Assault Marine/Sternguard Weps.

Zhodair

Hello. I’m looking for advice on what equip my Assault Marines and Sternguard with these days. I’m thinking about as much plasma as I can get, or Flamers still a thing. Figure 2 full size squads of each to arm.

Conventional wisdom with sternguard is regular bolsters, since you’re paying for them and the strategem anyway, though I’ve not used them, yet.

My assault marines are dual flamers and a power maul on the sergeant. I can’t say they’ve been much use against MEQ but against chaff I hope they fare better.

A large squad of sternguard with special issue bolters (and a storm of fire captain+lieutenant nearby) is quite powerful. It’s the cheapest way to play them, and if you don’t take full advantage of their stratagem then there better units to take heavy/special weapons on.

If your equipping your Sternguard with the Special Issue Boltguns, only ever equip one squad as you can only use the stratagem once. I recommend Storm Bolters if you have a second squad. Using Lias Issodon's ability you can slap them in Rapid Fire range and a 10 man quad would be spitting out 40 shots. Combine that with Storm of Fire for a tasty swarm removal unit :D

Conventional wisdom with sternguard is regular bolsters, since you’re paying for them and the strategem anyway, though I’ve not used them, yet.

My assault marines are dual flamers and a power maul on the sergeant. I can’t say they’ve been much use against MEQ but against chaff I hope they fare better.

These are my thoughts too

Power maul is a nice touch ^_^

My assault squad loadout:

Assault Squadx10, Jump Packs, Flamersx2 and Power Sword (Magnetised for when I feel it's a Lightning Claw day)

In theory they act as objective grabbers and back line harassers, but their bonus function is to distract the opponent from my Vanguard Vets who do the real work.

But my brain likes the idea of this:

Assault Squadx10, Jump Packs, Plasma Pistolx2, Evisceratorx2, Plasma Pistol & Thunderhammer on sergeant, with Meltabombs.

To give big guys a bad day. Shame the big double handed chainswords didn't get a points reduction like Power Fists and that Vanguard Vets are better at this.

Archived