53rd Army Group

• 2 months later...
It's been quite a while since I last updated but I haven't been idle. Here's the first Steel Legion taurox using the conversion kit from Zinge. The kit is great, the wheels alone make the taurox so much better looking but the windows are probably my favourite bit (mostly as I don't have to paint the interior). 

Taurox 2

Taurox 1

The wheels look good! I'm curious - does the wheel kit increase the taurox's height at all?

Thanks. I don't think it does but I've never built one without this kit and I haven't seen any in person so I don't really have anything to compare it to. 

More work done tonight, here's two of the Steel Legion Chimeras: 

Chimera 2

Chimera 1

Also started on the bullgryns, not sure what colour to do the armour, suggestions welcome; though I do like the grey fatigues. 

Bullgryn 1

I normally don't hate the weird tracks that the Taurox comes standard with but I really like that upgrade kit! The wheels are fine but the rest of the bits and baubles are pretty cool. Good luck with exams and keep us posted on this project for sure.

The wheels are great, as are all the other little bits that come in the kit to really bring the model to life. Exams are well past at this stage, thanks though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Battle report time: I played a game on Tuesday 30th July against a friend's Black Legion. 

My list: 

Cadian Battalion:

Company commander: Power maul, plasma pistol, grand strategist.

Primaris psyker: Nightshroud,  psychic barrier. 

2 Infantry squads: Grenade launchers, heavy bolters. 

Infantry squad: Grenade launcher, autocannon. 

Bullgyrns: Mauls; 1 brute shield, 2 slabshields. 

Platoon commander: Bolt pistol; Relic of Lost Cadia.

Basilisk

Executioner with plasma cannons

Mortar squad

Kasrkin patrol:

Commander with command rod and power maul. 

10 kasrkin with plasma pistol and 3 meltaguns. 

10 kasrkin with plasma pistol; power sword and 2 plasma guns. 

His list (not exact): 

Abbadon

5 Termis with fists and reaper autocannon

2 x 10 CSMs with power maul and plasma guns 

5 raptors with power fist

Havocs with missile launchers

Hellbrute with reaper autocannon and heavy flamer. 

The game started off really well for him, getting first turn and wiping an infantry squad; while my shooting didn't do anything bar kill a chaos marine or two (I did consolidate the 2 remaining infantry squads though). I also forgot about the relic which helped him. He got a second turn charge on the russ (thankfully defensive gunners saved it) with the raptors and rolled poorly, only taking a wound off. Ihe infantry suffered more casualties; with the bullgryns taking a wound. 

On my turn two, I dropped all the kasrkin behind his lines and wiped the havocs with pinpoint fire (take aim and stormtrooper doctrine combined are really good). I had to pull the russ out of combat this turn so couldn't shoot. I did remember the relic though and the basilisk took the hellbrute to two wounds and the mortars wiped the raptors. The infantry managed to down a terminator (would have been more had I remembered the grenade launchers). And the bullgryns closed in on the CSMs. 

Turn three swung it for me. He completely ignored the kasrkin and stormed towards my lines, killing more infantry and wiping the mortars. The hellbrute tried to charge the russ but defensive gunners and overcharged plasma blew it up, the resulting explosion taking out 2 chaos marines. On my turn, the kasrkin moved forward and blew Abbadon off the field (the full firepower of the 2 squads), with the storm trooper doctrine helping. The russ managed to badly mangle 1 unit of CSMs while the basilisk and infantry finished the termis. The remaining CSMs took a charge from the bullgryns and lost about 3 models, with my brutes suffering no wounds. 

After that it was basically a mop up exercise on my part. It just goes to show how close things can get, as at the end of turn 2 it looked like I wasn't going to make it. 

Relic of Lost Cadia is great, the extra bonus against Chaos really helps and defensive gunners is a great strat. Grand strategist is a lifesaver as without extra CPs for morale and rerolls I don't know how I would have fared. 

A good win! I think the big mistake was ignoring the Stormies, but that's part of what makes them good in that you can present a threat from nowhere on the other side of the table from your main force - very easy to make the wrong decision :wink: This kind of thing is my plan for when I have a few more Stormies ready for battle :)

• 11 months later...

Bit of an absence too :laugh.:

Will the motor pool be ready shortly?

I think mech inf might be on the decks for 9th ed

Or at least I'm hoping so!

Quite a bit, heresy is partially to blame as I've been working on my IH and militia. 

I hope it will be ready, annihilator is already done and finished this off tonight:

SL chimera completion 1

There's another chimera, two tauroxes and a command punisher to go before I move onto the infantry and command squads 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update, I managed to get the hull of a company command tank (Orion) painted to a table top standard (at least for me)

Orion hull completion

This is the first russ I ever built so it's physically a bit more beat up than the later ones (and the sponsons don't have the front piece, I honestly can't remember if that's just the old kit or I somehow missed them) 

• 1 month later...

Long time no post. 

First up is a completion of the command tank for the Cadian 12th Armoured's "No 1" company the Orion

Orion completion

I've mentioned in the previous post that this is the first russ I ever built so the model is quite battered and the greens don't match up (due to the paint change). In universe she's the oldest serving tank in the regiment having been patched up and re-painted several times. The tank has never commanded the 12th though as she's considered a good luck charm and to move her from No 1 Company would break tradition and invite disaster. 

I have a couple of questions the barracks may be able to help with

1. I'm going to get a regimental CCS for the Cadian 1st from Anvil I'm just unsure as to what gear to give them, the Colonel is decided (power maul and bolter), they will of course get the standard but I have loads of voxes and the medic just seems kind of "meh" I'm half thinking a weapon team or maybe some plasmas or grenade launchers, any thoughts?

2. I was considering picking up some of the Wargames Atlantic Raumjager to fill out the 119th Steel Legion, I have already used some anvil regiments models, does anyone know how they size up?

This is the aesthetic from Anvil I've gone with compared to the wargames Atlantic guys, do you think they would work well or clash?

Steel Legion Plasma 1

54515970_409032542995953_253095442572430