Most Efficient Super Heavy Tank Destroyer?

Fire Wolf

2 Sicaran Venator would cripple or outright destroy a super heavy quite easily, and they look great.

Probably the best option available to Marines.

The Astartes Super Heavies are currently NOT efficient. I would hold off until Chapter Approved 2018 is released and see if their points are adjusted. The best of the bunch as of right now is the Astraeus as it's not cripplingly expensive points wise.

Otherwise a Shadowsword or a Knight Castellan are the only viable options.

Huh. Okay.

For a non-soup list option, those two Sicaran Venators sound like the best overall option. The problem is, should one or both be shot out of the fight, what picks up the slack?

Still, great point to raise, most FW models are not points efficient this edition.

Well the good news on those is barring something crazy, the movement on those guys is good enough you can hide T1 and reliable get shots off still. If it were me I’d take just one and saturate armor with dreads.

Seems we’re getting set up to be pretty scary dreadnought distraction wise. Side effect is as a distraction they still are excellent anti armor.

The Venators are very fast, easy to hide and don't suffer bs penalties when they move.

The Firepower is also tremendous. Two of them would output 6 Str12 ap-4 d6 damage shots that also have an additional rule to lower enemy bs, on top of 4 Las cannons and two heavy bolters.

Now, I personally love the look of the FW super heavy tanks and if you have your heart set on them I'd suggest you wait until CA comes out to see how they get adjusted. If you're playing power levels they fare better as those weren't hiked in the last Chapter Approved.

The Venators are very fast, easy to hide and don't suffer bs penalties when they move.

The Firepower is also tremendous. Two of them would output 6 Str12 ap-4 d6 damage shots that also have an additional rule to lower enemy bs, on top of 4 Las cannons and two heavy bolters.

if you get shot by 2 different neutrino lasers does the -1 stack?

you guys laugh but arguing what "that" (or "the") refers to is what i do all day for work (patent law....it doesn't say what you think it says)

Here is what the vindicare blind grenade says: "This weapon does not inflict any damage on the target. Instead, if a unit is hit by any blind grenades, your opponent must subtract 1 from all hit rolls made until the end of the turn" (emphasis added).

The Sicaran Venator packs a punch, but is a bit pricey. 

I'd suggest supplementing it with Laser Vindicators and laser Long Fangs instead of going with a second Venator. 

The LVD only has a 36 inch range, but it's a rhino chassis vehicle, and if it doesn't move, can double up its volley fire and put almost as much pain out as the Sicaran. Easier to hide in cover, twice the dakka. 

Once your opponent knows what's coming, put a rune priest in there and give them a stormcaller save, or pop up a void shield generator. 

I used to advise the Cerberus to draw fire from the Sicaran and the LVDs, but Cerby got priced into the nosebleed section. 

However, I will say this about the Cerberus:

It can fire its sponson and pintle mounted weapons into combat, and its main weapon (which is a bigger neutron array, so a beefier version of the Venator's weapon) OUT of combat. The thing takes a serious beating, and even dishes some out pretty well for a vehicle (especially with a heavy flamer and two las cannon sponsons), so the trick is to actively seek to lock the Cerberus in melee with a tarpit unit, and then use that as a "can't shoot me" shield against the Castellan. 

But, to be fair, you're paying a huge chunk of points. Just thought I'd add a few options for consideration.

The Sicaran Venator packs a punch, but is a bit pricey. 

I'd suggest supplementing it with Laser Vindicators and laser Long Fangs instead of going with a second Venator. 

The LVD only has a 36 inch range, but it's a rhino chassis vehicle, and if it doesn't move, can double up its volley fire and put almost as much pain out as the Sicaran. Easier to hide in cover, twice the dakka. 

Once your opponent knows what's coming, put a rune priest in there and give them a stormcaller save, or pop up a void shield generator. 

I used to advise the Cerberus to draw fire from the Sicaran and the LVDs, but Cerby got priced into the nosebleed section. 

However, I will say this about the Cerberus:

It can fire its sponson and pintle mounted weapons into combat, and its main weapon (which is a bigger neutron array, so a beefier version of the Venator's weapon) OUT of combat. The thing takes a serious beating, and even dishes some out pretty well for a vehicle (especially with a heavy flamer and two las cannon sponsons), so the trick is to actively seek to lock the Cerberus in melee with a tarpit unit, and then use that as a "can't shoot me" shield against the Castellan. 

But, to be fair, you're paying a huge chunk of points. Just thought I'd add a few options for consideration.

Purely hypothetical, however...

Laser Vindicator Destroyer

Sicaran Venator

Cerberus?

Typhon?

Leviathan with double Melta Lances?

?'s are questions, but, possible options.

Archived