anything away to the inquiries of the Imperials. What
they did find was a series of independent kingdoms - 6 in total, each of which only too happy to tell all about why the other
kingdoms were not to be trusted, cowardly, traitorous and deserving nothing but death and destruction.

The various kingdoms were constantly at a state of war with at least one other faction, however they came about being lost to the
voids of time and presumably the reasons for them all being at each other throats constantly with it. Cut off from any forge World
and at a constant state of conflict their equipment was old technology, several editions behind the Imperial forces who came to the
planet. Soldiers re-used guns, armour, helmets, tanks, aircraft - everything was recycled and nothing could be wasted. Despite this
technological deficit the forces of the planet were battle hardened and disciplined. A fact that Imperial observers did not miss.

The Imperium wasted no time in threatening, coercing and persuading all the kingdoms to come together and accept Imperial rule.
Being backed up by a vast and powerful fleet and army most likely helped the Swaibians see the error of their ways. Though the
first few decades were a trial with no end of disagreements and misunderstandings (deliberate or otherwise), almost coming to blows
more times than anyone cares to remember. However the all encompassing comfort of being reunited with mankind under the leadership
of this new Emperor helped put things into perspective... not to mention first contact with Xenos.

A central location was selected to avoid insult to any of the Kingdoms and a manufactorum was set up to ensure the Swaibians would
be kept supplied. Over time military installations and training grounds sprung up around it as the font of all weapons and armour,
creating a miniature realm unto itself. Under the watchful eye of Imperial observers the Swaibians were brought into line and
prepared for joining the countless billions of humans under arms in the Emperor's name. During this acclimatisation period old
feuds still reared their ugly heads and despite outward appearances of unity there were still simmering tensions between the forces
of the 6 Kingdoms. This was to be expected and the Imperial liaisons were mostly prepared for any incident, after all Swaibia was
lucky to be far from any Xenos threat and it was all to easy for them to forget about the perils of the universe and concentrate on
their own petty rivals and conflicts. However, as the saying goes foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully. After the first
battle against the Orks the Swaibians found it a lot easier to come together and unite against the common foe.

Which is not to say they had it easy. Their first battle was a pyrrhic victory at best, their armies only just holding back the Ork
onslaught with terrible casualties. The Swaibians were shocked and appalled at the ferocity of the greenskin and baffled by their
unconventional warfare. The Swaibians would have to learn quickly the new rules of war if they were to survive.

So the Swaibian armies moulded together in the crucible of war, their force shrinking after every campaign but becoming well versed
in the modern art of war against all the foes imaginable. Blood feuds hundreds of years old were forgotten, bonds were forged anew
in the light of the Emperor - kingdoms which spared no quarter to each other previously now competed for accolades and glory in the
Great Crusade... but it was not to last. The Horus Heresy was in motion and the terrible events of those years were to change
everything.

As with many chronicles of the Heresy, as indeed the Age of Strife before it, today no clear picture can be conjured of what
happened. It is certain that the Swabians sided with the loyalist forces but what they did, where they were and what happened to
most of them none can say. Many years after events had settled and the Imperial forces began to pick up the pieces one fragment of
the Swaibian army returned to their home world. The 501st numbered only just over half a million soldiers and they were exhausted
and broken. The survivors retreated to their barracks to lick their wounds, none of them returning to their original homes. These
were dark times for the whole Imperium, but the spirit of mankind cannot be broken. The 501st would rebuild the Swaibian war
machine and rejoin the fight for mankind's survival. The Imperium would climb back up the cliff it had fallen down and the
Swabiians vowed to do their part once more.

THE 7TH KINGDOM

After the loss of so many men and women in the Great Crusade the Swaibians declared that from henceforth there would always be a
501st Regiment under arms in honour of the few who made it home. The barracks and infrastructure around the Manufactorum were given
over to the 501st (a formality as any attempts to entice them out met with failure) and was enshrined in law for eternity as a
separate realm, independent of any of the other 6 Kingdoms. The 501st would be kept in existence by filling it with the best
soldiers from all the kingdoms, outfitted with the very weapons that the original members carried into the Great Crusade. This body
of men and women would carry with them the scarred lasguns, battle tanks and flags of their ancestors - with them they would smite
the foes of the Emperor like they did before at the pinnacle of human endeavour. Thus would those days never die and they would
stand eternal alongside the Emperor himself. So it has always been - the 501st is always kept at full strength, skimming the very
best from other regiments to keep it at fighting strength and leading from the front. The 501st are put in the most critical
positions, the most forlorn attacks and the most desperate defences. Each time they have not been found wanting.

Some say the light of the Emperor from the times of the Great Crusade still resides in the ancient wargear they use, spurring them
onto great acts of valour, always snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Whatever it is the men and women of the 501st rightly
believe they are the best that Swaibia has to offer. There is a unique esprit de corps in the regiment, surpassing all previous
fealty to Kingdom or ruler. They were nicknamed the 7th Kingdom - as a separate kingdom with no land, no history and no old
rivalries - and some say even then that the 7th Kingdom resides back in the legendary days of the Great Crusade when the Emperor
himself still strode among mortals.

So it is that to be in the 501st is to be closer to the glorious days of the Great Crusade, their brave ancestors and to the
Emperor himself. Who could not feel a part of something special, a part of a greater cause and belief when the humble lasgun in
your grip once crossed the stars in the name of the Emperor to unite the fragmented children of Mankind?

I am committed, then! I shall rustle up a squad or two over the next few days and start the ball rolling :smile.:

Edited by Arkaniss

Ah, I also found a bit of old fluff for my first model painted!

My Lord,

As requested here is the write up for the Guardsmen Einzig. As I am sure you will see I humbly recommend this Guardsmen for your personal retinue. I am sure he will be a valuable addition.

Roster file for: Guardsman Han Einzig, Private of the 501st Swaibian Shock Troopers
+CONFIDENTIAL+
FOR RANKS LIEUTENANT AND ABOVE ONLY

HISTORY

+++Deleted upon promotion to the 7th Kingdom+++

Apologies, My Lord. This is as you are aware standard procedure and it's thorough and irrevocable and alas it cannot be recovered.

ADDENDUM: 7th Kingdom History

Upon recent enlistment into the 501st Guardsman Einzig has proven to be an able soldier and performs admirably in all situations he has faced. This extends to special and heavy weapons that while not specifically trained for these weapons he has picked up a working knowledge of them to operate in battlefield situations. Some feats which warrant highlighting:

=+Tenaci Worlds Campaign: Battle for Towks Town+=
Took part in the week long conflict for the bitterly contested outlying Hive town of Towk and after being the first squad into its perimeter recovering a plasma rifle from a deceased squad member after the ambush which killed or wounded the present Sergeants, preventing it from falling into heretic hands and then using it effectively to repulse the enemy allowing time for an organised retreat. With the addition of several squads of Shock Troopers and Chimera support he lead the remains of his squad back into the town and is confirmed as first through the breach and accountable for at least 34 heretic deaths.

+Commended by Captain Booth post-action, commendation revoked immediately afterwards for use of a weapon without proper training.+

=+Tenaci Worlds Campaign: Siege of Hive Cardholt+=
As one of the squads in the battalion that commenced the siege, Einzig and his unit were instrumental in securing the encirclement against several night break out attempts (or raids, no heretics survived to be interrogated as to their aim) and was praised by the new Sergeant for his prowess in close combat. 3 weeks later when the Hive was surrounded and the order given for no prisoners Guardsmen Einzig was part of the front line and was tireless and unwavering in his accuracy. All heretics attempting to flee the mass poison gas attack on the hive were killed. Due to the sheer numbers of heretics it cannot be estimated at his individual kills.

+No commendation+

=+Tenaci Worlds Campaign: Defence of Kaul Pass+=
Guardsmen Einzig once again found himself at the front line at the recovery post in Kaul Pass where the last remnants of the heretic forces made a last ditch attempt to break through 501st lines. Coming from an unexpected angle the heretic forces bore down on Kaul Pass where several regiments of Shock Troopers were resting after the successful capture of Hive Cardholt. Guardsmen Einzig is credited with spotting the heretics and making it to the recovery post in time to raise the alarm. Captain Booth was in attendance to rally the forces at his disposal and repel the attack. Valkyrie squadrons in the area were re-directed and provided support to the counter-attack which destroyed the heretic force. Guardsmen Einzig was once again at the forefront of the attack.

+Commended by Captain Booth, commendation revoked post-action upon discovery that Guardsmen Einzig was out of bounds when he spotted the heretic attack+

FINAL NOTES

Guardsmen Einzig is a typical Swaibian Shock Trooper. Courageous, skilful and intelligent he has more than once proved his ability and proved his merit in the 501st. Regrettably he also shares the trait of some 7th Kingdom Guardsmen of thinking not all the rules need apply to them. As such he remains uncredited with many brave actions as he seems unable to somehow tarnish his achievement. Something which in the strict regimes of the 7th Kingdom is an issue but in your line of work my Lord I think he is ideally suited.

In conclusion, he is the ideal soldier and I would happily have more like him and I am confident he will excel in the less regimented profession of your noble self.

Your humble servant,

Captain Booth
501st Swaibian Shock Troopers

Adds some flavour to the Regiment :smile.: I shall have to make this Captain Booth of which I spoke :tongue.:

Edit: Hello Harrowmaster! Thanks for the post, yes indeed the old metal Cadians. The entire army is!

Edited by Arkaniss

Cheers snorkle! I poked around and found the fluff I wrote for the Plasmagunner :smile.:

Corporal Joe Chooi is a grizzled veteran of the 501st and has served many years in loyal service to Commander Bistmakt, following her
from battlefield to battlefield across the stars. Showing an early aptitude for plasma weaponry and combined with a steely nerve
(some would say a requirment for being a plasmagunner) and iron discipline he was a rising star within the best of the Swaibian
stock. His plasmagun is as with all 7th Kingdom wargear an ancient relic and Chooi has never once had a misfire or overheat in
decades of service. He named her Natalie. If the name has any meaning to the Corporal he has never confirmed or denied.

Tech Adepts have long since given up trying to figure out why this one plasmagun has suddenly shown a disinclination to kill it's
user, though occasionally a young overzealous Adept might try his luck only to be disappointed. Chooi himself dutifully puts up
with such intrusions and only says that he believes that his insistance on never touching Natalie with bare hands and lovingly
cleaning and caring for her is the answer. He even has a blanket he carries around with which he rolls up Natalie at night to keep
her safe and protected.

Experiments in giving other plasmagunners an extra blanket and gloves have so far proven unsuccessful in reducing plasma overheats.

Reading his file an outsider might be surprised that such a soldier is only a Corporal, even more so at his age. Anyone who thinks
this however is clearly showing that not only do they not know the man but that they probably haven't even met him. Chooi is
devoted to his commanding officer and the simple fact is that once he made it as far up as the commanders retinue he simply
stopped showing an interest in further promotion.

He is jokingly referred to as a bit of a cliche as he plays the grizzled veteran of countless campaigns very well. Younger troops
will stare at his weathered and cracked face and marvel at his seemingly inexhaustible backlog of annecdotes and stories about his
life. Despite shaving every day as per regulation he seems to have a permanent 5 o'clock shadow which only seems to enhance his
reputation.

Anybody who knows the strange connection between Chooi and Bistmakt is long dead, both of them venerable old soldiers and
attempting to get any information from them is a fools errand. Observers can only note that Chooi is clearly devoted to his
commander and takes very seriously his duty in protecting her on and off the battlefield. Bistmakt herself obviously trusts this
old soldier implicitly and it is a rare sight indeed not to see them together. Whether it's on the battlefield giving orders or in
a command tent planning the next operation, anyone in her proximinty feels the constant presence of Corporal Chooi. He watches
everyone, not matter their rank or apparant trustworthiness - no-one is above his suspicion or steely gaze.

Inquisitors, Tech Priests, Generals, Admirals or even Astartes, it matters not to Chooi. He will stare balefully at anyone who gets
too close to Bistmakt and is ever ready to unleash the arcane power of Natalie to protect her. To this day no assassin or
malcontent has ever made an attempt on Comander Bistmakt, over many decades of service there has not once been any threat, public
or otherwise to her life. If Chooi knows something everyone else doesn't or if he's just oveprotective no-one knows.

One this is for sure though, wherever Commander Bistmakt deems her prescence needed most on the battlefield there will be
Corporal Chooi and Natalie. Fellow command squad comrades have come and gone, some to the side of the Emperor, others onwards and
upwards to greater things but Chooi is always there. As such the soldiers under Bistmakt's command are confident in victory no
matter the odds - one glance at their fearless Commander leading the way and her unflappable bodyguard shooting his plasmagun as
carefree as if it were a humble Lasgun is enough to know that it's business as usual and once more the Emperor shall be victorious.

I've rustled up some Guardsmen and even some slotta bases so I hope to have something to show in the next couple of days :thumbsup:

Time for an update! Sadly no pictures to show yet but that's because there is nothing yet worth showing... :P

I've gathered 20 models to make a couple of squads and I'm in the process of cleaning them up after stripping the previous (terribad) paint job. Those who have done this know how slow and tedious that can be! All that detail with it's nooks and crevices :wallbash:It's one of those little and often jobs.

I've also got a Lieutenant and Commissar ready so well on the way to a Battalion to get me started :tu: A group shot for next week I reckon, then you can all harass me about when I'm getting them painted :laugh.: 

Yep that's what I use. I will clear out the larger bits but I won't get every last bit of old paint - that way lies madness! Some models came up better than others. I am curious to see the batch I've left in the Dettol for months. I'm expecting/hoping great things from that gestation period :teehee:

• 4 weeks later...

So as usual things didn't go as I originally planned, I ended up distracted by Kill Team. Which is very good if you've not tried it yet!

Anyway, I have gotten somewhat back on track:

med_gallery_27469_9459_1013796.jpg

It seems I never learn my lesson - I recall grumbling about stripping too many models before and I did the same again :tongue.: Took me a while but they came up really well. Then again I used dettol and an ultrasonic cleaner on them then left them pickling in the dettol for months... so I can recommend this method as highly successful if anyone else is stripping models :sweat:

Next step is to start assembling a few so I can get a legal squad :smile.:

• 4 months later...

So I'm currently hobbying away on another project but my idea for 2019 is to switch between things to hopefully avoid burnout - and my current plans are nearing an end and I find myself pondering my next move...

Which the commissariat may be please to read is my IG! :D That said I'd like some help. For those that don't know the olde Cadians I'm using didn't use bases for their heavy weapons so that's something I'll be adding. I have some bases ready but I'm stuck with what terrain to use to spice them up?

I'm going for an urban/rubble type basing so I'm thinking ruins, walls, rubble and sandbags etc... If anyone has any links or examples for me that would be awesome :tu: My searchfu is pretty bad and I've struggled to find anything inspiring :sweat:

This does please the commissariat indeed :tu:

Although further investigation into these other projects distracting you from your regimental duties will be required ...

Secret Weapon has some great options

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=52

I like their ruined jersey barriers

Cheers Duz! I checked them out, I think the jersey barriers might be a bit too tall though? The picture has them on the ground next to a model on a base, so putting it on the base would make them too big. I did like the broken columns - that's given me another item idea to put on bases :)

I got them to use with my HWT's

They are just the right size for my Mordian Heavy bolters, maybe slightly tall given theyre sitting down, but not noticable

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of them, but I have mocked them up to see

This is the best I can give you for scale, although its not the best for that purpose

gallery_87434_11578_173616.jpg

PS. Yarrick is actually on a 25mm base sitting on a 32mm base, so he is slightly taller than normal

Edited by duz_

Yeah that's what I mean, without the 25mm base it'd look too tall? I'll see if I can scrounge up some bits to use and I'll also check GW! I remember the old crates and stuff I'm not sure if you can still get them?

Well, here's a surprise they still do it! https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Battlefield-Accessories-Set

Also the Munitorum Container kits come with some barrels and stuff so I think I'm set to get started :biggrin.: Cheers for the help :thumbsup:

Edit: Heh, great minds think alike? ;)

Edited by Arkaniss