Foundry 144 - Large-Scale Terrain Projects

The first of six reactors is finished.  It wasn't as bad as I expected, but it will still take me a few weeks to finish the rest.

DCytzQXl.jpg

dfX0BFSl.jpg

I'm beginning to gear up for painting the shelves.  I had previously painted a resin AdeptiCon-special void shield generator with a similar laticework.  The lattices were painted metal, and the underlying panels magenta (as is my AdMech color scheme). 

qFnYLzjl.jpg

However, applying the same scheme to the gantry might overload it with red and would take quite a while to do.  I think that the Titan and other terrain elements would provide enough color to make it interesting to the eye.  I'm instead considering painting the shelves a simple grungy metal.  What do you think?

Gun metal grey sounds fine for the bulk and as a good background for the rest. However I would also love to see more details added to the shelves that allows for smaller spot colours. Nothing crazy but with access to a 3d printer I'd print bunch of reliquaries up to stick sculls in andglue them between the angles of the shelf edges. Also some Aquilas so that you can have some brass/gold in there two to break up the metal.

• 4 weeks later...

With the lifting of the warp storms of 2018, what can I show for about a month of progress...

I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather to spray down the shelving units:

RuR1OJrl.jpg

I printed out a couple pages of hazard stripes, and then cut them down to size:

1AcY5aIl.jpg

A little trimming and some light coats of PVA glue, and the gantry is slightly safer:

yFYm4Pil.jpg

I took a day to rub them down with black wash and then sealed them with matte varnish:

7PfYHPhl.jpg

Other pieces have begun falling into place.  The stairs and elevator hatchways were installed:

kM19y9Al.jpg

I also installed the computer terminals, and added some additional ventwork:

qCkmeXRl.jpg

The current task is mounting the overhead hoist runners:

jl1DJqjl.jpg

zxZipTKl.jpg

I'm finally onto the last of 6 Haemotrope Reactors - each has taken me six days, so I'm really glad to put that behind me.  I have a few more sections of promethium pipeline to work on, and then the second level should be complete.  Then there's the lighting, and the signage, and setting up the table to hold the completed structure...

Plenty of work left to be done, and about a month and a half until the big day.

OFISpYSl.jpg

Good lord am I glad to be done with these damned reactors.  Back to the pipes...

I've also been experimenting with lighting.  The faces of the shelving units have hollow posts - I would imagine to serve as mounting points to bolt them to a wall, though they're far too flimsy.  I tried out some 10 mm clear resin bulkhead lights, and they work perfectly with the LED strands.

6FwGelWl.jpg

H6cvKOpl.jpg

1g44eLhl.jpg

This weekend I'm cleaning out my gaming room and setting the table.  Next will be installing the lighting strands, and then on to wrapping up the filler.

I still wonder if some Aquilas in the V sections would work out nicely.

Now that is an interesting idea...  I can see a few areas on the front and back where aquilas could be squeezed in quite well...  That would go a long way to "Imperializing" the structure, since it's comparatively lacking in Gothic aesthetic.

Another major milestone was hit this weekend.  I took the day to reorganize the controlled clutter lurking underneath my gaming table, and rearranged the room to set up the gantry in its final location.

bwBEZZWl.jpg

The signage plates have been mounted and stained.

SnMB4o5l.jpg

And I managed to wire up the entire ceiling, and later half of the third level, before running out of twist ties. More will be here by Monday, and by next weekend the entire complex should be lit.

8A98lokl.jpg

The lighting arrangement is a little haphazard, but it serves its purpose just fine.  No one will see the chaos unless they play kneeling down.

Now that is an interesting idea...  I can see a few areas on the front and back where aquilas could be squeezed in quite well...  That would go a long way to "Imperializing" the structure, since it's comparatively lacking in Gothic aesthetic.

I would definitely get one each end of the top floor flanking the name plate fitted in the two full Vs of the structure.

Also Reliquaries of skulls in the 4 upside down Vs would help with that Gothic look. You could print the basic shape of them and then use the GW skull set to fill each one so they look unique. The old cities of death stuff had loads of skulls in all sorts of sized nooks and crannies.

The gantry is all wired up, and Lux Aeterna has been installed for his big day:

mp3mPcbl.jpg

hI5wqEll.jpg

EutNdVfl.jpg

z8ipMSil.jpg

PSlirzMl.jpg

Now I can focus on painting up as much filler terrain as I can find.  The new Mekboy Workshop, in particular, seems promising...

• 3 weeks later...

Three weeks until the big day and levels 1 and 2 are finished.

RBmTzn3l.jpg

zpltxoDl.jpg

Level 1 is populated with stacks of crates, a cluster of barrels, and the completed set of Galvanic Servohaulers.  The terminals served as objective markers two years ago and are placed throughout the gantry.

mAxwmWQl.jpg

I ran out of clear bulkhead lights, so the backside of the "floor" had its mounting holes covered with Opus Machina symbols from the Adeptus Titanicus Rules Set sprue.  At this point, I wasn't going to try upending the entire structure to run the lighting anyway.

snvyRIQl.jpg

9aTMKsXl.jpg

a4rmuCml.jpg

Level 2 is my favorite so far, and is populated with a Void Shield Generator, Promethium Relay Pipes, and Haemotrope Reactors.

Level 3 is still something of a mystery to me.  At the moment, it's full of computer terminals and technical greebles that I already had in my collection.  It's playable, but it lacks purpose at the moment.  The trouble is that, to allow for players to reach in and play on the shoulders of the Titan itself, I have to limit the height of scenery items (to avoid snagging on sleeves) while keeping them relatively large (to keep them from accidentally being knocked into the shaft).  It's a long way down to the bottom of the gantry...

Well, I have three more weeks to chew on this.

Truly inspiring work ! 

About the 3d level : 

- what about painting some more different areas on the floor, with maybe some kind of coming out of the floor

- what about a really really full of computer area, protected behind a wall of plexiglass, like a control area ; each computer could have some cabbling lying on the floor and ready to be connected on the titan

- I have a feeling that this 3d level should be rather empty anyway, with just enough stuff to frame the place : this is the place where, in a movie, the hero finally meet the bad guy, who makes his great evil speech before dramatically being killed, but right before dying he would tell his last secret..."your mother was...aaaaaaaaarghh"

I like the idea of clustering the computer terminals in one place.  And of the piles of munitions - I'll see what I can scrounge up!  I did snag the workbench and tools from the new Mekboy Workshop, which I'll have to de-Orkify but will make for another self-contained area.

I was really hoping to add a large shrine to the Omnissiah, but I don't know if those parts will arrive on time. 

• 3 weeks later...

The big day has come and gone.  I took a few candid pictures, though I'll have to apologize for the image quality:

6lRV7eml.jpg

xhgNLeNl.jpg

i665joXl.jpg

PGDX5XRl.jpg

eFVraoll.jpg

c9JDCO5l.jpg

After a short rest and resetting my hobby space, I can resume work on the Refinery.

Archived