Sanguinary Priest Gear

CCE1981

Using the INDEX, what is the best gear to outfit a Sanguinary Priest?

Right now I am building a force of Sanguinary Guard for my DIY Chapter and to go with them I want to give a Sanguinary Priest with a jump pack and I am interested in getting input on what weapon I should give him.

To keep him cheap I am really only considering a Power Sword, Axe, or Maul.  Given that he always gets the +1 Strength, plus the +1 to wound there are some interesting things that come up.  

Power Sword - effectively Str 5 with a +1 to wound - great against infantry - no real change against vehicles

Power Axe - effectively Str 6 with a +1 to wound - generally no real difference against infantry slightly worse against better armor - better against light vehicles

Power Maul - effetively Str 7 with the +1 to wound - much worse against infantry but wounds most vehicles on 3's

Lightning Claw - effectively Str 5 with a +1 to wound - and re-roll to wounds ouch!!!!

Thunder Hammer -  effectively Str 10 with a +1 to wound!!! - expensive

Only time you really ever want to go with lightning claws is if you are bringing two of them for the +1A.

Do what I do: bring the Sanguinor as well and then give the Sanguinary Priest 2x chainswords. He’ll have 6A hitting on 2’s +1 To Wound. He’s a support character...don’t make him any more of a target then he is already.

Yeah that's because it's not one of those "if you have two of them you get +1A" abilities. It's simply that each Chainsword allows you to make one additional Chainsword attack on top of whatever other attacks you make.

Agreed. Given he'll always be at S5, and there's a good chance he'll have a +1 to wound, any more strength feels like gilding the lily. Maybe give him a special pistol, if you have points spare? Plasma is always a reasonable option, and is only dangerous if you overcharge it, and Infernus is rather scary, if expensive.

Right now I am thinking of giving him a Power Sword and a Stormbolter.

This was a solid choice for captains in 5th edition, and is so now. 6pts for those two is a cheap upgrade that massively boosts their potential damage output.

I’m concerned about building a SangPriest with a jump pack because, like many, I’m worried that the Index version is going to vanish at some point. What are people’s thoughts on that? Do you just build it anyway and run it while you can?

I say: If you got it, flaunt it! 

Don't worry if it gets deprecated in the future unless you are unlikely to be playing in the next year. It may be possible they deprecate them in the yearly Chapter Approved but realistically they stand more to lose than gain at that point.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m concerned about building a SangPriest with a jump pack because, like many, I’m worried that the Index version is going to vanish at some point. What are people’s thoughts on that? Do you just build it anyway and run it while you can?

My sanguinary priest in terminator armor sends his regards. At the very least he looks cool and is an interesting conversation piece.

I converted mine the moment I bought him, with a sanguinary guard jump pack and a plasma pistol, both index options. I'm painting him with gold armor and I dont even care if he's no longer viable at any point. He's part of my Sanguinary guard.

Personally I use the Index data sheets as they were intended, to run units that I have built in the past. I would probably think twice about building a new model to an Index datasheet.

Having said that, if it is just one model, the loss is not too bad if they get squatted obsoleted at some point. As long as you are OK with the potential risk of disappointment down the line (and it is only a potential) then go ahead.

Personally I use the Index data sheets as they were intended, to run units that I have built in the past. I would probably think twice about building a new model to an Index datasheet.

Having said that, if it is just one model, the loss is not too bad if they get squatted obsoleted at some point. As long as you are OK with the potential risk of disappointment down the line (and it is only a potential) then go ahead.

+1

You can always DIY or Homebrew rules also because at that point they are simply legacy models that will not see play outside of casual games. I've been tinkering around with homebrew rules for the Sanguinary Priest in TDA, to play in campaigns/story mode games. I really hate that we lost that option. :(

I am making a Sanguinary style Captain, Librarian, Chaplain, and Standard Bearer, the base kit is 5 models.  Since the Sanguinary Priest has a Jump Pack in the Index, and I have an additional Narthecium piece I figured why not make him.  So literally I have the extra pieces anyways so why not make him, it is just a question of wargear.

Archived